PDA

View Full Version : Highway Robbery!

PKalltheway
08-18-2006, 02:27 PM
In light of the article on ESPN.com's Page 2, who was the best player you've seen get robbed of an award? For me, it was Dontrelle Willis getting robbed of the NL Cy Young last year. He was so much better than Chris Carpenter on so many levels I can't even begin to name them.

Flight #24
08-18-2006, 02:30 PM
In light of the article on ESPN.com's Page 2, who was the best player you've seen get robbed of an award? For me, it was Dontrelle Willis getting robbed of the NL Cy Young last year. He was so much better than Chris Carpenter on so many levels I can't even begin to name them.

Frank Thomas. Jason Giambi. 'Nuff Said.

PKalltheway
08-18-2006, 02:34 PM
Frank Thomas. Jason Giambi. 'Nuff Said.
Please, why did you remind me of that? That was painful! I'm still trying to forget that year!:tongue:

Oblong
08-18-2006, 02:42 PM
This is NOT Detroit bias:

Alan Trammell not getting the MVP in 1987. .343 and 28 HR. Led the team down the stretch to overtake Toronto. Instead they gave it to Bell who disappeared down that stretch, the exact point you would expect an MVP to step it up. The feeling was that many voters turned in their ballot in the last week of the season before the Jays and Bell's collapse.

A couple of other candidates should have gotten the Cy Young over Clemens in 2001, including Mussina. Clemens got a lot of run support that year and his W-L record reflected that.

wdelaney72
08-18-2006, 02:43 PM
Mark Shapiro over Kenny Williams for the 2005 Executive Of the Year.

the gooch
08-18-2006, 02:44 PM
the 1994 white sox and the world series trophy. (half-teal)

KMKsuburbannoise
08-18-2006, 02:57 PM

with Dontrell's case, I think the year he had before last year hurt him.

drewcifer
08-18-2006, 03:11 PM

I thought Colon over Santana for the AL Cy was pretty egregious too. The man did his job much better; the lack of run support wasn't his fault.

PatK
08-18-2006, 03:16 PM
Torii Hunter getting the Gold Glove over Aaron Rowand, despite the fact he was out for the last 2+ months of the season.

Kenny not getting Executive of the Year.

Chisox003
08-18-2006, 03:22 PM
Torii Hunter getting the Gold Glove over Aaron Rowand, despite the fact he was out for the last 2+ months of the season.

Kenny not getting Executive of the Year.
Hunter played 93 games last season :o:

Also, didn't Rafael Palmeiro win the GG in like 1999 with 140 something games played as DH?? That's just ridiculous.

Most of the individual awards in MLB are shams anyway. The biggest one, the MVP, got stolen from Hurt in 2000. That was a joke.

NonetheLoaiza
08-18-2006, 08:53 PM
Easily from a Sox fans' perspective...Thomas not getting the MVP in 2000. That in and of itself was robbery, and to boot, you find out that Giambi was on steroids. He's not even half the man Frank is.

I still don't understand how Shapiro got the Exec. of the Year award last year. KW retools the team, and pretty much changes philosophies in ONE YEAR and gives them a completely different look, leading them to MLB's best record for most of the season, yet they give it to Shapiro. While doing a good job for the Indians, what moves did he make that really got him that award? Not to mention, the Indians didn't really make an appearance until the latter part of the season...Still don't get that one.

Grzegorz
08-18-2006, 08:59 PM
Easily from a Sox fans' perspective...Thomas not getting the MVP in 2000. That in and of itself was robbery, and to boot, you find out that Giambi was on steroids. He's not even half the man Frank is.

Gotta be...

Ziggy S
08-18-2006, 09:04 PM
Thomas getting robbed in 2000 and Shapiro getting the Exec of the Year over KW. Does anything else even come close?

DSpivack
08-18-2006, 10:24 PM
the 1994 white sox and the world series trophy. (half-teal)

I know it's half-teal, but unlike what many Sox fans think, the White Sox were not locks to even make the playoffs, let alone win or make the World Series. The Indians were just a game away from the Soxs, the Royals five, while the resurgent Yankees had the best record in the AL (the Rangers led the AL West while being 10 games under .500 :o:).

In the NL, the Expos were probably the best team in baseball. Led by Cliff Floyd, Marquiss Grissom, Moises Alou, and Larry Walker, as well as Ken Hill (don't laugh), Pedro, Jeff Fassero (seriously, stop laughing), John Wetteland, and others, they could've made it a third straight year with a Canadian WS Champion. If that season had playoffs, it's very possible there would still be baseball in Montreal.

PeteWard
08-20-2006, 07:51 AM
Didn't Cecil Cooper actually lose a batting title in the late 70's or early 80s--not an award--when the league voted to award it to the despicable George Brett, whose average was higher, but who was injured and failed to have enough at bats? Then they just gave it to him despite the fact that he did not meet the league's own criteria? Any Brewer fans to help me here? Outrageous if it happened like I remember.