PDA

View Full Version : Bullpen start?

balke
08-17-2006, 06:39 AM
I recently thought the bullpen problems weren't solved for the Sox, but seeing Macdougal is healthy and Jenks and Riske doing so well has changed that tune.

I am wondering if this bullpen is strong enough that Ozzie might want to give them a start. This isn't a start Brandon Mccarthy thread, but what about the bullpen giving just a small break to the starters for 1-2 trips in the rotation?

Normally when the Sox have done something like this its been because of an injury or a horrible 5th starter, but could this be something worth doing to freshen up the starters? Or, is this too close of a division race to mess around?

Side Note: Macdougal is far exceeding my expectations for the guy, he's wearing black very well.

jenn2080
08-17-2006, 07:27 AM
I recently thought the bullpen problems weren't solved for the Sox, but seeing Macdougal is healthy and Jenks and Riske doing so well has changed that tune.

I am wondering if this bullpen is strong enough that Ozzie might want to give them a start. This isn't a start Brandon Mccarthy thread, but what about the bullpen giving just a small break to the starters for 1-2 trips in the rotation?

Normally when the Sox have done something like this its been because of an injury or a horrible 5th starter, but could this be something worth doing to freshen up the starters? Or, is this too close of a division race to mess around?

Side Note: Macdougal is far exceeding my expectations for the guy, he's wearing black very well.

WHAT?!? do you really want to kill the bull pen? the only one who should be getting a start would be mccarthy. other then that no thanks.

hi im skot
08-17-2006, 07:58 AM

That one.

kobo
08-17-2006, 08:48 AM
Why would you want someone from the bullpen to start? There is noone besides Brandon that will be able to go more than 3 innings. This idea makes no sense at all. If they wanted to give a starter some rest they would put Bmac into the rotation. Seeing as how that has not been done at all this season, it's probably not going to happen now.

Jurr
08-17-2006, 09:03 AM
Brandon's been giving up bomb after bomb lately. I don't know if he's really the answer to any problems at the moment. If he's going to start, make it a start for a good reason. I see no reason to start him over any guy in our rotation right now. Two bad games be damned.

hold2dibber
08-17-2006, 04:59 PM
Why would you want someone from the bullpen to start? There is noone besides Brandon that will be able to go more than 3 innings. This idea makes no sense at all. If they wanted to give a starter some rest they would put Fingernails on a blackboard into the rotation. Seeing as how that has not been done at all this season, it's probably not going to happen now.

I think the suggestion is they give several guys from the bullpen a few innings each - the idea would not be to have any of them go more than 2 or 3 innings. The Blue Jays did this the other night, and the Sox have on occassion in the past as well. In any event, I'm not in favor, just because I don't have a ton of faith in the starters to pitch deep into games right now, so I'd hate to use 4 or 5 bullpen guys in a single night and have them all less than rested the next day or two. I'd just leave well enough alone.

Lip Man 1
08-17-2006, 06:52 PM
Years ago Tony LaRussa gave thought to rotating his pitching staff. There would be no 'starters' and no 'relievers.' Three pitchers would pitch three innings per game.

It would be set up like this:

Game #1: #1, #2, #3
Game #2: #4, #5, #6
Game #3: #7, #8, #9
Game #4: #10, #11, #1

and so forth.

It didn't automatically mean by the way that his 'best' pitchers would be #1, #2 and #3. They would be mixed in among the staff to provide balance and diversity. Ditto for left handers and right handers.

Lip

Chicken Dinner
08-17-2006, 07:56 PM
With the rosters expanding, it's not needed or very smart.

SluggersAway
08-17-2006, 08:14 PM
Years ago Tony LaRussa gave thought to rotating his pitching staff. There would be no 'starters' and no 'relievers.' Three pitchers would pitch three innings per game.

It would be set up like this:

Game #1: #1, #2, #3
Game #2: #4, #5, #6
Game #3: #7, #8, #9
Game #4: #10, #11, #1

and so forth.

It didn't automatically mean by the way that his 'best' pitchers would be #1, #2 and #3. They would be mixed in among the staff to provide balance and diversity. Ditto for left handers and right handers.

Lip
I kind of like that idea. I would have to give it more thought, but it seems that it would take some pressure of the individual pitcher, get every one of them pysched to pitch lights out for their 3 inning effort, keep their arms strong throughout the season, and keep the hitters off balance as they would be unable to focus on one pitcher prior to the start.

StockdaleForVeep
08-18-2006, 05:48 AM
Cotts and mccarthy are the future staff, key word: future