PDA

View Full Version : Great 2006 Guillen moves (?)

Fake Chet Lemon
08-22-2006, 10:42 AM
In terms of player development, what great LONG-TERM moves or non-moves has Ozzie contributed this year? Any?

Past examples, he stayed with Crede last year when most of us wanted him benched in June. Brilliant. Ozzie kept Garland in to put through problems and develop. Brilliant. Ozzie made Iguchi a #2 hitter last year, brilliant.

What has Oz contributed this year- other than sticking with Pods and Cotts too long and retarding the development of Brandon McCarthy? Players like Uribe may have taken a half-step backwards. I still want Ozzie for the long run, he's the man. But like players having an off year, it appears this year was a miserable year for a young manager and maximizing roster talent. Or have I missed a great contribution or two?????????

southside rocks
08-22-2006, 10:48 AM
He and KW stuck with Brian Anderson. Big kudos to them for that.

He and Coop turned Matt Thornton from a wild-armed slingshot into a valuable and intimidating relief pitcher.

He's given all his bench players enough playing time to make them loose and able to contribute, which is why even ESPN says that this team has the best bench in baseball right now.

Fake Chet Lemon
08-22-2006, 10:52 AM
He and KW stuck with Brian Anderson. Big kudos to them for that.

He and Coop turned Matt Thornton from a wild-armed slingshot into a valuable and intimidating relief pitcher.

He's given all his bench players enough playing time to make them loose and able to contribute, which is why even ESPN says that this team has the best bench in baseball right now.

Did they "stick with Anderson"? Or was Mackowiak just brutal in CF and gave them no choice?

Ozzie has the best bench in baseball because Kenny Williams got it for him. Kenny had a good year, Ozzie did not.

southside rocks
08-22-2006, 11:00 AM
Did they "stick with Anderson"? Or was Mackowiak just brutal in CF and gave them no choice?

Ozzie has the best bench in baseball because Kenny Williams got it for him. Kenny had a good year, Ozzie did not.

They had plenty of choice about the CF position: they could have sent BA to Charlotte for some more seasoning and traded for a position player. (The words "Kenny Williams" and "no choice" in the same sentence do not compute for me.)

The bench: KW gave Ozzie the bodies; Ozzie plays them. And that makes all the difference.

I'll agree to disagree on this. :wink:

CaptainBallz
08-22-2006, 11:01 AM
Ozzie does deserve props for sticking with Anderson until the platoon. Maybe it was initially a good idea since BA did start turning it around. It is now time for it to end, though.

Props for keeping the bench active and fresh (which doesn't negate my point about BA before anyone tries to say it does).

Props for actually trying to manage the most schizoid baseball team in recent memory.

KMKsuburbannoise
08-22-2006, 11:05 AM
I think there was a lot of gambles that failed Ozzie this year but keeping anderson in the outfield or even just keeping him in the majors was a good movr and playing pablo more was also good.

Tragg
08-22-2006, 08:17 PM
In terms of player development, what great LONG-TERM moves or non-moves has Ozzie contributed this year? Any?

Past examples, he stayed with Crede last year when most of us wanted him benched in June. Brilliant. Ozzie kept Garland in to put through problems and develop. Brilliant. Ozzie made Iguchi a #2 hitter last year, brilliant.

What has Oz contributed this year- other than sticking with Pods and Cotts too long and retarding the development of Brandon McCarthy? Players like Uribe may have taken a half-step backwards. I still want Ozzie for the long run, he's the man. But like players having an off year, it appears this year was a miserable year for a young manager and maximizing roster talent. Or have I missed a great contribution or two????????? Dont' forget Alomar...someone actually gave up talent for that .150 hitter (we should have gotten him for free, if we had to have the old man on this team for some reason).
I don't understand use of McCarthy (the least important innings) and his steadfast refusal to start him.
With such a power core, we should be working to get on base and let that core drive them in; too many hitters seem to persist in this "Swing at everything" philosophy. I don't know if that's Ozzie's philosophy (he did that as a hitter, for sure) or how much help we're getting from Greg Walker. But some getting on base and getting around the bases helps.
On edit, it really blows to see Anderson get a key hit, only for Alomar to snuff out his 5th rally in two games (or so it seems)...he's horrible.

A. Cavatica
08-22-2006, 08:31 PM
(crickets chirping)

I think Ozzie's been in as much of a slump as the rest of the team. If the players play well, the team wins; if they don't, they lose; and Ozzie hasn't seemed to be able to affect that one bit.

Sorry, just my opinion.

SpartanSoxFan
08-22-2006, 08:46 PM
Referring to Jay Marriotti as A British colloquialism for a cigarette...