PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Miller makes minor league debut

caulfield12
08-21-2006, 01:25 PM
http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Miller%20%28H%2C%201%29&pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=453192

They're already talking about bringing him up in September and using him in the pen...don't think they would put him on the post-season roster, but this should be more interesting intrigue with the AL Central going down to the final out.

DumpJerry
08-21-2006, 01:34 PM
Who????? It looks like he is with the Tigers' organization (all that came up was a stat line for the "Lakeland Tigers.")
September callups cannot be on postseason rosters.
Doesn't this belong in Minor Observations?

caulfield12
08-21-2006, 01:56 PM
He was one of the top 2-3 draft picks.

He signed for something like $5.5 million, pitched for UNC and was seen by many scouts as having the highest upside of any pitching prospect in the draft.

He was drafted specifically to come in this year and help the Tigers.

And he has one of those contracts that I think immediately puts him on the 40 man roster...if they activated him before the end of the month, he would be eligible.

DumpJerry
08-21-2006, 02:00 PM
IIRC, you have to be on the 25 man roster on August 31 to be eligible for the postseason. 40 man roster makes you eligible for Sept. callup duty, which is what your post says.

Oblong
08-21-2006, 02:18 PM
His contract called for him to pitch for the Tigers in September.

I seriously doubt he'd be on the 25 man roster for the playoffs roster deadline.

caulfield12
08-21-2006, 02:21 PM
Well, Walker's their lefty, and they have Grilli and Colon at the end of the pen.

I could see Detroit going with an extra lefty for the playoffs and dumping one of their long men, middle inning eaters, even though both those guys have pitched very well.

A lot will depend on what happens over the next 10 days I would imagine.

ChiSoxRowand
08-21-2006, 04:25 PM
IIRC, you have to be on the 25 man roster on August 31 to be eligible for the postseason. 40 man roster makes you eligible for Sept. callup duty, which is what your post says.

They do have that loophole though, where if a guy is on the DL you can use someone called up after august 31st. I dont know exactly what the rule is.

TheKittle
08-21-2006, 04:59 PM
They do have that loophole though, where if a guy is on the DL you can use someone called up after august 31st. I dont know exactly what the rule is.

That's true. KRod in the 2002 postseason was a prime example of that.