PDA

View Full Version : AM 670 has a tower of POWER!!!!

Timmy D's
08-18-2006, 09:03 PM
I had to go to Cinci on business Thursday, and forgot my XM unit at home.:angry: So as I started on down I65 as the game started I was sure it was just a matter of time till I was gameless. I was thrilled and shocked to get the game,a little staticcy at the end but very listenable, all the way till it was a White Sox winner as I enetered Northen Cinci. I never knew signals could make it that far! Or maybe the Sox gods were just lookin down on me.:wink: Anyways sure saved my mood that night and this morning for my meeting. Sure glad to be back home now in time for tonigts game on the U.:gulp:

TornLabrum
08-18-2006, 09:04 PM
I had to go to Cinci on business Thursday, and forgot my XM unit at home.:angry: So as I startedon I65 as the game started I was sure it was just a matter of time till I was gameless. I was thrilled and shocked to get the game,a little staticcy at the end but very listenable, all the way till it was a White Sox winner as I enetered Northen Cinci. I never knew signals could make it that far! Or maybe the Sox gods were just lookin down on me.:wink: Anyways sure saved my mood that night and this morning for my meeting. Sure glad to be back home now in time for tonigts game on the U.:gulp:

That's called a 50,000 watt clear channel signal (well almost clear).

nug0hs
08-18-2006, 09:46 PM
I get the signal pretty darn well in Kalamazoo, MI. Not as good on cloudy or hazy nights though.

Timmy D's
08-18-2006, 09:56 PM
I never knew signals went that far. I guess I just assumed they didnt, cause I remember the games on AM 1000 I could hardly p/u jsut accross the WI border, so I just wouldnt try any more, and bought XM when it 1st became available. 670 must have more juice than 1000 or somethin', dunno.
All these tubes and wires, Have a look!!:o:

TornLabrum
08-18-2006, 10:09 PM
670 is an old clear channel station that transmits in all directions. 1000 was directional, sending its signal south and east, iirc, to avoid interfering with a Seattle (iirc) station.

When I was a kid I was into broadcast DXing (trying to get stations from a distance. On a good night I would get on my old Sears Silvertone radio (complete with vacuum tubes) stations in Richmond, VA; Rochester, NY; Salt Lake City, UT; Pittsburgh, PA; Philadelphia, PA; Denver, CO; New Orleans, LA; etc.

Last night I was fiddling around driving from Geneva on route 59 and did pick up WFAN in NYC on my car radio. It's the first time I've picked up 660 here in northeastern Illinois in 40 years of trying.

DSpivack
08-18-2006, 10:10 PM
I never knew signals went that far. I guess I just assumed they didnt, cause I remember the games on AM 1000 I could hardly p/u jsut accross the WI border, so I just wouldnt try any more, and bought XM when it 1st became available. 670 must have more juice than 1000 or somethin', dunno.
Cincy is just 300 miles away, and while I don't know about WSCR, WGN is so powerful (most powerful signal in the country) that there is only one other 720 in the country, which is in Las Vegas and has a directional signal only to the west. Also, signals are clearer and travel further at night, which I assume you were traveling in (I assume a night game).

Timmy D's
08-18-2006, 10:19 PM
Cincy is just 300 miles away, and while I don't know about WSCR, WGN is so powerful (most powerful signal in the country) that there is only one other 720 in the country, which is in Las Vegas and has a directional signal only to the west. Also, signals are clearer and travel further at night, which I assume you were traveling in (I assume a night game).

No it was the day game yesterday. Was nice and clear out, I think someone mentioned that helps. Really interesting stuff guys, I appreciate the info! Ya learn somethin new every day. The more ya know!!:cool:

BadBobbyJenks
08-18-2006, 11:08 PM
yep its awesome I can hear it all the way down in Columbia missouri

whitesoxwilkes
08-18-2006, 11:15 PM
670 is an old clear channel station that transmits in all directions. 1000 was directional, sending its signal south and east, iirc, to avoid interfering with a Seattle (iirc) station.

When I was a kid I was into broadcast DXing (trying to get stations from a distance. On a good night I would get on my old Sears Silvertone radio (complete with vacuum tubes) stations in Richmond, VA; Rochester, NY; Salt Lake City, UT; Pittsburgh, PA; Philadelphia, PA; Denver, CO; New Orleans, LA; etc.

Was the Rochester station WHAM 1180? Their signal is a freakin blowtorch.

Viva Medias B's
08-18-2006, 11:23 PM
WGN is so powerful (most powerful signal in the country) that there is only one other 720 in the country...

Actually, isn't Denver's KOA's 55,000 watts the most powerful signal in the country?

TornLabrum
08-18-2006, 11:43 PM
Was the Rochester station WHAM 1180? Their signal is a freakin blowtorch.

Yup. Back then it was a jazz station. I use to listen to a guy named Bill Artis (Artis Against the Night).

TornLabrum
08-18-2006, 11:43 PM
Actually, isn't Denver's KOA's 55,000 watts the most powerful signal in the country?

AFAIK, no U.S. station is allowed a power > 50,000 watts.

jacobwalls
08-18-2006, 11:46 PM
when i went to the dells i listened to the games on 670.

Nellie_Fox
08-19-2006, 01:08 AM
After I left the Metrodome tonight, I took the light rail back to the "Park and Ride" (really a good deal; parking is free, and the light rail is a 6 hour "special events" pass for $3.50 so it's good for the round trip) and immediately punched up 670 to listen to the post-game show for most of the trip back to Mankato.

SkeetSkeetAmit
08-19-2006, 01:19 AM
What's crazy is I got the Twins broadcast here in Des Plaines. I was tuning thd dial and went to like 800 or 840 or something, and there it was, their radio broadcast.

I go to the University of Iowa and have a girlfriend that goes to U of Minnesota. On the 300 mile road trip in between, I get the 670 broadcast. In Iowa, going up north pretty clear, but once in Minnesota, there's static, but still bareable to hear our Chicago guys.

DrCrawdad
08-19-2006, 07:21 AM
When the Sox were playing the Yankees on the final game (Thursday night) of the last series, I was driving to NYC from Chicago. I heard the whole game, even as I was driving thru eastern Pennsylvania's mountains on I80.

I tried to find a Yankee radio broadcast but was never able to stumble on it. I was so glad the Sox were on clear channel 670.

http://img.viacomlocalnetworks.com/images_sizedimage_073000023/lg
"670AM is a clear channel blow-torch."

depy48
08-19-2006, 08:38 AM
I had to go to Cinci on business Thursday, and forgot my XM unit at home.:angry: So as I started on down I65 as the game started I was sure it was just a matter of time till I was gameless. I was thrilled and shocked to get the game,a little staticcy at the end but very listenable, all the way till it was a White Sox winner as I enetered Northen Cinci. I never knew signals could make it that far! Or maybe the Sox gods were just lookin down on me.:wink: Anyways sure saved my mood that night and this morning for my meeting. Sure glad to be back home now in time for tonigts game on the U.:gulp:

I've gone to school here in Dayton for three years now, and at night I can pick up the Score, during the day I can not. So night games I'm in luck.

jdm2662
08-19-2006, 08:44 AM
I got 670 and 780 ok down in St. Louis two weeks ago at night. 1100 for Indians games comes in pretty good at night. 620 from Milwaukee comes in good both day and night. That is also the Packers broadcast station. 1000 I have trouble getting a clear signal past Lombard at night... Fenway posted a pretty good site where it told you the signal strength of any radio station.

Paulwny
08-19-2006, 09:08 AM
Too much interference and fading on 670.:whiner:
I hope the sox get back to am1000 next year, at times in the evening it's like listening to a local Buffalo station.
On another note, one evening while driving on a bridge on Friday in Erie County NY, I picked-up a game between the Angels and Rangers. I lost the signal going down the bridge, not sure if the station was from Texas or CA.

tebman
08-19-2006, 09:15 AM

Last night I was fiddling around driving from Geneva on route 59 and did pick up WFAN in NYC on my car radio. It's the first time I've picked up 660 here in northeastern Illinois in 40 years of trying.
Ah, the romance of nighttime AM radio DXing! The coolness factor is still there for guys like TL and me who would scan the AM band at night to hear out-of-town stations. It still works, but sadly too many people have been distracted by other gee-whiz technologies to appreciate the elegant and easy-to-understand technology of AM radio propagaton.

