PDA

View Full Version : Hilarious article breaking down contenders

caulfield12
08-17-2006, 12:10 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060816&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab3pos1

I really liked the paragraph about deliberately provoking Ozzie. Funny stuff.

And the part about trading Liriano for six high quality ROTO players the week before Liriano got injured.

Baby Fisk
08-17-2006, 12:34 PM
On Texas fans:

(On the bright side, they can still look forward to the day when Buck Showalter resigns and they win a World Series 12 months later. Good times.)

OUCH! :cool:

Dan Mega
08-17-2006, 12:46 PM
I've always felt that Bill Simmons is one of the better writers for the BOOYAH network. He is a pretty funny guy.

MUsoxfan
08-17-2006, 12:48 PM
My personal favorite:

10. Cleveland
Not sure what happened with these guys. The Indians would have made a much better roto team.
(Note: Normally I'd have more to say, but I'm tired of Cleveland readers complaining every time I write something even mildly negative about one of their teams, no matter how accurate that assessment might be. Now I'm thinking that Cleveland fans are like women -- if they ask you how they look, just tell them, "You look fine, you look great" or else you're in for 20 minutes of pure hell. So to recap, the Indians look fine, they look great. Let's move on.)

nysox35
08-17-2006, 01:26 PM
As always, Simmons was hilarious.

As for his rankings, I'd flip Boston and LA (Make LA 4, Boston 5) and Chicago and Detroit (Make Chicago 2, Detroit 3).

Ask the Yankees or White Sox if they'd rather face LA or Boston and I guarantee you it's Boston (Heated rivalry aside).
Also, I understand the Tigers may end up the #1 seed, but again, ask NY who they'd rather play and I guarantee it's the Tigers.

caulfield12
08-17-2006, 01:51 PM
Minnesota would have to be the least favorite team to face if they had a healthy Liriano, but the A's and Angels are going to be dangerous, especially the Angels.

Weaver, Lackey and Santana is pretty impressive. But I wouldn't expect the Tigers to beat either of these teams, especially w/ Polanco out. They just have too many hitters who cannot manufacture runs...Monroe, Inge, Thames, Young, Shelton (now in AAA), Granderson strikes out a ton for a leadoff hitter. The only way they can overcome it is great pitching from Verlander, Bonderman and Robertson, who now looks to be their third starter, although Leyland might be tempted to go with Rogers instead.

Zito and Haren, possibly with Harden is also good.