PDA

View Full Version : The definition of a "sell out"?

chisoxfanatic
08-16-2006, 02:25 PM
Last night, I heard Hawk say that tonight's game is sold out. By doing a search on the Ticketmaster site, I noticed that you can still get single seats IN THE LOWER DECK. I'm now puzzled as I thought that the definition of a sell out is that ALL seats are taken.

Does anyone know the official definition of the term "sell out?"

Lorenzo Barcelo
08-16-2006, 02:32 PM
I was at the game yesterday and the guess the attendance game said it was 35,670. So that makes me think it really was not. Sadly, I was in the uppers and it was not completely filled like other sell out nights up there.

ps this isnt an attendance thread right?

lakeviewsoxfan
08-16-2006, 02:36 PM
I believe the definition of a sell-out is, when you cannot buy 2 seats togheter throughout the entire ballpark.

ewokpelts
08-16-2006, 02:37 PM
a sellout can occur when there are no avaialble tickets left...there were 10,000 comp tickets yesterday(st holder exchange night)....any ticket that"free" does not count toward the PAID ATTENDANCE NUMBER...but it does count towards capacity.
Gene

DaveIsHere
08-16-2006, 02:38 PM
The attendance vaires during a sell-out becuase they do not include all the comp-seats.

Ol' No. 2
08-16-2006, 02:41 PM
I believe the definition of a sell-out is, when you cannot buy 2 seats togheter throughout the entire ballpark.Not correct. A sell-out is when there all available seats are sold.

lakeviewsoxfan
08-16-2006, 02:44 PM
:whocares

35th&Shields
08-16-2006, 02:44 PM
A sell-out is when there all available seats are sold.

Correct. You'll note that it is often referred to as PAID attendance, it doesn't have to do with the number of bodies actually in seats on a given night. Theoretically you could sell 40,000 tickets and only have 25 people in their seats and it would technically be a "sell out."

DumpJerry
08-16-2006, 02:48 PM
This is the big difference between the AL and NL. In the AL they count tickets sold, NL counts all tickets distributed. This is why during the playoffs last year we had 41,000+ at the games, but have not achieved that ever during the regular season. The Sox will give out a few thousand comps to each game, thus lowering the number we see in the box score.

Since the NL counts all tickets, it appears that they fill up to capacity more often.

southwstchi4life
08-16-2006, 02:51 PM
a sellout can occur when there are no avaialble tickets left...there were 10,000 comp tickets yesterday(st holder exchange night)....any ticket that"free" does not count toward the PAID ATTENDANCE NUMBER...but it does count towards capacity.
Gene

I might sound kinda dumb, but what is comp tickets and st holder exchange night.

itsnotrequired
08-16-2006, 02:52 PM
Not correct. A sell-out is when there all available seats are sold.

I think chisoxfanatic is wondering why Hawk said tonight was a sellout yet you can go on Ticketmaster RIGHT NOW and buy tickets for the game.

Are the tickets for sale now the ones the Sox release before games? Or is Hawk off his rocker?

:dunno:

I want Mags back
08-16-2006, 02:52 PM
what is the capacity of the ballpark currently?

itsnotrequired
08-16-2006, 02:53 PM
what is the capacity of the ballpark currently?

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/ballpark/index.jsp

chisoxfanatic
08-16-2006, 02:54 PM
I might sound kinda dumb, but what is comp tickets and st holder exchange night.

Season Ticket Holder Exchange Nights are for when season ticket holders do not use a ticket during the season. They may mail it back to the White Sox in exchange for an upper deck ticket to any of the games on the list that comes in their season ticket box at the beginning of the year.

chisoxfanatic
08-16-2006, 02:55 PM
I think chisoxfanatic is wondering why Hawk said tonight was a sellout yet you can go on Ticketmaster RIGHT NOW and buy tickets for the game.

Are the tickets for sale now the ones the Sox release before games? Or is Hawk off his rocker?

:dunno:

You're right on.

Baby Fisk
08-16-2006, 02:57 PM
You're right on.PE's are like nature's own information service. :redneck

salty99
08-16-2006, 03:01 PM
You're right on.

E-mail Brooks../.:D:

Ol' No. 2
08-16-2006, 03:07 PM
This is the big difference between the AL and NL. In the AL they count tickets sold, NL counts all tickets distributed. This is why during the playoffs last year we had 41,000+ at the games, but have not achieved that ever during the regular season. The Sox will give out a few thousand comps to each game, thus lowering the number we see in the box score.

Since the NL counts all tickets, it appears that they fill up to capacity more often.I'm pretty sure the difference in league treatment disappeared when they abolished the league offices. Both leagues now treat attendance the same. The reason the playoffs all show maximum attendance is that there are technically no comp seats. Tickets are given away to sponsors, etc. and players can reserve tickets, but these are "paid for", and are not considered comps, although the distinction may be more semantic than real.

Chicken Dinner
08-16-2006, 03:23 PM
It sure would be interesting if they would report both tickets sold and turnstyle attendance numbers.

bludupree
08-16-2006, 04:04 PM
:whocares

Original and appropriate.
What are you even referring to here? This thread or the correction of your post?

Ziggy S
08-16-2006, 04:40 PM
Metallica is definitely one.

lakeviewsoxfan
08-16-2006, 04:47 PM
Original and appropriate.
What are you even referring to here? This thread or the correction of your post?

Either one

ilsox7
08-16-2006, 05:00 PM
Last night, I heard Hawk say that tonight's game is sold out. By doing a search on the Ticketmaster site, I noticed that you can still get single seats IN THE LOWER DECK. I'm now puzzled as I thought that the definition of a sell out is that ALL seats are taken.

These were probably VIP tickets or tickets otherwise held and just released for sale.

whitesoxwilkes
08-16-2006, 05:04 PM
These were probably VIP tickets or tickets otherwise held and just released for sale.

BINGO!

They're usually seats reserved for groups. For example, the Sox held back 250 seats for WSIfest but only 80-90 folks bought tix. The rest of the tickets went back into the available tickets pool.

VIP seats are released around an hour before game time.

itsnotrequired
08-16-2006, 05:10 PM
BINGO!

They're usually seats reserved for groups. For example, the Sox held back 250 seats for WSIfest but only 80-90 folks bought tix. The rest of the tickets went back into the available tickets pool.

VIP seats are released around an hour before game time.

So do these reserved tickets count towards the total? In other words, say all the "regular" tickets are sold and the reserves are released. If no one buys the reserve tickets, would it still count as a sellout?

SouthSide_HitMen
08-16-2006, 05:19 PM
I'm pretty sure the difference in league treatment disappeared when they abolished the league offices. Both leagues now treat attendance the same. The reason the playoffs all show maximum attendance is that there are technically no comp seats. Tickets are given away to sponsors, etc. and players can reserve tickets, but these are "paid for", and are not considered comps, although the distinction may be more semantic than real.

You are correct Ol' No. 2. Attendance equals tickets sold regardless of how many people are at the park (comps / no shows).

Steelrod
08-16-2006, 05:41 PM

The ticketmaster website has the Sox Ticket Exchange, where season ticketholders can sell off their tickets. These tickets are already "sold" tickets to begin with. Prices vary from high to below face depending upon the game and ticket owners situation. They have up to 2 hours before game to sell their tickets with them setting the price.

ewokpelts
08-16-2006, 05:44 PM
I might sound kinda dumb, but what is comp tickets and st holder exchange night.season ticket holders can exchange unused tickets for select games.....those tickets are treated as comps...
comps are COMPlimentary tickets

Historia
08-16-2006, 06:27 PM
I question "sell outs" myself.

Cellview22
08-16-2006, 06:58 PM
On Monday, I tried searching for 2 "best available" tickets for Tuesday night, Wednesday night, and Thursday, and it showed nothing available...for the entire KC series. So I can see how these are all official sellouts.

