PDA

View Full Version : Another Reason to HATE the Twins

MadetoOrta
08-16-2006, 10:10 AM
Just back from out of town and was surprised no one ripped into Morneau's comments in the USA Today last week that this years Tigers team is far superior to last year's White Sox. "The White Sox got every break." Does anyone recall any Twinkie giving us any credit last year? I hate those guys.

batmanZoSo
08-16-2006, 10:12 AM
Yeah we got so many breaks, we were able to go 11-1 in the playoffs. Something only one team has ever done. Yawn...

It's just jealous trash-talking, which we hear every year from some whiney dope in this division. It's stupid to even give it the time of day.

Chicken Dinner
08-16-2006, 10:13 AM
Who the **** cares about what Justin Morneau says.

cleanwsox
08-16-2006, 10:17 AM
Morneau, Dmitri Young, etc. Still we are the only team to have ever won the World Series out of the AL Central. To that I say, prove me something before you open your damn mouth.

spiffie
08-16-2006, 10:19 AM
Who's Justin Morneau?

If there was a shade of teal so light as to be only the tiniest hint of sarcasm, it would be used there.

DumpJerry
08-16-2006, 10:22 AM
When we see them this Friday, Jenks will remedy the situation. I hear he has no trouble hitting 100 indoors.

This shows what a tool Morneau is-this is bulletin board material.

Jerko
08-16-2006, 10:25 AM
Wow, the Twins have a big mouth jagoff first baseman? Who woulda thunk????

LuvSox
08-16-2006, 10:26 AM
Wow, the Twins have a big mouth jagoff first baseman? Who woulda thunk????

A fine Minnesota tradition!

TheOldRoman
08-16-2006, 10:46 AM
Well, I hope Detroit hears this quote and remembers it. While they are sitting at home watching the ALCS, they can know that they were the better team. Thing didn't go their way just because they didn't "catch all the breaks" like having 4 aces and a lights out closer.
Detroit is going to be really sad at getting eliminated so early in the playoffs - after getting caught for the division and settling for the WildCard, but at least they can know that Justin Morneau thinks they were better than last year's World Champions.

kitekrazy
08-16-2006, 10:53 AM
Well, I hope Detroit hears this quote and remembers it. While they are sitting at home watching the ALCS, they can know that they were the better team.

There's still plenty of baseball left before making that comment. They lost 5 in a row and started a 2 game win streak against Boston. It seems like the only way for the Sox to gain ground is playing them head to head.

CaptainBallz
08-16-2006, 10:53 AM
I just find it hilarious that the Sox couldn't buy an ounce of credit last season for what they were accomplishing, while this year, everybody wants to praise the hell out of Detroit for doing things similarly while STILL attempting to discredit the 2005 Sox!!!

Just keep the smack talk coming...please.

ShoelessJoeS
08-16-2006, 10:55 AM
Just back from out of town and was surprised no one ripped into Morneau's comments in the USA Today last week that this years Tigers team is far superior to last year's White Sox. "The White Sox got every break." Does anyone recall any Twinkie giving us any credit last year? I hate those guys.Far superior? Morneau is a complete bozo. The Tigers will not even make it to the World Series, let alone win the damn thing. Book it.

batmanZoSo
08-16-2006, 10:58 AM
I just find it hilarious that the Sox couldn't buy an ounce of credit last season for what they were accomplishing, while this year, everybody wants to praise the hell out of Detroit for doing things similarly while STILL attempting to discredit the 2005 Sox!!!

Yeah, you don't hear the word fluke with them this year. Never mind that they sucked for the previous twenty, while before our great '05 season we'd been .500 or over every year this decade.

SOXintheBURGH
08-16-2006, 11:01 AM
A big, fat, whopping....

Are you ready...??

:whocares

buehrle4cy05
08-16-2006, 11:09 AM
Justin Morneau would know a thing or two about getting breaks and winning a World Series.

Tekijawa
08-16-2006, 11:16 AM
He probably went on to say, "The bad thing for the Tigers is that they aren't better than the 2006 White Sox..."

MadetoOrta
08-16-2006, 11:17 AM
This is the kind of BS bulletin board material that windsock Moronotti and others in the media should use to fuel the flames, sell some papers and - I hope - put a chip on the collective shoulders of the White Sox.

