PDA

View Full Version : Lofton

Daver
02-22-2002, 11:17 PM
From CNN/SI

TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) -- Kenny Lofton is looking forward to playing for the top team in the American League Central division again.

It just won't be with the Cleveland Indians.

Lofton signed a free-agent contract with the Chicago White Sox after hitting a career-low .261 for the Indians last season.

"I look at it as Cleveland is going to be looking at our coattails," Lofton said of the team he spent nine years with. "It will be strange to play against Cleveland, but so far a lot of guys seem excited that I'm over here."

That's because they hope Lofton can help the White Sox the way he helped the Indians reach the postseason six times and the World Series in 1995.

The six-time All-Star signed a one-year deal for $1.025 million with Chicago after earning $8 million last year. And though the contract includes bonuses, it is still lower than market value.

"I looked at the different opportunities that I had and this was a team that won 83 games last year while they were banged up," Lofton said. Cleveland lost four good players (Juan Gonzalez, Roberto Alomar, Marty Cordova and Lofton) from last year's team, and that's going to be hard to replace. This was an easy decision."

WinningUgly!
02-22-2002, 11:32 PM
"I look at it as Cleveland is going to be looking at our coattails,"

Funny how I like his cocky comments now that he's on our side. :D: