PDA

View Full Version : That's why you dont bring an infant to the game.

Timmy D's
08-18-2006, 09:58 PM
:o: My gawd that was close to just disaterous on Hunters dinger!!!:o: :o: :o:

soxwon
08-18-2006, 09:59 PM
Just the fat loop guy dancing!!!

Timmy D's
08-18-2006, 10:04 PM
Just the fat loop guy dancing!!!

No sorry, thats my sig, not a link, I was just commenting on that home run. No link to footage.

cbotnyse
08-19-2006, 02:14 AM
No sorry, thats my sig, not a link, I was just commenting on that home run. No link to footage.what happened?

SoxShirt
08-19-2006, 02:23 AM
My cousin is planning on bringing his 3 month old son to the game next friday. I'm not quite sure why you would want to bring a kid that young to a baseball game...:?: :o:

Timmy D's
08-19-2006, 02:38 AM
The replays on the news and ESPN really dont show it, but on WCIU's broadcast, they showed they ball replay whiz past this lady that was cradling her infant. It was really, really close, and she was kinda shocked how close and lucky she was when they showed her after the fact. I'm surprised no one else really noticed it, or replayed it. I still have it Tivo'd and after further review, I would say it was w/in 2' from disaster.

I remember there was a thread about this not to long ago. I remember a few years ago, I was sittin down 1st base line 119 low row, and a screamin' meamie came past this mom holdin' her baby, and if it wasnt for the guy next to her, I swear that woulda been catastrophic. I was a few rows up, and it was one of those things ya saw comin', but couldnt even yell fast enough. Dunno. My kids are older now, but I still usually sit on the 1st pecking order seat when I'm sittin' in an upgrade of my regular nosebleeds(no foul balls come up there, and if they do, they wont hurt ya):rolleyes: , for that very reason.

rdwj
08-19-2006, 12:47 PM
I have NO problem with bringing a kid to a game, but you've GOT to be careful where you sit. I saw a lady, not long ago, that had a tiny baby laying on the dogout. I couldn't imagine doing that.

Talk about TOTAL lack of common sense.

RealFan
08-19-2006, 02:32 PM
I saw it and had it on Tivo. I watched it a couple of times again on Tivo with my wife. That ball would have killed the infant had it landed about one foot down and one foot over. The baby's head was pointed toward home plate as the mother cradled the baby. Since Hunter hit a line drive, she had little to no warning - that ball got out of there fast.

I would say that sitting out there you would think you'd have a solid second or two to get your little one out of harm's way - so I don't know how much I can really blame her. People who bring infants and sit between the bases where there's no netting are really taking a chance IMHO.

Lyle Mouton
08-19-2006, 03:15 PM
I'm really surprised there hasn't been a fatality from a line drive or a foul tip...I know it happened in the NHL a couple years back, that was an awful awful story

I was at the BoSox game last night and Jeter foul tipped one that was a couple feet left of the screen and caught a lady in the head...the ball went from the woman's head in the second row all the way up to the upper deck:o:

Stormin' Norm
08-19-2006, 09:59 PM
My girlfriend and I live outside of Akron, OH, and she was given free tickets to the indians tigers game on 7/25. We were sitting in section 146 which is on the first base side, almost behind home plate. About midway through the game, Dimitri Young fouled off a pitch that that flew about 20 feet to the right of us and hit a baby in the head that was no more than a year old. It was a low, hard, fast shot, and it all happened so fast. The medics along with a doctor came and attended to the baby, who was eventually taken to the hospital. I tried to email the stadium the following day to make sure the baby was going to be alright, but they could not release any of the info due to privacy laws. Worse thing about the whole situation was there was about 15-20 adult men surrounding this baby that didn't even attempt to make a play for the ball. Not sure if this had anything to do with it but it was dollar dog night. All they had to do was stick a hand up or get in the way. It was all very shocking, several women in the vicinity were openly crying. :(:

FedEx227
08-20-2006, 01:09 AM
My girlfriend and I live outside of Akron, OH, and she was given free tickets to the indians tigers game on 7/25. We were sitting in section 146 which is on the first base side, almost behind home plate. About midway through the game, Dimitri Young fouled off a pitch that that flew about 20 feet to the right of us and hit a baby in the head that was no more than a year old. It was a low, hard, fast shot, and it all happened so fast. The medics along with a doctor came and attended to the baby, who was eventually taken to the hospital. I tried to email the stadium the following day to make sure the baby was going to be alright, but they could not release any of the info due to privacy laws. Worse thing about the whole situation was there was about 15-20 adult men surrounding this baby that didn't even attempt to make a play for the ball. Not sure if this had anything to do with it but it was dollar dog night. All they had to do was stick a hand up or get in the way. It was all very shocking, several women in the vicinity were openly crying. :(:
Hate to say it, but don't go to a game with an infant plain and simple. You have a baby and believe it or not you have to sacrific things and if that means passing up tickets to a baseball game then it does. The fact is its just not safe for people that are unaware.

I'm not going to say I'm not sorry or that I don't wish the baby the best... but in my opinion that's bad parenting. This new age of parents has no idea what sacrificing for a child is.

cbone
08-20-2006, 08:23 AM
This new age of parents has no idea what sacrificing for a child is.

How many kids do you have?

PeteWard
08-20-2006, 08:36 AM
Hate to say it, but don't go to a game with an infant plain and simple. You have a baby and believe it or not you have to sacrific things and if that means passing up tickets to a baseball game then it does. The fact is its just not safe for people that are unaware.

I'm not going to say I'm not sorry or that I don't wish the baby the best... but in my opinion that's bad parenting. This new age of parents has no idea what sacrificing for a child is.

Why "hate to say it"? They do not belong and when they start crying are as annoying as any drunk bellowing Yankees fan.

But maybe a bit more innocent?

SouthSoxFan
08-20-2006, 08:46 AM
How many kids do you have?

Exactly. Everybody's great at parenting someone else's kids, apparently even the teenagers are up to the challenge.

PeteWard
08-20-2006, 08:57 AM
Exactly. Everybody's great at parenting someone else's kids, apparently even the teenagers are up to the challenge.

If the parents allow thier kids to be a nuisance to me in a public place you damn well better believe I'll have something to say.

soxinem1
08-20-2006, 09:13 AM
I agree that box seats around the plate or baselines are not good for infants. Plus, 30K+ crowds are probably not good either. But there can be exceptions, and mine is one of them.

This is one of my favorite stories:

I took my son back in 1995 when he was only two months old. I had bleacher seats and they weren't drawing for ****. I also walked him around in the stroller a lot through the concourse. He handled the fireworks well (I put my hands over his ears for most) on a HR and got a kick out of it. With all the people around, he had plenty of things to look at.

He held out until the end of the seventh inning until he ran out of gas and started protesting.

I knew I had a winner, he's an All-Star pitcher now!!!!!

Wsoxmike59
08-20-2006, 09:28 AM
I'm really surprised there hasn't been a fatality from a line drive or a foul tip...I know it happened in the NHL a couple years back, that was an awful awful story

I was at the BoSox game last night and Jeter foul tipped one that was a couple feet left of the screen and caught a lady in the head...the ball went from the woman's head in the second row all the way up to the upper deck:o:

There's been a few Lyle Mouton. The one I remember the most was when I was 10 (1970) there was a young kid killed by a foul ball off the bat of Manny Mota at Dodger Stadium.

I still remember how sad I felt as I read the article in the paper, the kid was struck by a line drive to his temple, but before he lost consciousness I remember the article stating how ecstatic he was about getting the ball.

I did a quick search online and I found this article regarding fan fatalities in ballparks during the 20th Century.

http://www.questia.com/PM.qst;jsessionid=GydVGdmnH4Qy4vNMHR120p592wnyjkH2 vCCbZrQ2qzJmR58hMSB0!377065349!-1604355760?a=o&d=5002579963

There were a couple of "oddities" sprinkled in the article as well. For example:

* Bob Feller's Mother got hit in the head by a foul ball in the stands while watching Bob pitch on Mother's Day 1939

* Richie Ashburn struck the same woman twice during the same at bat in a game in 1957

* A 54 year old Giants Fan was killed by a stray bullet at the Polo Grounds in 1950 before a Dodger-Giant double header.

The last item I remember reading about in one of Peter Golenbock's books. The Polo Grounds were sold out that day and it was SRO, and after the Police carried the guy out, fans were fighting over his empty seat! Gotta love NY! :D:

itsnotrequired
08-21-2006, 09:16 AM

My son will be turning one year old at the beginning of September. He has made it to 18 games this season. It isn't a hassle if you sit in the Upper Deck. We had him downstairs for one game, halfway along the first base line and halfway back in the seats. He sat with whomever was on the far side of the seating action and we paid close attention.

Broad, sweeping statements like "don't go to a game with an infant plain and simple" and "this new age of parents has no idea what sacrificing for a child is" deserve a giant :rolleyes: .

rdwj
08-21-2006, 10:30 AM
If the parents allow thier kids to be a nuisance to me in a public place you damn well better believe I'll have something to say.

Ya, on a message board. :rolleyes:

maurice
08-21-2006, 03:07 PM
Not THIS thread again.
:rolleyes:

Why are so many people unable to engage in rational risk assessment? A kid in one of several thousand OF seats 350+ feet from home plate is in very little danger from a batted ball. The chances of a HR landing in his seat is extremely low. Even if it does, the chances that the kid will be hurt is far less than 100%, especially if their parent is a Sox fan who actually watches the game. The danger between the bases (but not behind the screen) is higher than in the OF, but it's still very low.

Heck, a kid is in far more danger sitting in the car on the way home.

As far as annoyance is concerned, most kids (of any age) are not particularly annoying at baseball games. A sleeping baby is FAR less annoying than the average drunk adult. Any annoying child I've experienced at a game has been the direct result of a moron adult who fails to properly handle the kid.

Tiger23
08-21-2006, 03:16 PM
Kids should be old enough to remember their first trip to the ballpark IMO, and not just for safety reasons.

maurice
08-21-2006, 03:46 PM
Kids should be old enough to remember their first trip to the ballpark IMO

Why?

Tiger23
08-21-2006, 04:25 PM
I just remember my first trip very clearly because my parents waited until I could comprehend what was going on. Seems like it adds a little value, but that's just my opinion.

The safety concerns are something that can easily be taken care of.

StockdaleForVeep
08-21-2006, 04:40 PM
Not THIS thread again.

Why are so many people unable to engage in rational risk assessment? A kid in one of several thousand OF seats 350+ feet from home plate is in very little danger from a batted ball. The chances of a HR landing in his seat is extremely low. Even if it does, the chances that the kid will be hurt is far less than 100%, especially if their parent is a Sox fan who actually watches the game. The danger between the bases (but not behind the screen) is higher than in the OF, but it's still very low.

As far as annoyance is concerned, most kids (of any age) are not particularly annoying at baseball games. A sleeping baby is FAR less annoying than the average drunk adult. Any annoying child I've experienced at a game has been the direct result of a moron adult who fails to properly handle the kid.

the screamin kid across my parkinlot is more annoyin than the rap or the drunk people in the lot.

Yes about danger, well, a girl was killed at a hockey game and it forced the teams to institute that stupid net rule which is just an eyesore. All it takes is one, plus u know if someone dies they will sue, even tho the back of the ticket is to waive all liability.

I recall a game 2-3 years ago i was 2-3 rows from the wall left field, sun was brutal during BP and vlad took some whacks and it was horrible for even adults cuz the sun was right over the back wall of the stadium(im amazed how some fielders can field line drives)
anyway, ball was a scorcher, hit the brick right above the bullpen, the seat behind that ball was a 2-3 year old girl just sittin in her seatwoulda def killed. A old grandmother got hit in the gut too, i was runnin for the ball, her husband was standin and i got a face full of back cuz i was trackin the ball in my row and not him

StockdaleForVeep
08-21-2006, 04:41 PM
Why?
Then what is the point of bringin them if not for your own sense of "bonding with the kid"

It also baffles me why some parents take infants to movie theatres who do not comprehend the movie or care\etc. Yes, a lil infant really wants to see titanic

cbone
08-21-2006, 04:45 PM
Not THIS thread again.

How did all this common sense get in here??? A voice of reason.

Thank you.

itsnotrequired
08-21-2006, 04:45 PM
Then what is the point of bringin them if not for your own sense of "bonding with the kid"

It also baffles me why some parents take infants to movie theatres who do not comprehend the movie or careetc. Yes, a lil infant really wants to see titanic

Then what's the point of doing anything with an infant? Might as well put them in the cooler until they are three years old. Spending time with your child is important, regardless of the activity. Our son is insanely well-behaved at games. Even I'm impressed.

Agreed on the movies though. A baseball stadium is a loud, outdoor environment. A movie theater is a quiet, intimate environment. I have yet to take our son to the movies and don't plan on doing it anytime soon.

FedEx227
08-21-2006, 04:50 PM

So because I don't have kids of my own I immediately can't recognize lackadaisical parenting? Please. Tell me you don't see more and more parents putting less and less discpline to their kids? Go to a grocery store, go to a bowling alley, go to a resturant, go to a movie theater...

If people are so quick to attack me, then maybe the same people can answer a question for me... Why take an infant to a baseball game?

Fake Chet Lemon
08-21-2006, 04:54 PM

Children are not little adults, they are children. And they will act like........you guessed it. Children.

Why do people who can't handle going out in public, go out in public? Going to a ballgame includes the public, which includes children. But, there are some people who just shouldn't be parents either. I'll give you that.

Palehose13
08-21-2006, 04:59 PM
Children are not little adults, they are children. And they will act like........you guessed it. Children.

Why do people who can't handle going out in public, go out in public? Going to a ballgame includes the public, which includes children. But, there are some people who just shouldn't be parents either. I'll give you that.

I avoid kids day.

itsnotrequired
08-21-2006, 05:00 PM
So because I don't have kids of my own I immediately can't recognize lackadaisical parenting? Please. Tell me you don't see more and more parents putting less and less discpline to their kids? Go to a grocery store, go to a bowling alley, go to a resturant, go to a movie theater...

http://snl.jt.org/arc/char/DaCa-Grumpy%20Old%20Man.jpg

"Back in my day, children were seen and not heard! And if they misbehaved, the parents threw down a whipping! My father hit me so hard once that he broke his hand! That's the way it was and we liked it!"

:tongue:

maurice
08-21-2006, 05:09 PM
a girl was killed at a hockey game and it forced the teams to institute that stupid net rule which is just an eyesore. All it takes is one, plus u know if someone dies they will sue, even tho the back of the ticket is to waive all liability.

Red herring. The age of the victim was irrelevant. If an 80-year-old man were killed, it would be handled exactly the same. Are you against grandpas at ball games, too?

It's also absurdly speculative. Joe Schmoe needs to leave his kid at home (even if his seats are nowhere near home plate) because there is a 1-in-1 billion chance that she might be killed and a chance that the death would cause MLB to pass a dumb rule? That's ridiculous.

I couldn't care less why person X does something, as long as they leave me alone. It's a free country, and I mind my own business.

It also baffles me why some parents take infants to movie theatres who do not comprehend the movie or care\etc.

Again, as long as they leave me alone, I don't care.

Yes, it's a problem if they're screaming through a drama and running wild in the aisles, but that's a parenting issue. You can't generalize that to all kids/parents. It's like saying that you shouldn't bring adult to the movies, because a few times I heard an adult talk through the whole movie.

Flight #24
08-21-2006, 05:17 PM
Why take an infant to a baseball game?

I can only speak for myself, but we took our infant to games for a couple of reasons. First - because we couldn't always get a sitter and we knew he'd sleep through most of the game anyway. Second - because we planned on introducing him to the game a bit at a time. So getting used to the sounds, etc was a part of that. That doesn't mean that we sat in our seats the whole time, if he was crying, we'd get up & walk around to distract him or get him to sleep. And he loved the music, fireworks, & general clamor (when he was awake). We also were careful to shield him from the field, watch the sun exposure, etc during play (or when he was sleeping, keep him in the carrier in our laps where he couldn't get hit by a ball).

I continue to take him to games as a toddler. He started to know some of the players & understand bits of what's going on. Again - I don't spend a lot of time in the seat, we do a lot of walking around to the shower, Fundamentals, fan deck, etc. Sometimes he gets cranky & we leave early. It's no big deal. There are times when I leave him at home & go to the game & get to watch more of it. Different situations for different purposes.

Should kids be monitored & managed - sure. But it's idiocy to make blanket statements like "don't bring them to games". It's like saying "don't sell beer at games" because I guarantee you there are a ton more people upsetting those around them for being drunk asses than kids who are doing the same because they're cranky.

StockdaleForVeep
08-21-2006, 05:19 PM
Then what's the point of doing anything with an infant? Might as well put them in the cooler until they are three years old. Spending time with your child is important, regardless of the activity. Our son is insanely well-behaved at games. Even I'm impressed.

Agreed on the movies though. A baseball stadium is a loud, outdoor environment. A movie theater is a quiet, intimate environment. I have yet to take our son to the movies and don't plan on doing it anytime soon.

What movies u been to that have been quiet.....lol

I dont see the difference in takin a child to the movies or the game.

FedEx227
08-21-2006, 05:27 PM
I can only speak for myself, but we took our infant to games for a couple of reasons. First - because we couldn't always get a sitter and we knew he'd sleep through most of the game anyway. Second - because we planned on introducing him to the game a bit at a time. So getting used to the sounds, etc was a part of that. That doesn't mean that we sat in our seats the whole time, if he was crying, we'd get up & walk around to distract him or get him to sleep. And he loved the music, fireworks, & general clamor (when he was awake). We also were careful to shield him from the field, watch the sun exposure, etc during play (or when he was sleeping, keep him in the carrier in our laps where he couldn't get hit by a ball).

I continue to take him to games as a toddler. He started to know some of the players & understand bits of what's going on. Again - I don't spend a lot of time in the seat, we do a lot of walking around to the shower, Fundamentals, fan deck, etc. Sometimes he gets cranky & we leave early. It's no big deal. There are times when I leave him at home & go to the game & get to watch more of it. Different situations for different purposes.

Should kids be monitored & managed - sure. But it's idiocy to make blanket statements like "don't bring them to games". It's like saying "don't sell beer at games" because I guarantee you there are a ton more people upsetting those around them for being drunk asses than kids who are doing the same because they're cranky.

Good post, that's all I wanted to hear. I understand I was pretty vauge in my statement of don't bring infants to a game, I suppose I meant more or less... don't forget their infants and don't forget you're at a baseball game where a lot can happen. Be a bit more responsible, because I hate to see these instances of kids getting hurt at a baseball game.

itsnotrequired
08-21-2006, 05:32 PM

Talkies have been the rage for years!:redneck

A movie theater is still a far different environment than a ballpark. In a ballpark, you can carry on conversations, stand up, move around, yell, etc. pretty much whenever you want. That stuff doesn't fly in a movie theater. That's not to say it doesn't happen but I'm sure you as well as most people are far more annoyed with a crying baby in a movie theater than at the ballpark.

StockdaleForVeep
08-21-2006, 05:34 PM
Talkies have been the rage for years!:redneck

A movie theater is still a far different environment than a ballpark. In a ballpark, you can carry on conversations, stand up, move around, yell, etc. pretty much whenever you want. That stuff doesn't fly in a movie theater. That's not to say it doesn't happen but I'm sure you as well as most people are far more annoyed with a crying baby in a movie theater than at the ballpark.

But you have george lucas style super speakers amplifying any boom\bam.

Unless its like japanese theatre and its just a guy on a balcony reciting being the shows u go to?

Fake Chet Lemon
08-21-2006, 05:34 PM

I dont see the difference in takin a child to the movies or the game.

And I have yet to encounter a kid having a cell-phone conversation at the movies. Adults doing it, yes sir!

StockdaleForVeep
08-21-2006, 05:36 PM
And I have yet to encounter a kid having a cell-phone conversation at the movies. Adults doing it, yes sir!

Correct but i have encountered whiney\finickey kids and all the parents do is try to shoosh them or whatnot, when the common sense initative would state take em outside and bring em back in when theyve calmed down

itsnotrequired
08-21-2006, 05:36 PM
But you have george lucas style super speakers amplifying any boom\bam.

Unless its like japanese theatre and its just a guy on a balcony reciting being the shows u go to?

C'mon, you're really starting to reach on this one...

MarySwiss
08-21-2006, 05:40 PM
I don't have kids, but I can understand why a parent would want to take an infant to a Sox game this year. True, the kid will not remember it, but he/she will be told they were there to see the World Champion White Sox and will hand that story down to his/her kids.

As long as the parents realize that there is a certain amount of risk involved and take precautions, I cannot understand why bringing an infant--or a young child--to a game is any different from bringing one to a party, or picnic, that is held near water. In fact, there is probably less risk in the ball park.

StockdaleForVeep
08-21-2006, 05:47 PM
I don't have kids, but I can understand why a parent would want to take an infant to a Sox game this year. True, the kid will not remember it, but he/she will be told they were there to see the World Champion White Sox and will hand that story down to his/her kids.

As long as the parents realize that there is a certain amount of risk involved and take precautions, I cannot understand why bringing an infant--or a young child--to a game is any different from bringing one to a party, or picnic, that is held near water. In fact, there is probably less risk in the ball park.

I was about 2 at my uncles when the bears won the superbowl, i dont proclaim i was watching the game or even recall it but apparently i drank a bottle of expensive perfume of my aunts......and yet im still alive?

Tiger23
08-21-2006, 06:24 PM

You say the same thing every year. Just because you were lucky and got it right once doesn't mean it will happen again.

soxwon
08-21-2006, 06:55 PM
Come on someone-we need a link!!!

soxwon
08-21-2006, 06:56 PM
You say the same thing every year. Just because you were lucky and got it right once doesn't mean it will happen again.

simple just tell the kid he was there anyways.
i dont need to know if its true.

The Immigrant
08-21-2006, 06:57 PM
I was about 2 at my uncles when the bears won the superbowl, i dont proclaim i was watching the game or even recall it but apparently i drank a bottle of expensive perfume of my aunts......and yet im still alive?

Looks like that perfume had no deleterious effect whatsoever!