There's a handy list at this site (http://www.ac6v.com/clearam.htm#USA) that summarizes what stations are licensed for 50,000 watts, which is the legal maximum. In general, the stations at lower frequencies (650 WSM Nashville, 660 WFAN New York, 670 WSCR Chicago, etc.) carry better than stations at higher frequencies (1100 WTAM Cleveland, 1120 KMOX St. Louis, etc.). Also, the stations that are on the traditional "clear channels" have less interference on their frequency, which makes it easier to hear them at great distances. The list at the web site briefly explains that.

This is why it's a shame that the Cardinals are no longer on KMOX and the Twins won't be on WCCO after this year. Both of those stations are old 50kW battleships that allowed fans to do like Timmy D's did: drive for hundreds of miles and still hear the game.

If you're in your car on a Saturday night, tune to 650 AM. The Grand Ole Opry is still broadcast live from WSM in Nashville, and, weather permitting, can still be heard across the eastern half of North America. Or tune to 1100 to catch an Indians game on WTAM, or to 700 to catch a Reds game on WLW, or 850 to catch a Rockies game on KOA. Enjoy AM radio, because we'll miss it when it's gone.

jdieter
08-19-2006, 09:16 AM
I'm at Purdue, West Lafayette, IN and get 670 great during the daylight. But when they reduce their signal strength in the evening 2 hours after sunset I get a central american station fading in & out overpowering 670. So I get about 2 minutes of the game and then the chorus of Guantanamero.... really frustrating. Back in the day when the Sox where on WMAQ 670 Mary Francis Veck theorized the mexican station was purposely overpowering the station, she had some lame reason I don't remember, probably some retaliation against Harry & Jimmy.

digdagdug23
08-19-2006, 09:22 AM

I live in Dubuque, Iowa, which is a realistic 4 hours out of Chicago. From my house, I get 670 in my van and on one of the radios in the house. Now the cheap little radios with no antennae I don't, but otherwise, it is crystal clear.

tebman
08-19-2006, 09:23 AM
I'm at Purdue, West Lafayette, IN and get 670 great during the daylight. But when they reduce their signal strength in the evening 2 hours after sunset I get a central american station fading in & out overpowering 670. So I get about 2 minutes of the game and then the chorus of Guantanamero.... really frustrating. Back in the day when the Sox where on WMAQ 670 Mary Francis Veck theorized the mexican station was purposely overpowering the station, she had some lame reason I don't remember, probably some retaliation against Harry & Jimmy.
WSCR (the former WMAQ) doesn't power down at night. 670 has sometimes been the victim of jamming by stations in Cuba, which might be what you're hearing. Or it could be an American station on 670 that is supposed to go off the air at sunset and "forgets" to. Sloppy engineering at small stations is a real headache for big stations -- even if the smaller station is four states away and operates at a lower power, its signal can arbitrarily bounce through the sky at night and cause interference like what you heard.

The FCC is usually asleep at the wheel and doesn't do much about interference problems. That's one of the reasons the AM Broadcast Service is dying a slow death.

TornLabrum
08-19-2006, 09:51 AM

Some governments (Cuba, Mexico, etc.) allow a maximum power of 100 kW. That's probably what was happening there. How much interference you get depends on atmospheric conditions.

robiwho
08-19-2006, 10:00 AM
When cheeses_h_rice, ChiSoxGirl, SexandtheCityTee and I were driving to Detroit last month, we got a better signal from 670 than we did from the Tiger's station -- even when we were in Detroit!

my5thbench
08-19-2006, 10:01 AM
I moved back from Southern California in 1981, while driving a Hertz rental truck I picked up am 670 in eastern California in the dessert, it was really quite clear at night they did a bunch of trucker talk about road conditions & so forth all over the 48 states

nasox
08-19-2006, 02:01 PM
I used to get 1000 in New Hampshire last year at night. I can't get 670 in Boston, but you can get it in Missouri. 1000 was nonexistent in west of Rockford last year.

