PDA

View Full Version : *Official* And Runelvys Has Left The Building 8/15/06 Postgame Thread

thomas35forever
08-15-2006, 09:50 PM
Pitiful. Just pitiful.:angry:

BeviBall!
As a 4-2 winner. ***? Easily in the top 5 worst games of the 2000s.

It had it all... a dumbass fan, Cora and other such crappiness.

Madvora
I'm ****ing pissed!

Dan Mega
08-15-2006, 09:51 PM
Get em tomorrow.

soltrain21
Way to play like you are in a pennant race guys.

Pick it up tomorrow. That was awful.

Frankfan4life
So, we don't get the sweep. Let's win the series!

sox1970
08-15-2006, 09:52 PM
I hate to say it, tomorrow and Thursday are mus....oh nevermind.

samram
Congrats on the winning the division last night, Sox. You deserved to take it easy tonight. Oh, wait....

Maybe a little effort tomorrow night. I mean, hell, if you have to be at the stadium anyway, you may as well try.

WhiteSox1983
Wow.....:angry:

What happened with the stupid fan, i didnt get to watch the game.

BeviBall!
It wouldn't be that big of a deal had Detroit not won again. We are the only team that can beat them.

Riske looked good. That's all I got.

AnkleSox
08-15-2006, 09:53 PM
They abso-****in-lotuley have to take the next two. A championship team does NOT lose a game like this.

Patrick134
People need to chill out. teahan has been on fire against everyone, not just the sox. Get em tomorrow.

Madvora
The thought of giving games back is killing me. 6.5 seems so much bigger than 5.5 for some reason. However, this whole thing can be reversed tomorrow and we'll be right back where we were.

CLR01
We're finished, it's over.

Last person out hit the lights and pay the bill.

0o0o0

I wish I could think like that. Wait, no I don't.

batmanZoSo
That sucked. I'm gonna go punch **** until my arm gets tired, then go to bed!

Patrick134
They abso-****in-lotuley have to take the next two. A championship team does NOT lose a game like this.

Last years team lost plenty like this. Relax.

infohawk
08-15-2006, 09:54 PM
Well, from what I saw -- 5th inning on -- Hernandez pitched a terrific game. Some will blame the hitters entirely, but sometimes the hitters look bad because of the pitcher. Unfortunately he did it against us. It's tough to sweep a four game series anyway. It happens, get them tomorrow. On the plus side, it was nice to see Ozzie give Javy the quick hook after some balls were hit hard in the 6th. At least he kept the team in the game.

Green
Well that was terrible.

JB98
A poor performance in all facets. I'm very disappointed tonight. We've lost five games to the Royals this year. The Tigers have only lost one. Games like tonight are the reason we're in second place.

We play a lot of good teams in September. Frankly, I think we're better off that way. We play to the level of our competition.

AnkleSox
08-15-2006, 09:55 PM
People need to chill out. teahan has been on fire against everyone, not just the sox. Get em tomorrow.

Yes, Teahan has been on fire. That being said, his two run shot should not have been the difference when they're facing runelvys ****ing hernandez.

(the hostility is in no way directed towards you, however. :gulp: )

southsideirish71
Righties were hitting .322 off of Hernandez, and lefties were hitting .340. But of course that is when you are up there trying to hit the ball, not trying to hit home runs on every swing.

Nice effort in the 9th. The KC closer had a straight 87 mph fastball that he threw over the middle of the plate, and our guys were trying to launch every pitch over the fence.

Just throw changeups to our team, and they will swing themselves out of a game.

Pathetic. Detroit and Minny sweep the Royals. We have to fight tooth and claw against them and we lose games.

Patrick134
Well, from what I saw -- 5th inning on -- Hernandez pitched a terrific game. Some will blame the hitters entirely, but sometimes the hitters look bad because of the pitcher. Unfortunately he did it against us. It's tought to sweep a four game series anyway. It happens, get them tomorrow. On the plus side, it was nice to see Ozzie give Javy the quick hook after some balls were hit hard in the 6th. At least he kept the team in the game.

People need to realize that a horrible pitcher can have a good night.

BeviBall!
On the plus side, it was nice to see Ozzie give Javy the quick hook after some balls were hit hard in the 6th. At least he kept the team in the game.

Agreed.

Daver

I'm leaving now, no way am I getting stuck with that tab.

Jerko
Still can be an 8-3 homestand, and six of those games were against the only 2 teams in the league with better records than us. Not too shabby, but I HATE losing to Kansas ****ty.

AuroraSoxFan
08-15-2006, 09:56 PM
I'm as aggravated as anyone. no idea how we have a better record vs DET on the year than we do vs KC. Gotta tip your cap to that pitcher from KC though. He threw well tonight. Stopped us when he needed to for the most part. Still was one we really coulda used! Need to take it to them the next 2 games.

Kwrubac
08-15-2006, 09:56 PM
BOOO URNS!!! :whiner:

infohawk
08-15-2006, 09:57 PM
That being said, his two run shot should not have been the difference when they're facing runelvys ****ing hernandez.
Even a pitcher who has struggled will have a great outing on occasion. It's the old adage, "a blind squirrel will find a nut every now and then."

SOXBOY
Everyone take it easy.the Sox are not going to win every game Hernandez was due for a good game.they will win the series and move on to minny.still leaed the wc and 61/2 back with month left is not the end of the world.

JB98
Still can be an 8-3 homestand, and six of those games were against the only 2 teams in the league with better records than us. Not too shabby, but I HATE losing to Kansas ****ty.

For some reason, every loss to them feels like two losses.

cheezheadsoxfan
I can take being outpitched better than looking like crap defensively. Oh well, we'll get 'em next two.

83 ALROY
Now that they've gotten their absolute worst game out of their system, it's time to win this series.

Mohoney
08-15-2006, 09:58 PM
What can you do? Hernandez pulled a game out of his ass.

It's just too bad that we don't have the luxury of splitting the next 2 now. We need both.

KC was 15-44 on the road coming into this series. A split would be a nuclear bomb to the momentum of winning 5 out of 6 against New York and Detroit.

Soxfanspcu11
08-15-2006, 09:58 PM
So the first game that I give my tickets away in over 2 months and they lose to the Royals???

Glad I'm not there. Oh well, take the series, as we always do, no biggie.

As a side note, why are there 45 guests in here?!?!?! I've NEVER seen that many.

Detroit fans, stop coming around and seeing what we have to say. We will catch you, it's that simple.

southsideirish71
08-15-2006, 09:59 PM
Last years team lost plenty like this. Relax.

Last year we had a 15 game lead. Last time I checked we are playing the royals while the team that is a half a dozen games in front of us is playing Boston. We need to win these games.

JB98
So the first game that I give my tickets away in over 2 months and they lose to the Royals???

Glad I'm not there. Oh well, take the series, as we always do, no biggie.

As a side note, why are there 45 guests in here?!?!?! I've NEVER seen that many.

Detroit fans, stop coming around and seeing what we have to say. We will catch you, it's that simple.

Stupid Tigers fans. They still don't realize they're not going to win the division. :cool:

Soxfanspcu11
Stupid Tigers fans. They still don't realize they're not going to win the division. :cool:

They're not.

zmz723
We lost all our momentum when iguchi got sent home.

71 guests? we know you are here tigger fans

spiffie
08-15-2006, 10:00 PM
You mean we weren't going to win every game the rest of the season?! :o:

Seriously, this Royals team has been playing well lately. They beat the hell out of the Red Sox just recently. Let's get the next two games, win our 6th series in a row, and keep chugging along. Series wins will get us to the postseason. Sweeps are awesome, but if you think they will sweep every series you are likely to be disappointed. To add one more cliche, they say you will win 60 and lose 60 per season as a baseball team. If we keep winning series, then we'll win pretty much the rest of those 42 games that make the difference. This one was one of those ugly 60.

