PDA

View Full Version : ESPN.com poll question

Huisj
02-21-2002, 08:58 PM
Right now on their baseball page is a poll for which injury plagued star will have the best year this year, and one of them is Thomas (in last place). Here's how it looks right now:

Nomar Garciaparra, 33.6%
Ken Griffey Jr., 28.2%
Pedro Martinez, 21.9%
Mo Vaughn, 9.7%
Frank Thomas, 6.4%

Looks like not many people even really remember what kind of player Frank can be if he's healthy. Sure, it's not a given that he'll have a huge year this year, but if he's healthy, I don't know what would keep him from being able to play like he did in 2000. I wonder how many fans out there even realize how good he was in 2000. He's a forgotten star to many it seems--a lot of my friends who like baseball, when they hear his name, they pause and say something like "oh yeah, well he used to be good, but he sucks now." oh well, i'm rambling . . .

czalgosz
02-21-2002, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Huisj
Right now on their baseball page is a poll for which injury plagued star will have the best year this year, and one of them is Thomas (in last place). Here's how it looks right now:

Nomar Garciaparra, 33.6%
Ken Griffey Jr., 28.2%
Pedro Martinez, 21.9%
Mo Vaughn, 9.7%
Frank Thomas, 6.4%

Looks like not many people even really remember what kind of player Frank can be if he's healthy. Sure, it's not a given that he'll have a huge year this year, but if he's healthy, I don't know what would keep him from being able to play like he did in 2000. I wonder how many fans out there even realize how good he was in 2000. He's a forgotten star to many it seems--a lot of my friends who like baseball, when they hear his name, they pause and say something like "oh yeah, well he used to be good, but he sucks now." oh well, i'm rambling . . .

Well, Thomas is a better hitter than Vaughn any day of the week. Griffey has always been injury prone.

Pedro Martinez will break down soon enough - pitchers with his frame tend not to last very long, and he's pitching fewer innings every year. It's a shame, because he's probably one of the best ever, but it is becoming apparent that he's going to slowly fade into the night.

I can see Nomar easily winning comeback player this year, though... he's for real.

HawkDJ
02-21-2002, 09:06 PM
I don't think he will have a better year then Pedro or Nomar. I do think he will do better then Griffey and Vaughn, so I would place big Frank right in the middle.

Soxheads
02-21-2002, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
I don't think he will have a better year then Pedro or Nomar. I do think he will do better then Griffey and Vaughn, so I would place big Frank right in the middle.

I see it Griffey
Pedro
Hurt
Nomar
Vaughn

RedPinStripes
02-21-2002, 10:55 PM
Remember this is the east coast basball network. Of corse Nomar was going to win that poll.

:boston
"It was my idea"

dugwood31
02-21-2002, 11:09 PM
I've got:

Nomar
Big Hurt
Griffey
Vaughn

I have a friend who's from New York (a Mets fan) and has lived in San Diego for the last few years and he scoffed when I said Frank's hall of fame material. I showed him the stats and he was stunned - he had no idea. People don't know how good he is/has been. I think it's because people around the country know very little about the Sox and that Frank, even in 93-94 was not particularly marketable, for some reason.

Iguana775
02-21-2002, 11:20 PM
3 years ago, frank was a shu-in for the hall. but his 'off' seasons have hurt (pun intended) him a little...just a little. he needs to come back and get at least .310/90+ rbi/runs/BB's and 25+ homers the rest of his time in a uni to be a 1st ballot famer.

Daver
02-21-2002, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Iguana775
3 years ago, frank was a shu-in for the hall. but his 'off' seasons have hurt (pun intended) him a little...just a little. he needs to come back and get at least .310/90+ rbi/runs/BB's and 25+ homers the rest of his time in a uni to be a 1st ballot famer.

He better do it for about four years or so to be first ballot,remember Frank is a DH,and the 70-90 year old men that hold the majority of the vote do not recognize that position.

dugwood31
02-21-2002, 11:26 PM
He'd have to fall off the face of the earth. He's already got 350 HR's, nearly 2000 hits, and 1200 rbi's. 400, 2500, and 1500 should get him in, no?