Fenway
08-19-2006, 02:04 PM
This was brought up a couple of weeks ago. The problem with 670 is when you get within 400 miles of New York City WFAN is going to clobber the signal. In New England with WRKO on 680 there is no chance at all.

The Dude
08-19-2006, 02:24 PM
That's called a 50,000 watt clear channel signal (well almost clear).

I have trouble getting the signal when I'm a few blocks from the park, but have no trouble when driving in Wisconsin. I'd like to know the deal with that.:dunno:

ChiSoxFan7
08-19-2006, 05:00 PM
madison wisconsin get's it clear with a newer radio signal.

SOXintheBURGH
08-19-2006, 05:16 PM
I can hear 670 on the other side of Pittsburgh on clear nights, its amazing.

Nellie_Fox
08-20-2006, 01:20 AM
Some governments (Cuba, Mexico, etc.) allow a maximum power of 100 kW. That's probably what was happening there. How much interference you get depends on atmospheric conditions.I don't know how much they allow now, but back in the Wolfman Jack heyday, he operated from Mexican radio stations (XERF and XERB) that pumped out 250,000 watts. He could be heard practically anywhere, certainly all over the western US.

IA_soxfan
08-20-2006, 01:30 AM
I can't get it up here in Wausau, WI, but all of this talk is making me want to try and pick it up when I move back to Madison in a couple of weeks.

Nellie_Fox
08-20-2006, 01:32 AM
I can't get it up here in Wausau, WI, but all of this talk is making me want to try and pick it up when I move back to Madison in a couple of weeks.Just understand, this is only after dark. It doesn't work in the day time. I could go into an explanation of the ionosphere, E layers, F layers, etc., but it would bore the crap out of most of the posters, and those whom it wouldn't bore already know about it. :D:

DaleJRFan
08-20-2006, 03:38 AM
When I lived in Dallas, we used to pick up almost all of the major Chicago AM stations. After dark, around 10pm for whatever reason, we could pick up the major stations. 720 and 890 came in the best.

MDF3530
08-20-2006, 04:39 PM
I had to go to Cinci on business Thursday, and forgot my XM unit at home.:angry: So as I started on down I65 as the game started I was sure it was just a matter of time till I was gameless. I was thrilled and shocked to get the game,a little staticcy at the end but very listenable, all the way till it was a White Sox winner as I enetered Northen Cinci. I never knew signals could make it that far! Or maybe the Sox gods were just lookin down on me.:wink: Anyways sure saved my mood that night and this morning for my meeting. Sure glad to be back home now in time for tonigts game on the U.:gulp:The Score is a 50,000 blowtorch. At night, it can reach 38 states and Canada.

buehrle4cy05
08-20-2006, 04:42 PM
Last year I was in Philly on a park tour and was able to get a weak signal from AM 1000. It sounded like crap but I could make out what was happening. During the night, when it's clear, you can hear radio stations for miles.

MDF3530
08-20-2006, 04:43 PM
Two other good stations to get (for us Iowa Hawkeye faithful anyway) are WMT-AM (600) out of Cedar Rapids (better during the day) and WHO-AM (1040) out of Des Moines (better at night).

PKalltheway
08-20-2006, 05:25 PM
Wow, I've never been able to catch 670 here, even at night! Back when the Sox were on 1000 though, there were occasions when I could catch part of a night game clearly here in Cincinnati. As for WGN, I have never been able to recieve a signal from them, mostly due to 700 WLW's monster signal. There was one occasion when I was in Chicago last year, and I got 700 WLW clearly in Chicago at night, even with WGN not too far down the dial!:o:

TornLabrum
08-20-2006, 05:58 PM
Wow, I've never been able to catch 670 here, even at night! Back when the Sox were on 1000 though, there were occasions when I could catch part of a night game clearly here in Cincinnati. As for WGN, I have never been able to recieve a signal from them, mostly due to 700 WLW's monster signal. There was one occasion when I was in Chicago last year, and I got 700 WLW clearly in Chicago at night, even with WGN not too far down the dial!:o:

Yup. That's very true about WLW. I can pick it up most nights, unless there's really stormy weather.

