PDA

View Full Version : Sox No Longer Control Destiny in AL Central

BRDSR
08-21-2006, 09:43 PM
For the first time in over a year and a half, the White Sox could win out and are not mathematically guaranteed the division win.

Of course, in all practicality, this means very little, especially if the Sox take the next three against the Tigers. But it is kind of disheartening to think that the Sox no longer are in control.

Chicken Dinner
08-21-2006, 09:46 PM
For the first time in over a year and a half, the White Sox could win out and are not mathematically guaranteed the division win.

Of course, in all practicality, this means very little, especially if the Sox take the next three against the Tigers. But it is kind of disheartening to think that the Sox no longer are in control.

Your right.....

SoxFan78
08-21-2006, 09:52 PM

This is exactly what I like to see after a Sox loss!

BanditJimmy
08-21-2006, 09:54 PM
:threadsucks

QCIASOXFAN
08-21-2006, 09:54 PM
This is exactly what I like to see after a Sox loss!

:thud:

NDSox12
08-21-2006, 09:57 PM

Not true... The Sox are 6 1/2 back but only 6 back in the loss column. If they win all remaining games, including the six vs. the Tigers and the Tigers don't lose to anyone else, the season would end in a tie. Playoff game, Sox still control their own destiny.

I can't believe I bothered replying in this thread, but thought I would get the facts out there.

itsnotrequired
08-22-2006, 08:38 AM
Not true... The Sox are 6 1/2 back but only 6 back in the loss column. If they win all remaining games, including the six vs. the Tigers and the Tigers don't lose to anyone else, the season would end in a tie. Playoff game, Sox still control their own destiny.

I can't believe I bothered replying in this thread, but thought I would get the facts out there.

This is correct. Looking at the pure numbers, then the original statement is true but when you account for the games against Detroit, the Sox are still mathematically in it. Minnesota, on the other hand, could win every remaining game and still not clinch the division even though they have one more game than the Sox and are only a half game back.

In the big scheme of things, these numbers don't mean much as it is very unlikely any team is going to win out the rest of the season. A 38-0 run? Please...

KMKsuburbannoise
08-22-2006, 08:47 AM
way to look on the bright side

cbotnyse
08-22-2006, 08:58 AM
Hey Chips, get in here and post that "not very good thread" tag! This thread desperately wants it.

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-22-2006, 09:02 AM
Your right.....

His right? :redneck

batmanZoSo
08-22-2006, 09:23 AM
In the big scheme of things, these numbers don't mean much as it is very unlikely any team is going to win out the rest of the season. A 38-0 run? Please...

Exactly.

:threadsucks:

DumpJerry
08-22-2006, 09:53 AM
Homefish, you do realize you risk a lifetime ban for registering under a different name...........

kevingrt
08-22-2006, 10:30 AM
All I know is it's going to be an interesting rest of the year and probably a difficult one to watch especially if we continue playing poor baseball. This whole thing about having no fundamentals really sucks.

Deuce
08-22-2006, 10:35 AM

I can't believe I bothered replying in this thread, but thought I would get the facts out there.I was thinking the same thing. Checked it up on RIOT (http://riot.ieor.berkeley.edu/~baseball/american_league.html) and we are, in fact, still in charge of our own destiny.

Jjav829
08-22-2006, 10:39 AM
I was thinking the same thing. Checked it up on RIOT (http://riot.ieor.berkeley.edu/%7Ebaseball/american_league.html) and we are, in fact, still in charge of our own destiny.

Well it's great to know that if we go 38-0 from here on out we win the division. :?:

Who cares, really? We haven't controlled our own destiny for most of the year.

Iwritecode
08-22-2006, 10:43 AM
A 38-0 run? Please...

Didn't Cleveland have one of those last year in August/September? It sure felt like it...

Deuce
08-22-2006, 11:25 AM
Well it's great to know that if we go 38-0 from here on out we win the division. :?:Never said it was great or otherwise. Personally, I take Farmio's advice to heart: you don't have to win them all, you just have to win enough.

itsnotrequired
08-22-2006, 11:27 AM
Didn't Cleveland have one of those last year in August/September? It sure felt like it...

Nah, that was only 37-0.

:redneck

Amazingly, Detroit could lose the rest of their games this season and are still mathematically able to go to the post season.

BRDSR
08-22-2006, 04:45 PM
Homefish, you do realize you risk a lifetime ban for registering under a different name...........

These are the kind of posts that make people want to leave WSI.

alohafri
08-22-2006, 09:18 PM
To win the division, hell, to win the wild card, here is what has to happen.

1. The pitching needs to find itself. Jon Garland can't do it all.
2. Paul and Thome need to start getting extra base hits. Does anyone know when the last time that happened?
3. The defense needs to improve. Iguchi is a shell of himself from last year. Uribe is playing like he is auditioning for some highlight reels...and rather poorly at that (and tuck your damn pocket in!).
4. Podsednik needs to either find his legs or needs to sit. Is he afraid of running or is he hurt?

If we don't start clicking on all cylinders, I fear that this season is over. The Tigers refuse to go on an extended losing streak while we win games (the sweep last week not withstanding) and the Twins are winning with smoke and mirrors despite all of their outfielders being hurt, minor league pitchers, Ratke pitching with a torn rotator cuff, and Santana.

itsnotrequired
08-23-2006, 09:32 AM
For what its worth, today marks the actual first day that the Sox could win out the rest of the season and still not clinch the division. A pointless stat but a true statement nonetheless.

Detroit could now lose all the rest of its games and still have a shot at clinching the division.

Shift
08-23-2006, 09:36 AM
They have a pretty good shot of winning the next two.

itsnotrequired
08-25-2006, 09:10 AM
With last night's loss, the Royals are now officially eliminated from winning the AL Central crown.

And here I thought they were getting ready to make thier run...:tongue:

Oblong
08-25-2006, 09:13 AM
That should help the teams playing the Royals because now KC can rest their regulars.

Baby Fisk
08-25-2006, 09:58 AM
With last night's loss, the Royals are now officially eliminated from winning the AL Central crown.

And here I thought they were getting ready to make thier run...:tongue:
I read somewhere that Doug Mientkiewicz's hat is scheduled for season-ending surgery. So it's all falling apart for the Royals at once.