PDA

View Full Version : Brandon McCarthy

doh286
08-21-2006, 08:11 PM
After today's game I believe Brandon McCarthy should be put in the rotation. Anyone else believe Ozzie should change the rotation?
By the way why wasn't he put in yesterday's game or in today's game in the 6th inning.

monkeypants
08-21-2006, 08:15 PM
:threadsucks

chisoxfanatic
08-21-2006, 08:20 PM
Now, now, this thread doesn't suck! It's one of those things we've talked about here that Ozzie seems not to want to do, which befuddles me. I'd want him pitching every fifth start instead of Vazquez any day! Starting and being in the bullpen require two different mindsets. McCarthy is a starter. Vazquez has continually proven otherwise.

Chips
08-21-2006, 08:23 PM
:deadhorse:

gobears1987
08-21-2006, 08:24 PM
I wouldn't have an issue with Javy in the pen. BMac can't do any worse.

sox1970
08-21-2006, 08:29 PM
The five starters are Contreras, Buehrle, Garcia, Garland, and Vazquez. It's too late to change now.

The challenge now is to find a guy to match Santana win for win. If the Twins win Santana's remaining 8 starts, I'm afraid we're going to have to rely on Jon Garland to be the man the rest of the season. The rest of our rotation is no better than the Twins I'm afraid.

kitekrazy
08-21-2006, 08:36 PM
6 man rotation.

kittle42
08-21-2006, 08:37 PM
I miss Aaron Rowand.

Carl Everett would bring spark.

Cotts sucks.

Mackowiak sucks.

Never play bench players.

SpartanSoxFan
08-21-2006, 08:38 PM
This subject has been beaten to death numerous times. McCarthy isn't "stretched," that is, he isn't conditioned to pitch more than 3 innings at a time. He most likely won't see the light of day as a regular starter until next year unless there is an emergency.

paciorek1983
08-21-2006, 08:38 PM
No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No.

It's too late for that. And, you then lose bullpen help. Can we finally put an end to this subject for this year? (No)

Jjav829
08-21-2006, 08:39 PM
Too late now.

We're going to sink or swim based on whether Contreras and Buehrle consistently pitch like they are capable of pitching over the next 6 weeks.

zmz723
08-21-2006, 08:42 PM
your name says it all:

http://daverattigan.typepad.com/the_grace_pages/images/doh.gif

Chips
08-21-2006, 08:43 PM
This subject has been beaten to death numerous times. McCarthy isn't "stretched," that is, he isn't conditioned to pitch more than 3 innings at a time. He most likely won't see the light of day as a regular starter until next year unless there is an emergency.

:thumbsup:

Chicken Dinner
08-21-2006, 08:45 PM
After today's game I believe Brandon McCarthy should be put in the rotation. Anyone else believe Ozzie should change the rotation?
By the way why wasn't he put in yesterday's game or in today's game in the 6th inning.

Get off it. NO!

JB98
08-21-2006, 08:46 PM
Sometimes I feel like I'm beating a dead horse, and I don't know why you've been bringing me down...

QCIASOXFAN
08-21-2006, 08:59 PM
When are these stupid ****ing threads gonna go away!:angry: For the 1,000,223,323 time he has been in the bullpen all year and isn't stretched out to be a starter. Plus Ozzie has said like 398,34434343 times that he isn't going to be in the starting rotation.

BanditJimmy
08-21-2006, 09:03 PM
The bottom line since day 1 has been $$$.

There is no way for a ML team to justify putting an $7-12 million arm in the bullpen unless you are the New York Yankees. All of the Sox starters are making that kind of money.

Frater Perdurabo
08-21-2006, 09:08 PM
What I do not understand is why McCarthy's previous appearance was so long ago - on August 16.
:?:

But what absolutely floors me is that not only does Cotts have more appearances (57) than McCarthy (42), but Cotts actually leads the Sox in appearances!
:angry:

Here are some other interesting Sox pitching stats:

Lip has to be grinding his teeth to know that rookie Sean Tracey has the lowest WHIP (1.00) on the team. Lip's anointed "savior" and favorite, Jeff Nelson, has the highest (3.00)! (Sorry, I like to needle Lip over his pathological dislike of prospects and obsessive preference for fossilized geezers.)
:tongue:
Anyway, Cotts (1.48) has the highest WHIP on the current 25-man roster. By comparison, McCarthy (1.24) is third among Sox pitchers on the active roster. Only MacDougal (1.08) and Contreras (1.20) have lower WHIPs than McCarthy. Compare that to the other starters' WHIPs: Vazquez (1.35), Buehrle (1.36), Garcia (1.38), Garland (1.38).

FACT: McCarthy's WHIP is better than that of four of the current five starters.

Cotts (.492) is also dead last among current Sox pitchers in SLG against. McCarthy (.424) is seventh. Only Contreras (.372) and Vazquez (.423) are better, while Buehrle (.474), Garland (.474) and Garcia (.478) are worse than McCarthy.

FACT: McCarthy's SLG against is better than three of the current five starters.

Cotts (.341) is also dead last among current Sox pitchers in OBP against. (Only Politte, Logan, Haeger and Nelson were worse!) McCarthy (.305) is sixth. Among the starters, only Contreras (.298) is better (Detroit start not included). Compare that to the other starters OBPs against: Garcia (.324), Garland (.329), Buehrle (.330) and Vazquez (.330).

FACT: McCarthy's OBP against is better than four of the current five starters.

The bottom line is that McCarthy - because of his success as a starter in the past and therefore his proven ability to get both righties and lefties out, and based on his superior numbers this year - should at least get more opportunities out of the pen than Cotts. Moreover, McCarthy has produced better numbers than the majority of the Sox starters in WHIP, SLG against and OBP against. (ERA is inherently unreliable measure for relievers, who can allow unlimited inherited runners to score without it affecting their ERA. Cotts has taken advantage of this loophole more than anyone since Mike Jackson in 2004.)

FRATER'S OPINION, BASED ON FACT: McCarthy should be starting.

eurotrash35
08-21-2006, 09:11 PM
The bottom line since day 1 has been $$$.

There is no way for a ML team to justify putting an $7-12 million arm in the bullpen unless you are the New York Yankees. All of the Sox starters are making that kind of money.

I'm pretty sure if somebody is sucking as bad as vazquez it can be justified. gotta cut your losses sometime. if by some chance we make the playoffs he'll be there anyway.

doh286
08-21-2006, 09:12 PM
Thank you for pointing out this evidence Frater.

slobes
08-21-2006, 09:21 PM
I miss Aaron Rowand.

Cotts sucks.

Mackowiak sucks.

Don't forget that Widger is still to blame for every White Sox loss.

slobes
08-21-2006, 09:25 PM
But what absolutely floors me is that not only does Cotts have more appearances (57) than McCarthy (42), but Cotts actually leads the Sox in appearances!

A large part of this is because much of our bullpen hasn't been with the Sox for the entire year. The guys that have been around have more specialized roles (Bobby=save situations, McCarthy=long relief).

Frater Perdurabo
08-21-2006, 09:35 PM
A large part of this is because much of our bullpen hasn't been with the Sox for the entire year. The guys that have been around have more specialized roles (Bobby=save situations, McCarthy=long relief).

The problem is that McCarthy may be thought of as a "long reliever," but in practice Ozzie has used him like any other reliever, with a quick hook seemingly based solely on lefty-righty matchups. The only exceptions I can think of have been the extra-inning games. Otherwise, McCarthy truly has been wasted. Have we heard of a LOOGY? Well, Ozzie uses McCarthy as a "ROOGY."
:(:

greygoose
08-21-2006, 10:28 PM
Whoa! Watch out using logic around here! Or worse, offering how to improve the team.

monkeypants
08-21-2006, 10:36 PM
I agree that McCarthy has been misused in the bullpen this year and that he shouldn't be used so much as a "ROOGY" (I like that Frater) but as middle relief which he is well suited to do. And yes, as of right now I'd love to see him in the rotation instead of some of our starters because of how they have been pitching.

BUT, it is too late in the season to plug him into the rotation unless there is an injury. He is not conditioned to be a starter now. McCarthy starting is not happening and it will not happen this year. Let it go. This horse has been beaten repeatedly.

jenn2080
08-21-2006, 11:27 PM
Huh wierd a Brandon in the rotation thread. Havent seen this one in a while. We are beating half the horse population tonight.