At the end of this homestand, we'll have 22 consecutive sellouts! The next game on Aug 25 vs Minny still has a bunch left, but I wouldn't be surprised if those 3 games sell out, giving the Sox 25 consecutive sellouts! Then TB comes to town, and pretty sure we'll finally have room to stretch out! :gulp:

Elvisfan1977
08-16-2006, 08:41 PM
Gene

BINGO!

jabrch
08-16-2006, 08:49 PM
I was at the game yesterday and the guess the attendance game said it was 35,670. So that makes me think it really was not. Sadly, I was in the uppers and it was not completely filled like other sell out nights up there.

ps this isnt an attendance thread right?

Last night, if you walked up and tried to buy a ticket, even a single, the best they would give you was Standing Room. That was sold out.

Now for some reason there were 5000 no shows...but that's a different story.

itsnotrequired
08-17-2006, 08:33 AM
Last night, if you walked up and tried to buy a ticket, even a single, the best they would give you was Standing Room. That was sold out.

Now for some reason there were 5000 no shows...but that's a different story.

It was a season ticket holder exchange game. Those tickets don't count as paid attendance.

bludupree
08-17-2006, 09:41 AM
Either one

Well in that case you cared enough respond to begin with. And becase the whole point of this thread is to find the actual definition instead of someone's guess I think everyone cares about finding out that your definition is incorrect.

PatK
08-17-2006, 12:31 PM
Can't remember where I heard it, but I was told when a team sells 95% of their available tickets, it is a sell out.

BeviBall!
08-17-2006, 12:46 PM
Sell Outs = Lenny Kravitz, Liz Phair, Metallica

ewokpelts
08-17-2006, 12:49 PM

lenny was always a $ellout.....i just wish he left the 70's every once in a while.....

soxfan13
08-17-2006, 12:51 PM
Can't remember where I heard it, but I was told when a team sells 95% of their available tickets, it is a sell out.

When I picked up my ticket Monday at will call, the agent next to mine told a fan that both Tuesday and Wed were sold out

BigPapaPump
08-17-2006, 12:55 PM

"Yes, we sell out...every seat in the house."

:worship: :Rocker:

Justagirl
08-17-2006, 01:59 PM
I have nothing to contribute to this topic but Hawk explained it during the game yesterday but I was busy and didnt really hear him. Did someone email him about this? ..Because he rambled on and on about it.

gaelhound
08-17-2006, 02:12 PM
I have heard that when Bill Vecck owned the team there was never a sell out. My understanding was that in spite of the Fire Marshall, if you walked up to Vecck, and had $2.00, he would personally hand write a ticket for standing room. Consult old photos or old memories of the groups of people standing on the ramps along the scoreboard at Old Comiskey happy to be in the park for a big game. We were probably one grouchy drunk away from one of those deadly soccer stampedes so popular in nations with no baseball culture!:o:

rookie
08-17-2006, 11:48 PM
Gene

I guess you are referring to Tuesday night. I know that on Wednesday night the Sox donated a whole bunch of tickets to Big Brothers/Big Sisters. I'm assuming these would be comp tickets. (It was nice because they also gave each pairing a rally towel and $10 in Comiskey Cash. And Alex Cintron was nice enough to hit a grand slam to take the edge off of losing and provide some fireworks.)

ewokpelts
08-17-2006, 11:58 PM
I guess you are referring to Tuesday night. I know that on Wednesday night the Sox donated a whole bunch of tickets to Big Brothers/Big Sisters. I'm assuming these would be comp tickets. (It was nice because they also gave each pairing a rally towel and $10 in Comiskey Cash. And Alex Cintron was nice enough to hit a grand slam to take the edge off of losing and provide some fireworks.)charity tix are comps too

BNLSox
08-18-2006, 03:41 AM
A sell out is an owner who charges $18 for parking and $27 for standing room only to a thursday day game against the royals.

Seriously, you guys didn't warn me that the prices got jacked up this year!!