Jose has been roughed up his last 2 starts. Not good

Although the offense did nothing to help. Looks like Dye is PTC

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-21-2006, 08:36 PM
Damn it

kittle42
Well, that completely blew.

This team has made me turn off more games in anger in the last two months than I have in the last 3 or 4 seasons combined.

buehrle4cy05
The last time we were in Detroit, the series opened like this. I hope we can reverse it the way the Tigers did and take the next 3, thus making the series a success.

paciorek1983
Well, at least Detroit lost.:redneck

Jjav829
08-21-2006, 08:37 PM
Ugh. Not a good way to start the series. Let's hope the good Mark Buehrle shows up tomorrow.

southsideirish71
Well its nice to see the pull and lift offense is in full effect. And now our ace is pitching like 2004 Contreras.

When is this good play going to start, we are almost into September.

buehrle4cy05
On the bright side, I did knock down the sunsphere.

That game had me pretty pissed, but there's still 3 more to go in the series.

Chips
08-21-2006, 08:38 PM
I'm glad I wasn't able to watch that.

NDSox12
08-21-2006, 08:38 PM
The last time we were in Detroit, the series opened like this. I hope we can reverse it the way the Tigers did and take the next 3, thus making the series a success.

Good point. I'm actually feeling decent about the game tomorrow. We're due to knock The Gambler around one of these times.

Green
08-21-2006, 08:39 PM
:mad:

JorgeFabregas
I'm going to petition the commissioner for the result of today's game to be changed because of Todd Jones' tacky grey camo.

DachnoPiitu
It's going to be a long offseason... unless of course the SOX start beating the Tigers and Twins.

ASK: http://www.indra.com/8ball/front.html

SABRSox
08-21-2006, 08:40 PM
I'm going to petition the commissioner for the result of today's game to be changed because of Todd Jones' tacky grey camo.

I get the feeling he goes hunting with Ted Nugent.

SoxSpeed22
08-21-2006, 08:40 PM

lakeviewsoxfan
08-21-2006, 08:41 PM
Good point. I'm actually feeling decent about the game tomorrow. We're due to knock The Gambler around one of these times.

Just like we were due to knock Santana around. Face it a lefty with a changeup and that dosent throw over 85, they are pull pull pull hopefully they can make the proper adjustments like the Tigers made against JC tonight if not it could be another long night.

NDSox12
It's going to be a long offseason... unless of course the SOX start beating the Tigers and Twins.

Will the White Sox beat the Tigers tomorrow?

RESPONSE:
YES DEFINITELY

paciorek1983
Well its nice to see the pull and lift offense is in full effect.

Yeah! Isn't it great?! I love Dunder Rules baseball.

gbergman

I asked if the whitesox would win the next 3 and it said it is certain so if its wrong there will be hell to pay.

DannyCaterFan
The Sox just are not playing well! Since the July 1st game against the Cubs when AJ went deep at Wrigley for an 8-6 win, the Sox are only 20-24. That is simply not going to get it done. I believe the Tiger's magic number is 31. Time is running out. And at playing like we are, even the wikd card is in doubt unless these guys wake up.

Chicken Dinner
08-21-2006, 08:42 PM
11 runs in 4 games.....where did the offense go?

NDSox12
08-21-2006, 08:43 PM
Just like we were due to knock Santana around. Face it a lefty with a changeup and that dosent throw over 85, they are pull pull pull hopefully they can make the proper adjustments like the Tigers made against JC tonight if not it could be another long night.

I understand your point, but Kenny Rogers is no Santana. He's been terrible the last month, except for his starts against the Sox. I agree, adjustments need to be made.

JB98
08-21-2006, 08:43 PM
Thank goodness that steaming pile of crap is over with. Terrible, terrible game. No positives. We couldn't have done worse if we had gone out and shot ourselves.

eurotrash35
08-21-2006, 08:44 PM
another horse**** performance. I gave up after the 6th. jose didn't have it tonight and the offense was pathetic yet again save for the team MVP.

anybody else thinking it's time to ditch the grinder ball campaign? it's become a joke.

paciorek1983
08-21-2006, 08:45 PM
11 runs in 4 games.....where did the offense go?

It went with their brains, which is somewhere up their behinds.:angry:

I am sick and tired of this home run or nothing offense. It's just like 2004. They don't have a good approach at the plate. They're not going to win with this mentaility unfortunately. I hate to say it. But this team is boring again.

roadrunner
08-21-2006, 08:46 PM
what's the deal with mackowiak not even to making a throw to third when pudge tagged from second right before inge's double play?

between him and Pods we've got a couple of serious wuss arms out there

SoxFan78
08-21-2006, 08:46 PM
The Pitching Sucked
The Offense Sucked
This whole game sucked.

I would not be as mad as I am right now if I knew the Sox weren't very good. BUT THEY ARE!! If everything clicks they are by far and away the best team in the Majors.

