PDA

View Full Version : Another test for OG, how will he respond?

caulfield12
08-19-2006, 07:58 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-ssep19.html

wassagstdu
08-19-2006, 09:58 AM
I am starting to think 2006 is a lot like 2004 and the winter of 2006-2007 will be a lot like the winter 2004-2005.

...by which I mean that this is no longer an OG team and either that will change or OG will be gone.

Lip Man 1
08-19-2006, 02:18 PM
I's be very surprised if Uribe was starting at short next opening day in Oakland.

Lip

gobears1987
08-19-2006, 02:22 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-ssep19.html
THis pretty much proves what I've been saying for a while. Uribe needs to go. I'd rather have Cintron starting.

I don't get all of the Pods hate. At least Pods tries and puts out 100%. Uribe just showboats and tries to hit HRs.

soltrain21
08-19-2006, 02:30 PM
When did Sandy say he was going to punch AJ? After he was traded here?

Nice, Sandy.

batmanZoSo
08-19-2006, 02:32 PM
When did Sandy say he was going to punch AJ? After he was traded here?

Nice, Sandy.

Valuable addition to the clubhouse. True veteran. :rolleyes:

Lip Man 1
08-19-2006, 02:39 PM
It was before the deal.

ESPN.com reported yesterday on this 'story' and quoted one of their editors as saying the reporter told him Sandy said it in a joking manner but they felt (the editors) that it should be printed 'straight' without any reference to laughing, joking ect. The editor said Alomar meant nothing personal by the comment.

Lip

soltrain21
08-19-2006, 02:43 PM
It was before the deal.

ESPN.com reported yesterday on this 'story' and quoted one of their editors as saying the reporter told him Sandy said it in a joking manner but they felt (the editors) that it should be printed 'straight' without any reference to laughing, joking ect. The editor said Alomar meant nothing personal by the comment.

Lip

Ok, good. It just seems weird Sandy would say "ask me in a month." Makes it seem like the deal had already happened.

southside rocks
08-19-2006, 02:57 PM
Alomar made the comment after he came to the White Sox. From the item about this on the WS website:

"The comment was said in jest by Alomar, and Pierzynski said that he even overheard Alomar's statement when he was interviewed for the article in Toronto because their lockers were near each other."

Full article at http://tinyurl.com/m2lzk

Jesting or not, one gets the impression that Alomar's joining the team and the cutting of Widger were not universally popular moves in the clubhouse.

Probably getting Carl Everett back would calm everybody down.

southside rocks
08-19-2006, 02:59 PM
I am starting to think 2006 is a lot like 2004 and the winter of 2006-2007 will be a lot like the winter 2004-2005.

...by which I mean that this is no longer an OG team and either that will change or OG will be gone.
I don't understand your comment. Why do you think that Ozzie might be gone after this season? Because Juan Uribe is a jerk?

thomas35forever
08-19-2006, 03:20 PM
I haven't been too impressed with Uribe lately. He has to take EVERY pop-up doesn't he?

wassagstdu
08-19-2006, 04:24 PM
I don't understand your comment. Why do you think that Ozzie might be gone after this season? Because Juan Uribe is a jerk?

I think that Ozzie wants to do it his way, and if he can't do that here he will go somewhere else. 2004 was not his way; 2005 was. 2006 is more like 2004. KW was willing to trade Carlos Lee for Pods. Will he do that again?

Also, I doubt that Ozzie was thrilled by the lack of support from KW earlier in the season, and by being publicly humiliated and threatened with being fired. He and the team have not been the same since that incident.

soltrain21
08-19-2006, 04:24 PM
I haven't been too impressed with Uribe lately. He has to take EVERY pop-up doesn't he?

Well, he is the shortstop.

Frater Perdurabo
08-19-2006, 04:34 PM
I's be very surprised if Uribe was starting at short next opening day in Oakland.

Lip

Has the 2007 schedule been released? How did you hear the Sox will open 2007 in Oakland? I'm not trying to be a jerk. If you have inside info on next year's schedule, I'd sure like to know if the Sox will be at home between Monday, May 21 and Sunday, May 27, 2007, since in a perfect world I might be interested in spending a few thousand dollars on two separate events (bachelor party and a family reunion) during that time.

Frater Perdurabo
08-19-2006, 04:41 PM
Are there any shortstops out there who could be legitimate leadoff hitters for the Sox next year, who the Sox could sign or acquire via trade?

TheOldRoman
08-19-2006, 04:46 PM
Valuable addition to the clubhouse. True veteran. :rolleyes:
Ah, so it sails above another head.

Sandy was JOKING. If that comment doesn't sound like a blatant joke, I don't know what does. Maybe instead of speaking, he should have writen it in teal.

TheOldRoman
08-19-2006, 04:50 PM
Also, I doubt that Ozzie was thrilled by the lack of support from KW earlier in the season, and by being publicly humiliated and threatened with being fired. He and the team have not been the same since that incident. Sigh. Publicly humiliated? Kenny went on ESPN and paid some lip service. He had to go on TV to say 1) we don't condone his comments 2) if he continues making comments, he will have to leave. There was nothing to look into. Kenny pretty much had to say that about the issue. What else is he going to say?

southside rocks
08-19-2006, 04:51 PM
I think that Ozzie wants to do it his way, and if he can't do that here he will go somewhere else. 2004 was not his way; 2005 was. 2006 is more like 2004. KW was willing to trade Carlos Lee for Pods. Will he do that again?

Also, I doubt that Ozzie was thrilled by the lack of support from KW earlier in the season, and by being publicly humiliated and threatened with being fired. He and the team have not been the same since that incident.

Oh, okay, I see what you mean. About the first part: I'd be surprised if Uribe isn't traded after this season, and I'm sure Ozzie has a lot of say in who goes and who stays.

As for the second, I didn't read it that way at the time -- Ozzie being humiliated and threatened with firing. I read it as KW saying "I would hate to see Ozzie let his mouth get the better of him and cost him his job" -- which is a real possibility in any job, particularly that of a sports coach or manager. But I only know what I read, and that's heavily filtered, since KW and Ozzie don't tell the media much of anything (and who can blame them).

I don't agree, though, that the Sox haven't been the same since that incident. I think they were fine through that; I think they collapsed at the ASB and haven't revived, really, since.

Ziggy S
08-19-2006, 04:52 PM
I know KW has had a fondness for Omar Vizquel's play for a few years. If his age is not considered a huge risk, I'd say do it, but our track record with former Cleveland players over the last ten years is not the greatest (Albert Belle and Sandy Alomar come to mind). Heck, even if we keep Pods (very unlikely) that gives the team more speed and versatility in the lineup and obviously improves fielding up the middle. However, if Uribe could remove his head from his posterior any time soon and return to his fielding form of last year, that deal might not be necessary.

caulfield12
08-19-2006, 04:55 PM
Don't forget Roberto Remember the Alomar

At least we got Owens for Escobar. Alan Embree also comes to mind, disaster there, but decent for SD and Boston afterwards.

DickAllen72
08-19-2006, 05:51 PM
''They're man enough to handle it themselves. If something gets out of hand or I feel it will be a problem, believe me I will step in. But I wasn't worried. Trust me, A.J. doesn't want to get his ass kicked by Sandy.''

What's Ozzie's problem anyway? After Barrett sucker punched A.J. he defended Barrett and said what Barrett did was "good" because he didn't like what A.J. did so he did something about it. Never mind that A.J. did nothing wrong and Barrett did nothing right.

When A.J. got drilled twice by Padilla and wisely did not charge the mound, Ozzie comments that if it happened to him he would fight and then makes comments about how A.J. should "do something about it". Vazquez does not even throw a pitch inside after that and Ozzie says nothing about it, then goes off when Tracey misses a batter while throwing at him twice.

Now, Alomar and A.J. have a misunderstanding and Ozzie has to slap A.J. in the face with this comment. Ozzie sure seems to have something against A.J. and plays favorites.

BTW, the Alomar acquisition was a waste.

caulfield12
08-19-2006, 05:56 PM
He's had a big SAC fly to win last Saturday's game against DET, a couple of other hits and he's brought Buehrle back close to form. I wouldn't call that a waste by any stretch of the imagination.

DickAllen72
08-19-2006, 05:57 PM
Sandy was JOKING. If that comment doesn't sound like a blatant joke, I don't know what does. Maybe instead of speaking, he should have writen it in teal.

Yes, Sandy was joking but SO WAS A.J. Sandy could make a joke but he couldn't take one in return, thus the misunderstanding.

I also read (I believe in this morning's SouthTown) that Alomar disliked A.J. when A.J. was in Minnesota and Alomar was with Cleveland. Maybe there's a little history behind these "jokes."

Acquiring Alomar seems to be the biggest joke so far. He'd make a good coach but his playing days should have been over when the Sox got rid of him last time. The Sox don't need him getting involved in clubhouse controversies now.

DickAllen72
08-19-2006, 05:59 PM
He's had a big SAC fly to win last Saturday's game against DET, a couple of other hits and he's brought Buehrle back close to form. I wouldn't call that a waste by any stretch of the imagination.

SAC fly.... Whoop de do.

BTW, A.J. caught Buerhle and the rest of the staff to a World Series Championship.

digdagdug23
08-19-2006, 06:00 PM
Ah, so it sails above another head.

Maybe we need to institute a new vocal tone that is inferred as teal? Can we get a patent on teal?

I am not so sure I wanted this tealed, maybe a half-shade?

caulfield12
08-19-2006, 06:01 PM
It doesn't matter to me WHAT the cause or our perception is, but Buehrle is pitching better. Maybe it would have happened with AJ or Widger naturally, I have no idea but am glad we didn't have to find out.

Lip Man 1
08-19-2006, 10:25 PM
Frater:

Teams preliminary schedules have been released, Oakland has them opening at home versus the Sox on opening day.

Lip

gobears1987
08-19-2006, 10:35 PM
Are there any shortstops out there who could be legitimate leadoff hitters for the Sox next year, who the Sox could sign or acquire via trade?I don't know about leadoff hitters, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a Garcia and Uribe for Tejada deal in the winter.

Should that be deep pinked?

Tragg
08-19-2006, 10:43 PM
There is one big differnce between this edition and the 2004 edition. The 2006 White Sox are a hell of a lot better and are legitimate contenders to win the WS.
The 2004 White Sox were not.

Tragg
08-19-2006, 10:57 PM
Teams preliminary schedules have been released, Oakland has them opening at home versus the Sox on opening day.

Any idea where we close? Unless hell froze over, it isn't in Chicago.

billyvsox
08-19-2006, 11:35 PM
This is crazy.

Someone needs to come to AJ's defense...so I will. First of all Sandy Alomar is a punk who cant play anymore and only has a job because KW loves him for some reason. He dosen't even catch a good game (he always sets up off the corners and encourages pitchers to Nibble). As for him bringing Bueherle back to life, please....Mark still hasn't pitched like he is capable and it is clearly a confidence issue...not who's catching him.

Meanwhile AJ nows gets Nationally dissed because he is the guy that was traded for Liriano, Nathan, and Boof. BFD, last time I checked AJ has 1 more ring then the 3 of them combined. Nathan was horrible in San Fran, Liriano was a questionable prospect, and Boof has does nothing.

I think Ozzie always rips AJ because he knows he can take it, whatever...

As for Uribe, how soon have we forgotten the TWO great plays he made to cap the World Series Game 4. When he is right, there is no other shortstop I would want on defense.

esbrechtel
08-19-2006, 11:44 PM
As for Uribe, how soon have we forgotten the TWO great plays he made to cap the World Series Game 4. When he is right, there is no other shortstop I would want on defense.

just to play devil's advocate on this point just because of those two plays does not solidify he place on the ball club in the future....i seem to remember geoff blum hitting a clutch homerun to help us win the series he also had a clutch slide (who remembers that?) into third to help us win a key game durring the regular season...how about willie harris? how about timo? crazy carl? all key players in helping with the championship all players who no longer wear the good guys uniforms

i do agree with the AJ comments though....

SOXfnNlansing
08-19-2006, 11:53 PM
I think everything will be fine. Atleast the Sox have a team that airs things out in real time instead of letting things fester. Uribe is a big time player. All we have to do is remember last season's World Series. The team is just trying to get out of it's funk right now.

I'd rather have Uribe in there when the game is on the line. This is only my opinion based on my experience following the team.

Kogs35
08-20-2006, 12:42 AM
Frater:

Lip

IIRC thats oakland home opener not opening day for the season

08-20-2006, 12:58 AM
but our track record with former Cleveland players over the last ten years is not the greatest (Albert Belle and Sandy Alomar come to mind).
:thome: "I disagree"

southside rocks
08-20-2006, 07:57 AM
First of all Sandy Alomar is a punk who cant play anymore and only has a job because KW loves him for some reason. He dosen't even catch a good game (he always sets up off the corners and encourages pitchers to Nibble). As for him bringing Bueherle back to life, please....Mark still hasn't pitched like he is capable and it is clearly a confidence issue...not who's catching him.

I agree with you, FWIW. I am no fan of the Alomar acquisition. I have heard, from someone who works at the Cell, that many people in the organization are good friends with Sandy Alomar Jr., not just KW. Even so, I do not think that the Widger thing was handled well, at least from what we fans read and saw. And I would not be surprised to learn that there is friction because of Alomar.

Maybe in November I will look back and say it was all good. I hope so.

And agree that Buehrle has not returned to his old, confidence-inspiring form of early this year. I hope he does; I hope that we can again feel as sure with him on the mound as we do with Contreras and even now with Garland. But I don't see Alomar being the magic ingredient there.

caulfield12
08-20-2006, 08:00 AM
I don't think anything will ever be worse than when they left Mark Johnson off the 2000 playoff roster for Josh Paul, unless you include the whole Carlton Fisk debacle. If you think the Alomar/Widger thing is bad, that was 10 times more divisive.

We don't have a great record with our catchers, do we?

PeteWard
08-20-2006, 08:07 AM

Pure unadulterated horse****.

PeteWard
08-20-2006, 08:10 AM
This is crazy.

Someone needs to come to AJ's defense...so I will. First of all Sandy Alomar is a punk who cant play anymore and only has a job because KW loves him for some reason. He dosen't even catch a good game (he always sets up off the corners and encourages pitchers to Nibble). As for him bringing Bueherle back to life, please....Mark still hasn't pitched like he is capable and it is clearly a confidence issue...not who's catching him.

Meanwhile AJ nows gets Nationally dissed because he is the guy that was traded for Liriano, Nathan, and Boof. BFD, last time I checked AJ has 1 more ring then the 3 of them combined. Nathan was horrible in San Fran, Liriano was a questionable prospect, and Boof has does nothing.

I think Ozzie always rips AJ because he knows he can take it, whatever...

This thing was cleared up already. Alomar was joking, the jerks at ESPN printed it straight. There was a muddle, Alomar cleared it up with AJ. End of story.

PeteWard
08-20-2006, 08:11 AM
Oh, okay, I see what you mean. About the first part: I'd be surprised if Uribe isn't traded after this season, and I'm sure Ozzie has a lot of say in who goes and who stays.

As for the second, I didn't read it that way at the time -- Ozzie being humiliated and threatened with firing. I read it as KW saying "I would hate to see Ozzie let his mouth get the better of him and cost him his job" -- which is a real possibility in any job, particularly that of a sports coach or manager. But I only know what I read, and that's heavily filtered, since KW and Ozzie don't tell the media much of anything (and who can blame them).

I don't agree, though, that the Sox haven't been the same since that incident. I think they were fine through that; I think they collapsed at the ASB and haven't revived, really, since.

No they are still collapsing winning 7 of their last 10. :rolleyes:

southside rocks
08-20-2006, 08:19 AM
No they are still collapsing winning 7 of their last 10. :rolleyes:
Yes, I'd like to see them pull out of that slump!

Actually, I do think that they will go on a tear, similar to what the Dodgers have done the last month. The team members themselves have said that their best baseball is ahead of them. I would love to see a White Sox hot streak that would leave the Twinkies in the dust and give the Tigers a view of the Sox from behind.

The Immigrant
08-20-2006, 10:18 AM
Are there any shortstops out there who could be legitimate leadoff hitters for the Sox next year, who the Sox could sign or acquire via trade?

Garcia and Uribe for Jimmy Rollins and Aaron Rowand

:duck:

mrwag
08-21-2006, 10:42 AM
Yes, I'd like to see them pull out of that slump!

Actually, I do think that they will go on a tear, similar to what the Dodgers have done the last month. The team members themselves have said that their best baseball is ahead of them. I would love to see a White Sox hot streak that would leave the Twinkies in the dust and give the Tigers a view of the Sox from behind.
So what are they waiting for? Why save it?

ShoelessJoeS
08-21-2006, 11:49 AM
I don't know about leadoff hitters, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a Garcia and Uribe for Tejada deal in the winter.

Should that be deep pinked?I don't know if there's a pink deep enough for this thinking, but if anyone can pull off such a trade, it's Kenny.

wdelaney72
08-21-2006, 01:42 PM
I don't think anything will ever be worse than when they left Mark Johnson off the 2000 playoff roster for Josh Paul

Mark Johnson and his .225 batting average? Are you kidding me?

TomBradley72
08-21-2006, 02:04 PM
Mark Johnson and his .225 batting average? Are you kidding me?

It WAS a horrible move regarding team chemistry...Johnson had made some nice contributions throughout the year....but here comes Schueler reaching down from the GM office and pulling Johnson at the last minute.

caulfield12
08-21-2006, 02:26 PM
It WAS a horrible move regarding team chemistry...Johnson had made some nice contributions throughout the year....but here comes Schueler reaching down from the GM office and pulling Johnson at the last minute.

Johnson was a really tough kid and came from a very unique background with his family situation. He was universally admired in the clubhouse and around the league as a competitor and strong defender/game-caller.

It's probably not unlike the problem the Red Sox are going through with Javier Lopez instead of Varitek right now. Or the same thing, when we had Olivo around, there were 2-3 starters who absolutely refused to pitch to him.

BadBobbyJenks
08-21-2006, 03:11 PM
What's Ozzie's problem anyway? After Barrett sucker punched A.J. he defended Barrett and said what Barrett did was "good" because he didn't like what A.J. did so he did something about it. Never mind that A.J. did nothing wrong and Barrett did nothing right.

When A.J. got drilled twice by Padilla and wisely did not charge the mound, Ozzie comments that if it happened to him he would fight and then makes comments about how A.J. should "do something about it". Vazquez does not even throw a pitch inside after that and Ozzie says nothing about it, then goes off when Tracey misses a batter while throwing at him twice.

Now, Alomar and A.J. have a misunderstanding and Ozzie has to slap A.J. in the face with this comment. Ozzie sure seems to have something against A.J. and plays favorites.

BTW, the Alomar acquisition was a waste.

wow do you really believe that???????

you dont think possibly the joking he always says about AJ are a good thing. I always see his comments about AJ, like many people show affection about people by making fun of them if that makes any sense.

But Ill take a quote from Ozzie in a pretty good article out of this week's espn magazine. "Everyday we are on him, its a lot of work" Guillen waits a second laughs and adds, " Ajs been great for me. Hes worth the work because he always shows up for you."
That should tell you everything right there...

But yeah Ozzie definately plays favorites and has a real problem with AJ, its disgusting:rolleyes:

come on

BadBobbyJenks
08-21-2006, 03:16 PM
My god how has all this anti sandy stuff snowballed....

HE WAS FREAKING JOKING....in a positive article about AJ.

Not everything has to be negative, pick up the issue of espn and read the whole damn thing before you all take an opinion on something.

Even when something is clearly positive some people have to find something turn it around and make it negative about our sox, I just dont get it

southside rocks
08-21-2006, 03:30 PM
My god how has all this anti sandy stuff snowballed....

HE WAS FREAKING JOKING....in a positive article about AJ.

But see, it wasn't particularly funny. That's why the "joke" aspect of it gets lost.

If Sandy and AJ were good friends, as, say, AJ and Crede are, or as AJ and Rowand were, then that comment WOULD be funny. But Alomar and AJ aren't friends.

Add to that the fact that Alomar arrives and is said to be there to "fix" Mark Buehrle -- pro athletes have egos the size of Montana; is AJ not going to take that the wrong way? Of course he is. There's some tension right off, most likely.

I think that it was a dumb comment by Alomar. And yeah, it's being taken out of context now, probably, because things are tense and the players are tightening up a bit.

Lip Man 1
08-21-2006, 04:00 PM
The Mark Johnson move DID cause an affect on the team. I've spoken with some of the guys off the 2000 club as well as some of the media who covered them and they all mentioned the move as having a negative impact on the mindset of the club right before the most important series of the year.

When you get to the post season you don't want to do the slightest thing to upset the delicate balance and this move did.

Another one that was mentioned although not to the same degree was putting Chad Bradford on the roster.

Lip

caulfield12
08-21-2006, 04:37 PM
And why was Bradford mysteriously brought in to face Cameron in one of the most important innings of the year?

Iguana775
08-21-2006, 05:13 PM
''They're man enough to handle it themselves. If something gets out of hand or I feel it will be a problem, believe me I will step in. But I wasn't worried. Trust me, A.J. doesn't want to get his ass kicked by Sandy.''

LOL.

Ol' No. 2
08-21-2006, 05:19 PM
Over 50 posts on more of Tail-gunner Joe's unadulterated bull****. Have people not learned by now?