AnkleSox
08-15-2006, 10:01 PM
Even a pitcher who has struggled will have a great outing on occasion. It's the old adage, "a blind squirrel will find a nut every now and then."

While he did throw a good game, they were swinging at absolute crap and looked like they were just trying to get a bunch of easy runs like they did last night. It just looked like they were trying to humiliate him by hitting bombs to the concourse, rather than focusing on winning.

Maybe it's just been a long day... time for some :gulp:

PeoriaSoxFan
This game was a microcosim of the Bad White Sox in 2006:

1. Play poorly against teams less than .500
2. Don't convert on scoring opportunities (lead off double in 1st by Pods, no outs)
3. Bad Defense (JD dropping fly ball and giving up unearned run)
4. Pitchers giving up way too many gopher balls.
5. Javy with another bad 6th inning and also giving up the lead immediately after getting it.
6. Swinging for the fences, resulting in an inept offense vs. a bad pitcher.
7. Runners thrown out at the plate, with help of Joey this time.

Combine that with the Royal playing good defense and momentum is halted, (Temporarily). Lets hope the Good White Sox are back tomorrow, so we can again talk about how great we are/can be. We need these next two for sure!

JB98

DETROIT SUCKS!!!! DETROIT SUCKS!!!!!!

Hey Tigger fans, we're 9-3 against you! We OWN you!!! You're going down in the ALCS! Book it!!!!

Since they're here, might as well taunt the worthless wastes of sperm.

Mohoney
Last time I checked we are playing the royals while the team that is a half a dozen games in front of us is playing Boston. We need to win these games.

Boston sucks. I wasn't expecting any help from them anyway.

What I wanted was for us to take 3 out of 4 and hope that Boston can take 1 in their own house.

Corlose 15
The Sox shouldn't have lost to the godawful Kansas City Royals five times by now. :rolleyes:

sox1970
08-15-2006, 10:02 PM
The next three are very important to win.

Obviously, need to beat the Royals 3 out of 4. But then also have to beat Bonser on Friday before Radke and Santana pitch Saturday and Sunday at the dome. To win that series, they have to take Game 1.

Pressure is on for the next 47 days. Hang on, kids...

Kub_Killer_15
Used all their engergy last night! Ugliest game I have seen all year. Just HORRIBLE...HORRIBLE...HORRIBLE! Times like these I wish I was older so I could get drunk and forget about this!

billyvsox
Righties were hitting .322 off of Hernandez, and lefties were hitting .340. But of course that is when you are up there trying to hit the ball, not trying to hit home runs on every swing.

Nice effort in the 9th. The KC closer had a straight 87 mph fastball that he threw over the middle of the plate, and our guys were trying to launch every pitch over the fence.

Just throw changeups to our team, and they will swing themselves out of a game.

Pathetic. Detroit and Minny sweep the Royals. We have to fight tooth and claw against them and we lose games.

Agreed, we are by far the worst change up hitting team in the league (see JoHan Santana)....that said, after Iguchi gets thrown out at the plate on a stupid play by Cora, we go 0-12 the rest of the way. Run-Elvis was on the hook big time right there and will Paulie coming up you cannot send Iguchi!!!!

JB98
You mean we weren't going to win every game the rest of the season?! :o:

Seriously, this Royals team has been playing well lately. They beat the hell out of the Red Sox just recently. Let's get the next two games, win our 6th series in a row, and keep chugging along. Series wins will get us to the postseason. Sweeps are awesome, but if you think they will sweep every series you are likely to be disappointed. To add one more cliche, they say you will win 60 and lose 60 per season as a baseball team. If we keep winning series, then we'll win pretty much the rest of those 42 games that make the difference. This one was one of those ugly 60.

I hate to burst your bubble, but the Royals were on a five-game losing streak entering tonight's play. Worse, they had been outscored 25-2 the last two games.

Sorry, but this Royals team has not been playing well lately.

spiffie
08-15-2006, 10:03 PM
And you know what? Even if they do take the division, we'll be waiting for them in the playoffs. Go ahead Detroit. Get hot again, win 110 games for all I care. Because before you can wake up and find yourself in the World Series you have to go through the Chicago White Sox, and thus far you have not shown that you can come close to doing that.

All I care about is making the playoffs. If that means a White Sox /Tigers ALCS, well bring it on!

TheOldRoman
This game was absolutely disgusting. Every member of this team should be ashamed of the performance they put out tonight.

Detroit is still not as good a team as us. They aren't even close. However, they crush horrible teams, unlike the Sox. If this team doesn't make the playoffs, or loses a tough game 5 or 7 on the road, they will look back and remember losing to the Royals at least 5 times. Honestly, we have a ****ing better record against the Tigers than against the Royals. That doesn't say anything good about the Royals, it says that our team is ****ing chicken **** when they don't feel like playing.

The offense swings at horrible pitches and goes down easy for the first several innings, knowing that they will come back with a powerful late rally. Well, today they crapped their pants against one of the worst pitchers in baseball, and they weren't able to come back. How many times have we been shut down by horrible pitching? How many times have we sleepwalked through 7 or 8, then put up a rally that fell just short? We did absolutely nothing against a very hittable Randy Johnson for 6 innings, left the bases loaded with 0 outs, and fell a run short. No team gets itself out more than the vaunted Sox hitters. Hernandez is a horrible pitcher, and he wasn't on today. Patient offense would have taken tons of walks, made him throw strikes, and then hammered those strikes, knocking him out in the 2nd or 3rd. Our offense swung at absolute garbage, EARLY IN THE COUNT, and made a guy who couldn't find the strikezone throw 85 pitches through 7 innings.

We are the best team in baseball, but knowing that isn't enough. This team needs to go out an put forth an effort every night. Having a worse record against the Royals than the Tigers is shameful. It's nights like this that the 2006 Sox look like the 86 Bears.

I see everyone is showing their class tonight.

PeoriaSoxFan
08-15-2006, 10:04 PM
For some reason, every loss to them feels like two losses.

It just seems like we have given away games to them this year. That outing by Garland still bugs me at the beginning of the year. Plus, I believe Jenks blew a save against them at home. Now tonight, it was just ugly from start to finish. A win tomorrow will make us all forget. Hopefully a Detroit and Minnesota loss as well.

Jerko
08-15-2006, 10:05 PM
Damn, now I'm not in the mood to relax and watch a late game.

infohawk
08-15-2006, 10:05 PM
Last year we had a 15 game lead. Last time I checked we are playing the royals while the team that is a half a dozen games in front of us is playing Boston. We need to win these games.
You know, honestly, Boston doesn't really intimidate me. I don't think they are all that great. I can see them fading away down the stretch. I'm not convinced they have the pitching to win. Both Schilling and Beckett have been inconsistent and Wells and the final two pitchers are no great shakes. Not to mention that Varitek and Nixon are out. The key is to pitch around Ortiz and make Manny beat you. Manny's tough but I'd rather face him than Ortiz in a big situation. Maybe I'm being a little harsh, but they kind of remind me of the Texas Rangers during the 1990s. People used to say "Rogers and Helling and wait for the shelling."

billyvsox
08-15-2006, 10:06 PM
Why cant anyone pound the Tigers except us.

Last year noone could beat the Toons except us. ***

MeteorsSox4367
The fan who touched the ball Anderson hit down the line should have been given the choice of his being removed bodily or having his hands cuffed behind his back. Way to kill your team's momentum, Einstein.

As for Javy, he's so frustrating to watch.

"Javy, this is Brandon McCarthy. He'll be taking your spot in the rotation in 2007. Enjoy the bullpen."

Soxfanspcu11

A side question, why does your White Sox intro video cut off???:(:

Jerko
08-15-2006, 10:08 PM
Guys, we lost to a ****ty pitcher, yes it happens. But, we have recently beaten Halliday, Verlander, Mussina, and Wang. They beat Santana once this year too. It works both ways. Sometimes you beat great pitchers, sometimes you lose to crap pitchers.

samram
08-15-2006, 10:09 PM
I hate to burst your bubble, but the Royals were on a five-game losing streak entering tonight's play. Worse, they had been outscored 25-2 the last two games.