MushMouth
08-16-2006, 11:20 AM
Just brushed away a little foam at the mouth while thinkin about this weekends series. I'm gonna be in Vegas tho, so I can't foam too much.

Sad
08-16-2006, 11:28 AM
yeah... like the Tigers haven't had their share of "breaks" this year...

puh-lease... :kukoo:

Britt Burns
08-16-2006, 11:35 AM
No, Justin, the Sox made every break last year. Let's see your chunky butt hustling to first base on a dropped third strike when the other team is already leaving the field.

PorkChopExpress
08-16-2006, 11:41 AM
No, Justin, the Sox made every break last year. Let's see your chunky butt hustling to first base on a dropped third strike when the other team is already leaving the field.

Speaking of which, I wonder what AJ's reaction to Morneau's comment was seeing as he was always the Minnesota jagbag taking shots at the Sox when he was there.

kevin57
08-16-2006, 12:03 PM
Like the rest of the Twinkies, Justin is just mad that he has to play games in that ugly, horrific stadium they've got.

the gooch
08-16-2006, 12:55 PM
Speaking of which, I wonder what AJ's reaction to Morneau's comment was seeing as he was always the Minnesota jagbag taking shots at the Sox when he was there.
sadly, i dont remember what aj said while he was in minny. i know we all hated him then, and he probably did some talking, but what was it that he said?

crash68
08-16-2006, 01:03 PM
Hi everyone, forgive me for being a troll, but I gotta ask:
Did Morneau really say anything at all? If there's a link, I'd like to see it. Morneau is about the blandest guy on the planet, so I find it hard to believe that he would say anything remotely controversial. Since when does bulletin-board fodder take a week before anyone hears about it?

(And for the record: To compare this years Tigers so far to the 2005 White Sox is ludicrous. All the Tigers have achieved so far is a successful team through August 15. Period. The White Sox of '05 were one of the best teams in history, as evidenced where it counts, in October.)

(And also for the record, I like this site. You guys have great passion, and an excellent forum. I'm jealous - Twins fans don't have anything similar that's a tenth as good.)

chisoxfanatic
08-16-2006, 01:16 PM
When we see them this Friday, Jenks will remedy the situation. I hear he has no trouble hitting 100 indoors.

Perhaps Jenks can leave a PERMANENT reminder when he comes to bat with two outs in the bottom of the nineth with the Sox already leading by six. :D:

nedlug
08-16-2006, 01:26 PM
forgive me for being a troll

That's trolling? Seems to me that that post (don't know about any other ones out there) is an interesting take on the situation, and isn't trolling at all.

Was the 'breaks' comment taken out of context? Where's the USA Today article?

tacosalbarojas
08-16-2006, 01:45 PM
A fine Minnesota tradition!And both with at least four vowels in their last name.

thomas35forever
08-16-2006, 01:49 PM
Did Morneau really say anything at all? If there's a link, I'd like to see it. Morneau is about the blandest guy on the planet, so I find it hard to believe that he would say anything remotely controversial. Since when does bulletin-board fodder take a week before anyone hears about it?

(And for the record: To compare this years Tigers so far to the 2005 White Sox is ludicrous. All the Tigers have achieved so far is a successful team through August 15. Period. The White Sox of '05 were one of the best teams in history, as evidenced where it counts, in October.)

(And also for the record, I like this site. You guys have great passion, and an excellent forum. I'm jealous - Twins fans don't have anything similar that's a tenth as good.)

Thanks for complimenting us. If you've ever heard of a poster named Timberwolf anywhere, you don't wanna be like him. That's all I'll say about that.

TheOldRoman
08-16-2006, 01:57 PM

Just keep the smack talk coming...please. 100% Dead on. Last year the media and players from other teams trashed us the whole year. They said we were a fluke, we would fall apart, and we would never keep it up. They kept saying it even when we had a 15 game lead. This year, all the media did was praise Detroit. Honestly, from the first week of the season the mediots were falling all over themselves to say that Detroit was for real.
2005 - "up next, we will tell you why the White Sox are a fluke, and will not come close to the playoffs."
2006 - "up next, we will tell you why the resurgent Tigers team is here to stay."

