PDA

View Full Version : Looking ahead to the Detroit series

jacobwalls
08-20-2006, 12:51 AM
I just notice we have the pitching advantage in every game!.
Jose over Verlander
Mark over Rogers
Freddy over Miner
Jon over Robertson

SOXfnNlansing
08-20-2006, 01:05 AM
I can't wait, bring them on and take 3 of 4

batmanZoSo
08-20-2006, 01:08 AM
Jose over Verlander
Mark over Rodgers
Freddy over Miner
Jon over Robertson

How is Buehrle an advantage over Rogers? Freddy is debatable as is Jose. You never know what you're gonna get from Freddy and Contreras has been sub-stellar lately, to say the least. The only inarguable one is Garland.

caulfield12
08-20-2006, 01:13 AM
Jose over Verlander
Mark over Rodgers
Freddy over Miner
Jon over Robertson

It's Rogers, by the way. All of them would be considered toss-ups, at best, and Detroit will be favored in every game probably (by the Vegas oddsmakers), unless the White Sox win the first two or three in a row.

Miner has pitched very well this season for a throw-in from the Farnsworth deal. And Jon still has an ERA nearly a point higher than Robertson, although we know how well Garland, Radke and Silva have pitched recently despite high season ERA's.

But it is an advantage to have one of their two aces (Bonderman) out and our 4/5 (Vazquez) not pitching. In and of itself, that gives us an advantage, but it didn't mean much when we played Minnesota or KC at home.

jacobwalls
08-20-2006, 01:17 AM
game one we rock verlander
game 2 Rogers has been shacky when Mark is turning it around
game 3 id take freddy over miner any day
game 4 Garland has been well wow latly.

caulfield12
08-20-2006, 01:29 AM
In case you missed it, Verlander has an ERA under 2.00 for the season if you take out his games against the White Sox.

With allegations of tipping pitches, he's going to be at the top of his game and he's simply too talented to keep losing to us over and over again. He might even be the Cy Young leader if not for his results against the Sox.

I couldn't feel confident of Garcia going against any opponent for the rest of this season.

Contreras has also had Detroit's number...you just hope the pattern keeps recurring, knowing that it has to stop at some point.

MISoxfan
08-20-2006, 01:54 AM
In case you missed it, Verlander has an ERA under 2.00 for the season if you take out his games against the White Sox.

With allegations of tipping pitches, he's going to be at the top of his game and he's simply too talented to keep losing to us over and over again. He might even be the Cy Young leader if not for his results against the Sox.

I couldn't feel confident of Garcia going against any opponent for the rest of this season.

Contreras has also had Detroit's number...you just hope the pattern keeps recurring, knowing that it has to stop at some point.

Would you ever take away the worst games of our pitchers and post their ERA's and show it as a positive?

When an opponent is dominant against us would you look to that series and say oh that's a good thing because it's bound to turn around sometime?

You're some sort of Detroit polyanna.

hawkjt
08-20-2006, 02:04 AM
verlander is a 6 inning pitcher , tops, now. He has been getting knocked around by more than just the sox lately.

But we also rarely know what we are getting for quality starts these days either. I do think we are at the absolute low ebb for pitchers at this point in the season. Two weeks to Sept, when the cooler weather and the finish in sight along with reinforcements from the minors rejuvenates the club. Two long weeks to slug thru , the whole league is hurting for pitching.

RowanDye
08-20-2006, 02:21 AM

I guess you don't really even need to follow the team for the next week then do you?

caulfield12
08-20-2006, 07:07 AM
I think it's ridiculous to say we have the best chance to win every game next week IN Detroit.

I think we'll go 2-2 or 3-1.

However, I just wonder if the poster has even watched most of these Detroit pitchers or is just going off reputation alone.

Jose has dominated Detroit, even when he was w/ the Yankees and 04 and 05 with the White Sox. Verlander has struggled more against the Sox than any other team. That's also a fact. But that doesn't mean it's going to carry on forever.

I just think it's disrespectful to other teams to assume you're going to win.

We had the best pitching match-ups against KC and who would have ever thought we'd be lucky to split with them?

So I guess I should agree and say sure, Garcia SHOULD beat a rookie in Miner easily....well, yeah, but that was last year, not this year.

Maybe this mentality is the whole reason we've lost some of the games we have this year.

We're obviously not going to overlook DET, though. I'm sure most Twins fans feel they will win today (they've won over 80% of the games he has started), yet for some reason I have a hunch we will figure out how to beat Santana, as long as we don't let Mauer and Morneau beat us.

jacobwalls
08-20-2006, 12:46 PM
I think it's ridiculous to say we have the best chance to win every game next week IN Detroit.

I think we'll go 2-2 or 3-1.

However, I just wonder if the poster has even watched most of these Detroit pitchers or is just going off reputation alone.

Jose has dominated Detroit, even when he was w/ the Yankees and 04 and 05 with the White Sox. Verlander has struggled more against the Sox than any other team. That's also a fact. But that doesn't mean it's going to carry on forever.

I just think it's disrespectful to other teams to assume you're going to win.

We had the best pitching match-ups against KC and who would have ever thought we'd be lucky to split with them?

So I guess I should agree and say sure, Garcia SHOULD beat a rookie in Miner easily....well, yeah, but that was last year, not this year.

Maybe this mentality is the whole reason we've lost some of the games we have this year.

We're obviously not going to overlook DET, though. I'm sure most Twins fans feel they will win today (they've won over 80% of the games he has started), yet for some reason I have a hunch we will figure out how to beat Santana, as long as we don't let Mauer and Morneau beat us.
I didnt say we were gonna sweep them but i like our chances of at least 3 of 4. Yes i do watch the tigers pitchers. I have mlb.tv

Baby Fisk
08-20-2006, 12:51 PM
We may have a pitching advantage on paper, but that goes out the window once the players take the field (as this past week has proven).

The pressure on the Tigers to win this series and "make a statement" will be immense. The Sox have owned them this season, with a 9-3 record so far. Any kitten fan who claims they and their team have "no pressure" on them is talking out of their ass. If they stumble in the coming week, it could trigger a Boston-style freefall.

Motown's mojo will suddenly go missing and the Sox will win at least three, making for a September to Remember. :bandance:

Lip Man 1
08-20-2006, 12:52 PM
Ummm we have a 'little' matter of beating Santana today first. Let's try and do that before talking about matchups in the Detroit series shall we?

Lip

Baby Fisk
08-20-2006, 12:54 PM
Ummm we have a 'little' matter of beating Santana today first. Let's try and do that before talking about matchups in the Detroit series shall we?

Lip
Because we play the games and need to focus. :rolleyes:

4th Gen. Sox Fan
08-20-2006, 12:54 PM

I read on Yahoo! that Gardenhire indicated that he would sit Mauer for today's game, which is always a good thing when the top bat in the AL sits, but Redmond is no slouch

MarySwiss
08-20-2006, 12:56 PM
We may have a pitching advantage on paper, but that goes out the window once the players take the field (as this past week has proven).

The pressure on the Tigers to win this series and "make a statement" will be immense. The Sox have owned them this season, with a 9-3 record so far. Any kitten fan who claims they and their team have "no pressure" on them is talking out of their ass. If they stumble in the coming week, it could trigger a Boston-style freefall.

Motown's mojo will suddenly go missing and the Sox will win at least three, making for a September to Remember. :bandance:

Baby Fisk, I was just over checking out the Tigers board--not much to do while waiting for today's game--and most of the posters over there don't seem to be exactly looking forward to the upcoming series with us. :cool:

SOXSINCE'70
08-20-2006, 12:56 PM

Lip

Yes,that is important.I like looking forward to Series matchups as well,
but to paraphrase the 60's pop group known as The Grass Roots,
"Let's live for today and don't worry about tomorrow".

Baby Fisk
08-20-2006, 12:58 PM
Baby Fisk, I was just over checking out the Tigers board--not much to do while waiting for today's game--and most of the posters over there don't seem to be exactly looking forward to the upcoming series with us. :cool:
If one team can win at least three, it could be a big momentum shifter. If the Tigers win the series, they are back to having a comfy lead. If the Sox win the series, suddenly it's a horserace with five weeks to go. Come on, horserace!

MarySwiss
08-20-2006, 01:00 PM
If one team can win at least three, it could be a big momentum shifter. If the Tigers win the series, they are back to having a comfy lead. If the Sox win the series, suddenly it's a horserace with five weeks to go. Come on, horserace!

As long as we're being optimistic, how's this? We win today, and they lose. Then we go in there 4.5 back with 4 to play.
THAT would be interesting, no? :smile:

Baby Fisk
08-20-2006, 01:01 PM
As long as we're bring optimistic, how's this? We win today, and they lose. Then we go in there 4.5 back with 4 to play.
THAT would be interesting, no? :smile:
Gotta stay focussed! :bandance:

Brian26
08-20-2006, 01:43 PM

:hawk
"That's why you play the games."

Brian26
08-20-2006, 01:44 PM
game one we rock verlander
game 3 id take freddy over miner any day
game 4 Garland has been well wow latly.

Did southsiders and soxtalk go out of business?

Sox-o-matic
08-20-2006, 03:31 PM
It's hard to say the Sox ever have an advanage over a left handed pitcher.

Chicken Dinner
08-20-2006, 03:44 PM
Gotta stay focussed! :bandance:

Someone needs to tell Javy that.

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-20-2006, 05:28 PM
Go in there, take out losing today on the Tigers.

Every damn day.

jacobwalls
08-20-2006, 05:43 PM
time to kick some tiger ass!

chisoxmike
08-20-2006, 05:44 PM
Don't let the match ups fool you. Detroit is going to be ready. This is not going to be a walk in the park.

PKalltheway
08-20-2006, 05:57 PM
Whoa boy, this is gonna be fun! Hopefully the Sox can take 3 of 4, or maybe even sweep!! Detroit isn't going to be easy on us, though. The Sox have got to bring their 'A" game to Detroit. If we take the series, I don't care what ESPN says, they're gonna PANIC in Detroit!:cool:

Justagirl
08-20-2006, 06:00 PM
Don't let the match ups fool you. Detroit is going to be ready. This is not going to be a walk in the park.

I agree it will not be a cake walk but I have a really good feeling about this upcoming series.

Martinigirl
08-20-2006, 07:16 PM
I also think the Tigers are going to be a little freaked out, not only because they were swept by us a little more than a week ago and they were just swept by Texas, but how they lost today's game to the Rangers. That one has to hurt. And those are the kind of loses that can screw with the psyche of a team, particularly one that is facing a division rival that seems to have their number (knock on wood).

chisoxmike
08-20-2006, 07:20 PM
I also think the Tigers are going to be a little freaked out, not only because they were swept by us a little more than a week ago and they were just swept by Texas, but how they lost today's game to the Rangers. That one has to hurt. And those are the kind of loses that can screw with the psyche of a team, particularly one that is facing a division rival that seems to have their number (knock on wood).

THEY WERE NOT SWEPT BY TEXAS!!!!!! IT WAS A FOUR GAME SERIES!!!!! THE TIGERS WON ON THURSDAY.

Hawk saying the Tigers were swept was really annoying me.

jenn2080
08-20-2006, 07:23 PM
I hope they all do well. Im tired of excuses of playing down to a team or the pitching wasnt on and blah blah blah. They need to play some ****ing baseball. The playing they are capable of.

Martinigirl
08-20-2006, 07:24 PM
THEY WERE NOT SWEPT BY TEXAS!!!!!! IT WAS A FOUR GAME SERIES!!!!! THE TIGERS WON ON THURSDAY.

Hawk saying the Tigers were swept was really annoying me.

Good lord! I made a mistake, shoot me. How is this, they lost their last 3 games, the one today being a complete and utter disaster because they blew a 6 run lead.

chisoxmike
08-20-2006, 07:26 PM
Good lord! I made a mistake, shoot me. How is this, they lost their last 3 games, the one today being a complete and utter disaster because they blew a 6 run lead.

You misunderstood, I've heard countless times today that the Tigers were swept today by the Rangers, I can't believe the news outlets not checking their facts. I wasn't blowing up on you, just in general.

MarySwiss
08-20-2006, 07:47 PM
You misunderstood, I've heard countless times today that the Tigers were swept today by the Rangers, I can't believe the news outlets not checking their facts. I wasn't blowing up on you, just in general.

Mike, I heard it too and was also puzzled. Apparently, the media equates a weekend sweep with an actual sweep. That's all I can figure.

However, "the news outlets not checking their facts" surprises you? It would surprise me more if they did.

Grzegorz
08-20-2006, 07:47 PM
Jose over Verlander
Mark over Rogers
Freddy over Miner
Jon over Robertson

I am sorry I am late to the party and I cannot let this one slide.

The White Sox have no advantage over any other staff in the league. The games are not won on paper they're won on the field.

Looking at paper, the White Sox have one helluva staff. Looking at season long statistics the White Sox pitching staff has underachieved to say the least.

There is what should be and then there is what is.

"What is" is that this staff has underachieved.

After all is said and done and we've danced our little dance around this team and its shortcomings the fact remains that their fate in in there own hands.

Are they mentally tough enough to get to the playoffs? That is the sixty-four thousand dollar question...

CaptainBallz
08-20-2006, 08:01 PM
I am sorry I am late to the party and I cannot let this one slide.

The White Sox have no advantage over any other staff in the league. The games are not won on paper they're won on the field.

Looking at paper, the White Sox have one helluva staff. Looking at season long statistics the White Sox pitching staff has underachieved to say the least.

There is what should be and then there is what is.

"What is" is that this staff has underachieved.

After all is said and done and we've danced our little dance around this team and its shortcomings the fact remains that their fate in in there own hands.

Are they mentally tough enough to get to the playoffs? That is the sixty-four thousand dollar question...

So incredibly true. There's definitely no givens with this team, especially the pitching staff. The only givens seem to be the negative ones (Vasquez will lose his cool and give up the big inning, Cotts will come in after him and make matters worse, they will lose to guys like Santana, Ozzie will do lefty/righty lineup no matter what, etc...)

This team is beyond predictions, stat-checking, and historical trends. Somebody like Contreras can throw a masterful game against the Tiggers and completely lose his head against the Royals his very next start. The offense can do everything right and put up a 12 spot with singles and clutch hitting, then go out there and swing for the fences against some bozo and get shut down the very next game. You just don't frickin' know at this point. At this point, all I hope for is that the real Sox to show up everyday as opposed to the evil Sox... y'know the ones with the beards and yellow eyes.

Even if they lose the Detroit series, I just want to see a tough playing team out there from here on out. With that I'm confident.

samram
08-20-2006, 08:09 PM
Because we play the games and need to focus. :rolleyes:

Well, thanks, Baby Fisk. You obviously didn't have your head in the game today and look what happened.:D:

Tiger23
08-20-2006, 09:40 PM
I like that White Sox fans are not taking to this "we have a distinct advantage in every pitching matchup" talk. It seems obvious that any of these matchups could go in either direction. The fact that the Tigerslineup is slumping plays into the Sox hand. However, despite the Tigers poor record recently they are still getting solid pitching, particularly from Roger (surprise, surprise) and Robertson (Bonderman before today, but you don't see him anyway).

Anyway, should be a great series and I look forward to it. Realistically the Tigers dont need to win a single game right? Honestly, if they take two I'll be more than pleased. 3 would be gravy. 1 is absolutely necessary.

Jurr
08-20-2006, 09:42 PM
I'm feeling two of three for this series. We lose the opener due to our customary Santana hangover, then get down to business. If we pull another sweep, it's on like a pot of neck bones, sucka!!!!!

FielderJones
08-20-2006, 10:33 PM
this point. At this point, all I hope for everyday is for the real Sox to show up everyday as opposed to the evil Sox... y'know the ones with the beards and yellow eyes.

http://www.scifilm.org/tv/tvgraphics/st-mirror.jpg
"You mean us?"

SouthSideSlayer
08-20-2006, 10:38 PM
As long as I don't have to see Vazquez again I am happy. I want to see McCarthy come out from the pen. Interestingly Ozzie didn't have him warming up in the 5th. Maybe a hint of what is to come?? Perhaps McCarthy will get a start next week. Oh, and...I would like to see our "starters" in a few games in a row, say...a whole series. If that doesn't happen we may actually have the most well rested team at home for the playoffs.

Lip Man 1
08-20-2006, 10:38 PM
Ummm isn't it a four game series?

Lip

mccoydp
08-20-2006, 11:19 PM

http://www.pixel-shack.com/Webimages/shacksmall.jpg

Somebody say shacky?

Chips
08-20-2006, 11:28 PM
Anybody going out there for the games?

CaptainBallz
08-21-2006, 12:00 AM
http://www.scifilm.org/tv/tvgraphics/st-mirror.jpg
"You mean us?"

Throw a Sox uniform on him and he becomes my mortal enemy.

BadBobbyJenks
08-21-2006, 12:01 AM
4 games and no bonderman absolutely fantastic

Ima_Tigerfan
08-21-2006, 12:24 AM
I just thought I would add my own sense of this upcoming series. Firstly, I really think that Tiger pitching is not doing all that bad right now. Rogers has improved tremendously, since his little slide and all our other pitchers have thrown decent games. I think that what the Tigers need to worry about is 1) their inability to score runs at all and 2) their inability to hold a lead late into the games. Of course, going up against a team like the Whitesox and having those two issues does not bode well for the Tigers, given their history against the team. The Tigers have to come out and prove they can beat them. If I remember correctly, the Tigers swept the last series the Sox played against them at Comerica. But I guess we will see and heres to hoping it is a good series. :gulp:

chisoxmike
08-21-2006, 12:27 AM
If I remember correctly, the Tigers swept the last series the Sox played against them at Comerica.

Wrong. The Tigers took 2 out of 3.

Chisox003
08-21-2006, 12:29 AM
Wrong. The Tigers took 2 out of 3. :rolling:

What, you don't want to refresh his memory?

It's when Hawk said, and I'm going strictly from memory here, "You don't win [110] games because you're lucky. You win [110] games because, dammit, you're good!"

Obviously, 110 wasn't the number at the time. But by the morning of October 27th it was. :gulp:

Edit: Ah Mike, you're killing me! I liked simply "wrong."

DSpivack
08-21-2006, 12:39 AM
They have Neifi now! Look out!

Baby Fisk
08-21-2006, 09:42 AM
Well, thanks, Baby Fisk. You obviously didn't have your head in the game today and look what happened.:D:
When my ass gets benched I'm gonna deserve it. *hangs head in shame*

MarySwiss
08-21-2006, 09:51 AM
I like that White Sox fans are not taking to this "we have a distinct advantage in every pitching matchup" talk. It seems obvious that any of these matchups could go in either direction. The fact that the Tigerslineup is slumping plays into the Sox hand. However, despite the Tigers poor record recently they are still getting solid pitching, particularly from Roger (surprise, surprise) and Robertson (Bonderman before today, but you don't see him anyway).

Anyway, should be a great series and I look forward to it. Realistically the Tigers dont need to win a single game right? Honestly, if they take two I'll be more than pleased. 3 would be gravy. 1 is absolutely necessary.
I choose this option. :D:

Oblong
08-21-2006, 09:57 AM
I haven't been this excited about a series since... well the last time the Sox came to town.

This is so much fun. I just cannot say it enough. What makes it better is that I don't really hate anybody on the Sox because it's hard to. I'm not just saying that because I'm on a sox MB either. I just love baseball and I love it when teams are built the right way.

harwar
08-21-2006, 10:32 AM
I just love baseball and I love it when teams are built the right way.

Which is why i like the twins,tigers,& indians and wish that the yankees and red sox would just go away already.
I may hate them after a loss but i would definitely pull for an AL central team over any other team in the post season.

Baby Fisk
08-21-2006, 10:57 AM
Just checked in with my buddy the Tigers fan. He is not in a good mood. Feeling anxious, worried about Verlander. He has worked out the win-loss percentages required for the Tigers to a) win the division; and b) make the playoffs in comparison to the Sox. He still thinks the Tigers will win the division, but acknowledges that they have finally hit their "rough patch". He's not sure his stomach can handle a four game series... and I agreed!

Oblong
08-21-2006, 11:04 AM
THe series with TX has made me worry. Friday night's game was a perfect example. Down 2-1. In the ninth you get a leadoff triple with your 3-4-5 guys coming up. Should be a guaranteed run for a team with the best record in baseball.

Railsplitter
08-21-2006, 11:20 AM
I think the Sox need to do no worse than three out of four from the Detroit if they want to overtake the Tigers. A split means they're four days closer to the end of the season, and no closer to the Tigers than they are right now. They still have that three game set in Chicago September 18-20. After that, the Sox have ten games the Tiger nine. They each have a three game series the last week of the season. One has a monday through Wednesday series, the other a Tuesday through Thursday, though I'm not sure which has which.