BadBobbyJenks
08-21-2006, 11:33 PM
I miss Aaron Rowand.

Cotts sucks.

Mackowiak sucks.

Very nice.

B-M-A-C will be there starting next year end of story, deal with it folks

08-22-2006, 12:05 AM
Don't do it

TornLabrum
08-22-2006, 12:20 AM
What I do not understand is why McCarthy's previous appearance was so long ago - on August 16.
:?:

Here are some other interesting Sox pitching stats:

Lip has to be grinding his teeth to know that rookie Sean Tracey has the lowest WHIP (1.00) on the team. Lip's anointed "savior" and favorite, Jeff Nelson, has the highest (3.00)! (Sorry, I like to needle Lip over his pathological dislike of prospects and obsessive preference for fossilized geezers.)
:tongue:
Anyway, Cotts (1.48) has the highest WHIP on the current 25-man roster. By comparison, McCarthy (1.24) is third among Sox pitchers on the active roster. Only MacDougal (1.08) and Contreras (1.20) have lower WHIPs than McCarthy. Compare that to the other starters' WHIPs: Vazquez (1.35), Buehrle (1.36), Garcia (1.38), Garland (1.38).

FACT: McCarthy's WHIP is better than that of four of the current five starters.

Cotts (.492) is also dead last among current Sox pitchers in SLG against. McCarthy (.424) is seventh. Only Contreras (.372) and Vazquez (.423) are better, while Buehrle (.474), Garland (.474) and Garcia (.478) are worse than McCarthy.

FACT: McCarthy's SLG against is better than three of the current five starters.

Cotts (.341) is also dead last among current Sox pitchers in OBP against. (Only Politte, Logan, Haeger and Nelson were worse!) McCarthy (.305) is sixth. Among the starters, only Contreras (.298) is better (Detroit start not included). Compare that to the other starters OBPs against: Garcia (.324), Garland (.329), Buehrle (.330) and Vazquez (.330).

FACT: McCarthy's OBP against is better than four of the current five starters.

The bottom line is that McCarthy - because of his success as a starter in the past and therefore his proven ability to get both righties and lefties out, and based on his superior numbers this year - should at least get more opportunities out of the pen than Cotts. Moreover, McCarthy has produced better numbers than the majority of the Sox starters in WHIP, SLG against and OBP against. (ERA is inherently unreliable measure for relievers, who can allow unlimited inherited runners to score without it affecting their ERA. Cotts has taken advantage of this loophole more than anyone since Mike Jackson in 2004.)

FRATER'S OPINION, BASED ON FACT: McCarthy should be starting.

Okay Frater, tell me this. What is the greatest number of innings McCarthy has pitched in a game this year? How many innings pitched has he accumulated?

He's not going to start. There's not going to be a six-man rotation. If you put one of the starters in the pen, he takes McCarthy's place. Based on the complaints here, that would seem to weaken the bullpen.

CLR01
08-22-2006, 12:35 AM
Okay Frater, tell me this. What is the greatest number of innings McCarthy has pitched in a game this year? How many innings pitched has he accumulated?

He's not going to start. There's not going to be a six-man rotation. If you put one of the starters in the pen, he takes McCarthy's place. Based on the complaints here, that would seem to weaken the bullpen.

Really, if McCarthy can't pitch more than a few innings there really isn't a difference if the order is Vazquez, McCarthy, bullpen or McCarthy, Vazquez, bullpen. If McCarthy moves to the rotation the Sox will need someone to handle long relief and that man will be Javier. Vazquez has shown he has the ability to melt down in any inning and Ozzie has shown he has the ablity to not see, or not care about, the signs of that happening. If he refuses to give him the quick hook now what would a move to the bullpen change?

dickallen15
08-22-2006, 12:41 AM
I think McCarthy has been really mismanaged this season. Maybe the White Sox have soured on him, but if the plan is still to throw him in the rotation next year, at what point of next season will we be concerned about his innings? This has really been a wasted year in the development of the organization's #1 pitching prospect. It would at least be understandable if the starting rotation had lived up to its billing, but its been BRUTAL. If for some reason he doesn't work out next season, there are several people in the White Sox organization that will have to take a good look into the mirror and ask themselves if they really had this kid's and the organization's best interest in mind with how he was used in 2006.

thomas35forever
08-22-2006, 12:51 AM
I'll only say this: let the season play out with the crappy starters we have now (except for Garland) and wait for B-Mac to win 15 games for us next season.