Yeah, the Royals are awful. I don't care how well they might be playing, you can't lose to Runelvys Hernandez. It would be one thing if they had at least looked interested and he just beat them, but they didn't look interested and they made a ton of easy outs by trying to pull everything (I'm looking at you, AJ).

spiffie
08-15-2006, 10:10 PM

The 5 game losing streak is a deceiving stat though. Before the last two awful days they had been involved in 6 straight 1-run games. Being that the Royals are not exactly a very deep team that finally broke them it would appear and they had a couple days of playing awful. But outside of a couple of games against Minnesota and the last 2 days they have been playing mostly very tight games.

zmz723
08-15-2006, 10:10 PM
A side question, why does your White Sox intro video cut off???:(:

I just found it on youtube and linked it, I have no idea why it would cut off for you. It works great for me. :dunno::dunno:

TheOldRoman
08-15-2006, 10:11 PM
Teahen has nothing to do with this. Our hitters take the collar tonight. Vazquez wasn't good, but if you can't score 8 against Hernandez, you don't deserve to win.

Soxfanspcu11
08-15-2006, 10:11 PM
5. Javy with another bad 6th inning and also giving up the lead immediately after getting it.

Javy never had the lead, just an FYI.

Soxfanspcu11
08-15-2006, 10:12 PM
I just found it on youtube and linked it, I have no idea why it would cut off for you. It works great for me. :dunno::dunno:

It cuts off at 1:48 for some reason.:?:

Jerko
ESPN just announced Boston's record on the last 9................................................. ............................Ben Affleck birthdays. Boy do I miss CNNSI.

ajismyhero
Anyone else watching postgame live on CSN right now? 50% of people watching voted that the Sox wouldn't make the playoffs! Bunch of dark clouds after a loss or Cubs fans? Did anyone here vote?

batmanZoSo
08-15-2006, 10:13 PM
Yeah, the Royals are awful. I don't care how well they might be playing, you can't lose to Runelvys Hernandez. It would be one thing if they had at least looked interested and he just beat them, but they didn't look interested and they made a ton of easy outs by trying to pull everything (I'm looking at you, AJ).

It was swinging for the fences all night. I guess they figured they could repeat last night by doing that. Guess what, it doesn't work that way.

Pretty ****ty overall. Detroit goes to Boston and gains a game while we host KC. That shouldn't happen period. But oh well, still a lot of baseball left and we're in the playoff picture now so whatever. Probably just a one game blip. They should wake up tomorrow and get back on track.

eurotrash35
08-15-2006, 10:15 PM
well they looked like crap tonight. time to cinch it up, hunker down. and start a 9 game winning streak. :cool:

PeoriaSoxFan
[quote=Soxfanspcu11]Javy never had the lead, just an FYI.[/quote

Point taken, but it felt the same.

Chicken Dinner
That was our best line-up. What the **** did they do last night?

TheOldRoman
DETROIT SUCKS!!!! DETROIT SUCKS!!!!!!

Hey Tigger fans, we're 9-3 against you! We OWN you!!! You're going down in the ALCS! Book it!!!!

Since they're here, might as well taunt the worthless wastes of sperm. The Tigers are still a mirage. They are where they are because they do what good teams should - pound on ****ty teams. They will get into the playoffs only because they pound on horrible teams way better than the Yankees, Red Sox, or White Sox could only hope to. You can only commend them for it, but it is the truth. Put them against good teams (and no, Boston isn't a good team right now), and you will see how good they are.
Detroit isn't making it to the ALCS.

SoxandtheCityTee
Make that 74 guests! Maybe we should have an over/under contest.

Win five, lose one, win five series in a row, sweep the team ahead of us . . . if it continues like this I'm going to need those vacation days I've saved up for the postseason. I'd rather be a Sox fan asking myself why the Sox haven't won enough against KC than a Tigers fan asking myself why my team has lost so many to the Sox.

Which 73 of those 74 are asking themselves (the 74th is a Twins fan).

zmz723
08-15-2006, 10:16 PM
It cuts off at 1:48 for some reason.:?:
Maybe your computer stopped loading the video. thats the only thing I can think of :dunno:

infohawk
08-15-2006, 10:19 PM
Yeah, the Royals are awful. I don't care how well they might be playing, you can't lose to Runelvys Hernandez. It would be one thing if they had at least looked interested and he just beat them, but they didn't look interested and they made a ton of easy outs by trying to pull everything (I'm looking at you, AJ). I understand the frustration but I think there is a tendency around here to never, ever credit what the opposition does and always blame the Sox. I agree that Hernandez isn't a very good pitcher from a statistical standpoint, but he obviously has had success at the major league level and has the "stuff" to get major league hitters out. The problem is consistency or lack thereof. What we saw tonight was that a pitcher with a bad line on a season can still put it together and dominate for at least one game.

Look what happened to the Yankees last year. They absolutely lucked out when guys like Shawn Chacon and Aaron Small pitched way, way over their heads in a divisional race. Unfortunately for the Yankees, they couldn't pitch that way forever because they, quite frankly, aren't that good consistently.

TheOldRoman
08-15-2006, 10:19 PM
Agreed, we are by far the worst change up hitting team in the league (see JoHan Santana)....that said, after Iguchi gets thrown out at the plate on a stupid play by Cora, we go 0-12 the rest of the way. Run-Elvis was on the hook big time right there and will Paulie coming up you cannot send Iguchi!!!!
Cora made the right call. It took two perfect throws to nail Iguchi. If either of the throws were off, we had the lead. We force the Royals to get us out, and the executed perfectly. That is as opposed to the rest of the night, were our hitters got themselves out against horrible pitching. You have to take risks, and the way our hitters showed up today, you know runs were hard to come by.

Kub_Killer_15
08-15-2006, 10:21 PM
On another side note I think I speak on behalf on WSI Polanco get well soon! We all know Tiger fans are roaming in here all I have to say http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k75/rycolist/754f7a2c.gif (sorry mods if this is to over the top)

digdagdug23
That was our best line-up. What the **** did they do last night?

When I saw the line-up posted on Reifert's blog, my gut told me it was not going to be good. My heart was singing, but my head was saying something entirely different. We p*** and moan because we want the "starters" on the field, all at the same time, just once in a while, but when it finally comes out, it was very sub par. I would like to officially apologize to Pablo, Mack, Gload, Cintron, and the rest for ever complaining about plays you might have made, but didn't. At least you try to be in the right place at the right time all the time. It was almost as if the game mentality was checked at the door tonight. Very dissappointing performance, now take the next two, PRETTY PLEASE!!!

Jjav829
Why do people still bitch about Cora? We know his philosophy by now. He's always going to force the issue, so deal with it.

Lip Man 1
That's why when you fall behind by as many games as the Sox did it's so very hard to catch up. You have to play almost perfect baseball every single night and that's tough to do.

Tonight it was three double plays, an error, lack of hitting against a bad pitcher and bingo, it's 6 1/2 again.

It's tough to lose but especially against a team as bad as Kansas City.

They now have a total of 42 wins on the season...five have come against the Sox.

Yikes!

I hope the Sox can take the next two because a split (or worse) against the Triple A Royals simply will not get the job done. This one hurts tonight.

Lip

SoxFan78
08-15-2006, 10:22 PM
First of all, to all the people blaming Cora for sending Iguchi, JUST STOP! That was a phenomenal relay from Grudaasdirunwelkaserjnlk to the catcher. It took a perfect throw to get Iguchi out. Im glad Cora sent Iguchi, it put the pressure on the defense to make a perfect play, and they did.

And if Iguchi would of stayed on third, it wasn't a guarantee that they would of scored.

I blame this loss 85% on the offense, and 15% on Javy.

