PDA

View Full Version : Yankees Break Ground on New $1B Stadium

Foulke You
08-16-2006, 01:41 PM
The billion dollar stadium has begun:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Ah2jaeXLvw8jM0bweZyh_W45nYcB?slug=ap-yankees-newyankeestadium&prov=ap&type=lgns

ewokpelts
08-16-2006, 02:21 PM
i still think the gulianni proposal was better.....both the mets and yankess would have had new stadiums(with retractable roofs), and they each would have paid 750 million each...mind you, the city of new york would have to fork over 1.5 billion too.....

zmz723
08-16-2006, 02:27 PM
are there any pictures of what it is going to look like?

jenn2080
08-16-2006, 02:29 PM
they are going to have to get rid of Error Rod to complete this stadium esp after his 21st error. What a hoser.

Foulke You
08-16-2006, 02:35 PM
are there any pictures of what it is going to look like?
http://www.csus.edu/indiv/s/shawg/courses/rls180/articles/images/yankee1.jpg

DoItForDanPasqua
08-16-2006, 02:54 PM
They should be ashamed for replacing such an historical ballpark. We have such a disposable society, it's really sad that we don't care about our own history.

mrfourni
08-16-2006, 03:13 PM
i don't see the louisville slugger anywhere

Mr.1Dog
08-16-2006, 03:19 PM
I hate to say it, but it looks like it could be a nice stadium. Hopefully, they will hold on to all the history they hold dear to them. It looks very similar to the old stadium just with newer amenities.

Baby Fisk
08-16-2006, 03:31 PM
I hate to say it, but it looks like it could be a nice stadium. Hopefully, they will hold on to all the history they hold dear to them. It looks very similar to the old stadium just with newer amenities.
Based on the drawings, it will look a lot like the old stadium, but cleaned up and modernized. Can't see a Monument Park in this drawing, though.

http://img425.imageshack.us/img425/2503/yankee902nw5.jpg

nysox35
08-16-2006, 03:36 PM

Word is that it will look more like Yankee Stadium did in 1923 than the current stadium does (it was heavily renovated in the 70's).
I have mixed feelings about it. There is a lot of history in the current stadium, but I guess a new stadium will be cool.
All in all I guess I'm marginally against the change.

Maybe by 2009 I won't be sitting in bleacher seats anymore... :D:

LongLiveFisk
08-16-2006, 03:38 PM
http://www.csus.edu/indiv/s/shawg/courses/rls180/articles/images/yankee1.jpg

Somehow I get a feeling that "Yankee Stadium" won't be the name for very long.

itsnotrequired
08-16-2006, 03:39 PM
They should be ashamed for replacing such an historical ballpark. We have such a disposable society, it's really sad that we don't care about our own history.

:rolleyes:

The basic structure is over 80 years old which I'm guessing is DOUBLE its original design life. Disposable, indeed...

Madvora
08-16-2006, 03:41 PM
I hate to say it, but it looks like it could be a nice stadium.
What?
Are you normally thinking, "I wish there were more crappy stadiums in the MLB?"

nysox35
08-16-2006, 03:42 PM
Somehow I get a feeling that "Yankee Stadium" won't be the name for very long.

The article says that it will be, but that parts of the stadium may have sponsorship.

Lip Man 1
08-16-2006, 04:10 PM
Four decks in right field? Interesting.

Lip

TheOldRoman
08-16-2006, 04:29 PM
They should be ashamed for replacing such an historical ballpark. We have such a disposable society, it's really sad that we don't care about our own history. No, the historical ballpark was destroyed in the 70's. Yankee Stadim reopened with drastic renovations, including changed dimensions, dropping the field 15 feet, covering up the brick on the outside, and changing the classic grand entrance to some garbage that looks like a space pod. Yankee Stadium has been an overrated garbage dump for the last 30 years. It can't be replaced soon enough.

gobears1987
08-16-2006, 04:36 PM
they are going to have to get rid of Error Rod to complete this stadium esp after his 21st error. What a hoser.Let them keep ERod and his $25 million annual salary. The only way they dump him is if they eat $15 mil a year of that contract.

nysox35
08-16-2006, 04:58 PM
Let them keep ERod and his $25 million annual salary. The only way they dump him is if they eat $15 mil a year of that contract.

Believe it or not, Texas is paying a good amount of it. I don't think the Yankees pay more that $15-16 million.

itsnotrequired
08-16-2006, 05:02 PM
Believe it or not, Texas is paying a good amount of it. I don't think the Yankees pay more that $15-16 million.

The Rangers are paying $6 million of his salary this season.

nysox35
08-16-2006, 05:07 PM
The yankees are paying ARod a total of $105 million over 7 years, averaging $15 million a year.

"Texas pays a total of 67M of his salaries from 2004 to 10: 3M in 2004, 6M in both 2005 and 2006, 7M in 2007, 8M in 2008, 7M in 2009 and 6M in 2010"
The total he is owed from 2004 to 2010 is $172 million, leaving the Yankees to pay $105 / 7 = $15 per year.

itsnotrequired
08-16-2006, 05:16 PM
The yankees are paying ARod a total of $105 million over 7 years, averaging $15 million a year.

"Texas pays a total of 67M of his salaries from 2004 to 10: 3M in 2004, 6M in both 2005 and 2006, 7M in 2007, 8M in 2008, 7M in 2009 and 6M in 2010"
The total he is owed from 2004 to 2010 is $172 million, leaving the Yankees to pay $105 / 7 = $15 per year.

What's the deal with the "deferred payments" in ARod's contract that the Rangers need to make? This is something like $3.5 million a year from 2016-2025. That's nearly 30 years that the ARod contract will be directly impacting the Ranger organization.

:o:

Over By There
08-16-2006, 05:25 PM
No, the historical ballpark was destroyed in the 70's. Yankee Stadim reopened with drastic renovations, including changed dimensions, dropping the field 15 feet, covering up the brick on the outside, and changing the classic grand entrance to some garbage that looks like a space pod. Yankee Stadium has been an overrated garbage dump for the last 30 years. It can't be replaced soon enough.

Totally agree - I've been there and it's overrated as a historic place. I'm sure the new stadium will be an improvement.

ewokpelts
08-16-2006, 05:58 PM
Let them keep ERod and his $25 million annual salary. The only way they dump him is if they eat $15 mil a year of that contract.the rangers are eating 9 million of it already.....

TheKittle
08-16-2006, 05:58 PM

Sorry but the mid 70's renovation totally changed Yankee Stadium. The site maybe the same but the Yankee Stadium right now is nothing more than a 1970's style stadium.

MisterB
08-16-2006, 06:01 PM
Based on the drawings, it will look a lot like the old stadium, but cleaned up and modernized. Can't see a Monument Park in this drawing, though.

The monuments will be behind the CF fence in front of the "Batter's Eye Club" (that big box in dead center - I wonder how they'll get away with having all that nice, reflective glass as a batting background)

cbotnyse
08-16-2006, 06:02 PM
ESPN is having a 2 hour special on this tonight.

Does anyone else not really care about this? I'm over it.

Chicken Dinner
08-16-2006, 06:19 PM
May it take 100 years before a World Series is played there.

goon
08-16-2006, 06:30 PM
wow for a billion dollars it doesnt look all that great. i'm sure it will be extremely spacious and the seating will be fantastic, but as far as the asthetics... meh. the size and what's inside the park looks interesting with the walkway under the stands and what could possible direct access to a train in the outfield.

kinda reminds me of the soldier field with the columns on the outside and the giant metal spaceship/hat sitting on top of it. aka: a total clash of architecture and design.

gbergman
08-16-2006, 06:52 PM
That structure in Dead center is going to cause some problems as it will obstruct views for the seats along it looking towards right field or left.

gbergman
08-16-2006, 06:53 PM
What year is this set to open? if possibl;e i would like to visit the current stadium before its torn down.