BainesHOF
08-22-2006, 01:08 AM
The Sox have tremendously wasted McCarthy this year. How many times did Ozzie bring him into a game when the horse already had left the barn? And now he can't break into a rotation whose wheels have come off? Give me a break.

Ozzie has horribly mismanaged the starting rotation this year. He blindly leaves starters in games to give up run after run when it's clear the pitcher doesn't have it.

TheOldRoman
08-22-2006, 02:51 AM
I think McCarthy has been really mismanaged this season. Maybe the White Sox have soured on him, but if the plan is still to throw him in the rotation next year, at what point of next season will we be concerned about his innings? This has really been a wasted year in the development of the organization's #1 pitching prospect. It would at least be understandable if the starting rotation had lived up to its billing, but its been BRUTAL. If for some reason he doesn't work out next season, there are several people in the White Sox organization that will have to take a good look into the mirror and ask themselves if they really had this kid's and the organization's best interest in mind with how he was used in 2006.
:rolleyes:

/\ You sure have been getting a lot of those lately. And let there be no doubt, they are well deserved.

TheOldRoman
08-22-2006, 03:05 AM
Whoa! Watch out using logic around here! Or worse, offering how to improve the team.
:rolleyes:
No, the poster was not using logic. And he/she was not offering anything. It was an opinion, just like the blowhard at the end of the bar has. Putting McCarthy in the rotation wouldn't improve anything. I could understand this arguement if McCarthy is dominating, but he is far from it. He will be very good for us in the future, but he isn't going to step into the rotation now and rack up a bunch of quality starts. In fact, he wouldn't do any better than Vazquez (not being stretched out is only one of the reasons). Javy has the ability to dominate, as he has shown us at times. This is the same thing as Contreras last year. People who were screaming for Contreras' head last year are know defending him after the second straight start where he followed up a mediocre Vazquez performance with a horrible one of his own. Why is that? Because Contreras eventually showed us that he is a great pitcher, and can dominate. Vazquez eventually will, also.

Another important factor is weakening the bullpen. If you swap Brandon and Javy, you get a MINIMAL gain in the rotation at best. However, it would be a huge downgrade for the pen because a) Javy isn't used to it b)it would mess with his confidence even more to put him in the pen now. It also creates a new problem because Vazquez will again be in our rotation next year. Even if we ****can him for the rest of the year, we will need to rely on him again in 07. Garcia will be traded, and McCarthy will take his spot. Who would replace Javy? Broadway? Unless Kenny can pull a rabbit out of a hat and get a great CHEAP young starter in a trade, we won't be moving 2 starters this offseason. You can't have two unproven kids in the rotation for a playoff-caliber team. This has nothing to do with money. Like it or not, KW brought Javy in because he knew he could dominate. McCarthy has not shown us he can yet. Vazquez has only become the whipping boy because of the struggles of Buehrle and Garcia. If they were having average years for them, we would be in first place, and Vazquez would be a non-issue going into the playoffs. Despite that, there would still be lunatics on here screaming that our 5th starter would eventually lead to our demise.:rolleyes:

Dan H
08-22-2006, 06:52 AM
I see nothing wrong with giving McCarthy a spot start, but I agree with most on this thread: It is too late to change his role.

I think McCarthy's name keeps coming up out of frustration for most Sox fans. Garcia just doesn't have it, Vazquez does his usual thing, and Contreras has gone south. Some fans are just grasping at straws because they can't stand to see another Sox starter lit up.

Thinking about putting McCarthy in the rotation is a trip to la-la land. I am about to say the same thing when it comes to this team returning to the playoffs. Cub pitching looks better right now. At least they can beat the Cardinals. Wish the Sox would do the same to the Twins. Meanwhile, I wish the Sox could do something, but I don't know what that something would be. This is it. They have a starting staff that stinks. I hope Buehrle can prove me wrong in the second game against the Tigers, but I doubt it. Sox pitchers are imploding. Suddenly this dynasty looks like it was a one hit wonder.

