PDA

View Full Version : David Wells cleared waivers?

Fenway
08-22-2006, 03:27 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2006/08/waiver_deal_for.html

The Yankees did not put a claim in on their former starter, which could come back to haunt them if the Red Sox trade him to a contender such as the Twins, White Sox, or As. Wells was the most effective starter for Boston during its lost weekend against New York.

NoShoesJoe
08-22-2006, 03:29 PM
...grumbles to himself, "he's still a dirtbag!"

caulfield12
08-22-2006, 03:32 PM
Let's just hope he doesn't go to the Twins.

It would be logical, they can't count on Garza or Liriano down the stretch.

And you know they would prefer to help a smaller market team like the A's, Twins or Tigers that could get revenge on the Yankees by beating them with superior pitching in the playoffs. Maybe even the Angels...who seem to have the Yankees' number recently.

soltrain21
08-22-2006, 03:34 PM
Man I hate that fat piece of crap.

southside rocks
08-22-2006, 03:40 PM
I can't by any stretch of the imagination see Wells coming back to the White Sox, not even if he could help them get to the post-season.

I read his book, and it was almost as much a waste of paper as Jose Canseco's "book."

Flight #24
08-22-2006, 03:50 PM
I know he's had issues, and a history with the Sox. But that said, I think David Wells the player is exactly what this team needs. Assuming he can be acquired without giving up a significant prospect, he provides:

- A guy with proven big-game pitching experience
- A guy who's pitched solidly since coming off the DL and who would be one starter not going through "dead arm"
- Attitude. I think one thing missing this year is the "edge" that you get from having a Carl Everett or David Wells on the team who'll get in someone's face if they don't perform
- A message to the starters (and the rest of the team). Perform or we'll go get someone who will.

Move Vazquez to the 'pen. Send down Cotts to work on his stuff or begin the conversion to a starter. Time is getting short and every single win from here on out is huge.

spiffie
08-22-2006, 03:53 PM
I know he's had issues, and a history with the Sox. But that said, I think David Wells the player is exactly what this team needs. Assuming he can be acquired without giving up a significant prospect, he provides:

- A guy who's pitched solidly since coming off the DL and who would be one starter not going through "dead arm"
- Attitude. I think one thing missing this year is the "edge" that you get from having a Carl Everett or David Wells on the team who'll get in someone's face if they don't perform
- A message to the starters (and the rest of the team). Perform or we'll go get someone who will.

Move Vazquez to the 'pen. Send down Cotts to work on his stuff or begin the conversion to a starter. Time is getting short and every single win from here on out is huge.
Don't you know any moment now Dr. Cooper is going to use his Special Snake Oil to make Javy start pitching 8 inning/3 ER starts every time out?

Sure, sign Wells. Why the hell not? Vazquez looks so confused out there that I can't see his confidence going lower since it already is down digging for oil somewhere deep in the Earth's crust. Take a shot, if he sucks, dump his fat ass.

maurice
08-22-2006, 03:58 PM
if the Red Sox trade him to a contender

So you think that the Red Sox might White Flag the season in the next week or so?

caulfield12
08-22-2006, 03:59 PM

I don't even think Cotts has a quality fastball at this point (his velocity has been down too), so I don't know how he would be expected to develop at least two more average major league pitches when he doesn't even have one right now.

08-22-2006, 03:59 PM
I think the big mans tank is finally empty

LuvSox
08-22-2006, 04:01 PM
Man I hate that fat piece of crap.

**** that fat ****.

caulfield12
08-22-2006, 04:03 PM
I think the big mans tank is finally empty

He pitched one of his best games of the season in arguably the most important game of the season yesterday.

Contreras hasn't show up twice now in the last week. The Friday start against DET at home was great, but we need 2/3, not 1/3.

I, personally, would rather see Wells than either Vazquez or Garcia at this point.

Baby Fisk
08-22-2006, 04:09 PM
I'd rather put the season on the shoulders of McCarthy.

(Yes! yes! I know this is a dead horse! I'm just using the example to stress my vehement distaste for Wells).

The Immigrant
08-22-2006, 04:18 PM
David Wells, huh?

:chunks

caulfield12
08-22-2006, 04:19 PM
David Wells, huh?

How are Vazquez or Garcia better?

Ol' No. 2
08-22-2006, 04:30 PM
So you think that the Red Sox might White Flag the season in the next week or so?That's the key question. Theo would be torched in the media and by the fans. But then, they're none too happy now, so it's hard to see how it could get much worse.

itsnotrequired
08-22-2006, 04:32 PM

Less chunks.

Fenway
08-22-2006, 04:37 PM
So you think that the Red Sox might White Flag the season in the next week or so?

well the last place a reeling East Coast team wants to be is California :(: and they start the trip with Kyle Snyder pitching :o:

I can't believe they would white flag it but

A. Cavatica
08-22-2006, 04:56 PM
Wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole.

Sargeant79
08-22-2006, 05:09 PM
Ain't gonna happen.

For argument's sake, let's just say the White Sox would trade for him. The Red Sox are only 4 games out of a not-particularly-crowded wild card race. They aren't going to help out one of two other teams that they are competing with for that.

MarySwiss
08-22-2006, 05:11 PM
David Wells back to the Sox?

:bundy

spiffie
08-22-2006, 05:17 PM
One thing to think about in this...Buehrle has spoken many times about what a positive influence Wells was on him. I wonder if perhaps a Wells pickup might be able to help straighten Mark out somewhat. Long shot admittedly, but something to think about.

southside rocks
08-22-2006, 08:02 PM
One thing to think about in this...Buehrle has spoken many times about what a positive influence Wells was on him. I wonder if perhaps a Wells pickup might be able to help straighten Mark out somewhat. Long shot admittedly, but something to think about.

I thought Sandy Alomar was supposed to put Humpty Dumpty back together again. Now David Wells has to help?

Don't mind me, I'm listening to the Sox-Tigers game and not particularly enjoying it so far. :whiner:

maurice
08-22-2006, 08:04 PM
Even if the Red Sox continue to tank, I can't see how the players they'd get for Wells could be worth the massive PR hit.

MDF3530
08-22-2006, 08:31 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2006/08/waiver_deal_for.html

The Yankees did not put a claim in on their former starter, which could come back to haunt them if the Red Sox trade him to a contender such as the Twins, White Sox, or As. Wells was the most effective starter for Boston during its lost weekend against New York.I do not want Shrek back.

Brian26
08-22-2006, 09:07 PM
David Wells, huh?

I have to admit I had that same attitude about AJ Pierzynski when the rumors started floating that KW was going after him.

Foulke You
08-23-2006, 02:16 PM
I do not want Shrek back.
Shrek! Haha...nice.:D:

David Wells in a Sox uniform again? I don't want to see it. He is 43 years old, fat, out of shape, and an injury waiting to happen. He is 2W-3L with an E.R.A of 5.40 this year. I don't see how he is an improvement over anything we have in the rotation already.

Plus, he has already shown in 2001 that he has little interest in pitching for the Chicago White Sox. He showed up to camp out of shape and seemed uninterested in leading our staff to the playoffs. The only redeeming quality he had in a White Sox uniform was coming up with the nickname "Kotex Boy" for Jay Mariotti. Can we honestly count on Wells to show the focus and desire he shows when he wears a Yankee uniform? Don't think so.

MUsoxfan
08-23-2006, 02:20 PM
I've always been a huge David Wells fan. It certainly wouldn't pain me to see him in the silver and black again

Tekijawa
08-23-2006, 02:23 PM

Pound for Pound... they are much better...

Tekijawa
08-23-2006, 02:31 PM

The Yankees did not put a claim in on their former starter, which could come back to haunt them if the Red Sox trade him to a contender such as the Twins, White Sox, or As. Wells was the most effective starter for Boston during its lost weekend against New York.

I have a couple of questions... in order to clear waivers wouldn't the Twins, White Sox and A's have to pass on him first in order for the Yankees to say no? So, it's obvious that none of those teams will pick him up. Second What would it matter any way? The Yankees are not fighting for the Wild Card spot and I don't think that Wells would be more than a 5th starter on the Twins or White Sox, so the Yankees wouldn't really see him in the post season anyway...:?: So What's The Story here?