There is no excuse the offense couldn't put up more then 2 runs on this meat pitcher. Brutal

Javy pitched a good game until his timely blowup in the sixth. What hurt even more was he let up the final two runs right after the Sox tied it up.

No worries though, one loss. They were gonna lose people. They will come back tomorrow. Good thing I had Big Brother to watch tonight.

Chicken Dinner
08-15-2006, 10:22 PM
When will Don and Ozzie realize that Javy is only good for 5. Our pen is as fresh as they come.

dagotony06
08-15-2006, 10:24 PM
Cora made the right call. It took two perfect throws to nail Iguchi. If either of the throws were off, we had the lead. We force the Royals to get us out, and the executed perfectly. That is as opposed to the rest of the night, were our hitters got themselves out against horrible pitching. You have to take risks, and the way our hitters showed up today, you know runs were hard to come by.

You don't make that call when you have your 4 and 5 hitters coming up. They had hernandez on the ropes there, and Cora made a big mistake by even trying to send him. He just ran us out of the inning. We had the momentum with us, had Paulie coming up, and POOF. That was a terrible call, and it cost us the game.:angry:

PeoriaSoxFan
08-15-2006, 10:24 PM
44 games to go. I think it might take 96 wins to take the WC. A .568 winning clip (25-19) would seem do-able down the stretch. Schedule gets tough on Friday though.

TheOldRoman
08-15-2006, 10:25 PM
On another side note I think I speak on behalf on WSI Polanco get well soon! We all know Tiger fans are roaming in here all I have to say http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k75/rycolist/754f7a2c.gif
I never cheer injuries. If it takes their star 2B getting injured for us to win the division, we don't deserve it. We are the much better team, as we have shown them 9 times. The only difference it, Detriot doesn't piss away games with lackluster efforts against horrible teams. If the Sox would have taken care of business against bad teams thusfar, we would be in first place.

kobo
08-15-2006, 10:25 PM
Hernandez is a horrible pitcher, and he wasn't on today. Patient offense would have taken tons of walks, made him throw strikes, and then hammered those strikes, knocking him out in the 2nd or 3rd. Our offense swung at absolute garbage, EARLY IN THE COUNT, and made a guy who couldn't find the strikezone throw 85 pitches through 7 innings.

Exactly. I don't understand the people who are saying he threw a good game. It was obvious in the first inning Hernandez didn't have his stuff. Why the hitters went out there hacking at the first couple of pitches instead of being patient makes no sense to me. What the hell is Greg Walker doing on the bench? Can't he tell the guys to hold back and lay off and wait for a pitch? And Cora sending Iguchi home was a bad idea. My roommate, a Cubs fan, said Cora reminds him of good old "Wavin" Wendell Kim. I couldn't disagree with him. Just an ugly game overall for the Sox, they really looked flat tonight.

Credefan21
08-15-2006, 10:27 PM
The Pollyannas are sickening here tonight. There was nothing good about this game. Yeah look for the positives in a horrible loss from The Royals.

PeoriaSoxFan
08-15-2006, 10:27 PM
You don't make that call when you have your 4 and 5 hitters coming up. They had hernandez on the ropes there, and Cora made a big mistake by even trying to send him. He just ran us out of the inning. We had the momentum with us, had Paulie coming up, and POOF. That was a terrible call, and it cost us the game.:angry:

I agree with you, but I guess I can see the other side as well. When I see that replay, it doesn't look like it was all that tough of a play. Granted, they were excellent throws, but ones Major Leaguers make. Little Leaguers, no. Iguchi didn't appear that he was even on third when the ball was already approaching the relay man. The thing is we will never know what would have happened if he would have held him. Maybe Konerko pops out, but I sure wish we had the opportunity to find out.

QCIASOXFAN
08-15-2006, 10:29 PM

It had it all... a dumbass fan, Cora and other such crappiness.You stole my post! Seriously though that game sucked. It started off in such promising fashion to with Pods getting the leadoff double.

Lip Man 1
Roman:

I do agree with you on the losses to 'bad' teams. When you lose games to Seattle, K.C., Tampa Bay and the Cubs eventually they come back to haunt you.

Lip

TheOldRoman
Exactly. I don't understand the people who are saying he threw a good game. It was obvious in the first inning Hernandez didn't have his stuff. Why the hitters went out there hacking at the first couple of pitches instead of being patient makes no sense to me. What the hell is Greg Walker doing on the bench? Can't he tell the guys to hold back and lay off and wait for a pitch? And Cora sending Iguchi home was a bad idea. My roommate, a Cubs fan, said Cora reminds him of good old "Wavin" Wendell Kim. I couldn't disagree with him. Just an ugly game overall for the Sox, they really looked flat tonight.
No, not really.

As for the rest of your post, I agree. Our offense has looked like garbage against a myriad of ****ty pitchers. Most of the times, it is because they chase bad pitches. Today was about the worst instance of that. Hernandez was horrible, he wasn't even close to the strikezone, but everyone was hacking away - trying to hit a 5 run homer. I don't think you can blame Walker 100% for the team's horrible approach against those crappy pitchers, but he should have a large share of the blame.

DickAllen72
08-15-2006, 10:30 PM
Meh. As long as we take three out of four, I'll be happy. I've been saying all along that the Sox need to sweep some series, but it's very hard to sweep a four game series, and we just swept the Tigers in a three gamer. So if we win the next two, I'll be satisfied. I emphasize "if".

Anyway, I never expect to win when "Five and Dive" is starting.

infohawk
08-15-2006, 10:31 PM
If only it were that easy. Ask your roomate how many World Series rings "Wavin" Wendell has won in recent years.

Chicken Dinner
08-15-2006, 10:32 PM
Meh. As long as we take three out of four, I'll be happy. I've been saying all along that the Sox need to sweep some series, but it's very hard to sweep a four game series, and we just swept the Tigers in a three gamer. So if we win the next two, I'll be satisfied. I emphasize "if".

Anyway, I never expect to win when "Five and Dive" is starting.

But you can't give um away.

sox1970
08-15-2006, 10:34 PM
44 games to go. I think it might take 96 wins to take the WC. A .568 winning clip (25-19) would seem do-able down the stretch. Schedule gets tough on Friday though.

I want 96 wins going into the last week. 25-13 the next 38. It can be done.

PeoriaSoxFan
08-15-2006, 10:36 PM
No, not really.

As for the rest of your post, I agree. Our offense has looked like garbage against a myriad of ****ty pitchers. Most of the times, it is because they chase bad pitches. Today was about the worst instance of that. Hernandez was horrible, he wasn't even close to the strikezone, but everyone was hacking away - trying to hit a 5 run homer. I don't think you can blame Walker 100% for the team's horrible approach against those crappy pitchers, but he should have a large share of the blame.

Who is pitching for the Royals tomorrow? Comcast showed Bernero with a 1.59 era. Whitesox.com says it is Odaliz Perez.

dagotony06
08-15-2006, 10:38 PM
Who is pitching for the Royals tomorrow? Comcast showed Bernero with a 1.59 era. Whitesox.com says it is Odaliz Perez.

I believe Bernero tomorrow, Perez is starting thursday

FedEx227
08-15-2006, 10:39 PM
If only it were that easy. Ask your roomate how many World Series rings "Wavin" Wendell has won in recent years.

Jesus... that was last year. We know, we have a World Series. We are talking about this year. I can't stand every argument somebody jumping in with the typical "world series ring" joke. We know we won it. But most of us are focused on this season. Last season was great and will be great to look back upon in years to come, but here and now we are trying to get back to that plateau...

with that being said, we looked awful, I just hope we aren't back to swinging for the fences every damn time. Did we not learn anything from the way we beat Detroit, hits, hits, walks, walks... home runs are great don't get me wrong, but rallies make champions.

Hernandez pitched like crap and we just beat ourselves plain and simple.

