PDA

View Full Version : One more thought on Cubs vs. Sox -

czalgosz
02-22-2002, 12:28 PM
Joe Sheehan of the Baseball Prospectus had this to say in an ESPN chat -

Doug (Chicago): How do you think the White Sox will do this year?

Joe Sheehan: I think they'll win the AL Central. I don't think it's going to be all that close.

Rat: What about the Cubs, Joe? Aren't they a contender for a World Series this year?

Joe Sheehan: I'm wondering what impact the loss of Oscar Acosta will have on the pitching staff, which was the key element in their run last year. The competition is tough, with good Cardinals and Astros teams, and the lineup is relying on some guys who are past their prime in Alou and McGriff. Overall, I see 78-81 wins.

Need I say more?

dougs78
02-22-2002, 03:39 PM
Joe Sheehan: I think they'll win the AL Central. I don't think it's going to be all that close.

and

Overall, I see 78-81 wins. (for the Cubs)

:hawk

"I love it when you analyze...."

Vsahajpal
02-22-2002, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
Joe Sheehan of the Baseball Prospectus had this to say in an ESPN chat -

Need I say more?

Well, Joe Sheehan said it, so it must be true.

SoxRulecubsdrool
02-22-2002, 04:21 PM
:gulp:
To me McGriff looks like a wounded puppy that wants nothing more than to go home. When the cubs got him I was nervous but this guy is losing it quick.
Don't take away the hopes of the blind cub fans. Some bozo on WSCR called up a month or so ago and said the 3-4-5 hitters will hit around 170+ home runs. That they have the ultimate lineup. Looks like he hit the beer garden a little too soon.

What a dork!

Now I am fired up!
Come here cubbie fan!
I'm getting a beer!

cheeses_h_rice
02-22-2002, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by SoxRulecubsdrool
To me McGriff looks like a wounded puppy that wants nothing more than to go home. When the cubs got him I was nervous but this guy is losing it quick.
Don't take away the hopes of the blind cub fans. Some bozo on WSCR called up a month or so ago and said the 3-4-5 hitters will hit around 170+ home runs. That they have the ultimate lineup. Looks like he hit the beer garden a little too soon.

What a dork!

Now I am fired up!
Come here cubbie fan!
I'm getting a beer!

170 home runs? Really?

Hmm...breaking out my calculator here...

170 divided by 3 = 56.66 home runs apiece.

Considering McGriff's career high is 37 and Alou's is 38, I assume this caller thinks Sosa's going to hit about 95 zingers this year, then?!?

Talk about huffing the :bluerock !

SoxRulecubsdrool
02-22-2002, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

170 home runs? Really?

Hmm...breaking out my calculator here...

170 divided by 3 = 56.66 home runs apiece.

Considering McGriff's career high is 37 and Alou's is 38, I assume this caller thinks Sosa's going to hit about 95 zingers this year, then?!?

Talk about huffing the :bluerock !
Believe me, the caller pretty much got laughed off the air. It was a topic of conversation for awhile basically calling the guy an idiot. He was really serious though. He was probably gopped up on gob.

czalgosz
02-22-2002, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal

Well, Joe Sheehan said it, so it must be true.

Well, my point is that Joe Sheehan doesn't give a damn whether the Cubs or Sox have a better record. He's not biased one way or another, the way everyone in Chicago is. And Sheehan is a smart guy who analyzes the game as a whole. That's all.

CubKilla
02-22-2002, 10:12 PM
Obviously Joe Sheehan hasn't been introduced to the :bluerock like nearly, it seems, 2/3rd's of the people of Chicago. And as for the caller predicting 170 HR's for Soso, McWhiff, and A-lube, I'd say he's not only huffing the :bluerock but he's trying to deal it to the Joe Sheehan's as well.

Vsahajpal
02-23-2002, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by czalgosz

Well, my point is that Joe Sheehan doesn't give a damn whether the Cubs or Sox have a better record. He's not biased one way or another, the way everyone in Chicago is. And Sheehan is a smart guy who analyzes the game as a whole. That's all.

Sheehan also said he expects Pujols to hit 27 HR this year. He'll get that in August at the latest.

I'd be interested in finding out what Sheehan predicted for the Chicago Cubs team that picked up Coomer, Stairs, Hundley, Fassero, and Jason Bere last year. I guarantee you it was lower than 78-81.

Nellie_Fox
02-23-2002, 02:45 AM
I'd be interested in finding out what Sheehan predicted for the Chicago Cubs team that picked up Coomer, Stairs, Hundley, Fassero, and Jason Bere last year. I guarantee you it was lower than 78-81.
Careful Vic. This is perilously close to Cubby trolling.

Vsahajpal
02-23-2002, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox

Careful Vic. This is perilously close to Cubby trolling.

I just think Sheehan's out of line, I don't see the Cubs beating the Cards this year, they'll battle it out with Houston for 2nd, but I think they'll surpass 78-81 wins.

czalgosz
02-23-2002, 09:01 AM

I don't think that anyone thought that adding Coomer, Stairs, Hundley, Fassero, and Bere would help the Cubs as much as it did. All those guys (with the exception of Hundley) produced much more than they were expected to - that's not something that you can count on.

Positives for the Cubs - If Mueller's healthy, that's a big plus, and obviously if Alou produces the way he did last year, that'll be a big help.

Negatives for the Cubs - I really really doubt that Tom Gordon will produce like he did last year, and barring him, the Cubs bullpen is very thin. I also doubt that Bere will be as good as he was last year. The thing that killed the Cubs last season is they leaned heavily on their starters, and they were exhausted by August. They still haven't fixed that problem.

DrCrawdad
02-23-2002, 09:29 AM
I keep hearing these Cubbie fans on the Score, talking 'bout how they've got a killer line-up and the pitching is the awesome.

Well Sosa-McGriff-Awho is imposing indeed. But after that it falls off drastically.

The pitching? People talk like Lieber is a lock to win 20 again. He's a good pitcher but he's no lock to win 20. Wood, can he have a complete season? Will Wood be as erratic as last year? And then Cruz. A good prospect. But Cubbie fans talk like Cruz has completely proved himself. Remember Cruz won 3 games last year. In those 3 games IIRC the Cubbies backed him with 26 runs. Cruz hasn't pitched over 6 innings. If people talk about a sophmore slump for Buerhle (which as has been pointed out, last year would have been his sophmore year) what about for Cruz? IIRC Cruz lost his last three starts.

Lieber is coming off a career year (remember how many times we heard Cubbie fans use that term about the Sox of 2000?). Other than Lieber the Cubbie staff is anything but a lock.

Oh, but don't forget that Prior is going to win 20 games too.

oldcomiskey
02-23-2002, 12:35 PM
this is a ballclub that is full of holes
who plays second---isnt EY gone
who plays center--isnt White gone
who catches--isnt Hundley older than Fisk
who plays third
when Alou is hurt who plays left--Roosevelt Brown?? OH PLEASE

Jerry_Manuel
02-23-2002, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by oldcomiskey
this is a ballclub that is full of holes
who plays second---isnt EY gone
who plays center--isnt White gone
who catches--isnt Hundley older than Fisk
who plays third
when Alou is hurt who plays left--Roosevelt Brown?? OH PLEASE

Unless Bobby Hill wins the job it's going to be Delino Deshields at 2nd. Patterson is going to be the starter in center, I think. Hundley is supposed to be the opening day starter. Mueller is at 3rd. I'm guessing Brown would be Alou's backup.

SoxRulecubsdrool
02-23-2002, 09:47 PM
I am not trying to beat a dead horse here on this topic but did anyone catch Tommy Williams this evening on the SCORE. The topic was the cubs chances this year. Again, caller after caller repeatedly went on and on about how great the cubs are. It was absolutely hilarious. While I was listening only a few Redbird fans chimed in to bash them. I never knew that the cubs were the up and coming team for the next decade but according to their fans they are. The old 3-4-5 hitters as best of all time came up again as I talked about earlier. We might as well just forget about everything. The cubs are going to win it all from now on until the second coming. Hell, I never knew deshields was such an all star. The hell with Lofton we should try to trade for deshields.
These guys are wasted.... And I am the one pounding beers.
Drink up boys. It's staying ligther later and baseball is around the corner. :gulp:

oldcomiskey
02-24-2002, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Unless Bobby Hill wins the job it's going to be Delino Deshields at 2nd. Patterson is going to be the starter in center, I think. Hundley is supposed to be the opening day starter. Mueller is at 3rd. I'm guessing Brown would be Alou's backup.

Oh heah skipper---I can tell that lineup is real scary

RedPinStripes
02-24-2002, 11:51 AM
WSCR at night is Sox hate radio. Makes me sick!

:chunks