But either their hitting sucks, their pitching sucks, their defense sucks or a combination of the two or three.

This is one of the most frustrated I have been after a game. Once again, when the Sox score, the next half inning our pitcher lets the other team back into the game, killing what ever momentum the sox had.

If the Sox can't get up to play the Tigers, then they don't deserve to go to the playoffs. And they weren't up for the game today.

Im not sure how many times they need to get their asses kicked before they realize they are in a playoff race, but they are running out of time. And only putting up one run against the first place team in your division isn't gonna get the ****ing job done!

paciorek1983
08-21-2006, 08:47 PM
another horse**** performance. I gave up after the 6th. jose didn't have it tonight and the offense was pathetic yet again save for the team MVP.

anybody else thinking it's time to ditch the grinder ball campaign? it's become a joke.

Yep, The Grinder Rules are out the window. It's now...The Dunder Rules.

chisoxfanatic

I asked "Will the Sox win the division?" and it replied "Without a doubt!"

I turned that game off during the sixth inning. This team doesn't look like it wants to be in the playoffs.

Ughhh! This series has suddenly become not so appealing.

0o0o0
Way to show up for a huge game, fellas. :rolleyes:

I've got nothing good to say, so I'm done here.

lakeviewsoxfan
I understand your point, but Kenny Rogers is no Santana. He's been terrible the last month, except for his starts against the Sox. I agree, adjustments need to be made.

I agree Santana is the best pitcher of this generation of ballplayers, but Rogers knows how to pitch to our hitters, yes it would be great to finally hit him around but he gives us fits. I for one think Pods needs to rest for at least 3-4 games, I believe he is now hitting under .260 and his time in MLB is nearing an end. Hopefully the top of our order can srting together a decent start to the game. Thank god for xanax this team is really really frustrating to watch.

Sox-o-matic
08-21-2006, 08:48 PM
The Sox just are not playing well! Since the July 1st game against the Cubs when AJ went deep at Wrigley for an 8-6 win, the Sox are only 20-24. That is simply not going to get it done. I believe the Tiger's magic number is 31. Time is running out. And at playing like we are, even the wikd card is in doubt unless these guys wake up.

Boston and Detroit have both been playing terrible baseball lately and the Sox haven't been able to capitalize. The offense looks like it is pressing and the pitching staff has just plain sucked. There's no other way to put it.

thomas35forever
08-21-2006, 08:49 PM
I have nothing to say about tonight's game. Tonight wasn't meant for a White Sox winner.

zmz723
08-21-2006, 08:50 PM
jose was our last starter with an era under 4.

not after tonite. I miss lasts years staff

BanditJimmy
08-21-2006, 08:51 PM
Pitching, Pitching, Pitching.

1 1/2 week ago we looked like world beaters because of our pitching. Look how we look now.

eurotrash35
08-21-2006, 08:52 PM
gotta say that tonight the tigers looked like we did last year the way they were forcing the issue on the basepaths and coming up with some timely base hits and jacks. they put on a clinic tonight. hopefully we were paying attention. if not the guys can get together in october and watch them in the playoffs.

eurotrash35
08-21-2006, 08:54 PM
Pitching, Pitching, Pitching.

1 1/2 week ago we looked like world beaters because of our pitching. Look how we look now.

well 1 run isn't going to get much done either.

paciorek1983
You know, for as big of a Sox fan as I have been(30 Years), I have not really been that excited about this season after about the first couple months. I've lost alot of interest. this team hasn't been consistent, and the baseball hasn't been that exciting since the middle of June.

I care, but I almost don't anymore. I don't know what's going on with me.:whiner:

sox1970
I hope this loss finally sets some of you wide-eyed dreamers straight. The wildcard is the goal. There are 38 games left. The Sox are tied with the Twins in the loss column. Johan Santana will get 8 more starts and the Twins will probably win 7 of them. The Sox need someone to match that, and I'm afraid it's going to have to be Jon Garland. We need the rest of the staff to somehow exceed mediocrity and outpitch the Twins staff. I usually don't root for anyone to be injured, but I'd like to see Liriano take the next 5 months off and get that arm strong for 2007.

Dan Mega
08-21-2006, 08:57 PM
Gaaaaah. Get em tomorrow!

JB98
08-21-2006, 08:58 PM
what's the deal with mackowiak not even to making a throw to third when pudge tagged from second right before inge's double play?

between him and Pods we've got a couple of serious wuss arms out there

Mack was very smart not to throw to third. Get the ball back into second and keep the DP in order. Ozuna and Anderson both made foolish throws to third during Sunday's game.

BanditJimmy
08-21-2006, 08:59 PM
I am shocked at how bad this pitching staff has been.

With the exception of Garland from the end of May forward, pick you poison with the other 4 starters. They have all been average.

Honeslty, has Contreras been any better than Vazquez or Garcia since coming back from the DL?

eurotrash35
08-21-2006, 09:00 PM
You know, for as big of a Sox fan as I have been(30 Years), I have not really been that excited about this season after about the first couple months. I've lost alot of interest. this team hasn't been consistent, and the baseball hasn't been that exciting since the middle of June.

I care, but I almost don't anymore. I don't know what's going on with me.:whiner:

yeah, I'm looking forward to football. I'm sick of crap pitching, solo HRs, the lineup jumble game, bad attitudes, turning the bat over, the list goes on.

lakeviewsoxfan
08-21-2006, 09:01 PM
I am shocked at how bad this pitching staff has been.

With the exception of Garland from the end of May forward, pick you poison with the other 4 starters. They have all been average.

Honeslty, has Contreras been any better than Vazquez or Garcia since coming back from the DL?

Yes. Against Detroit on 8/11. But besides that not really.

NoShoesJoe
08-21-2006, 09:01 PM
My pessimism is starting to overshadow my optimism. This game sucked badly. Simple things, like, CS...when was the last time AJ or Sandy (or Widger) throw someone out? I know it has much to do with our pitcher's delivery, but c'mon! We put more of their runners (not just the Tigers) in scoring position than we do our own! PK has to get with it. This is the third time this season he's slumping. Crede showed some signs of improvement, and at least AJ got a little hit too. Pitching flat out sucks, except for Garland. By the time we get to the bullpen it's too late.

JB98
08-21-2006, 09:03 PM
My pessimism is starting to overshadow my optimism. This game sucked badly. Simple things, like, CS...when was the last time AJ or Sandy (or Widger) throw someone out? I know it has much to do with our pitcher's delivery, but c'mon! We put more of their runners (not just the Tigers) in scoring position than we do our own! PK has to get with it. This is the third time this season he's slumping. Crede showed some signs of improvement, and at least AJ got a little hit too. Pitching flat out sucks, except for Garland. By the time we get to the bullpen it's too late.

Alomar threw out somebody at third (Reggie Sanders, I think) in the final game with Kansas City.

eurotrash35
08-21-2006, 09:05 PM

things looked a million times worse last year when we were in freefall mode though. I keep waiting and waiting for the huge run we all thought was coming but we're running out of time. I'm not giving up yet, things can still click into place.

BanditJimmy
08-21-2006, 09:05 PM
Yes. Against Detroit on 8/11. But besides that not really.

One could argue Javy out pitched him with that Toronto start at Skydome.

BanditJimmy
08-21-2006, 09:09 PM
things looked a million times worse last year when we were in freefall mode though. I keep waiting and waiting for the huge run we all thought was coming but we're running out of time. I'm not giving up yet, things can still click into place.

I'll take take the lead we had last year for the DIVISION during our free fall over this crap here, 6 games behind Detroit and tied with the Twins in loss column.

We have been saying all year, "Detroit has to hit the wall." They finaly did the last 2 weeks and we only closed the gap to 6 games.

JB98
08-21-2006, 09:09 PM

I don't think we're going to get a huge run because we have a couple guys in our starting rotation who are black holes. I'm just hoping we can find a way to win enough to get in the postseason, where you only need three starting pitchers. Even then, Buerhle and Contreras have got to right the ship and start helping Garland out.

JB98
08-21-2006, 09:10 PM

What else has Javy done in the last three months? He sucks.

lakeviewsoxfan
08-21-2006, 09:11 PM

Yes and you can say all of our pitchers have looked good at some time during this season. The point is the only consistent pitchers we have had this year have been Jon Garland, Thornton and Jenks.

slobes
Ugly, every way you look at it.

We better come out fightin tomorrow.

BanditJimmy
What else has Javy done in the last three months? He sucks.

Contreras has not been Johan out there either. So what's the point?

NoShoesJoe
08-21-2006, 09:12 PM
Not only did the Liger steal our treasure tonight, they put a broadside into the Palehose Six.

DickAllen72
08-21-2006, 09:14 PM
Mack was very smart not to throw to third. Get the ball back into second and keep the DP in order. Ozuna and Anderson both made foolish throws to third during Sunday's game.

Agreed.

Anyway, the worst thing about tonight's loss is I have to put up with all the jerks at work tomorrow. :angry:

eurotrash35
08-21-2006, 09:14 PM
I don't think we're going to get a huge run because we have a couple guys in our starting rotation who are black holes. I'm just hoping we can find a way to win enough to get in the postseason, where you only need three starting pitchers. Even then, Buerhle and Contreras have got to right the ship and start helping Garland out.

vazquez is garbage but everybody else on the staff definitely has the chance the put it all together at the same time.

BanditJimmy
08-21-2006, 09:15 PM
Yes and you can say all of our pitchers have looked good at some time during this season. The point is the only consistent pitchers we have had this year have been Jon Garland, Thornton and Jenks.