As for Morneau, he is a whiney bitch. This is just another example of the hatred and inferiority complex the Twins organization has toward the White Sox. Even when they won those three division (by default, because the Sox didn't want them enough), they were still obsessed with the Sox. They talked trash nonstop about us. To the Twins, the Sox are the Yankees. Even when we had a $50 million payroll 3 years ago, we were the "evil big city huge payroll team who can only buy wins." They need to get over themselves. The only thing that would make Morneau's rant complete is the old Twins standby "The White Sox need to stop talking about us, because we could care less about them.":rolleyes:

JohnTucker0814
08-16-2006, 01:57 PM

Welcome to our site! Nah, I don't think your trolling, trolling would be to come in here and say "Sox Suck" etc. Nothing wrong with being a part of this website. There is a lot of baseball talk that does not revolve around our passion for the Sox!

Welcome aboard and please don't be shy to post here, just please follow the guidlines listed at the top of each board.

Can we have Mauer and Santana? haha

PorkChopExpress
08-16-2006, 02:18 PM
sadly, i dont remember what aj said while he was in minny. i know we all hated him then, and he probably did some talking, but what was it that he said?

If I recall correctly, it had something to do with the White Sox having absolutely no team chemistry and playing without spirit. Mind you, AJ is my favorite player on this team right now. But when he was a Twin I couldn't stand the guy.

maurice
08-16-2006, 02:31 PM
The Sox were good last year because they got all the breaks?!? Then why are they good this year too?

I guess Moroneau must have been really unlucky in 2005 (.239 AVE, .741 SLG, 490 ABs) and really lucky now.
:rolleyes:

lakeviewsoxfan
08-16-2006, 02:34 PM
It wasnt AJ in Minny it was that piece of **** Doug Minkewtwicz or however the hell you spell his name.

AnkleSox
08-16-2006, 02:38 PM
I hope Morneau bats below .200 next year so everyone can call his 2006 season a fluke. ****in ***** mother****er.

Foulke You
08-16-2006, 02:39 PM

Morneau did indeed say it. He was quoted after the Twins salvaged the finale against Detroit last week. Here is the exerpt of Morneau praising the Tigers from usatoday.com, along with a link:

"To me, they're better than the White Sox last year," Twins first baseman Justin Morneau (http://fantasybaseball.usatoday.com/content/player.asp?sport=MLB&id=3602) said. "The White Sox were winning a lot of one-run games. It seemed like they got every kind of break. Just everything went their way.
"But this team can do more. They can beat you in a 2-1 game by outpitching you. They can win a 9-8 game outhitting you. They've got everything going for them."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/games/2006-08-08-twins-tigers_x.htm

crash68
08-16-2006, 03:12 PM
Morneau did indeed say it. He was quoted after the Twins salvaged the finale against Detroit last week. Here is the exerpt of Morneau praising the Tigers from usatoday.com, along with a link:

"To me, they're better than the White Sox last year," Twins first baseman Justin Morneau (http://fantasybaseball.usatoday.com/content/player.asp?sport=MLB&id=3602) said. "The White Sox were winning a lot of one-run games. It seemed like they got every kind of break. Just everything went their way.
"But this team can do more. They can beat you in a 2-1 game by outpitching you. They can win a 9-8 game outhitting you. They've got everything going for them."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/games/2006-08-08-twins-tigers_x.htm

So he did; I stand corrected. Stupid thing for him to say...

Iwritecode
08-16-2006, 03:30 PM

What a moron. I just looked. The Sox won 3 games 1-0 last year. 11 games 2-1, including three against the Twins! They also won game 2 of the ALCS 2-1 and gee, what was the final score of the last game of the post-season last year? :rolleyes: They also won their fair share of slugfests with their offense as well as they hit 200 homeruns.

By contrast, Detroit has won three 1-0 games and four 2-1 games. They are currently 9th in runs scored with 610. Only 15 runs better than the Twins.

The Sox lead everyone with 672. :cool:

Considering the way the Sox have man-handled the Tigers the past couple of years I'd feel pretty good putting either the 05 or the 06 team up against the 06 Tigers in 7-game series.

Sox-o-matic
08-17-2006, 03:20 AM
Yeah, a team with three fifths of its rotation comprised of rookies destined for arm trouble and a cameraman assaulter is so much better than a rotation made up of 5 solid veteran pitchers went out there and stomped ass.

BTW, Mr. Jones the closer makes Shingo Takatsu look like Dennis freakin' Eckersley. Our bullpen was better and our defense was better. The only areas of the '06 Tigers that are better than the '05 Sox are the bench and the offense, and our offense last year really wasn't that bad at all.

But, none of it really matters because its nothing but jabber from a guy who will spend the next few years sitting home in October.

Grzegorz
08-17-2006, 04:42 AM
Who cares what this clown says; words are cheap.

The White Sox have a great opportunity to have Morneau eat those words.

Words to the White Sox: show up in Minny with malice in mind and break their collective spirits.

CommanderPudge72
08-17-2006, 09:05 AM
Personally, I did not need more reasons to hate the Twins....

Jerko
08-17-2006, 06:03 PM
I know I have seen the Twins in person at the Cell a few times this year, but besides that, do they EVER play road games????????? They're at home every time I tune them in. :angry: (I know they do, but it just seems like they don't)

Bill Naharodny
08-17-2006, 06:18 PM
It wasnt AJ in Minny it was that piece of **** Doug Minkewtwicz or however the hell you spell his name.

And don't forget Jacque Jones.

soxinem1
08-17-2006, 08:54 PM

Remember, though, this carries back to Ray Durham's comments a few years ago. They are not cutting us down any worse than the Sox have done in the past.

But I wouldn't be suprised if Morneau gets dumped on his behind in the upcoming series.....

Jurr
08-17-2006, 09:09 PM
I don't take it as an absolute slap in the face like our guys used to spew at the Twins.

The Tigers are playing their asses off, and they've got a special thing going. The White Sox played awesome baseball, won 99 games, but did have a big let up in August and early September. The Tigers have done no such thing.

The big HOWEVER, though, is coming quickly. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY is going to run through the playoffs like the Sox did. I think the '99 Yanks are tied with us for that mark, if I'm not mistaken. I somewhat believe the Schuerholz remark in his book about the 162 game season being the big accomplishment in sports, but you've gotta be damn good to have a great season and also have that great postseason, where all bets are off.

The Tigers have played stellar baseball, save that one team they can't figure out (ahem ahem...). Morneau is very impressed with them, and he has every right to be.

In my opinion, the Tigers are a great ballclub. They haven't proven A DAMN THING yet. They've gotta bristle up and do what the Pale Hose did last year, and I think the '06 'hose are going to have a big say in that Detroit postseason outcome. Bring them on. Oh, and here's to the '01 Mariners.

GO SOX.

PKalltheway
08-18-2006, 12:07 PM
:ozzie Who's Justin Morneau? Who the **** is Justin Morneau?! He's a piece of ****! Tell him to shut the **** up and go play for the Minnesota Twins! He thinks he has an enemy; no, he has a big one now!

drewcifer
08-18-2006, 12:12 PM
Well, I hope Detroit hears this quote and remembers it. While they are sitting at home watching the ALCS, they can know that they were the better team. Thing didn't go their way just because they didn't "catch all the breaks" like having 4 aces and a lights out closer.
Detroit is going to be really sad at getting eliminated so early in the playoffs - after getting caught for the division and settling for the WildCard, but at least they can know that Justin Morneau thinks they were better than last year's World Champions.

Gold. :nod:

caulfield12
08-18-2006, 12:41 PM
The Tigers' offense from this year is better than last year's Sox team, but their pitching is about 0.1 behind in ERA now.

Last year's team might have been less talented, but there's no arguing with the end result.

In all honesty, I would be tired of the White Sox if I played for the Twins as well, because our attitude was always that we had the better team on paper and talent, but we never proved it in head-to-head match-ups with them, especially in 2003 down the stretch, but 2004 as well.

Our attitude in 2002 was that THEY were flukes, and we almost were offended...like how could THOSE guys beat us? If it wasn't Lou Ford or Denny Hocking or LeCroy...now it's Tyner, Bartlett and Punto. You match up the line-ups against each other and the Twins would only have starters at 1B (Morneau over Konerko, which you could still argue) and Mauer over AJ. Some would undoubtedly prefer Hunter over Anderson, but 85-90% of Sox fans would like Brian at this point in their careers. Bartlett against Uribe would also provoke a good argument either way.

caulfield12
08-18-2006, 12:43 PM
I would favor either the A's or Angels over Detroit at this point, because I think Detroit's line-up will be shut down when it's crunch time.