PDA

View Full Version : Verducci is on Board

unclegary
08-22-2006, 02:25 PM
Just heard Tom Verducci of SI tell Dan Patrick that the White Sox are the team to beat in the American League. I figure that he will no longer be welcomed on ESPN radio after that comment.

soltrain21
08-22-2006, 02:33 PM
I wish our team felt like they were the team to beat. Cmon guys...

eriqjaffe
08-22-2006, 02:35 PM
Are you sure Verducci wasn't speaking in teal? 'Cause the Sox sure aren't playing like it this week.

southside rocks
08-22-2006, 02:51 PM
Are you sure Verducci wasn't speaking in teal? 'Cause the Sox sure aren't playing like it this week.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

jenn2080
08-22-2006, 02:56 PM

nor last....nor july.

nedlug
08-22-2006, 03:03 PM
If not us, then who? The other contenders have problems as well, some of which are much worse than our lacksadaisical (sp?) play over, well, the whole year...

Detroit = unproven/young, weary arms, Minnesota = Liriano injured, Boston = awful pitching, NY = pitching/bullpen issues.

I would still say the Sox are the team to beat... if they pull their heads out of their you-know-whats.

buehrle4cy05
08-22-2006, 03:05 PM
Unless you are the 2003 Angels or 2004 Marlins, the team that won the World Series the previous year is the team to beat until otherwise noted.

batmanZoSo
08-22-2006, 03:08 PM
Remember that last year at this time none of us would've dreamed that in two months we'd be riding an 11-1 tear to a World Series win. Things change. Fact is the White Sox are the best team and the reigning champs.

As for things changing...I'm not telling anyone to wait or do this or that. But I've seen this team turn it on when they have to on many occasion and it was impressive. Here's hoping they can do it again.

balke
08-22-2006, 03:12 PM
I just wanna take time in this thread to remind everyone that right now the Sox are still a top playoff spot contender, whether that means they are division favorites or not.

If I was going against this team, I wouldn't be looking forward. 5 great starters, and a the bullpen looks like its all in order. And this season it'll be Jim Thome hitting for Carl Everett.

Johnny Mostil
08-22-2006, 03:21 PM
If not us, then who? The other contenders have problems as well, some of which are much worse than our lacksadaisical (sp?) play over, well, the whole year...

Detroit = unproven/young, weary arms, Minnesota = Liriano injured, Boston = awful pitching, NY = pitching/bullpen issues.

I would still say the Sox are the team to beat... if they pull their heads out of their you-know-whats.

I'd love to agree with you, but . . .

--when I see Detroit I see a team that's beaten the Sox the past three in their home park (with three more to go there this week)

--when I see Minnesota I see a team that's beaten the Sox five of the past six they've played

--when I see the Yankees (whom I'd call the team to beat right now) I see a team that's beaten the Sox four of six (and who just buried the Red Sox in Boston in a way the White Sox aren't going to bury the Tigers in Detroit this week)

--when I see Boston I see a team that came very close to sweeping the Sox in Chicago.

Of course, I'd love even more for the Sox to pull their heads out of their collective behinds and make me look like the wrong end of a horse for doubting them . . .

balke
08-22-2006, 03:31 PM
I'd love to agree with you, but . . .

--when I see Detroit I see a team that's beaten the Sox the past three in their home park (with three more to go there this week)

--when I see Minnesota I see a team that's beaten the Sox five of the past six they've played

--when I see the Yankees (whom I'd call the team to beat right now) I see a team that's beaten the Sox four of six (and who just buried the Red Sox in Boston in a way the White Sox aren't going to bury the Tigers in Detroit this week)

--when I see Boston I see a team that came very close to sweeping the Sox in Chicago.

Of course, I'd love even more for the Sox to pull their heads out of their collective behinds and make me look like the wrong end of a horse for doubting them . . .

Don't worry about it, I'm sure that'll happen. Mark Buehrle will wake up. If Freddy gets some rest, he'll wake up. Jose.... we'll see I guess. But this team is going to be in the playoffs, mark my words. And if you make the playoffs, we'll see what goes from there.

Tekijawa
08-22-2006, 03:32 PM
Maybe he means that the other good teams are beating us so much that we are now the team to play and beat?

pasquasroachclip
08-22-2006, 03:32 PM
I just wanna take time in this thread to remind everyone that right now the Sox are still a top playoff spot contender, whether that means they are division favorites or not.

If I was going against this team, I wouldn't be looking forward. 5 great starters, and a the bullpen looks like its all in order. And this season it'll be Jim Thome hitting for Carl Everett.

