PDA

View Full Version : Harris prefers the outfield

Chisox_cali
02-22-2002, 05:17 PM
From the TSN Sox Report (http://www.sportingnews.com/baseball/teams/whitesox/):

EARLY SPRING SURPRISE

Second baseman/center fielder Willie Harris bears a striking physical resemblance to Durham. Considering Harris could be the team's starting second baseman when the 2003 season opens, call it a look of irony. Durham will be a free agent at the end of the year, and the team's already strained budget probably can't afford his asking price. That is a big reason why G.M. Ken Williams acquired Harris from the Orioles in a trade for Chris Singleton.

With his ability to play two positions -- Harris actually prefers the outfield -- Manuel already is talking about keeping the 23-year-old Harris in a reserve role. Harris could give Durham and Lofton occasional breathers in the starting lineup. But his primary role would be pinch running late in games. At Class AA Bowie last season, Harris batted .305 and stole 54 bases.

There aren't many jobs open in the team's training camp, but Harris might be good enough to force his way onto the 25-man roster.

Hopefully a sign that Hummel will get the job at Second and Harris one in the OF in 2003

hold2dibber
02-22-2002, 06:10 PM
I don't see Harris being a starting OF for the Sox. Hopefully in 2003, LTP will be in CF. Maggs will, of course, be in RF. That leaves left; I think (and hope) C. Lee is going to come into his own over the next year or two and will solidify LF for the next 5 years. If not, I see Rowand, or possibly Liefer, as the LF of the future. Harris, if he is not the starting 2B, will be a utility guy in 2003.

Chisox_cali
02-22-2002, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I don't see Harris being a starting OF for the Sox. Hopefully in 2003, LTP will be in CF. Maggs will, of course, be in RF. That leaves left; I think (and hope) C. Lee is going to come into his own over the next year or two and will solidify LF for the next 5 years. If not, I see Rowand, or possibly Liefer, as the LF of the future. Harris, if he is not the starting 2B, will be a utility guy in 2003.

But who will lead-off? I see Harris as a OF/Lead-off hitter in '03

doublem23
02-22-2002, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali

But who will lead-off? I see Harris as a OF/Lead-off hitter in '03

I could see an OF of Borchard-Harris-Ordonez in 2003... Of course, this all depends on whether or not Carlos Lee figures it out, but I think this is his last chance. He's been around since when? 1999... Yeah... His extreme liability on defense makes him expendable if he can't swing the bat like a superstar.

bc2k
02-23-2002, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
From the TSN Sox Report (http://www.sportingnews.com/baseball/teams/whitesox/):

EARLY SPRING SURPRISE

With his ability to play two positions -- Harris actually prefers the outfield -- Manuel already is talking about keeping the 23-year-old Harris in a reserve role. Harris could give Durham and Lofton occasional breathers in the starting lineup. But his primary role would be pinch running late in games. At Class AA Bowie last season, Harris batted .305 and stole 54 bases.

This means Josh Paul is playing in the minors because Harris is taking his pinch running role. Thank you Mr. Harris -- I mean the new Mr. Versatility. I'll see you later Josh, much later.

RichH55
02-23-2002, 03:48 AM
I would bet Harris prefers whatever position will allow him to play....His OBP was .364 last year(IIRC) so unless we see some improvement there(you can assume some drop off when he gets to the major leagues) than starting him as your lead-off hitter does exactly help you ...stolen bases notwithstanding.......essentially I can see us making a big run at Erstad this offseason