DSpivack
08-16-2006, 08:47 PM
What year is this set to open? if possibl;e i would like to visit the current stadium before its torn down.

Scheduled to open 2009.

bigfoot
08-16-2006, 09:42 PM
May it take 100 years before a World Series is played there.

Why are you in such a hurry?

batmanZoSo
08-16-2006, 10:47 PM
The monuments will be behind the CF fence in front of the "Batter's Eye Club" (that big box in dead center - I wonder how they'll get away with having all that nice, reflective glass as a batting background)
They're the Yankees, they get away with anything they want. :wink:

That place looks pretty sweet. It's a fine tribute to the old park, although you can't really tell too much from a cartoon--those kinds of renderings are never all that accurate to the final product. The place looks like a huge moneymaker though. All that room for skyboxes, luxury whatnots, restaurants, ****in rollercoasters under the outfield seats...

I like it better than the Mets' Camden ripoff. The most blatant ripoff to date, which says a lot.

PeteWard
08-16-2006, 11:13 PM

Tell that to Reinsdorf!

Baby Fisk
08-17-2006, 09:29 AM
I like it better than the Mets' Camden ripoff. The most blatant ripoff to date, which says a lot.
Oriole Park at Flushing looks disappointing, based on the drawings released so far.

http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/2248/mets700lm6.jpg

kobo
08-17-2006, 09:54 AM
Ok, does anyone know how much the Yankees had to pay for the land to build the new stadium on? That has to take up a huge chunk of this $1 billion pricetag.

Paulwny
08-17-2006, 12:06 PM
The yankmee propaganda machine in full swing. I'm really gagging over this:
from WCBS-TV :
(CBS) BRONX Call it “The House That Jeter & A-Rod Built.” :angry: Construction officially began on a new Yankee Stadium Wednesday.

Baby Fisk
08-17-2006, 12:11 PM
The yankmee propaganda machine in full swing. I'm really gagging over this:
from WCBS-TV :
(CBS) BRONX Call it “The House That Jeter & A-Rod Built.” :angry: Construction officially began on a new Yankee Stadium Wednesday.
That's laughable, considering that A-Rod is routinely booed at home and likely to be an Ex-Yankee sooner than he's likely to become a Beloved Yankee. Jeter is understandable. He'll end up in monument park and his number 2 will be retired.

jdm2662
08-17-2006, 12:14 PM
That's laughable, considering that A-Rod is routinely booed at home and likely to be an Ex-Yankee sooner than he's likely to become a Beloved Yankee. Jeter is understandable. He'll end up in monument park and his number 2 will be retired.

Exactly. You got to love how stupid the media is sometimes (well pretty much all the time...). Why not Jeter and Bernie? Bernie's been around forever, and seems to be the most popular player on the Yankees.

greenpeach
08-17-2006, 12:55 PM

The stadium that they play in now isn't The House That Ruth built. It's the house that Mayor Lindsay remodeled. The city just ended up building a brand new stadium on the exact plot of land. Yankee Stadium died in 1973. R.I.P.

DoItForDanPasqua
08-17-2006, 04:42 PM
:rolleyes:

The basic structure is over 80 years old which I'm guessing is DOUBLE its original design life. Disposable, indeed...

The city building inspectors say that the structure is sound and likely will be for decades.

PushnThaEscalade
08-17-2006, 05:10 PM
While i love tradition in baseball, dont confuse it with progress. The Cubs and Red Sox should have had new versions of their existing parks by now.

ewokpelts
08-17-2006, 06:40 PM
The city building inspectors say that the structure is sound and likely will be for decades.yeah, cuz it's only 30 years old

Trav
08-18-2006, 06:22 AM
The city building inspectors say that the structure is sound and likely will be for decades.

