PDA

View Full Version : Cliff Politte in 2007?

southside rocks
08-22-2006, 02:55 PM
So Politte had surgery a week or so ago, and it turned out, I read, that his rotator cuff was about 40% torn and that there were a lot more bone fragments floating around in there than they had expected to find.

Does this explain why Cliff went from awesome to pitiful in the space of one season?

And if he rehabs over the winter, will he be invited to spring training at the Sox camp next February?? (I know he's not on the team; he's not currently with any team.)

Okay, I confess: the current pitching blahs have me fantasizing about the return of Polecat Cliff Politte, the guy with the 2.00 ERA whom we last saw in 2005.

CHIsoxNation
08-22-2006, 02:58 PM
I don't see him returning. IMO, Riske is better and more proven then Cliff is anyway. Cliff had one fantastic year, last year, and Riske has been pretty solid over his career. With Macdougal at the end of the pen, Riske will be just fine in the earlier innings.

Chicken Dinner
08-22-2006, 02:59 PM
He's been released so he's a free agent. I would think someone would take a shot with him but I don't see it being the Sox (or at least the White ones).

itsnotrequired
08-22-2006, 03:00 PM
I want him back so he can do those Waste Management spots at the ballpark. Dye just doesn't have the same flair.

caulfield12
08-22-2006, 03:05 PM
Makes you admire Radke even more for having persevered through almost the same exact situation while pitching in huge games in the heat of a pennant race. One of the reason Hawk is his #1 fan. And one of the reasons we all make fun of Prior and Wood.

bluestar
08-22-2006, 03:10 PM
Makes you admire Radke even more for having persevered through almost the same exact situation while pitching in huge games in the heat of a pennant race. One of the reason Hawk is his #1 fan. And one of the reasons we all make fun of Prior and Wood.

I don't know how Radke is doing this. It borders on being inhuman (or super-human) if he is in as much pain as has been portrayed in the media.

Baby Fisk
08-22-2006, 03:14 PM
I don't know how Radke is doing this. It borders on being inhuman (or super-human) if he is in as much pain as has been portrayed in the media.
Yeah, but when Radke's arm finally becomes unattached, shoots out of his sleeve and flies halfway to the plate in mid-delivery in front of a horrified crowd, it's gonna be one hell of a highlight.

Chicken Dinner
08-22-2006, 03:34 PM
Yeah, but when Radke's arm finally becomes unattached, shoots out of his sleeve and flies halfway to the plate in mid-delivery in front of a horrified crowd, it's gonna be one hell of a highlight.

Web Gem if Mauer catches it. :D:

NoShoesJoe
08-22-2006, 03:53 PM
If the pitch hits the arm and it drops fair, is it a live ball? Or is it HBP, or is it a putout to #1, or an E-1?

Nellie_Fox
08-22-2006, 03:55 PM
Web Gem if Mauer catches it. :D:And then fires it to second to nail an attempted base-stealer.

soxinem1
08-22-2006, 03:59 PM
He'll be in Tampa Bay for ST next year.

cheezheadsoxfan
08-22-2006, 04:16 PM

Shades of Sandy Koufax and his arthritic elbow.

Fake Chet Lemon
08-22-2006, 04:19 PM
I could see a team like Cleveland or Cincinnati taking a chance on him. The Sox are in pretty decent shape in the pen.

jdm2662
08-22-2006, 05:10 PM
Radke's contract is up and says he is going to retire at the end of the year. Otherwise, he'd probably get the surgery. If he's really as injured as he is protayed to be, more power to him.

fusillirob1983
08-22-2006, 06:46 PM
I don't see why not to try and bring him to spring training. If the Sox get rid of Javy or Freddy and movie McCarthy into the rotation, then there'll be an open bullpen spot.

caulfield12
08-22-2006, 07:06 PM
Because he can't even lift his arm...he wants to recover and spend quality time with his kids. He has more than enough money.

SpartanSoxFan
08-22-2006, 07:57 PM
I'm glad Cliff is on the road to recovery, and wish him well in the future. His contributions in '05 won't be soon forgotten.

That said, I have to wonder about the true health of our starters, noteably Garcia. We all make fun of the Flubbs brass for not being truthful about the condition of Prior and Wood, but I think this defensiveness is more common around baseball than we think. Especially as the heat of a pennant race increases, you don't want your competitors to have any intangible edge in their heads. I guess in a few months we will know the truth.

Sox-o-matic
08-22-2006, 08:10 PM
Politte was marched out there for two innings at a time because the Sox needed to see something, but he failed miserably time and time again.

Face it, Cliff was thrown to the wolves (and rightfully so). After being torn up and lit up and booed out of the building, the last thing anyone wants to see is his triumphant rehabbing process back home.

Maybe if Cliff rehabs with another team and regains his form we can have him here again in a couple years. Probably not, but who knows?