PDA

View Full Version : Keep Foulke

KempersRS
07-30-2001, 10:59 AM
Since I am usually alone on this, I'll just see what everyone has to say.

Daver
07-30-2001, 05:35 PM
Kemper,your never alone with a scyzhophrenic.

danman31
07-30-2001, 06:57 PM
Think of the trade value we'd have to get if Foulke goes for $8 mil. Plus I think this year is a fluke for Foulke. He was awful last year, I can't imagine he just suddenly became great. I don't think KW is that stupid, but he may be. Does everyone who voted sign him think KW is that stupid?

Jerry_Manuel
07-30-2001, 06:58 PM
Does everyone who voted sign him think KW is that stupid?

I don't trust Williams to get enough back in a trade for Keith.

Daver
07-30-2001, 07:12 PM
I bet he could pry Mark Grace away from the Diamondbacks for him.

Of course it would get screwed up and we'd end up with Matt Grace,the guy that scrapes the gum outta the spikes in the D'backs equipment room.

Iguana775
07-30-2001, 07:25 PM
if we got the right deal, i wouldnt be opposed to it. but i would like to see him say but not at 8 mill a year.

i ate canada
07-30-2001, 07:38 PM
He's not worth 8 million to this team. He is worth 8 million to a lot of other teams but the Sox can't afford to pay a closer that much money.

Then again, apparantly we can afford to throw away 9 million on a "gamble", so who knows what will happen? I dont really see him pitching for us next year. And lets not pretend that Kenny will get anything good for him in return. If we do trade him, we will get robbed.

doublem23
07-30-2001, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by danman31
Think of the trade value we'd have to get if Foulke goes for $8 mil. Plus I think this year is a fluke for Foulke. He was awful last year, I can't imagine he just suddenly became great. I don't think KW is that stupid, but he may be. Does everyone who voted sign him think KW is that stupid?

3-1, 2.97 ERA, 34 SV, 1.000 WHIP (66 H, 22 BB), 91 K is terrible?

Keith Foulke is too valuable to let go, especially with no one ready to take his place.

danman31
07-30-2001, 11:03 PM
Foulke blew up a lot. He was normally good, but he rarely had a 1-2-3 inning. A 2.97 era is good for a starter, but not a closer. That means Foulke is giving up a run every 3 innings. 2 out of 3 save chances isn't that great. I know that he was given more than a 1 run lead sometimes, but do you want to be worried if a 1 run lead is all you have?

i ate canada
07-30-2001, 11:14 PM
That has got to be one of the most ignorant things I have ever read. You're Kenny Williams aren't you? Just trying to prepare us for the shock of losing him tommorow...

Procol Harum
07-30-2001, 11:14 PM
While I hope the Sox can wrap up Foulke for a good number of pennies under $8 mill, I think we have to realize that closers at his level simply don't grow on trees (remember--the only thing keeping the Braves from ruling the 1990s has been their want of a consistent, dominant closer). The truly scary thing is that we will again fall prey to the arrogance of Reinsdorf and company who seem to believe that they can constantly keep developing an endless line of cheap, young pitchers who will somehow serve the team as it catches lightning in a bottle for a championship. I wonder if Reinsdorf's Bulls success has led him to believe that he could just surround his superstar--in this case Frank--with a mediocre supporting cast using the "Sox System" to win it all. If so, he is sadly mistaken in what it takes to build a championship baseball team.

Plus as some of the other posts have pointed out, how could we trust a bonehead like KW to get enough in return for dealing Foulke?

doublem23
07-30-2001, 11:15 PM
All right, I don't like to get bogged down in stats. Sometimes I think they can be bogus and misleading (Zone Rating, what the **** is that), but last year, Foulke had the BEST WHIP (good stat) of all AL Relief pitchers. He held opposing batters to a .207 average, and he blew 6 saves last year.

If we want to be serious about contending next season, we need Keith Foulke. That is the bottom line as I see it. He is reliable, and right now, there is no one ready to assume the closer's role. If we want to win, we need Foulke - for the time being.

:reinsy
The price of winning is $8 million? I can get my jeweler to make a fake World Series ring for me for less than that!

danman31
07-30-2001, 11:50 PM
Hey guys, I don't want you to get the wrong idea about what I'm saying. I like Foulke this year, a lot. I want the Sox to keep Foulke at almost all costs(nothin over $8 mill). I didn't look at the stats from last year, I just saw what doublem23 wrote on his stats. I didn't see Foulke every time he pitched, but from what I saw during 1 stretch he struggled. I didn't realize his WHIP was that good last year. I want us to keep him, but last year was not even close to as good as this year.

doublem23
07-31-2001, 12:02 AM
That's cool danman. I'm sorry if I sounded like was on the attack, but I don't think that you want to call this a fluke year from Foulke. I think he is just getting used to being the closer now. I mean, though he had been in the pen before, last year was the first year he ever had the title of "closer." In fact, he wasn't even the slated closer at the start of spring training. He took that job from Howry.

I think last year, Foulke was still settling down as the team's closer. This year, I think he is a lot more comfotable with that job.