Well that sounds familiar. Only when they were talking about Old Comiskey it was after JR said there was no saving it. Ok, maybe not decades but they said it was ok at the time.

Paulwny
08-18-2006, 10:04 AM
No one is seeing the big picture, due to the low number of luxury suites King George has condemned Yankmee stadium as unfit for mlb games.
More Luxury Suites = more $$$$ = a yankmee team where every player on the team will earn > $10 million.
Ya just gotta love King George for looking out for mlb interests.
:angry:

MadetoOrta
08-18-2006, 10:15 AM
Having just returned from vacation where I toured Fenway Park, the thought of tearing down Yankee Stadium is heart breaking. Of all the teams in sports that DON'T need to build a new stadium to increase revenue it's the Yankees. By the way, if the NYY can tear down Yankee Stadium do you think for a second that the Cubune Company wouldn't tear down Wrigley Field? How valuable is the real estate at Clark and Addison? Build a 50,000 seat replica in the suburbs, keep all the parking $, concession $ and 3 levels of suites? It's not far fetched.

wdelaney72
08-18-2006, 11:37 AM
This has been going on in ALL of the major sports. I could care less about the historical aspects of these stadiums. They're buildings. The owners can do whatever the hell the want with them. The fact of the matter is there is ONE driving factor behind the new stadiums and that is money. Period. The skybox trend is nothing new and will continue to drive professional sports until ALL of the teams have new stadiums that bring in the maximum amount of revenue. I have no problem with this, except for the fact that ALL of them hold their respective tax payers hostage and these tax payers end up footiing a large (if not the entire) portion of the construction costs.

Fenway and Wrigley WILL eventually be torn down. It's inevitable. These new stadiums just bring in too much money for anyone to care if a stadium is "historical".

spiffie
08-18-2006, 12:36 PM
Having just returned from vacation where I toured Fenway Park, the thought of tearing down Yankee Stadium is heart breaking. Of all the teams in sports that DON'T need to build a new stadium to increase revenue it's the Yankees. By the way, if the NYY can tear down Yankee Stadium do you think for a second that the Cubune Company wouldn't tear down Wrigley Field? How valuable is the real estate at Clark and Addison? Build a 50,000 seat replica in the suburbs, keep all the parking $, concession $ and 3 levels of suites? It's not far fetched.
And watch attendance plummet. All the yuppies and trixies who fill up that stadium are not about to make a 45 minute drive to the new Wrigley Field - Naperville. The whole reason they draw regardless of the product they put on the field is because of the neighborhood and the proximity to tens of thousands of young, upwardly mobile alcoholics looking for a place to drink and scope out chicks/dudes.

itsnotrequired
08-18-2006, 12:38 PM
And watch attendance plummet. All the yuppies and trixies who fill up that stadium are not about to make a 45 minute drive to the new Wrigley Field - Naperville. The whole reason they draw regardless of the product they put on the field is because of the neighborhood and the proximity to tens of thousands of young, upwardly mobile alcoholics looking for a place to drink and scope out chicks/dudes.

I thought they were popular because of their winning ways?

Foulke You
08-18-2006, 12:58 PM
Yep, that is why if they ever do build a new stadium, it will likely be on the exact same site as the current park. They could raze Wrigley and build a cozy Wrigley replica that seats 42000 complete with luxury boxes. The Cubs would have to play elsewhere for a half season. Perhaps Miller Park or *gasp...choke* US Cellular Field.

itsnotrequired
08-18-2006, 01:16 PM
Yep, that is why if they ever do build a new stadium, it will likely be on the exact same site as the current park. They could raze Wrigley and build a cozy Wrigley replica that seats 42000 complete with luxury boxes. The Cubs would have to play elsewhere for a half season. Perhaps Miller Park or *gasp...choke* US Cellular Field.

I say let them play at The Cell. Talk about a cash cow...