It was guaranteed that some guys would have a drop off from last season. I never thought that 90% of the entire staff would be having a down year this year.

Dan Mega
08-21-2006, 09:17 PM
yeah, I'm looking forward to football. I'm sick of crap pitching, solo HRs, the lineup jumble game, bad attitudes, turning the bat over, the list goes on.

The only bad attitudes I see are Freddy Garcia and many posters here after a loss.

JB98
vazquez is garbage but everybody else on the staff definitely has the chance the put it all together at the same time.

I've lost confidence in Garcia. He has a much better career record than Vazquez, so I suppose there is some hope with him. I just haven't been happy with his attitude or his pitching in recent weeks. Buerhle and Contreras have to right the ship. Our season depends on it.

Grzegorz
Simple things, like, CS...when was the last time AJ or Sandy (or Widger) throw someone out?

Inge stole that base on Contreras plain and simple. Mack also made the correct throw; one must keep the DP in order.

Go get them tomorrow...

And so goes the roller coaster ride that is the 2006 White Sox.

BanditJimmy
08-21-2006, 09:19 PM
One thing that is cool to see is that Ozzie and Kenny show no signs of panic, as they didn't show any last season during the free fall. Maybe they see something in this team which will eventually click by the end of September and thru October.

Wishful thinking I guess.

BanditJimmy
08-21-2006, 09:22 PM
I've lost confidence in Garcia. He has a much better career record than Vazquez, so I suppose there is some hope with him. I just haven't been happy with his attitude or his pitching in recent weeks. Buerhle and Contreras have to right the ship. Our season depends on it.

Agree 100%. It will be up to Buehrle Contreras and Garland to carry this team the rest of the way.

Honestly, right now I have no confidence in any of them and perhaps a tiny bit with Garland.

How much do you want to bet that if this team gets into the play-offs, Ozzie will push Garland to the #4 in favor of his boy Garcia?

Grzegorz
08-21-2006, 09:23 PM
One thing that is cool to see is that Ozzie and Kenny show no signs of panic, as they didn't show any last season during the free fall. Maybe they see something in this team which will eventually click by the end of September and thru October.

Wishful thinking I guess.

Yeah, maybe they aren't panicking but I am not sure if there are any cards left to play this year; what you see is what you get.

The only click you hear might be of the fair weather fans switching off their televisions and radios.

eurotrash35
08-21-2006, 09:25 PM

yeah, he needs to shut up and pitch but I think he's got just as good of a chance as the other two to pull his head out.

SOXSINCE'70
08-21-2006, 09:28 PM
:puking: :puking:

JB98
08-21-2006, 09:32 PM
Agree 100%. It will be up to Buehrle Contreras and Garland to carry this team the rest of the way.

Honestly, right now I have no confidence in any of them and perhaps a tiny bit with Garland.

How much do you want to bet that if this team gets into the play-offs, Ozzie will push Garland to the #4 in favor of his boy Garcia?

Jon has been strong in every start but two since mid-June. Right now, Garland is our #1, and it's not even close.

NoShoesJoe
08-21-2006, 09:32 PM
Did anyone see the results of the comcastsportsnet.com poll after the game this evening? Wow, shocking in fact.

Link (http://chicago.comcastsportsnet.com/team-whitesox.asp)

How confident are you that the Sox will return to the postseason?

50% Won't make playoffs
18.8% Cautiously optimistic
17.2% Have my doubts
14.1% Very confident

Although I suppose these numbers are skewed when they lose. For the record, I voted "Cautiously Optimistic"

JB98
08-21-2006, 09:36 PM
Did anyone see the results of the comcastsportsnet.com poll after the game this evening? Wow, shocking in fact.

Link (http://chicago.comcastsportsnet.com/team-whitesox.asp)

How confident are you that the Sox will return to the postseason?

50% Won't make playoffs
18.8% Cautiously optimistic
17.2% Have my doubts
14.1% Very confident

Although I suppose these numbers are skewed when they lose. For the record, I voted "Cautiously Optimistic"

Me too.

digdagdug23
08-21-2006, 09:39 PM
Thank goodness that steaming pile of crap is over with. Terrible, terrible game. No positives. We couldn't have done worse if we had gone out and shot ourselves.

The way they looked tonight, they would have tried to pull the bullet and hit the hip instead of the temple.

Notice the LACK of teal.

CaptainBallz
08-21-2006, 09:49 PM
This game wasn't even worth the bandwidth the overused chunks tag would take up.

Where to start? We'll start at horrible and end with me pleading for sanity.

Then I walk in the door to see Rowand go down hard in the Phillies game.

O, the horror. I think I'll write metal lyrics tonight. Something about vomit....

:puking:

hi im skot
08-21-2006, 10:02 PM
Yikes.

