PDA

View Full Version : Magglio on the hot seat in Detroit

Hitmen77
08-21-2006, 09:16 AM
According to today's Tribune, they're not too happy in Tigertown with Mr. $75million's second half drop off.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060820tigersside,1,7912939.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

caulfield12
08-21-2006, 09:41 AM
His power has definitely been down, although much of that is attributable to the stadium he plays in...I can't imagine him hitting less than 25 homers if he played half his games in the Cell.

I looked at the signing more as giving the team a sense of credibility and a settling veteran presence, along with Guillen and I-Rod. Magglio has always been a heavier play, and I always wondered how he would handle the transition into his mid 30's and how much wear and tear his knees could take. The White Sox definitely have gotten better production and payroll flexibility out of Dye. Probably not a better FA signing over the last couple of years in baseball.

It's not nearly as bad as the unforgettable Juan Gone deal that was never signed. But the Tigers could sure use some of that money to sign Bonderman to an extension.

slavko
08-21-2006, 05:14 PM
I'm not watching too closely but against us at USC he seemed to be running the bases well, hitting the ball solidly as always, a bit lost in RF as always, and facially at least, the same size as in his Sox days. Worth $75M? Not a chance, that's why we didn't sign him. Maggs, that's show biz.

Ol' No. 2
08-21-2006, 05:35 PM
I'm not watching too closely but against us at USC he seemed to be running the bases well, hitting the ball solidly as always, a bit lost in RF as always, and facially at least, the same size as in his Sox days. Worth $75M? Not a chance, that's why we didn't sign him. Maggs, that's show biz.Ultimately, it always comes down to now how well you play, but how well you play for the money you're getting. No way they're getting their money's worth, although he's not the only one not earning his pay. For whatever reason, the Tigers felt they had to ridiculously overpay to get players. It's going to really hamper them down the line when some of their younger guys want theirs.