Baby Fisk
08-22-2006, 08:04 AM
I think McCarthy's name keeps coming up out of frustration for most Sox fans. Garcia just doesn't have it, Vazquez does his usual thing, and Contreras has gone south. Some fans are just grasping at straws because they can't stand to see another Sox starter lit up.

That sums it up nicely. It makes no sense to yank Fingernails out of his current role with 5 weeks to go and imply to him, essentially: "the season now rests on your shoulders".

caulfield12
08-22-2006, 08:27 AM
Sox pitchers are imploding. Suddenly this dynasty looks like it was a one hit wonder.

Having a Braves or Yankees-like run has always been the goal, but there's a reason that type of run has been so rare.

Personally, I think Brandon should have been sent to AAA to build up his arm strength 3-4 weeks ago. He did have five quality starts in a row coming down the stretch last year in September, so we know the ability is there.

The Yankees have an All-Star at every position on the field and they still aren't leading the AL, not even close. The teams with the biggest payrolls in the game have used Jason Johnson (who was released by the pitching-starved Indians) and Sidney Ponson (twice waived) as fifth starters.

Nobody could have predicted that Buehrle and Garcia would struggle this much. Maybe it's because Vazquez makes a ton of money and was expected to be an ace at one point that people expect too much out of him. I looked at Vazquez as a long-term investment that we MIGHT be able to turn into another Contreras or Loiaza, otherwise, he was a VERY solid fifth starter and a .500 starter that wouldn't hurt the team. Definitely one of the 2-3 best in that spot in the majors.

The White Sox team that won the WS last year had no CHANCE at becoming a dynasty the way it was constructed. That's why KW made the changes he did...if he hadn't, we wouldn't be leading the Twins and Red Sox for the Wild Card with less than forty games to go.

If we lose 3/4 or get swept in Detroit, then I might start to worry a little, but Minnesota simply doesn't have the pitching depth with their injuries to go on a sustained run UNTIL they get Liriano back, which won't happen for at least three weeks.

monkeypants
08-22-2006, 08:32 AM
I see nothing wrong with giving McCarthy a spot start, but I agree with most on this thread: It is too late to change his role.

Thank you. Listening to some of these responses...

"It feels like I'm taking crazy pills!"

http://www.markbarryportfolio.com/works/Assorted/ionarts/mugatu.jpg

Frater Perdurabo
08-22-2006, 08:54 AM

Hal, I agree that realistically it is too late to get McCarthy into the rotation. Hindsight is always 20/20, but part of why organizations pay managers and GMs the big bucks is to identify trends and adjust accordingly. Both Ozzie and Kenny have failed to identify and react to some OBVIOUS trends with the pitching staff.

I still think Ozzie is a good manager, but the evidence overwhelmingly demonstrates that Ozzie has horribly mismanaged his pitching this year. Repeatedly Ozzie has used Neal Cotts in tight situations with the bases filled with runners and repeatedly Neal has failed. Repeatedly Ozzie has used McCarthy as a mere "ROOGY" (other than in extra-inning games) and therefore repeatedly has wasted McCarthy. Repeatedly Ozzie has shown blind faith in Vazquez and repeatedly Vazquez has laid a steaming pile on the mound.

KW should have seen this and done something about it once it was clear he couldn't land a starter before the July 31 trade deadline. He should have sent McCarthy to Charlotte on Aug. 1 to get stretched out and recalled either Tracey or Montero, both of whom have been servicable in their brief stints with the Sox. By now, McCarthy would have been ready to replace Vazquez in the rotation, and Vazquez would be sent to the bullpen, and either Tracey or Montero would have been sent down again. But, since no one can expect "The Kenny" to always be able to predict the future, I suppose I can give him a mulligan. He also deserves credit for reconstructing the bullpen on the fly since spring training, adding Thornton, Riske and MacDougal.

I repeat, Ozzie is a good manager and I still thank him for leading the Sox to the World Series victory last year. Still, he is mortal and is capable of making bad decisions, which it is clear he has done in his handling of Cotts, McCarthy and Vazquez. If the definition of insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly but expecting different results, Ozzie is certifiably insane.