Lip Man 1
08-21-2006, 10:07 PM
Was it only one week ago the Sox had won five in a row, had ripped apart the Triple A Royals and seemingly FINALLY had put their inconsistent performances behind them?

Sigh...Guess not...

But hey if the season ended today they'd be in the post season right?

:rolleyes:

Go get em tomorrow. I mean what else can they do?

Lip

greygoose
08-21-2006, 10:12 PM
I'm glad I listened to you guys from a month ago and waited for Coop to work his magic.

hi im skot
08-21-2006, 10:16 PM
I'm glad I listened to you guys from a month ago and waited for Coop to work his magic.

This is all Coop's fault.

greygoose
08-21-2006, 10:18 PM
This is all Coop's fault.

I'll bet that he'll be super defensive and out of touch with reality on the radio tomorrow morning.

hi im skot
08-21-2006, 10:19 PM
He'll probably be as pissed and frustrated as we are.

samram
08-21-2006, 10:34 PM

Really, there's four giant question marks. The two keys are Buehrle and Contreras- if they come around, the Sox can get on a good run. Otherwise, we'll be lucky to get the wildcard.

Anyway, either win the next three or forget about the division.

samram
08-21-2006, 10:36 PM
Was it only one week ago the Sox had won five in a row, had ripped apart the Triple A Royals and seemingly FINALLY had put their inconsistent performances behind them?

Sigh...Guess not...

But hey if the season ended today they'd be in the post season right?

Go get em tomorrow. I mean what else can they do?

Lip

That Royals series really seemed to take a lot of steam out of the club. They haven't hit worth a **** since the first game of that series- I think they let their guard down and now they can't get it going again.

Lip Man 1
08-21-2006, 10:43 PM
Sam:

Looking it up you may have a point. 22 runs in their last seven games, 2-5 record. That won't get it done either. And it's not like they faced 'aces' every time...unless you consider 'Boof' and the Royals goofs as 'aces'.

Just another part of 'the schizoid Sox'

If in fact they let their guard down then it's Ozzie's job to correct things...so far he hasn't. Just another post game press conference with 'we didn't play well,' 'we didn't pitch well...'

Like I said I expect that from Manager Gandhi and the idiot Terry Bevington. I expect results (and screaming clubhouse fits) from Ozzie.

Lip

JB98
08-21-2006, 10:44 PM
Really, there's four giant question marks. The two keys are Buehrle and Contreras- if they come around, the Sox can get on a good run. Otherwise, we'll be lucky to get the wildcard.

I just divide the four question marks into two categories. Two that I think might recover and two that are a lost cause. Mark and Jose are in the former category, Freddy and Javy in the latter.

CaptainBallz
08-21-2006, 10:45 PM

I still don't understand the fatalism of comments like these. The Sox not too long ago ticked 4.5 games off Detroits lead in ONE WEEK. There's still numerous possibilities and variables that have to be taken into account before completely writing this team off with a month and some days to play still. A split w/ Detroit, while lame, doesn't put the Sox out of reach. Either they'll realize how truly close this race is and step up to the challenge or they'll go down in the books as the team that could've, but decided to take a dump instead. Nothing yet has shown me that the Evil Sox are the one's that will triumph.

samram
08-21-2006, 10:51 PM
I still don't understand the fatalism of comments like these. The Sox not too long ago ticked 4.5 games off Detroits lead in ONE WEEK. There's still numerous possibilities and variables that have to be taken into account before completely writing this team off with a month and some days to play still. A split w/ Detroit, while lame, doesn't put the Sox out of reach. Either they'll realize how truly close this race is and step up to the challenge or they'll go down in the books as the team that could've, but decided to take a dump instead. Nothing yet has shown me that the Evil Sox are the one's that will triumph.

What makes you think that a team is going to suddenly change its stripes 125 games into the season? The starting pitching has been and most likely will continue to be too inconsistent to run off a 15-1 stretch, which is the type of thing that will be needed to make up 5.5 games (assuming a split) with 35 games left.

samram
08-21-2006, 10:51 PM
I just divide the four question marks into two categories. Two that I think might recover and two that are a lost cause. Mark and Jose are in the former category, Freddy and Javy in the latter.

Ok, I can buy that. The two in the former have to be good though.

JB98
08-21-2006, 10:59 PM
What makes you think that a team is going to suddenly change its stripes 125 games into the season? The starting pitching has been and most likely will continue to be too inconsistent to run off a 15-1 stretch, which is the type of thing that will be needed to make up 5.5 games (assuming a split) with 35 games left.

I agree. It is possible to make up 5.5 with 35 games left, but you can't do it by just slugging the ball. You need consistency from the starting pitching, and we haven't gotten that all year.

Honestly, this reminds me a little bit of the 2004 Cubs. All summer, people said, "Just wait until this team gets hot." They waited all season, and it never happened. After 123 games, what you see is probably what you get.

sox1970
08-21-2006, 11:13 PM
I agree. It is possible to make up 5.5 with 35 games left, but you can't do it by just slugging the ball. You need consistency from the starting pitching, and we haven't gotten that all year.

Actually, to say the Sox haven't got good starting pitching all year isn't true. They had 32 quality starts in the first 50 games. Garland barely contributed to that. If the other four would have kept up what they did, and Garland joined the crowd (which he has), the Sox would probably be leading the division now.

It comes down to quality starts. Over the last 28 games, when the Sox get a quality start, they are 13-0. When they do not get a quality start they are 2-13.

For the season, when the Sox get a quality start, they are 55-8. When they don't, they are 18-43. So stop blaming Ozzie, Brian Anderson, Mackowiak, and Pods. It comes down to quality starting pitching. When they get it, they win.

JB98
08-21-2006, 11:15 PM
Actually, to say the Sox haven't got good starting pitching all year isn't true. They had 32 quality starts in the first 50 games. Garland barely contributed to that. If they other four would have kept up what they did, and Garland joined the crowd (which he has), the Sox would probably be leading the division now.

It comes down to quality starts. Over the last 28 games, when the Sox get a quality start, they are 13-0. When they do not get a quality start they are 2-13.

For the season, when the Sox get a quality start, they are 55-8. When they don't, they are 18-43. So stop blaming Ozzie, Brian Anderson, Mackowiak, and Pods. It comes down to quality starting pitching. When they get it, they win.

I didn't say we haven't gotten good starting pitching all year. I said we haven't gotten consistent starting pitching all year, and we haven't.

What has happened consistently, unfortunately, is me blaming our starting pitchers for our woes. BA, Macko, and Pods are not the problem, I agree.

CaptainBallz
08-21-2006, 11:15 PM

I don't see any monster stretches coming from this team any time soon, either. But, something that hasn't been a season long anomaly and is, for the most part, the most frustrating aspect of the Evil Sox is the ridiculous tendency of the hitters to go into long-ball or nothing mode or to just give up on clutch hitting altogether. In the first half of the season, the Sox stayed in it and won games in spite of their often crappy pitching (starters and bullpen). That is something that I can see turn around, and indeed we have seen it turn and turn back again in the last couple weeks.

Yeah, at this point in the season we know the pitching staff is a heap of frail minded inconsistency. I don't expect that to change. I do expect it to be less painful with Vasquez coming out of the pen in the playoffs.

Even with a split, or god forbid worse, I still for now hold onto the belief that the hitting can return and make the most out of these inconsistent starts.

BadBobbyJenks
08-21-2006, 11:18 PM
I'm glad I wasn't able to watch that.

I am also glad i was unable to watch...Pissed this morning though, thought we were taking the first one with ease. I wish I had something positive to say but I dont

0o0o0
08-21-2006, 11:36 PM
I'll bet that he'll be super defensive and out of touch with reality on the radio tomorrow morning.

Yeah. He's hard to listen to.

0o0o0
08-21-2006, 11:53 PM
If everything clicks they are by far and away the best team in the Majors.

And we've been saying this all year. It should not take a team this long to start "clicking." As little sense as it makes that this team is not steamrolling it's way to the postseason, it is very possible that this is who they are. An inconsistent team that always seems on the verge of breaking out, only to drop 5 of 6 and look flat as hell while doing so.

Nobody knows, so all we can do is watch. :mg:

Kub_Killer_15
08-22-2006, 12:30 AM
Were ok Im not worried at all! They have a tough strech of 24 games in 24 days so they have to be tired. Once they get a day off I think they will take off with a big winning streak. Semptember should be really interesting and I cant wait to see how it ends!

Dan H
08-22-2006, 06:36 AM
It's about to face facts: If this team gets into the playoffs, it will be just plain lucky. Look at the scores of the last four losses: 10-4, 7-3, 7-3, and 7-1. They are not even in these games. The team just looks putrid.

Only Garland looks good out there. The rest of the staff is awful, and I see little hope for this team right now. Vazquez and Garcia are practically automatic losses. Buehrle is still a big question mark and has become a six inning pitcher. Contreras has not been the same since his injury. The hitting has turned ice cold again.

We keep waiting for this team to turn it on and it doesn't happen. At this point, I don't think it's going to happen. Getting it done in the next six games will change my mind. But they are back to losing to the Twins again, and this team doesn't look like they want to defend their championship. It looks like it will be New York, Detroit, Oakland and somebody esle in the post season.

soxfanatlanta
08-22-2006, 07:32 AM
Like I said I expect that from Manager Gandhi and the idiot Terry Bevington. I expect results (and screaming clubhouse fits) from Ozzie.

