PDA

View Full Version : Another good Bob Ryan article summarizing Red Sox season

caulfield12
08-22-2006, 09:34 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/08/22/warning_these_truths_may_hurt/

fquaye149
08-22-2006, 12:13 PM
you really hate the Red Sox, don't you caulfield?

Baby Fisk
08-22-2006, 12:19 PM
Wow, it's like the author has been waiting two years to write this and it's all coming out now. Reminiscent of the Red Sox hating columns of yore.

ewokpelts
08-22-2006, 12:28 PM
you really hate the Red Sox, don't you caulfield?he's red flubsessed

hawkjt
08-22-2006, 02:09 PM
I just wish we had a columnist of Ryans skill in this town.

He can be critical without getting personal,mean-spirited and spiteful like someone at the Suntimes we know.

He presents a balanced viewpoint spreading the blame to the right places and yet acknowledging that the yankees are playing great ball and have the best team money can buy.

I also like his perspective on the rage that emits from fans that feel entitled to playoff games ect. these days.

I hope the sox fans recognize the syndrome and do not go nuts if this team does not make it this year. When the red sox won it all, it was supposed to be the greatest moment ever for those fans but it has resulted in fans being angrier now a couple years removed from this ultimate moment. They used to be disapointed but down deep they felt they did not belong at the top, now, they think they belong on top every year.

The white sox fans are a different breed. Down deep all those years we were pissed that we had not won it all because we were always close.

Just hope that sox fans can be rational if we miss out this year.

stacksedwards
08-22-2006, 02:15 PM
Sports writers are a joke. 90% of these guys never played the games they are writing about and if they did their careers were over by little league.

buehrle4cy05
08-22-2006, 02:20 PM
Bob Ryan gets it. I really liked this line:

The truth is that in this perverted sports climate, the other team is never just allowed to be better, even for a day, let alone a series or a season. No, no. Blame must be affixed. Heads must be severed.

1951Campbell
08-22-2006, 02:49 PM
Bob Ryan gets it. I really liked this line:

Bob Ryan doesn't get it. When he's not saying that someone needs to smack Jason Kidd's wife, he's still a member of the Boston sports media, which means he's written plenty of columns that led to the sports environment he supposedly deplores. I don't remember him being such a Zen-like advocate of perspective in sports when I used to read his Globe column--methinks the lady doth protest too much.

fquaye149
08-22-2006, 02:50 PM
Sports writers are a joke. 90% of these guys never played the games they are writing about and if they did their careers were over by little league.

I really doubt that.

I would guess at least 9 out of 10 baseball writers played AT LEAST babe ruth baseball.

Do you have to be a major leaguer to have insightful comments on major league baseball? Most people, including myself, don't think so.

In fact, I think most of the dumbasses in the media are former jocks (Joe Morgan, Rick Sutcliffe, Ryne Sandberg, Tim McCarver, hell...even Tony Gwynn)

Baby Fisk
08-22-2006, 02:54 PM
In fact, I think most of the dumbasses in the media are former jocks (Joe Morgan, Rick Sutcliffe, Ryne Sandberg, Tim McCarver, hell...even Tony Gwynn)
You forgot Jeff Brantley.

http://video.download.com/i/dl/vdl/media/image/22/20/2022_106x80.jpg
"There's no doubt the Red Sox will win the wild card!"

fquaye149
08-22-2006, 02:55 PM
You forgot Jeff Brantley.

http://video.download.com/i/dl/vdl/media/image/22/20/2022_106x80.jpg
"There's no doubt the Red Sox will win the wild card!"

Eep! Rob Dibble too! And Krukkers!

I try to block bbtn from my consciousness.

Thanks for nothing, Baby Fisk:angry::angry::angry:

areilly
08-22-2006, 03:06 PM

I'm willing to bet at least 90% of us never played much past Little League either, and yet here we are alternately praising and crucifying the entire MLB on a whim as if it were nothing.

Sports writers at least found a way to get paid doing it.

So who's the real joke? :D:

SoxFanPrope
08-22-2006, 03:13 PM
I'm willing to bet at least 90% of us never played much past Little League either, and yet here we are alternately praising and crucifying the entire MLB on a whim as if it were nothing.

Sports writers at least found a way to get paid doing it.

So who's the real joke? :D:
Gospel, well done. :thumbsup:

There is always at least one of these posts when it comes to sports writers/sports radio personalities. You can criticize their thoughts, writing, assertions, but don't criticize them for not playing professionally. A select few get to play professional sports, but those select few are not the only ones who get to think about them.

Fenway
08-22-2006, 03:21 PM
He hit a nerve here

Once upon a time, losing brought a brief period of sorrow. Now it brings rage. The rest of the season, I fear, will not be much fun.
The truth is we need to sit down and figure out what sports are all about. We've lost our way.

I have NEVER heard WEEI as radioactive as it is today and it all being directed at Theo and Lucchino. They been down at Gillette Stadium all day and can't get a single Patriots call.

1951Campbell
08-22-2006, 03:24 PM
I have NEVER heard WEEI as radioactive as it is today...

That's scary.

buehrle4cy05
08-22-2006, 03:27 PM
Bob Ryan doesn't get it. When he's not saying that someone needs to smack Jason Kidd's wife, he's still a member of the Boston sports media, which means he's written plenty of columns that led to the sports environment he supposedly deplores. I don't remember him being such a Zen-like advocate of perspective in sports when I used to read his Globe column--methinks the lady doth protest too much.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that whole Kidd thing. Let me just take that comment back...:redface:

1951Campbell
08-22-2006, 03:33 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about that whole Kidd thing. Let me just take that comment back...:redface:

Heh, funny thing about "let me take that comment back": Bob Lobel gave Ryan a chance to take it back, and Ryan basically wouldn't!

Fenway
08-22-2006, 03:36 PM
Heh, funny thing about "let me take that comment back": Bob Lobel gave Ryan a chance to take it back, and Ryan basically wouldn't!

Ryan had a few pops that night before the show :gulp:

he been a good boy since

southside rocks
08-22-2006, 03:38 PM

Joe Morgan should be counted twice in that list. I'm just saying.

fquaye149
08-22-2006, 03:46 PM
Joe Morgan should be counted twice in that list. I'm just saying.

on account of his intangibles?