Fake Chet Lemon
08-22-2006, 09:18 AM
It is too late. What we need to ask is "Why didn't Ozzie do this early in the season when everyone else knew the starters were not a strength of this team?"

It just sucks when a player who deserves an opportunity doesn't even get a chance. Why does Brian Anderson get an opportunity and Brandon doesn't? This reminds me when Jerry Manuel constantly benched a young Paul Konerko to play a broken down Harold Baines. It just sucks when managers play favorites to the detriment of the team. Whatever McCarthy did to piss you off Ozzie, GTF OVER IT next year!!!!!!!!!!

caulfield12
08-22-2006, 09:19 AM
Well, we did get different results from Vazquez against Toronto and the Yankees...I don't think many expected to survive that Yankees game, many would probably argue in hindsight it was luck.

I wrote earlier in the thread essentially the same thing about building McCarthy up to start again as insurance. I'm not sure that it's just not hubris or stubbornness...they were right to trade for Vazquez (as a starter), they were right to stick with Garcia instead of trading him, it's almost like they want to be vindicated for putting their faith in the horses that brought them to the dance last year.

They've bent over backwards w/ Politte, Hermanson and Cotts this year to show faith in them despite continued struggles. In fact, OG said something along the lines of McCarthy not being ready to start, something diminishing about his stuff (which has looked very good at times) and that he definitely wasn't going to make the move, no matter what.

I think every manager, GM, organization should be flexible. If we were so open to doing EVERYTHING possible to survive September last year, why should this season be different? I don't actually understand why Cotts came in two days ago when we had plenty of rested relievers, and why we wasted Thornton yesterday. Lots of curious decisions. Use Thornton when the lead's 4-1 to keep it that way, that's logical...but not when it totally got away from Jose. Why stop managing the way you were against the Yankees and Tigers (at the Cell) when you play the Royals or go on the road?

We have Garland, Jenks, Thornton and MacDougal that we can really count on, and I'm not 100% sold on the last two, but they've been solid. It's difficult to win when the majority of the pitching staff is not trustworthy.

southside rocks
08-22-2006, 09:34 AM
This from the book "Feeding the Monster" by Seth Mnookin, which I am currently reading:

"The mechanics involved in pitching a baseball produce some of the most violent motions in all of sports. Tests done by a biomechanical engineer at the American Sports Medicine Institute in Birmingham, Alabama, showed that an average human ulnar collateral ligament, which connects the large bone that runs from the shoulder to the elbow to one of the two bones that make up the forearm, would snap when placed under the amount of pressure a major league pitcher uses to throw a fastball. When pitchers talk of building up 'arm strength', they're talking of building up their muscles so as to decrease the possibility of muscle tears. Obviously, the physical strains of throwing approximately 100 pitches every five days -- a normal workload for a starting pitcher -- are different from throwing 15 pitches every other day, a more average load for a closer, and one of the most important aspects of maintaining pitching health is allowing the body to properly heal between appearances."

Pages 206-207.

This is why when people note that McCarthy isn't "stretched out", it's a big deal and one that prevents him from simply swapping his seat in the bullpen for one on the bench and starting next Sunday.

When are they going to stretch him out? I don't know. Is he going to play winter ball? I'm guessing he will do conditioning work and lots of throwing over the winter so that when he reports to spring training he can start throwing as a starter. Even so, I expect Coop and Ozzie to keep his pitch count on the low side for his first few starts.

Another point: the blithe "let Brandon do it!" implies that some starter is going to be taken out of the rotation. Who? And who here has any idea what that would or could do to that pitcher's head? Pitchers are head-cases anyway. Look how hard Ozzie has worked to keep Buehrle from losing confidence totally this year. Imagine Vazquez, or Garcia, banished to the bullpen. You might as well send them home, because they'll be NO bleeping use to the team for the rest of this year.

JMO. :tongue:

35th&Shields
08-22-2006, 10:02 AM
Too late now.

We're going to sink or swim based on whether Contreras and Buehrle consistently pitch like they are capable of pitching over the next 6 weeks.

I think we are going to sink or swim based on what happens over the next 6 days with 3 at Detroit and 3 with Minnesota. If things go badly we'd be heading into September on a slide.