Five great starters? Not this staff. You have five starters who are capable of shutting down the opposition at any time, but haven't shown the consistency to warrant being called a great staff.

tebman
08-22-2006, 03:36 PM
Don't worry about it, I'm sure that'll happen. Mark Buehrle will wake up. If Freddy gets some rest, he'll wake up. Jose.... we'll see I guess. But this team is going to be in the playoffs, mark my words. And if you make the playoffs, we'll see what goes from there.
I like the way you think! :cheers:

Johnny Mostil
08-22-2006, 03:48 PM

If I can make it until October without looking like the wrong end of a horse over anything, then I'll be happier than I should be . . . :redface:

And I do remember thinking all was lost (or at least that the Sox wouldn't do much in the postseason) after the Halos swept the Sox in Chicago last September . . .

PKalltheway
08-22-2006, 03:55 PM
I don't think any AL team wants to face the White Sox. Even though they're underachieving a bit, this is still a VERY DANGEROUS TEAM. This team has a lineup that boasts FOUR people with 25 or more home runs, a solid 5 man rotation (for anyone that doesn't like this rotation, feel free to go back to 2002 and see how great of a rotation that was), and a three headed monster in the bullpen called ThorntonMacDougalJenks. Yeah, I still think they're the team to beat. The Sox will be in the 2006 postseason. Mark my words.:cool:

JB98
08-22-2006, 05:12 PM

Of the four teams you listed, the only one with worse pitching problems than the Sox is Boston.

I think the Yankees are the team to beat. They have turned it on since the break, and Abreu and Lidle have been solid acquisitions.

fquaye149
08-22-2006, 05:17 PM

Try looking at things this way: look at Detroit as the team that's losing the season series v. us

Try looking at Boston as the team that won't make the playoffs

Try looking at Minnesota as a team whose best pitcher might not start the rest of the season and whose rotation is none too spectacular beyond Santana

Try looking at NYY as a team with shoddy pitching all through their staff

fquaye149
08-22-2006, 05:19 PM
Of the four teams you listed, the only one with worse pitching problems than the Sox is Boston.

I think the Yankees are the team to beat. They have turned it on since the break, and Abreu and Lidle have been solid acquisitions.

The diff b/t The Sox and the Dead Sox is that our staff has one legitimate ace (despite his last two outings), a young guy who's pitching like an ace, two guys who have been pitching way below their career averages, and a guy with a million dollar arm and a head that varies between 5 cents and a half-dollar.

Point being, there's a lot more reason to be optimistic that our guys might finally pull their heads out of their collective asses...

that said, i've been saying that all year and it hasn't yet seemed to have come true.

digdagdug23
08-22-2006, 05:20 PM
Remember that last year at this time none of us would've dreamed that in two months we'd be riding an 11-1 tear to a World Series win. Things change. Fact is the White Sox are the best team and the reigning champs.

As for things changing...I'm not telling anyone to wait or do this or that. But I've seen this team turn it on when they have to on many occasion and it was impressive. Here's hoping they can do it again.

:Rocker:

And the caped crusader has spoken the most prophetic words to date.........I may have to change my sig (sorry Illini).

JB98
08-22-2006, 05:24 PM
The diff b/t The Sox and the Dead Sox is that our staff has one legitimate ace (despite his last two outings), a young guy who's pitching like an ace, two guys who have been pitching way below their career averages, and a guy with a million dollar arm and a head that varies between 5 cents and a half-dollar.

Point being, there's a lot more reason to be optimistic that our guys might finally pull their heads out of their collective asses...

that said, i've been saying that all year and it hasn't yet seemed to have come true.

We've been saying, "Wait until the Sox get hot" pretty much all year. This is a helluva team on paper, but for whatever reason, it just hasn't translated to the field. At least not as well as we had hoped. 73-51 is still a good record, but I feel we should be better. After 124 games, chances are what you see is what you get.

fquaye149
08-22-2006, 05:35 PM
We've been saying, "Wait until the Sox get hot" pretty much all year. This is a helluva team on paper, but for whatever reason, it just hasn't translated to the field. At least not as well as we had hoped. 73-51 is still a good record, but I feel we should be better. After 124 games, chances are what you see is what you get.

But, like the 2003 Sox, this is a team you wouldn't want to catch in a short series.

Of course we know the 2003 Sox didn't make the playoffs so it's a moot point. But we sure ain't out of the hunt yet.

If we make the playoffs, I think we have as good a shot as any to win it.

samram
08-22-2006, 05:38 PM
I don't think any AL team wants to face the White Sox. Even though they're underachieving a bit, this is still a VERY DANGEROUS TEAM. This team has a lineup that boasts FOUR people with 25 or more home runs, a solid 5 man rotation (for anyone that doesn't like this rotation, feel free to go back to 2002 and see how great of a rotation that was), and a three headed monster in the bullpen called ThorntonMacDougalJenks. Yeah, I still think they're the team to beat. The Sox will be in the 2006 postseason. Mark my words.:cool:

The fact that the 2006 rotation is better than the 2002 rotation is small comfort (by the way, the 2002 team ERA was 4.53, this year it's 4.60, but that was due to a pretty solid bullpen that year).