Jurr
08-20-2006, 09:19 PM
What's weird is that on a clear night, I can get a static version of ESPN 1000, but never have I gotten a score broadcast. In MEMPHIS! In Nashville, fughettaboutit. I could hear 1000 clear as a bell. Up there, still no 670! I though 670 > 1000 in terms of signal strength?

MrRoboto83
08-20-2006, 09:29 PM
http://www.radio-locator.com/pats/WSCR_AM_LU.gif

http://www.radio-locator.com/pats/WMVP_AM_LN.gif

you can find all kinds of information on radio strenth and tower locations here: http://www.radio-locator.com/

PKalltheway
08-20-2006, 09:46 PM
Success!! I can barely get 670 lol!

Timmy D's
08-20-2006, 10:14 PM
Success!! I can barely get 670 lol!

Looking at that map Mr Roboto posted, the blue line kinda cuts Cinci in half. I was in the Northern burbs(Mason area), Are you in Southern Cinci area? Just curious if that might have somnethin to do w/ it, as it seems that is on the fringe of coverage.

tebman
08-20-2006, 11:12 PM
WLW calls itself "The Nation's Station" because of its big-signal reputation. Between 1934 and 1939, WLW operated under an experimental license with 500,000 watts. No typo there, that's a half-million watts.

WLW was owned then by the Crosley Radio company, which was in the business of selling cheap radios. It was part science and part marketing -- if Crosley's station had a bigger signal, it would be more easily received by Crosley's cheaper radios and carry further than their competitor's stations too. Other 50,000-watt stations petitioned the FCC for higher power: "Hey, if WLW can do a half-million watts, so can we!" The FCC made WLW give up its high-power license in 1939. For most of the years since, WLW has been pitching itself as the station with the big signal, even though they've been the same as all the other 50,000W stations.

There are a couple of cool websites here (http://hawkins.pair.com/wlw.shtml#nationstationsect) and here (http://www.ominous-valve.com/wlw.html) that give information about WLW's 500,000W years. The gonzo transmitter is still there, but it's fallen into disrepair after not being used for decades. Even if they tried to fire it back up, they couldn't get any parts for it -- you can't go to Radio Shack and buy 100,000-watt tubes. :D:

I know, I need a life. But I'm a sucker for AM radio.

MrRoboto83
08-20-2006, 11:39 PM
WLW calls itself "The Nation's Station" because of its big-signal reputation. Between 1934 and 1939, WLW operated under an experimental license with 500,000 watts. No typo there, that's a half-million watts.

WLW was owned then by the Crosley Radio company, which was in the business of selling cheap radios. It was part science and part marketing -- if Crosley's station had a bigger signal, it would be more easily received by Crosley's cheaper radios and carry further than their competitor's stations too. Other 50,000-watt stations petitioned the FCC for higher power: "Hey, if WLW can do a half-million watts, so can we!" The FCC made WLW give up its high-power license in 1939. For most of the years since, WLW has been pitching itself as the station with the big signal, even though they've been the same as all the other 50,000W stations.

There are a couple of cool websites here (http://hawkins.pair.com/wlw.shtml#nationstationsect) and here (http://www.ominous-valve.com/wlw.html) that give information about WLW's 500,000W years. The gonzo transmitter is still there, but it's fallen into disrepair after not being used for decades. Even if they tried to fire it back up, they couldn't get any parts for it -- you can't go to Radio Shack and buy 100,000-watt tubes. :D:

I know, I need a life. But I'm a sucker for AM radio.

Wow that is wild, imagine hearing the Sox game on the radio in London. Thanks for the info Tebman!!

PKalltheway
08-21-2006, 02:48 PM
Looking at that map Mr Roboto posted, the blue line kinda cuts Cinci in half. I was in the Northern burbs(Mason area), Are you in Southern Cinci area? Just curious if that might have somnethin to do w/ it, as it seems that is on the fringe of coverage.
I live in Clermont County, not too far from the Hamilton County border. I have a Cincinnati address, but the area I live in is generally called Eastgate. Yeah, I'm pretty much at the fringe of coverage. I think most of Cincinnati, especially the Northern suburbs (Mason, Sharonville, Forest Park, Fairfield, Colerain, etc.) can get 670 at night much easier than the areas near where I live, which is east of Cincinnati (Milford, Anderson, Eastgate).