How many screaming fits has Ozzie had this year? Did they work? These guys are professionals, and one should not have to yell, or pitch a fit to get them motivated. I do not think that screaming at them like a two year old is going to magically make them play better. In fact, I would say too much of that makes it worse (see Larry Bowa). They have to work it and grind a few W's.

jenn2080
08-22-2006, 07:36 AM
Were ok Im not worried at all! They have a tough strech of 24 games in 24 days so they have to be tired. Once they get a day off I think they will take off with a big winning streak. Semptember should be really interesting and I cant wait to see how it ends!

I semi agree except I feel like we said the same thing in July about August.

Law11
08-22-2006, 07:51 AM
Theres always the next day which is why this game is so great. However I mentioned to a buddy of mine about a month back that I dont think these guys will ever really hit a rythem but have to grind out 6 of 10 and hope some things fall into place. Seems to be the way it is this year.

Ive all but givin up on the Division at this point especially with Detroit playing thier last 9, 6 vs KC and 3 vs a messed up Toronto club.

We need to quit worring about Detroit and get our stuff in order for the last 30 games. It'll all shake out and I hope we're there at the end.

russ99
08-22-2006, 07:52 AM
You'd think with what was at stake, the Sox would have come out with a little more fire, and also do what made them successful vs. Verlander last time - not hitting the ball on the first pitch and waiting on the obvious changeup.

I'm also getting sick of this "the hitters aren't taking the pressue off the pitching staff by scoring" B.S. These guys are experienced pitchers, not whiny losers. Coop needs to call out some guys again.

The Sox September schedule is obscenely nasty. If the Sox don't wake up soon, like this week, they might not make the playoffs. :mad:

Baby Fisk
08-22-2006, 10:01 AM
You'd think with what was at stake, the Sox would have come out with a little more fire, and also do what made them successful vs. Verlander last time - not hitting the ball on the first pitch and waiting on the obvious changeup.

Excellent. I didn't want to read the whole bummed out thread, and this was a point I wanted to make. It seemed like the Sox were swinging at the first pitch every damn time. If Zoolander is suffering from a tired arm, you have to make him throw pitches! Work the damn count, make him throw a cookie, don't swing at the first damn pitch every time! :angry:

And sorry if it's been mentioned above, but quit trying to win the game with one swing when it is a 5-1 or 7-1 score. :angry:

I haven't screamed at the TV all that much this year. Last night, there was plenty of screaming. :angry:

itsnotrequired
08-22-2006, 10:24 AM
I haven't screamed at the TV all that much this year. Last night, there was plenty of screaming. :angry:

I don't have TV at my new place yet so no real screaming here. I did stop listening after the 5th inning though. Grr...

So how come Cotts has turned into a 2005 Marte? You know, a left handed reliever that can't get an out against left handed batters?

Lip Man 1
08-22-2006, 10:47 AM
Atlanta:

To the best of my knowledge Ozzie hasn't had ANY screaming fits against his team. At least none that were reported by the media (and if he did, they would...)

Ozzie has screamed about Mariotti, about Mark Mulder, John Henry, Dave Duncan ect but not one 'we suck' comment (unlike last September)

Now Ozzie has four times this season talked about lack of fundamentals and ordered extra bunting practice twice but to the best of my knowledge never gone off in the clubhouse at lifeless play.

After 125 games that team needs a real kick in the ass....that could do it.

Let's put it this way as others have said, unless something drastically changes what you see is what you get.

Lip

INSox56
08-22-2006, 11:02 AM
Have we had a pass through the rotation all year with all starters getting it done? All the time last year this happened, this year, I can't think of a single one. We may have won 5+ straight a few times, but were all 5+ of those good starts or us killing the ball?

And for all those Pods defenders, can you finally agree that he cannot be brought back? .206 in august. I said it in July and it's still true...he's had ONLY ONE good month, May. Other than that, it's been decline, decline, decline. Pathetic.

Flight #24
08-22-2006, 11:10 AM
Have we had a pass through the rotation all year with all starters getting it done? All the time last year this happened, this year, I can't think of a single one. We may have won 5+ straight a few times, but were all 5+ of those good starts or us killing the ball?

And for all those Pods defenders, can you finally agree that he cannot be brought back? .206 in august. I said it in July and it's still true...he's had ONLY ONE good month, May. Other than that, it's been decline, decline, decline. Pathetic.

IMO, with the apparent unhappiness with Uribe and the decline of Podsednik, I would not at all be surprised if the Sox made a play for Vizquel in the offseason. I'd imagine he could be had without sending over top prospects, and he'd provide 3 benefits to the lineup: 1) a better/more consistent leadoff hitter, 2) a more consistent defensive SS (albiet without the pure range of Uribe), and 3) opening up a spot for Fields in LF.