Anyway, I'm still waiting to see some shred of evidence that the starting pitchers can have consistent good starts for the next five or six weeks. I want to believe it will happen, but I can't say I think it will. In that case, the boys had better get to hammering away.

JB98
08-22-2006, 05:39 PM
But, like the 2003 Sox, this is a team you wouldn't want to catch in a short series.

Of course we know the 2003 Sox didn't make the playoffs so it's a moot point. But we sure ain't out of the hunt yet.

If we make the playoffs, I think we have as good a shot as any to win it.

No question. It's a crapshoot once the playoffs begin. If we make the postseason, we can just use whichever three starting pitchers are throwing the best. Our main problem this season is we can't count on our five starters to give us quality starts. It's a lot easier to get three guys pitching well than it is five.

I stated the other day, if we can get Jose and Mark to step up and help Garland out, we can still win it. But those are big ifs right now.

Ol' No. 2
08-22-2006, 05:40 PM

If we make the playoffs, I think we have as good a shot as any to win it.From my perspective, I'd say the opposite is true. Post-season play puts a premium on pitching consistency, and if there's one thing the Sox pitching has lacked above all else, it's consistency. You can't afford to have a few bad games or you'll be out before you have a chance to bounce back. Even if you do get hot for one series, if you can't keep it up, that's as far as you'll go.

samram
08-22-2006, 05:42 PM
No question. It's a crapshoot once the playoffs begin. If we make the postseason, we can just use whichever three starting pitchers are throwing the best. Our main problem this season is we can't count on our five starters to give us quality starts. It's a lot easier to get three guys pitching well than it is five.

I stated the other day, if we can get Jose and Mark to step up and help Garland out, we can still win it. But those are big ifs right now.

Yeah, this is a huge start for Buehrle tonight. I want to see him get back to pitching to spots and changing speeds and maybe hitting 89 on the gun. This Detroit team is not an offensive juggernaut, as we saw last weekend, and I feel Mark needs to remind them of that.

JB98
08-22-2006, 05:44 PM
Yeah, this is a huge start for Buehrle tonight. I want to see him get back to pitching to spots and changing speeds and maybe hitting 89 on the gun. This Detroit team is not an offensive juggernaut, as we saw last weekend, and I feel Mark needs to remind them of that.

In addition, Mark is the unquestioned leader of this pitching staff. When he started to struggle, so did several others. If he starts pitching better, maybe the rest will fall in line. Wishful thinking, maybe, but it's a hope.

Anyway, we need a win tonight, and Mark needs to lead us.

fquaye149
08-22-2006, 05:45 PM
From my perspective, I'd say the opposite is true. Post-season play puts a premium on pitching consistency, and if there's one thing the Sox pitching has lacked above all else, it's consistency. You can't afford to have a few bad games or you'll be out before you have a chance to bounce back. Even if you do get hot for one series, if you can't keep it up, that's as far as you'll go.

Alls I know is after that September series in NY we looked like world beaters (in 2003). You know, the one where Manuel started Cotts in game 3.

We had Loaiza and the second-half Buehrle who were beyond consistent, and beyond Koch, a pretty damned good bullpen.

Some Yankees players said they were terrified to meet us in the playoffs right after that series.

This is what I'm referring to.

PushnThaEscalade
08-22-2006, 05:56 PM
Throughout all this season, I may not have posted this, but I will say it now: We will win it all again. It definitely won't be as dominating as last year, but I for one have no reason to be worried right now. We're still in contention, and this year isn't like all the recent years we haven't made the playoffs due to the fact that in those years (with the exception of 2003) we were barely playing .500. We are 22 games over .500 in mid-august.
Baseball season is a marathon. We will get it together. In the last calendar year, we've been through a meltdown, a ride to the promised land, inconsistency, and a million other things. We're gonna be fine. Panicking won't get us anywhere

:smile:

SpartanSoxFan
08-22-2006, 05:56 PM
I feel like Don Shula in that new Nike High School Football commercial...

http://www.brooksinternational.com/images/don_shula.jpg

"You know what you're capable of doing. But I haven't seen it, and I want to see it..."

That's precisley how I feel about the Sox right now. I'm not suprised Verducci said what he did given the track record of his writing. I'm scared to death in 6 weeks we will all be saying this will be one of the best teams, if not the best team, in history NOT to make the playoffs...:(:

Ol' No. 2
08-22-2006, 05:58 PM
Alls I know is after that September series in NY we looked like world beaters (in 2003). You know, the one where Manuel started Cotts in game 3.

We had Loaiza and the second-half Buehrle who were beyond consistent, and beyond Koch, a pretty damned good bullpen.

Some Yankees players said they were terrified to meet us in the playoffs right after that series.

This is what I'm referring to.Loaiza sort of tapered off the last two months of the season, IIRC, but the Sox had Buehrle and Colon, so they had a pretty solid 1-2 punch. Right now, the Sox have just a 1 punch. You really need three solid, consistent starters. If the fourth is just so-so, you can get by because he might pitch only a couple of games.

kitekrazy
08-22-2006, 06:00 PM
Just heard Tom Verducci of SI tell Dan Patrick that the White Sox are the team to beat in the American League.

That could have a different meaning. Maybe he meant they are easy to beat.

SpartanSoxFan
08-22-2006, 06:02 PM
Loaiza sort of tapered off the last two months of the season, IIRC, but the Sox had Buehrle and Colon, so they had a pretty solid 1-2 punch. Right now, the Sox have just a 1 punch. You really need three solid, consistent starters. If the fourth is just so-so, you can get by because he might pitch only a couple of games.

Absolutely amazing that we had Colon, Loiaza and Buehrle that year and still couldn't seal the deal...

kitekrazy
08-22-2006, 06:05 PM
Try looking at NYY as a team with shoddy pitching all through their staff

We don't have to try when it comes to looking at the Sox starting pitching is shoddy. It's difficult to have confidence in any Sox starter whos name is not John Garland.

paciorek1983
08-22-2006, 06:49 PM
. It's difficult to have confidence in any Sox starter whos name is not John Garland.

Did you or anyone ever think we'd see that sentence?

Baseball is a crazy game. I am very disappointed with the way this team has played most of the year. They're really making me so sick right now that I don't even want to watch them. But, if they can at least keep pace in the wildcard race, their chances are very good. It's all about who gets hot at the end of the season, as long as you're in the race.

kitekrazy
08-22-2006, 09:14 PM
Absolutely amazing that we had Colon, Loiaza and Buehrle that year and still couldn't seal the deal...

That was the typical station to station basbeall complimented with poor defense and also the Sox crapping their pants in big games.

Lip Man 1
08-22-2006, 09:29 PM
Spartan:

It's called losing NINE games to the putrid Tigers. Sort of like losing seven games to Cleveland (so far) and six games to Kansas City (so far) this season.

Lip

kitekrazy
08-22-2006, 09:32 PM

Baseball is a crazy game. I am very disappointed with the way this team has played most of the year. They're really making me so sick right now that I don't even want to watch them. But, if they can at least keep pace in the wildcard race, their chances are very good. It's all about who gets hot at the end of the season, as long as you're in the race.

Definitely . Some are really into changin the whole team for next season. Usually when ownership does that it becomes a fire sale. We could be the current Florida Marlins next year.

I don't see Detroit playing at this same level next season nor do I see the Sox playing so dismal.

Some teams win it all when a good number of players have career years. Looking at Mark Bs. stat, maybe he was due for a bad year.

You just don't dump guys for having one bad year.

viagracat
08-22-2006, 09:35 PM

Right now the Sox still have the WC lead. With all the dark cloudage around here, that's easy to forget. Lot of teams wish they were in the Sox's position.

soltrain21
08-22-2006, 09:44 PM
It's difficult to have confidence in any Sox starter whos name is not John Garland.

Well crap, we have no confidence in anyone, then.

batmanZoSo
08-22-2006, 10:34 PM

Yeah, unfortunate, but there are really two simple reason for that: Buehrle and Konerko. They ****ed it up.

kitekrazy
08-22-2006, 10:38 PM
Yeah, unfortunate, but there are really two simple reason for that: Buehrle and Konerko. They ****ed it up.

It wasn't just them. They laid down playing the Twins. Frank and Maggs were no shows during big games.

PKalltheway
08-22-2006, 10:52 PM
That was the typical station to station basbeall complimented with poor defense and also the Sox crapping their pants in big games.
You're right about that. That team (along with the 2003 Phillies) was the most underachieving team I've ever seen. They had soooo much talent, but they **** themselves in big games, especially that September series in Minnesota where they got swept. How in the hell can you annihilate the best team in the AL in Yankee Stadium, but you can't seal the deal against the Twins?! Jerry Manuel is partly to blame, too. I think he killed the team's momentum when he decided to start Neal Cotts in game three in the New York series.

kitekrazy
08-22-2006, 11:06 PM
I think he killed the team's momentum when he decided to start Neal Cotts in game three in the New York series.

Oh yes. I remember Hawk saying, "then I guess that game's not important".

If you remember when Cleveland was the big rival, when the Sox called up guys from the minors, Gene Lamont would start them against Cleveland.

Common sense tells you that you should create the best conditions for success with kids up from the minors. You sure as hell don't have them start against Cleveland when you are 6 games out in August.

Ruffcorn was one of those gold plated prospects every team was after. I just wonder how much they screwed up a potential career by having him pitch against the killer lineup Cleveland had at that time.