Fake Chet Lemon
08-21-2006, 04:07 PM
When I lived in Dallas, we used to pick up almost all of the major Chicago AM stations. After dark, around 10pm for whatever reason, we could pick up the major stations. 720 and 890 came in the best.

If I recall correctly, The Score used to be AM820. They'd go off the air around 5:30pm and I'd get a sports station from Dallas on that signal fairly well on a lot of nights.

chisoxfanatic
08-21-2006, 04:26 PM
http://www.radio-locator.com/pats/WSCR_AM_LU.gif

If that's the coverage map for WSCR, then why do they boast being able to "reach 38 states?" :?:

Deebs14
08-21-2006, 04:50 PM
I was able to pick up bits and pieces of the game on Friday night around these parts when I was moving back to town. But it has to be a pretty clear night for me to get a decent signal..same way with how 1000 was for the last few years as well.

tebman
08-21-2006, 05:56 PM
If that's the coverage map for WSCR, then why do they boast being able to "reach 38 states?" :?:
That map is a calculated guess of range for specific levels of signal, just like the lines drawn on the side of a measuring cup. As the signal spreads out it gets weaker, and the map only considers the part of the signal that's traveling along the ground. It tapers off pretty much the way the map shows. The map is based on the electrical properties of the soil in those areas too, which is why it has an irregular shape.

But even beyond the "fringe" area of the map, the signal doesn't go away. It just gets still weaker. Most radios are sensitive enough to pick up a usable signal that's weaker than the "fringe" level shown on the map. Also there's the "skywave" part of the signal that bounces off the ionosphere at night in unpredictable ways. The skywave is how they cover 38 states, and is why some of the posters here have described hearing 670 in eastern California, in West Virginia, in Atlanta, and so forth.

On a clear night without atmospheric noise, a station like WSCR (and WGN, WBBM and WLS) really can be heard across a lot states -- "38 states" is probably optimistic, but nevertheless it'll still cover thousands of miles.

sbsox
08-21-2006, 06:06 PM
The signal map explains why I have trouble picking up 670 at night. It angles around South Bend...

miker
08-21-2006, 06:34 PM
Oh the signal's clear...it's the programming I wonder about.

slobes
08-21-2006, 06:37 PM
The signal map explains why I have trouble picking up 670 at night. It angles around South Bend...

Yeah I was at South Bend Saturday and I could hear the Score loud and clear, even at night.

chisoxfanatic
08-21-2006, 08:12 PM
Yeah I was at South Bend Saturday and I could hear the Score loud and clear, even at night.

I too heard it loud and clear when I went to a wedding up in South Haven, MI last month.

cnw8052
08-21-2006, 09:14 PM
I hope they NEVER go back to worthless AM 1000.

Here in Sterling/Rock Falls,IL 670 is clear as a bell day and night. AM 1000 never came in.

Too much interference and fading on 670.:whiner:
I hope the sox get back to am1000 next year, at times in the evening it's like listening to a local Buffalo station.
On another note, one evening while driving on a bridge on Friday in Erie County NY, I picked-up a game between the Angels and Rangers. I lost the signal going down the bridge, not sure if the station was from Texas or CA.

pczarapa
08-21-2006, 09:41 PM

I used to get AM1000 on really clear nights here in Lexington, KY. Can get 670 from time to time, usually only in crap games like tonight's. Although Saturday's gem by Garland made it down here ok.

Nellie_Fox
08-22-2006, 12:03 AM
If that's the coverage map for WSCR, then why do they boast being able to "reach 38 states?" :?:I would suspect that it's because that's the "ground wave" propagation map, that being the coverage under normal daytime conditions. At night, "skywave" propagation becomes possible, but not reliable. There are so many factors that play into nighttime skywave on low frequencies.

There are some nights that I can receive WSCR better than local stations, and on other nights, not at all. So, they would never have a map showing coverage in Mankato, Minnesota, because it's hit or miss.

miker
08-22-2006, 01:18 PM
Why does WGN say "Everybody Loves the Cubs?" :?: