PDA

View Full Version : If you were Theo Epstein, what would you do?

caulfield12
08-18-2006, 01:48 PM
1) Waive Jason Johnson and start Foulke?

2) Keep Johnson.

3) Convert Papelbon to starter.

4) Trade for Clemens

5) Start Javier Lopez...and give out free churros to all who watched the debacle

Rocky Soprano
08-18-2006, 01:49 PM
Why would we care?

All I care about is having more wins than Detroit, Yankees, and Boston.

caulfield12
08-18-2006, 01:51 PM
It's a slow day...I have the afternoon off, lol.

itsnotrequired
08-18-2006, 01:51 PM
I like how people throw out the old "who cares?" line for baseball-related posts in the Talking Baseball forum.

:rolleyes:

Scottiehaswheels
08-18-2006, 02:13 PM
If I were Theo I would push to have my team moved to the NL...

cbotnyse
08-18-2006, 02:16 PM
Get a job at ESPN as an analyst.

maurice
08-18-2006, 02:20 PM
Why would we care?

C'mon, somebody's got to fill in during Fenway's leave of absense.
:cool:

Rocky Soprano
08-18-2006, 02:22 PM
I like how people throw out the old "who cares?" line for baseball-related posts in the Talking Baseball forum.

:rolleyes:
You honestly care what Theo does?
I would think we all get enough about the Yankees and Red Sox on ESPN. I am sure they will dedicate an entire show to, what Boston needs to do to win it all. Then a Yankees one.

I didnt dispute the thread was in the wrong forum.

Tighty Whities on a bit tight today?

Tekijawa
08-18-2006, 02:24 PM
Retire, and become Peter Gammons wet nurse to help ease his passing into the next stage of his life. Then they could spend their Golden years together holding hands in lounge chairs while watching the sun rise over the Atlantic Ocean, like it was all supposed to be... Two men separated in age by generations but drawn together in their shared love of everything that is Red Sox Baseball... Coming this fall! Bean Town Mountain...

Rocky Soprano
08-18-2006, 02:25 PM
Retire, and become Peter Gammons wet nurse to help ease his passing into the next stage of his life. Then they could spend their Golden years together holding hands in lounge chairs while watching the sun rise over the Atlantic Ocean, like it was all supposed to be... Two men separated in age by generations but drawn together in their shared love of everything that is Red Sox Baseball... Coming this fall! Bean Town Mountain...
:thumbsup:

I guess this thread IS fun afterall!

Chicken Dinner
08-18-2006, 02:26 PM
If I were Theo I'd ask Kenny if he had any assistant jobs available.

itsnotrequired
08-18-2006, 02:30 PM
You honestly care what Theo does?
I would think we all get enough about the Yankees and Red Sox on ESPN. I am sure they will dedicate an entire show to, what Boston needs to do to win it all. Then a Yankees one.

I didnt dispute the thread was in the wrong forum.

Tighty Whities on a bit tight today?

I could care less about Theo or what he does but I'm not going to berate others for wanting to think about him. It seems like every other baseball thread in Talking Baseball gets the "who cares?" treatment. I don't get it.

I wear boxers or cod pieces, BTW.:tongue:

DumpJerry
08-18-2006, 02:39 PM
Theo:

Trade Papelbon and Ortiz for Wood and Prior. I have a hunch about them next year!

Regards,

Dumpjerry

Rocky Soprano
08-18-2006, 02:55 PM
I could care less about Theo or what he does but I'm not going to berate others for wanting to think about him. It seems like every other baseball thread in Talking Baseball gets the "who cares?" treatment. I don't get it.

I didn't mean to berate anyone. So sorry if it came out like that.

Cod Pieces, interesting. :D:

Flight #24
08-18-2006, 03:03 PM
If I were Theo, I'd be sending monthly floral arrangements and checks to Dave Roberts for effectively granting me genius status and giving me a free ride in New England for life, regardless of subsequent failures.

Dan Mega
08-18-2006, 03:07 PM
Trade Papelbon for David Riske.

Trade Varitek for Sandy Alomar.

Trade David Ortiz for a sad poem of how deflated their fans are.

Flight #24
08-18-2006, 03:09 PM

itsnotrequired ------> http://static.firedoglake.com/2006/07/cameo20.jpg?

caulfield12
08-18-2006, 03:31 PM
Just so we don't confuse this as a Theo love fest...

"And I could spend the next 3,000 words ranting and raving about the unacceptable performance of the Henry/Theo regime since they won the World Series -- the catastrophic Renteria/Clement signings; lowballing Pedro/Damon, then half-heartedly renewing talks at the last second; overvaluing Beckett (a genuine disappointment) and Crisp (a colossal disappointment); undervaluing their own prospects (Hanley Ramirez and Anibal Sanchez) in the Beckett trade; freezing at this year's trading deadline; dealing Arroyo without knowing about the health of Wells and Foulke; allowing 40-year-old Mike Timlin to pitch in the WBC (he's a walking corpse now); letting Roberts and Cabrera go; handing Beckett that unconscionable $30 million extension (I yelped out loud when I saw the headline); and we haven't even mentioned last winter's soap opera with Theo yet -- but I don't want to ruin my chances of getting a key to the office next season. So let's just say that everyone did a swell job and I fully support every moronic decision that was made. Now where's my key?"

from espn.com

Dan Mega
08-18-2006, 03:39 PM
itsnotrequired ------> ?

:rolling:

A. Cavatica
08-18-2006, 04:24 PM
1) Waive Jason Johnson and start Foulke?

2) Keep Johnson.

3) Convert Papelbon to starter.

4) Trade for Clemens

5) Start Javier Lopez...and give out free churros to all who watched the debacle

The only interesting suggestion is starting Foulke, who's whined about wanting to be a starter for his whole career -- and he couldn't be worse than Jason Johnson. But Foulke's still hurt, so it's not an option.

Johnson should be toast. They can't stretch out Papelbon this late, and they need him in the bullpen anyway. Of course Theo should trade for Clemens if he can get him cheap, but the Astros don't want to trade him (or they would have done so by the deadline). And the J. Lo idea is silly.

I think the Bosox should start Kyle Snyder, actually. But start Matt Clement against us in the playoffs.

caulfield12
08-18-2006, 04:38 PM
They might have to try Snyder, although I've watched him in KC and he might throw one quality start every four or five games and look really good (see Hudson, Luke), but he's not going to be any better than Johnson.

Then again, it's hard to be worse, and just the psychological lift of trying something different might help team morale for these starts.

They might also try to start Hansen.

At Pawtucket, the best have been Jimmy Serrano http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/stats/player.php?id=408250 and the infamous Matt Ginter.

The Immigrant
08-18-2006, 04:50 PM
If I were Theo Epstein, I would wear the ridiculous gorilla suit every day until I figured out how to assemble a half-decent pitching staff with a $120 million payroll.

Fenway
08-18-2006, 04:58 PM

I spilled my beer reading this :gulp:

6 euros down the drain

:tongue:

gbergman
08-18-2006, 05:21 PM
Slit my wrists?