PDA

View Full Version : Question about Charlotte and Playoffs

MadetoOrta
08-19-2006, 01:49 PM
When are the AAA playoffs? If they take place after the major league rosters can be expanded, I presume Sweeney and Fields will miss the AAA playoffs and add bench strength to the parent club. Am I right or wrong? I'd hate to win the AAA title when a pinch hit from Sweeney could help us win a game with the big club.

CleeFan101
08-19-2006, 02:15 PM
The playoffs are after roster expansion... but the only reason they wouldnt call up Fields/Sweeney is if they didnt want to start their arbitration clock. Id expect to see Tracey/Stewart/Owens for sure not too positive after that.

ChiSoxRowand
08-19-2006, 05:30 PM
I expect to see Tracey, Logan, and Owens on September 1st. Haeger, Fields, and Sweeney might be up after Charlotte's season is done. Fields deserves a call up.

MadetoOrta
08-19-2006, 11:24 PM
I expect to see Tracey, Logan, and Owens on September 1st. Haeger, Fields, and Sweeney might be up after Charlotte's season is done. Fields deserves a call up.

Shouldn't Sweeney be included too? Is it possible these two guys won't be playing major league baseball next season after hitting .300+ and driving in 85+ rbi? The experience of traveling with the team + their pinch hitting abilities would demand their presence as soon as possible.

California Sox
08-20-2006, 08:39 PM
Generally teams let affiliates keep core players for the playoffs. I'd expect Montero or Tracey to come up right away and everyone else would wait until after the playoffs. I wouldn't be surprised if they give Broadway a taste of AAA, particularly if they bring Tracey up. Sweeney's hardly going to play at all if they bring him up, ditto Fields. They can afford to let them play in the playoffs. Btw, I think Fields might be hurt. He left a game early this week and hasn't been seen since.

ChiSoxRowand
08-20-2006, 10:14 PM
Generally teams let affiliates keep core players for the playoffs. I'd expect Montero or Tracey to come up right away and everyone else would wait until after the playoffs. I wouldn't be surprised if they give Broadway a taste of AAA, particularly if they bring Tracey up. Sweeney's hardly going to play at all if they bring him up, ditto Fields. They can afford to let them play in the playoffs. Btw, I think Fields might be hurt. He left a game early this week and hasn't been seen since.

Broadway just got called up to AAA, with Phillips playing for team USA in the olympic qualifying tourney.

California Sox
08-21-2006, 12:43 AM
Broadway just got called up to AAA, with Phillips playing for team USA in the olympic qualifying tourney.

Thanks for the info. Obviously not surprised. At some level of consciousness I think I knew Phillips was pitching for Team USA. Phillips is one of those guys I root for. Not necessarily to play for us, but you get the sense that if he gets a couple of breaks he could have a major league career.

He gone
08-21-2006, 05:42 PM
The playoffs start Sept. 6th. Right now Owens and Fields are hurt, but they are not on the DL.

The Knights can clinich their Division tonight with a win in either game of their Doubleheader or a loss by Durham.