Iguana775
02-21-2002, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by daver

He better do it for about four years or so to be first ballot,remember Frank is a DH,and the 70-90 year old men that hold the majority of the vote do not recognize that position.

:hitless

'I'd be a shu-in if I was a DH!!"

Daver
02-21-2002, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by dugwood31
He'd have to fall off the face of the earth. He's already got 350 HR's, nearly 2000 hits, and 1200 rbi's. 400, 2500, and 1500 should get him in, no?

Ask Harold Baines that question,he will be the first player to post 1500 RBI and not make the hall.

Iguana775
02-21-2002, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by daver

Ask Harold Baines that question,he will be the first player to post 1500 RBI and not make the hall.

you could be right, daver....but then again, what do YOU know!!?? LOL..... :D:

dugwood31
02-21-2002, 11:35 PM
If Frank plays 23 years to get those numbers, you have a point. But Frank will get there much faster than St. Harold.

Winning a championship or two would help his cause, also. Did I just write that? :o:

AsInWreck
02-22-2002, 04:17 PM
nomar's injury would seem to me to be more difficult to make a strong comeback-hitting's all in the wrists, isn't it/i'd say frank or griffey would be the most likely for a strong comeback-as for frank's hof chances he's also got 2 mvp's to his credit

doublem23
02-22-2002, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2

One can also make a point that Frank will be on one of the better teams in the league next year, and his success will directly affect the success of the Sox.

Griffey and the Reds? Cellar dwellers... At best, 3rd in the NL Central, but more realistically 4th or 5th...

Pedro, Garciaparra and the Red Sox? Yeah, they're good, but the Yankees are the preseason #1 team in the American League, if not all of baseball in the universe.

Vaughn.. What team did he get traded to? I forget....

Either way, I think Frank and the Sox have the best shot at being in the postseason, while Red Sox have a good shot as well, but more likely as the Wild Card. And of course, I don't know where Vaughn is... Mets? Why does that ring a bell... But it seems like everyone spent at least a few minutes on the Mets this off-season.. Oh well... When do those baseball preview mags hit the shelves? I really need to brush up on my baseball.

WinningUgly!
02-22-2002, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

One can also make a point that Frank will be on one of the better teams in the league next year, and his success will directly affect the success of the Sox.

Griffey and the Reds? Cellar dwellers... At best, 3rd in the NL Central, but more realistically 4th or 5th...

Pedro, Garciaparra and the Red Sox? Yeah, they're good, but the Yankees are the preseason #1 team in the American League, if not all of baseball in the universe.

Vaughn.. What team did he get traded to? I forget....

Either way, I think Frank and the Sox have the best shot at being in the postseason, while Red Sox have a good shot as well, but more likely as the Wild Card. And of course, I don't know where Vaughn is... Mets? Why does that ring a bell... But it seems like everyone spent at least a few minutes on the Mets this off-season.. Oh well... When do those baseball preview mags hit the shelves? I really need to brush up on my baseball.

Mo went to the Mets. They should be pretty solid this year.

czalgosz
02-22-2002, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

Mo went to the Mets. They should be pretty solid this year.

I'm predicting the Mets will shock a lot of people by finishing third in their division. In some ways, they are worse than they were last year. Their moves were calculated to draw fans to the ballpark, not to help them win.

Jerry_Manuel
02-22-2002, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by czalgosz
I'm predicting the Mets will shock a lot of people by finishing third in their division.

I assume you have the Braves in first, who is 2nd? The Phillies?

czalgosz
02-23-2002, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

I assume you have the Braves in first, who is 2nd? The Phillies?

Yup. The Phillies, unlike the Mets, have a decent starter or two.

dugwood31
02-23-2002, 01:02 AM
Burnitz for Rusch could be a disaster for the Mets. They could even finish behind Florida if those young pitchers break out.