Of course, none of that addresses the pitching. But it would dramatically improve the offense, and provide more early leads, which I do think is a big boost to the starters.

itsnotrequired
08-22-2006, 11:10 AM

The sweep of the Royals and Twins in April come to mind. Six games in a row starting with Contreras. The Sox won 9-0, 4-1, 4-0, 7-1, 9-2 and 7-3. Garcia and Garland had shorter starts of 6.2 and 6.1 innings, respectively, but all the other starters went 7 or more.

viagracat
08-22-2006, 11:14 AM
I was in a supposed Sox bar last night on the Northwest Side watching part of the game until it got out of hand. When Detroit started piling it on, the place erupted in cheers. One guy was wearing a Detroit hat and said he was from Michigan so I gave him a pass, but the others, as far as I could tell, were just dumbass Cub fans enjoying the debacle. It soured my mood more than it already was. I'm never going to that piece of **** bar again.

When Contreras can't solve hitters all of a sudden, that's bad. Two games in a row he's gotten lit up. What the hell's going on here?

But I'll take my chances with Buehrle vs The Gambler. Go get 'em.

spiffie
08-22-2006, 11:37 AM
Atlanta:

To the best of my knowledge Ozzie hasn't had ANY screaming fits against his team. At least none that were reported by the media (and if he did, they would...)

Ozzie has screamed about Mariotti, about Mark Mulder, John Henry, Dave Duncan ect but not one 'we suck' comment (unlike last September)

Now Ozzie has four times this season talked about lack of fundamentals and ordered extra bunting practice twice but to the best of my knowledge never gone off in the clubhouse at lifeless play.

After 125 games that team needs a real kick in the ass....that could do it.

Let's put it this way as others have said, unless something drastically changes what you see is what you get.

Lip
I guess at this point I just can't imagine all the Spanglish profanity in the world making Mark Buehrle better at keeping the ball down or getting Vazquez to quit throwing his awful curveball. There's no way to really threaten anyone since these guys all know they're not going to be sent down or released or anything with the maybe very slight possibility of Neil Cotts. The time for screaming was July, when there was still the chance of trading guys away to Tampa or some other hellhole. Now, they know what they have to do. This is when he needs to get inside their heads and figure out how to change bad behaviors. How do you get Vazquez to trust his changeup? How do you get Contreras to quit playing so much with release point? This is when all the hype about Ozzie being close to the guys and knowing how to get in their brains needs to come to fruition. Last year was easy except for one month. Mostly they went out and played perfectly the entire year. Here is where Ozzie has to earn those checks, and flipping out, while it might be a positive part, can't be the main thrust of what he does these next few weeks.

spiffie
08-22-2006, 11:38 AM

But he's really really fast!

JB98
08-22-2006, 01:06 PM
I guess at this point I just can't imagine all the Spanglish profanity in the world making Mark Buehrle better at keeping the ball down or getting Vazquez to quit throwing his awful curveball. There's no way to really threaten anyone since these guys all know they're not going to be sent down or released or anything with the maybe very slight possibility of Neil Cotts. The time for screaming was July, when there was still the chance of trading guys away to Tampa or some other hellhole. Now, they know what they have to do. This is when he needs to get inside their heads and figure out how to change bad behaviors. How do you get Vazquez to trust his changeup? How do you get Contreras to quit playing so much with release point? This is when all the hype about Ozzie being close to the guys and knowing how to get in their brains needs to come to fruition. Last year was easy except for one month. Mostly they went out and played perfectly the entire year. Here is where Ozzie has to earn those checks, and flipping out, while it might be a positive part, can't be the main thrust of what he does these next few weeks.

I agree. Every time we have a bad loss, people come on here and say that Ozzie needs to go into the clubhouse and flip over a buffet table or something. People were saying that **** back in May too, and I think it's kind of silly. You can only go to the well with such a tactic so many times. Eventually, the players tune it out, and it has no effect.

These players are all experienced professionals. This is a veteran Sox team, not a team of youngsters. They shouldn't need anyone to explain to them the gravity of the situation. They should know what's at stake. If they don't, then they aren't worthy of going to the playoffs anyway. Ozzie has said it before, and it bears repeating: "****ty teams hold meetings. Good teams just go out and play."

Well, Sox, it's time to go out and play.

paciorek1983
08-22-2006, 06:51 PM
I was in a supposed Sox bar last night on the Northwest Side watching part of the game until it got out of hand. When Detroit started piling it on, the place erupted in cheers. One guy was wearing a Detroit hat and said he was from Michigan so I gave him a pass, but the others, as far as I could tell, were just dumbass Cub fans enjoying the debacle. It soured my mood more than it already was. I'm never going to that piece of **** bar again.

When Contreras can't solve hitters all of a sudden, that's bad. Two games in a row he's gotten lit up. What the hell's going on here?

But I'll take my chances with Buehrle vs The Gambler. Go get 'em.

Ther are alot of people who are from Michigan that live on the North side.:angry: