PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 8-21

Lip Man 1
08-20-2006, 12:55 PM
Four score and seven years ago...

August 21, 1926 - Ted Lyons fires a no hitter in beating Boston 6-0 at Fenway Park. Lyons, a future Hall Of Famer would win 260 games in a 21 year career, all with the Sox. His number #16 would be retired by the club in 1987.

August 21, 1959 - It’s Nellie Fox Day at Comiskey Park. In the midst of a pennant race, the Sox honor their second baseman and future Hall of Famer. Fox is given a new boat, shotgun and other presents and tears up when he speaks to the home crowd. He’d go on to become the American League’s M.V.P. that season.

August 21, 1973 - Sox pitcher Stan Bahnsen takes a no hitter into the 9th inning against the Indians in Cleveland. After getting the first two outs, former Sox outfielder Walt Williams gets a ground single to left past Bill Melton. Stan then gets the final out, finishing with a one hitter, in the 4-0 win.

August 21, 2005 - The Sox tie the club record by hitting four home runs in a single inning. It happens off the Yankees Randy Johnson in a 6-2 win at U.S. Cellular Field. The four who go deep are Tadahito Iguchi, Aaron Rowand, Paul Konerko and Chris Widger.

Lip

Brian26
08-20-2006, 01:50 PM
Fox is given a new boat, shotgun and other presents and tears up when he speaks to the home crowd.

You have to love the 1950's. It was perfectly acceptable to give someone a shotgun as a sign of appreciation. Good job! :thumbsup:

TornLabrum
08-20-2006, 01:52 PM
Once slight correction: It was Nellie Fox Night (and advertised as such). I listened to the ceremonies and the game on the radio because night home games weren't televised on Channel 9.

batmanZoSo
08-20-2006, 02:38 PM
Lots of cool memories lately. Lip, as a token of my gratitude, I award you this sawed off shotgun.

http://shop.military-club.cz/images/airsoft/maruzen/maruzen_ca870_sm.jpg
Use it wisely, my friend.

Wsoxmike59
08-20-2006, 02:55 PM
I remember the Bahnsen near no hitter. The picture of him in the paper the next day showed his anguish as the ball just eluded Bill Melton for a 1B.

Melton was playing in looking for the bunt attempt by Walt Williams, who later in his post game interview said he would never bunt against his former teammates to break up the no hitter. Any other team in the league he said he would've bunted to break up the no hitter, but NOT against the Sox.

Lip Man 1
08-20-2006, 05:26 PM
The Bahnsen game has another personal memory for me. The next day my family and I drove me off to the University of Kentucky to begin college. It was the last Sox game I saw for a very long time (Lexington is Reds country.)

Lip

slobes
08-20-2006, 06:41 PM
Unbelievable that Chris Widger's name is actually somehwhere in the White Sox record book.

stl_sox_fan
08-20-2006, 06:54 PM
Unbelievable that Chris Widger's name is actually somehwhere in the White Sox record book.

Ahh, I remember Widge with his Foster Grant shades on that day....
The even scarier thing is Joe Borchard is in the Sox Record book also(longest HR at Comiskey).