PDA

View Full Version : Placido Polanco Separates Left Shoulder

Chez
08-16-2006, 07:45 AM
Tigers second baseman injured making a spectacular catch -- headed to DL possibly our for season (as per MLB.com). Obviously a big loss for Detroit. Tigers moved Pudge to second to finish last night's game.

Deuce
08-16-2006, 08:39 AM
Injuries suck, no matter what team you play for. Get well, Placido... but don't hurry back.

Madvora
08-16-2006, 08:42 AM
Stuff like this never seems to help anyway. The Twins went absolutely crazy after losing Torii Hunter

Scottiehaswheels
08-16-2006, 08:52 AM
I hope its nothing serious as you always want to play a team at its best but in this case who does Detroit play at 2B? Call up a minor leaguer and potentially burn an option year with 15 days to go before Sept 1st callups? Do they play with 24 guys on the roster until then?

Chez
08-16-2006, 09:01 AM
I hope its nothing serious as you always want to play a team at its best but in this case who does Detroit play at 2B? Call up a minor leaguer and potentially burn an option year with 15 days to go before Sept 1st callups? Do they play with 24 guys on the roster until then?

I assume Omar Infante will get most of the starts at second. They'll call someone up to take Polanco's spot. They're in the thick of a playoff race -- no time to be worrying about option years.

Chicken Dinner
08-16-2006, 10:03 AM
Ramon Santiago has been called up from AAA.

Deuce
08-16-2006, 10:03 AM
Stuff like this never seems to help anyway. The Twins went absolutely crazy after losing Torii HunterThat is because Torii hurts the team off the field more than he helps the team on the field. Placido is integral, especially with an inexperianced 1st baseman and a 3rd baseman who can't help but commit errors. As of now, the only solid infielder they have is Carlos Guillen... which is awesome to have, but may not be enough.

Deuce

Rocky Soprano
08-16-2006, 10:36 AM
Word out of Detroit is that Polanco is done for the year. I have a friend from there and he said Ivan R. was on the radio and he said it.

TheDarkGundam
08-16-2006, 10:45 AM
This is really truly a shame.
I feel really bad for him, the tiggers and their fans.

Maybe that should be in teal...
:wink:

russ99
08-16-2006, 10:51 AM
Wow. That's a huge blow. He's been a sparkplug for them both hitting and in the field. Get well soon, Placido. Hopefully Detroit will still make the playoffs - as the wild card team!!! :D:

AuroraSoxFan
08-16-2006, 10:58 AM
That's too bad. Guy seems like a solid player all the way around. Hope he can be back sometime in 06.

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-16-2006, 11:19 AM
That's too bad. Guy seems like a solid player all the way around. Hope he can be back sometime in 06.

Yeah. November 1.

hawkjt
08-16-2006, 12:07 PM
While I do not wish injuries on anyone, it is part of the game.

No one was sympathetic to the sox when Frank and Maggs went down in 04.

While I do respect Polanco and feel he is one of the toughest ''grinder'' hitters in their lineup, Infante is also good and I doubt they will miss a beat.

Watching I-Rod play second, he even looks small for a 2nd baseman!

I wonder how he will hold up in the last 6 weeks- he is painfully thin at this point and you have to wonder about his stamina down the stretch.

Holding on to win last nite had to be a big boost to their spirits, considering the circumstances. Tonite they need to lose to deflate their spirits heading into the texas series.

I want Mags back
08-16-2006, 12:10 PM
aww that just sucks

08-16-2006, 12:41 PM
That is because Torii hurts the team off the field more than he helps the team on the field. Placido is integral, especially with an inexperianced 1st baseman and a 3rd baseman who can't help but commit errors. As of now, the only solid infielder they have is Carlos Guillen... which is awesome to have, but may not be enough.

Deuce

Deuce,

Guillen has commited 21 errors so far this year....not telling you this to rub it in your face, because I had no idea either until they showed the stat on Saturday.

SoxSpeed22
08-16-2006, 01:54 PM
Polanco is a very good player and that's unfortunate that he had to be hurt. Now, time to do the merciless thing and take the division.

Deuce
08-18-2006, 06:40 AM
Guillen has commited 21 errors so far this year....not telling you this to rub it in your face, because I had no idea either until they showed the stat on Saturday.Thanks for the correction. I checked their stats before I posted my original post, but mixed up took the number of errors for him playing 1st base this year with those of playing SS.

Man, does Detroit's infield suck! I have no clue why every team in baseball isn't pounding these guys!!!

Tiger23
08-18-2006, 12:01 PM
Polanco was the perfect guy to lose. Omar Infante is a solid backup infielder, but asking him to take the place of Guillen in the lineup every day would be asking too much. He is a butcher at third base. He is not much of a step down from Polanco offensively or defensively.

That being said, it really sucks seeing Polanco go down, as you like to see the guys that the team there get rewarded. I feel horrible for him. I don't think we'll see another at bat from him this year.