Chicken Dinner
08-15-2006, 10:40 PM
Hernandez pitched like crap and we just beat ourselves plain and simple.

So true!

With the best line-up we have.

SpartanSoxFan
08-15-2006, 10:44 PM
KC can have this one...Hernandez got lucky.

WE WILL NOT LOSE TOMORROW. Lock it. :angry:

JB98
08-15-2006, 10:45 PM
Roman:

I do agree with you on the losses to 'bad' teams. When you lose games to Seattle, K.C., Tampa Bay and the Cubs eventually they come back to haunt you.

Lip

Don't forget the Sox helped the Pirates break a 13-game losing streak in late June.

Goodman6
08-15-2006, 10:46 PM

It had it all... a dumbass fan, Cora and other such crappiness.

I agree that this game was pretty bad. Here we thought we would gain more ground on Detroit with us playing the Royals while the Tigers are playing in Boston. However, I am not sure Cora should be blamed for any of this tonight. If you look at the games we played over the past 3 weeks, Konerko has not been getting hits with 2 outs and men in scoring postion. I know Paulie hit a big home run off of Rivera to tie the game last Tuesday, but I am strictly talking about getting hits with 2 outs and men in scoring postion. I am sure Ozzie and Joey are aware of Paulie's struggles with men in scoring postion of late and, with two outs, I can understand why Joey sent Iguchi home on Thome's double.

kobo
08-15-2006, 10:47 PM
What does that have to do with this year? I don't care what happened last year, I am focusing on this year. The team was finally starting to build some moementum and play on a consistent basis and they looked absolutely flat tonight. Maybe Cora sending Gooch was a good idea, I didn't think so at the time and I still am not convinced. However, that's not the reason the Sox lost tonight, it was just a frustrating play at the time.

JB98
08-15-2006, 10:49 PM
I agree that this game was pretty bad. Here we thought we would gain more ground on Detroit with us playing the Royals while the Tigers are playing in Boston. However, I am not sure Cora should be blamed for any of this tonight. If you look at the games we played over the past 3 weeks, Konerko has not been getting hits with 2 outs and men in scoring postion. I know Paulie hit a big home run off of Rivera to tie the game last Tuesday, but I am strictly talking about getting hits with 2 outs and men in scoring postion. I am sure Ozzie and Joey are aware of Paulie's struggles with men in scoring postion of late and, with two outs, I can understand why Joey sent Iguchi home on Thome's double.

That's not the reason he sent Iguchi. He sent him because it was going to take a perfect relay by the Royals for them to get the out. Unfortunately for us, Kansas City executed.

Joey sends everybody with two outs. I don't think he really considers who the on-deck hitter is.

TheOldRoman
08-15-2006, 10:51 PM
Roman:

Lip
You shouldn't lump Seattle in with those teams. They aren't a good team, but they aren't that bad.
But I agree that you can't lose many games against horrible teams. No matter what, you will rarely ever sweep a season series with a team you play more than 2 series against. It is even more rare to sweep a division opponent. That means that we were bound to lose a few games against the Royals. But 5? The only way those 5 losses don't look horrible are if we sweep them the rest of the year, and that isn't that likely. 8-5 against the Royals isn't acceptable. We should have swept the Cubs twice, but I understand that they get pumped up for their world series against us.
Our biggest problem has been the Royals, but we also haven't beaten the mid-level teams like we should. We lost twice to the Orioles, once to the Astros, way too many against the Indians, and too many against the Twins.

JB98
08-15-2006, 10:52 PM
You shouldn't lump Seattle in with those teams. They aren't a good team, but they aren't that bad.
But I agree that you can't lose many games against horrible teams. No matter what, you will rarely ever sweep a season series with a team you play more than 2 series against. It is even more rare to sweep a division opponent. That means that we were bound to lose a few games against the Royals. But 5? The only way those 5 losses don't look horrible are if we sweep them the rest of the year, and that isn't that likely. 8-5 against the Royals isn't acceptable. We should have swept the Cubs twice, but I understand that they get pumped up for their world series against us.
Our biggest problem has been the Royals, but we also haven't beaten the mid-level teams like we should. We lost twice to the Orioles, once to the Astros, way too many against the Indians, and too many against the Twins.

I don't think 5-5 against Minnesota is all that bad, but I'm not happy about the 5-7 mark we have against the Tribe. We're a combined 14-12 against Cleveland and Kansas City. Detroit kills those two teams. That's really the difference in the division at this stage.

infohawk
08-15-2006, 10:53 PM
Guys, I want to win every game too. The fact of the matter is that the Sox have just won series against the last 5 or 6 teams they played and everyone was euphoric. They lose one game against the Royals and some folks are almost accusing the players and perhaps even the coaches of "mailing it in" and not caring enough to try their best. There is no such thing as an "automatic" win in this game. If the Sox were to end up taking the next two, how can we complain about losing one of four to the Royals in the series? If we lose the next two, then maybe there is cause for concern. In the end you just add up wins and losses. Nobody gets any bonus credit for how they got their win total. Would some folks feel better if the Sox went 6-1 between both the Tigers and Royals series, took all four games against KC but lost the finale to the Tigers? I guarantee that almost everybody would talk about what a great 7 game stretch that was.

MadetoOrta
08-15-2006, 10:53 PM
Can't worry about the past. Let's win tomorrow and Thursday, take 2 of 3 in Minne and at least a split in Detroit and [I would guess] we're 4-5 games up in the Wild Card. The key is getting INTO THE PLAYOFFS. No matter how we do it, I don't care. Heck maybe we'll be able to witness live a celebration on the field. One game at a time. Don't sweat it anymore.

Chicken Dinner
08-15-2006, 10:55 PM
We just sucked tonight!! With the best line-up we have. End of story.

TheOldRoman
08-15-2006, 10:56 PM
I don't think 5-5 against Minnesota is all that bad, but I'm not happy about the 5-7 mark we have against the Tribe. We're a combined 14-12 against Cleveland and Kansas City. Detroit kills those two teams. That's really the difference in the division at this stage. And that shows that we are the better team. You can say "take out our records against these teams..." all day long, but you can't do it in reality. We have pounded Detroit head-to-head, but we haven't put up a fight againt the ****ing Royals and Indians. Unfortunately, every game counts, not just the ones against good teams. Even more unfotunately, the Sox seem perfectly content taking nights off and having huge let-downs against horrible teams.

kobo
08-15-2006, 11:02 PM
Guys, I want to win every game too. The fact of the matter is that the Sox have just won series against the last 5 or 6 teams they played and everyone was euphoric. They lose one game against the Royals and some folks are almost accusing the players and perhaps even the coaches of "mailing it in" and not caring enough to try their best. There is no such thing as an "automatic" win in this game. If the Sox were to end up taking the next two, how can we complain about losing one of four to the Royals in the series? If we lose the next two, then maybe there is cause for concern. In the end you just add up wins and losses. Nobody gets any bonus credit for how they got their win total. Would some folks feel better if the Sox went 6-1 between both the Tigers and Royals series, took all four games against KC but lost the finale to the Tigers? I guarantee that almost everybody would talk about what a great 7 game stretch that was.
I don't think anyone is accusing the coaches or players of mailing it in. Some of us have said the Sox looked flat tonight, and they did. Tonight's game was not indicative of the way the Sox have played over the last 10 days. I don't want to watch the Sox play this way, not when it looked like they were getting on a roll again and finally playing consistent baseball. That's what is frustrating, they looked like **** tonight and right now they can't afford to play like ****.

lowestofthelow
08-15-2006, 11:08 PM
Just got back from the game..To add insult to the misery of losing,since when did they stop selling Cracker Jack at the Cell?

SoxFan78
08-15-2006, 11:08 PM

You have got to be kidding me right?? Cora cost us the game?? Sure he did.

No guarntee that Iguchi would of scored with Paulie at bat next.

And what happened the next inning when Paulie and Dye came up. Yeah, the Sox didnt score.

I love how everybody is on ledge again after the Sox lose their first game in a WEEK!!!

Dark clouds are making this place almost unbearable.

TheOldRoman
08-15-2006, 11:12 PM

And what happened the next inning when Paulie and Dye came up. Yeah, the Sox didnt score.

I love how everybody is on ledge again after the Sox lose their first game in a WEEK!!!

I am not on the ledge, but I am furious at this performance tonight. You can try to sugarcoat it, but the Sox gave this game away, 100%. This teams has coasted way too much this season -coasted against bad teams, and against bad pitchers. It's as if they feel they don't have to give 100% all the time because they are good enough to turn it on at the flick of a switch and win every game. Well, after giving away 8 innings against a horrible pitcher, they couldn't win. This loss doesn't mean the Sox are going to go on a slump, but it is a humiliating loss, and a game they can't have back. You have to pound the weak teams.

SoxSpeed22
08-15-2006, 11:18 PM
Downer after scoring 8 runs in the 4th yesterday. Jose's going tomorrow so nothing to worry about.

dagotony06
08-15-2006, 11:37 PM
That's not the reason he sent Iguchi. He sent him because it was going to take a perfect relay by the Royals for them to get the out. Unfortunately for us, Kansas City executed.

Joey sends everybody with two outs. I don't think he really considers who the on-deck hitter is.

Well if if he does like you say, and doesn't take into account who the on deck hitter is, then he has no business coaching third. You have to know your cleanup hitter is on deck. He Blew that call.Iguchi was just at third base and Grudzalenak had just got the relay throw. No way you send that runner!!! That is inexcusable!!!

PeteWard
08-15-2006, 11:41 PM
ESPN just announced Boston's record on the last 9................................................. ............................Ben Affleck birthdays. Boy do I miss CNNSI.

That says it all. A complete wast of air space.

PeteWard
08-15-2006, 11:42 PM
Just got back from the game..To add insult to the misery of losing,since when did they stop selling Cracker Jack at the Cell?

Jack Gilford is spinning in his grave.:o:

Goodman6
08-15-2006, 11:42 PM

Yes, good point. I forgot to mention that it would have taken a perfect relay to get the out. That is another reason why I don't think some of the posters on this site should blame Cora. I am not a fan of Cora's but this loss tonight was not his fault. By-the-way, a good 3rd base coach should consider who is in on-deck. Perhaps I was giving Cora too much credit.

dagotony06
08-15-2006, 11:45 PM

I'll tell you what happened the next inning when Konerko came up, he got a base hit, that would have scored Thome and Iguchi!!! That's not the point. I am saying you don't send a runner in that situation when you have your cleanup hitter, and a likely MVP candidate in Dye coming to bat. That was a terrible decision by Cora. We had a rally going and he killed it plain and simple. And I don't know who you are talking about being on a ledge, because I'm not on any ledge. I'm just pointing out that call by Cora and saying it killed a rally.

markopat
08-15-2006, 11:46 PM

HELLYEAH!

Tomorrow is our game!

Lip Man 1
08-15-2006, 11:46 PM
I double checked Roman's statement about losses to losing clubs and he is 100% spot on. The difference between the White Sox and Detroit is staggering.

These clubs currently have 'losing' records on the season and the Sox have played them: Orioles, Devil Rays, Indians, Royals, Mariners, Astros, Cubs and Pirates.

Detroit has played the same clubs and also the Brewers who have a losing mark.

After tonight's loss the Sox are 31-22 against those clubs. A .584 win percentage.

Detroit is 45-11 a percentage of .803.

That's unbelievable and unexplainable.

The Sox have 19 games remaining against teams with a losing record. Detroit has 15 remaining.

Lip

dagotony06
08-15-2006, 11:51 PM
I double checked Roman's statement about losses to losing clubs and he is 100% spot on. The difference between the White Sox and Detroit is staggering.

These clubs currently have 'losing' records on the season and the Sox have played them: Orioles, Devil Rays, Indians, Royals, Mariners, Astros, Cubs and Pirates.

After tonight's loss the Sox are 31-22 against those clubs. A .584 win percentage.

Lip

And will probably cost us the division!!!!

100 Year Itch
08-16-2006, 12:01 AM
What I find most irritating is the penchant of the starting pitchers to immediately lose the momentum that the offense has created the previous inning.

Coming from behind, the offense has tied it up or taken the lead only to watch the starting pitcher or relief guy immediately put us back behind.

TAKE THE MOMENTUM AND ****ING RUN WITH IT.

CaptainBallz
08-16-2006, 12:11 AM
Guess I lucked out not watching this game...sounds freakin' terrible. Maybe they waltzed all nonchalant into it based on the previous game? I don't know.

Take 3 of 4 and I'm happy. I'm not worrying about Detroit.

fuzzy_patters
08-16-2006, 12:13 AM
I have been travelling for the past few weeks and unable to post, and this is not a very happy time to make my first post in awhile. The team played like crud tonight.

The most infuriating part of the ordeal was the insistence of our hitters to swing at bad pitches. Runelvys Hernandez lives and dies with trying to get hitters to chase pitches out of the strike zone. Our guys played right into his hands all night long. At one point (sixth inning?), I counted seven straight ball thrown by Hernandez, and we swung at five of them culminating in AJP hitting into a double play.

Looking for positives in a terrible performance, Vazquez battled tonight. The defense did not help him much with Dye's dropped fly ball, and the offense did not give him much support either. If the rest of the team had done their part, he would have pitched well enough to pick up a hard fought, although ugly, win.

StillMissOzzie
08-16-2006, 01:35 AM
I was thinking all along that the Sox would only win 3 out of 4 in this series, and that was before looking at the starting pitcher lineups. I mighta thunk that Vasquez would be the loser, but probably not vs. Runelvys of the 8+ ERA.

Why oh why do the Royals have just under 12% of their season wins vs. the Sox?

SMO
:angry:

hawkjt
08-16-2006, 02:04 AM
Hernandez may have been ''gettable'' early , but after Thomes double he was thowing some breaking stuff for strikes and was deceptive.

He shut down Boston in his last start with 7ip 3er. - Boston lost. He is obviously getting in a groove of sorts and so all his prior stats mean nothing.

But yes , early on, there were some not so grinder-like abs. But matchups are hell and we just happen to match up with the tigers better than KC. I can live with that.

Santana was great tonite- He is 11-0 in his last 17 starts in the dome. It will be a major miracle if we win that game so we better win the next 4 somehow and then take our medicine from Johann. If the Red Sox have a bad weekend against the yanks - beating the twins twice is a big as beating detroit. next week- tigers and twins- whatnu? Seems like we play these guys every other weekend.

SouthSide_HitMen
08-16-2006, 02:26 AM
The White Sox seem to always find a way to play their absolute worst baseball when I attend.

Dye's dropped ball. Cora ends an inning by getting Iguchi gunned out by 10 feet (konerko singled to lead off the next inning).

The two Royal home runs cleared the fence by a combined 6 feet. :angry:

Hernandez had a 12.27 ERA over his last three starts heading into this game and an ERA over 16 against the White Sox in his prior two starts against the White Sox this season.

Updated personal record:

Home: 6-5 .545
Away: 0-3 .000
Total: 6-8 .428 :whiner:
Games Nancy played: 1-0 1.000

White Sox record in games I haven't attended 65-39 .625

SSHM in 2006 = http://www.n-chicken.net/tomfoolery/sesamestreet/cousinoliver.gif :(:

gbergman
08-16-2006, 03:02 AM
I didn't think we would sweep the series. Hopefully we take the next 2.

BV2005
08-16-2006, 03:05 AM

im going to be one of the guys to stick around, even though this years party might not end the way we wanted, I see a wild, card game at the end of the night that could turn out great.

Mohoney
08-16-2006, 03:09 AM

It's explainable. The explanation is, IT'S A FLUKE!

You speak of 15 remaining for the Tigers. I doubt that they will go 12-3 in them, and if they do, then there was really nothing we could do.

BadBobbyJenks
08-16-2006, 03:31 AM
I cant believe we are not going to sweep this 4 game series.....un****ingbeliveable

this is why we wont win it all again let alone win the division....

No ****ing heart, lose to kc at home after we just swept detroit **** this team....

and if you cant tell that should all be in teal, you are the person I hate and am making fun of

Chisox003
08-16-2006, 03:51 AM
I cant believe we are not going to sweep this 4 game series.....un****ingbeliveable

this is why we wont win it all again let alone win the division....

No ****ing heart, lose to kc at home after we just swept detroit **** this team....

and if you cant tell that should all be in teal, you are the person I hate and am making fun of
POTW!!!

:whiner: :rolleyes:

southwstchi4life
08-16-2006, 04:22 AM
How bout how crappy Konerko was. 2 errors, PLUS if you watch closely he wouldnt slide into the second base to try to break up a double play, in fact he ran opposite direction (really made me mad). A.J slide into the second basemen whenever needed, plus kneels down and catches every game and does not get hurt. Second error looked like he scared he might bump into the other man. ugh. Looked like a pansy. Show some effort. What a wimp

Grzegorz
08-16-2006, 05:01 AM
I never cheer injuries. If it takes their star 2B getting injured for us to win the division, we don't deserve it. We are the much better team, as we have shown them 9 times. The only difference it, Detriot doesn't piss away games with lackluster efforts against horrible teams. If the Sox would have taken care of business against bad teams thusfar, we would be in first place.
Yes, head to head, the White Sox are better than the Tigers but unfortunately we do not play the season solely against the Tigers. Over the one hundred and sixty-two game schedule the Tigers just might be the better team.

I'd rather claim we're the best team in the post season.

Sure, it is disappointing when we lose to the Royals, but I didn't expect a sweep. Win the next two; that is what has to be done. I feel this team has lost its aggressiveness on the bases; they win when they pressure the opponent. This component has been missing for a majority of the season.

The Sox have 19 games remaining against teams with a losing record. Detroit has 15 remaining.

Lip

You want the difference? This explains it in a nutshell...

The difference is that this year the Tigers club the worst teams in head to head competition. Whether this version of the White Sox play with less urgency against the lesser teams I do not know. But this post should be pasted in every White Sox members locker to remind them of the fact that for some reason the lesser teams slip through their fingers.

wassagstdu
08-16-2006, 06:24 AM
Cora made the right call. It took two perfect throws to nail Iguchi. If either of the throws were off, we had the lead. We force the Royals to get us out, and the executed perfectly.
The first throw was a rainbow and the relay beat Iguchi by about 20 feet. How can Cora think any major leaguers could fail to execute that?

itsnotrequired
08-16-2006, 07:50 AM
Not a pretty game.

Sig update time...

soxinem1
08-16-2006, 07:57 AM
Yes, head to head, the White Sox are better than the Tigers but unfortunately we do not play the season solely against the Tigers. Over the one hundred and sixty-two game schedule the Tigers just might be the better team.

I'd rather claim we're the best team in the post season.

Sure, it is disappointing when we lose to the Royals, but I didn't expect a sweep. Win the next two; that is what has to be done. I feel this team has lost its aggressiveness on the bases; they win when they pressure the opponent. This component has been missing for a majority of the season.

You want the difference? This explains it in a nutshell...

The difference is that this year the Tigers club the worst teams in head to head competition. Whether this version of the White Sox play with less urgency against the lesser teams I do not know. But this post should be pasted in every White Sox members locker to remind them of the fact that for some reason the lesser teams slip through their fingers.

Yeah, but don't forget the 2005 White Sox, who clubbed crummy teams all year too, not to mention the insane record they had in the Central and in one-run games. They also struggled against most of the contending teams during the year.

Remember the 2003 White Sox, who routinely beat the contenders and couldn't put away the scrubs, especially the, gulp, Tigers?

Can't this team do anything to make us happy?

Fake Chet Lemon
08-16-2006, 08:26 AM
HTF do you lose 2 of your last 3 to the Kansas City Royals in the middle of a pennant race? That's just a little lack of KILLER INSTINCT because it isn't talent. Win the next two and all is fine though.

Baby Fisk
08-16-2006, 09:02 AM
It seemed like after tieing the game 2-2, every Sox hitter that came to bat wanted to end the game with one swing. What the hell, guys?

As for the guy who interfered with the play, I hope he was taken out back and given a prolonged beating. Sox fans should know better.

russ99
08-16-2006, 09:24 AM
Wow. Awful game last night - So mad I whipped my Sox hat into the wall! Then the freakin' Cubs beat my other favorite team in 18 innings! :angry:

Still, I'd rather them lose to the Royals now, than to the Twins and Tigers the next week and a half. Hopefully they got their one horrible game out of their system.

KyWhiSoxFan
08-16-2006, 09:28 AM
Vazquez continues to be a problem. Instead of taking charge on the mound, he nibbles, nibbles, nibbles, afraid of contract. 82 pitches, 46 strikes. That is unacceptable.

He needs to challenge a bad club. Don't give them a lot of pitches to see or confidence. Then, Vazquez, true to form, implodes after 5.

I would just pull him after 5 no matter what the score or how he is doing. His numbers in the 6th and 7th are so bad it's not worth it. It is demoralizing to the entire team to send him out there.

RowanDye
08-16-2006, 09:36 AM
abso-****in-lotuley

un****ingbeliveable

...a lot of blame to go around here. They better take the next 2.

batmanZoSo
08-16-2006, 09:38 AM
It seemed like after tieing the game 2-2, every Sox hitter that came to bat wanted to end the game with one swing. What the hell, guys?

Ugh. I can't wait til we can destroy KC tonight and tomorrow so I can forget about that.

As for the guy who interfered with the play, I hope he was taken out back and given a prolonged beating. Sox fans should know better.

What a freakin' dope. If I was with him, I'd have smacked him on the back of the head and renounced my friendship. Unfortunately people will never know better as long as there's a stupid 12 inch wall down the lines.

Baby Fisk
08-16-2006, 09:49 AM
What a freakin' dope. If I was with him, I'd have smacked him on the back of the head and renounced my friendship. Unfortunately people will never know better as long as there's a stupid 12 inch wall down the lines.

Most times it's great to watch Sox fans NOT interfering with plays, because in the heat of the moment the temptation to reach out and grab the ball must be very strong.

This guy succumbed to the temptation. Now he can tell people that he not only interfered with a play and got tossed (presumably, although it also looked like he was running away before security got down to his seat), but he can ALSO be proud of having blown an easy grounder in front of a live TV audience. Nice leather, Buckner!

SoxFan78
08-16-2006, 10:05 AM
Most times it's great to watch Sox fans NOT interfering with plays, because in the heat of the moment the temptation to reach out and grab the ball must be very strong.

This guy succumbed to the temptation. Now he can tell people that he not only interfered with a play and got tossed (presumably, although it also looked like he was running away before security got down to his seat), but he can ALSO be proud of having blown an easy grounder in front of a live TV audience. Nice leather, Buckner!

I've never sat that close to the field, but how can you not see the umpire signal fair or foul ball? If you see the ump signal foul, go crazy. But if it's a fair ball, keep away. Its not rocket science.

bluestar
08-16-2006, 10:49 AM
I am not on the ledge, but I am furious at this performance tonight. You can try to sugarcoat it, but the Sox gave this game away, 100%. This teams has coasted way too much this season -coasted against bad teams, and against bad pitchers. It's as if they feel they don't have to give 100% all the time because they are good enough to turn it on at the flick of a switch and win every game. Well, after giving away 8 innings against a horrible pitcher, they couldn't win. This loss doesn't mean the Sox are going to go on a slump, but it is a humiliating loss, and a game they can't have back. You have to pound the weak teams.

I agree with this 100%. I am not on the ledge, and I am definitely not a "dark cloud," but I am furious over that game last night. There is just no excuse for the performances, and it wasn't just one person, it was a collective lack of effort.

Ol' No. 2
08-16-2006, 10:49 AM
The first throw was a rainbow and the relay beat Iguchi by about 20 feet. How can Cora think any major leaguers could fail to execute that?They can and do quite often. It's human nature to remember only the times runners get thrown out, but how many other runs would they not have scored if Cora was more conservative? Remember, the next hitter makes an out 70% of the time. As long as the chances of the fielders executing that play perfectly is less than that, it's a good gamble. Sometimes you win those gambles and sometimes you lose, but trust me, you don't want a third base coach who NEVER gets runners thrown out.

soxrme
08-16-2006, 10:50 AM
The first throw was a rainbow and the relay beat Iguchi by about 20 feet. How can Cora think any major leaguers could fail to execute that?

He consistently runs us out of innings:angry:

kitekrazy
08-16-2006, 11:02 AM
The fan who touched the ball Anderson hit down the line should have been given the choice of his being removed bodily or having his hands cuffed behind his back. Way to kill your team's momentum, Einstein.

This is a very frightening statement. Heaven help us if we resemble Cub fans.
The Sox had other opportunities to win.

batmanZoSo
08-16-2006, 11:14 AM
They can and do quite often. It's human nature to remember only the times runners get thrown out, but how many other runs would they not have scored if Cora was more conservative? Remember, the next hitter makes an out 70% of the time. As long as the chances of the fielders executing that play perfectly is less than that, it's a good gamble. Sometimes you win those gambles and sometimes you lose, but trust me, you don't want a third base coach who NEVER gets runners thrown out.
But is it necessary to be that aggressive against the Royals? I mean yeah, obviously we were hard up for runs last night, but at the time they had no problem hitting Hernandez with ease. Konerko even led off the next inning with a single. That play took a lot of steam out of the Sox engine last night, that's obvious. Overall, it pays to be aggressive, but that was just stupid.

ShoelessJoeS
08-16-2006, 11:20 AM
But is it necessary to be that aggressive against the Royals? I mean yeah, obviously we were hard up for runs last night, but at the time they had no problem hitting Hernandez with ease. Konerko even led off the next inning with a single. That play took a lot of steam out of the Sox engine last night, that's obvious. Overall, it pays to be aggressive, but that was just stupid.IMO, the play that took the steam out of the Sox was Teahen's 2-run homer in the bottom half of the inning after we had just tied it up in the top half.

batmanZoSo
08-16-2006, 11:32 AM
IMO, the play that took the steam out of the Sox was Teahen's 2-run homer in the bottom half of the inning after we had just tied it up in the top half.

That didn't help, but I look at the play that after which our offense went silent against Runelvys Hernandez of all people.

kevin57
08-16-2006, 12:09 PM
The bottom line to the Sox loss was not putting hits together. They did have eight hits but there were 3 or 4 double plays that completely ruined any momentum.

The bush league defense was maddening. Where was Dye and Konerko last night. Must have been having marital problems.

Vasquez, yes, was annoying, but we should be able to overcome 3 earned runs with these bats.

08-16-2006, 12:32 PM
Yes Javy 6th inning meltdowns are annoying, BUT in the last 3 he did (DET, MINN, and last night) our bats seem to collapse as well after the 6th.....

Ol' No. 2
08-16-2006, 12:44 PM
But is it necessary to be that aggressive against the Royals? I mean yeah, obviously we were hard up for runs last night, but at the time they had no problem hitting Hernandez with ease. Konerko even led off the next inning with a single. That play took a lot of steam out of the Sox engine last night, that's obvious. Overall, it pays to be aggressive, but that was just stupid.The question is, obviously, the right level of aggressiveness. It's a careful balance, and I don't have any problem with being more aggressive with two outs in a tie game. Becoming more conservative might get you fewer runners thrown out, but it will also cost you runs that you would have scored otherwise. As I said, the next hitter has a 70% chance of making an out. The defense has to make two good throws to get you. As long as the chances of that happening are less than 70%, it's a good gamble. Also, when the defense knows you're going to run aggressively, they will tend to rush throws, and errors become more likely, so it also has a secondary effect on other plays.

With no outs or one out, sending Iguchi would have absolutely been the wrong thing to do. But with two outs, he's a hell of a lot more likely to die on 3rd than he is to score. Even with a good gamble you're going to lose some percentage of the time, but that doesn't make it a bad bet.

samram
08-16-2006, 12:55 PM
That didn't help, but I look at the play that after which our offense went silent against Runelvys Hernandez of all people.

Yeah. Normally, if you tell Runelvys Hernandez you're going to get him four runs of support, he'll say "Well then, you're going to lose by at least three, if not several more, runs." Not last night, unfortunately.

soxinem1
08-16-2006, 12:58 PM

I was there last night and saw it all. but I have to note, he was not a Sox fan, he was a

BANDWAGON JUMPER!!!!!

viagracat
08-16-2006, 01:08 PM
[quote=SoxFan78]First of all, to all the people blaming Cora for sending Iguchi, JUST STOP! That was a phenomenal relay from Grudaasdirunwelkaserjnlk to the catcher. It took a perfect throw to get Iguchi out. Im glad Cora sent Iguchi, it put the pressure on the defense to make a perfect play, and they did.

And if Iguchi would of stayed on third, it wasn't a guarantee that they would of scored.

Thank you. I was waiting for a reasonable response to the Iguchi play. It took a near-perfect relay to get him. You have to send him in those situations. If Cora hadn't sent him and Iguchi died on third, people would've been wondering what happened to Cora's stones.

But seriously, three out of four even vs KC is all you can reasonably expect. Four game sweeps are rare. That said, this does mean wins tonight and tomorrow are important.

batmanZoSo
08-16-2006, 01:11 PM
Yeah. Normally, if you tell Runelvys Hernandez you're going to get him four runs of support, he'll say "Well then, you're going to lose by at least three, if not several more, runs." Not last night, unfortunately.

Yeesh. Not a confident guy at all. Is it any wonder why he lacks success? :D:

JB98
08-16-2006, 01:34 PM
I was thinking this morning, every time the Sox have a bad defensive game, it seems like everything else falls apart as well. The pitchers implode, and the hitters start trying to get it all back with one swing.

Boy, we had some rotten at-bats last night. All Hernandez had to do was flip that ****ty breaking ball up there down-and-away and watch us make weak swing after weak swing. Hernandez went through our lineup three times, and he must have gotten 20-25 swings at breaking balls that were out of the zone.

We were very disciplined when we clobbered Hernandez in Kansas City. I was at that game, and the guys did a great job of waiting him out. Against Minnesota, Hernandez walked nine in 4 2/3 innings. That had to be in our scouting report. But the Sox hitters swung the bats like their cars were double parked outside the stadium last night. No patience, no discipline. Greg Walker must have lost his lunch watching that from the dugout. Our hitters forgot the reasons we've been successful against Hernandez in the past. We're talking about a pitcher who simply cannot throw three strikes before he throws four balls. Man, that was a bad loss.

Ol' No. 2
08-16-2006, 01:43 PM
I was thinking this morning, every time the Sox have a bad defensive game, it seems like everything else falls apart as well. The pitchers implode, and the hitters start trying to get it all back with one swing.

Boy, we had some rotten at-bats last night. All Hernandez had to do was flip that ****ty breaking ball up there down-and-away and watch us make weak swing after weak swing. Hernandez went through our lineup three times, and he must have gotten 20-25 swings at breaking balls that were out of the zone.

We were very disciplined when we clobbered Hernandez in Kansas City. I was at that game, and the guys did a great job of waiting him out. Against Minnesota, Hernandez walked nine in 4 2/3 innings. That had to be in our scouting report. But the Sox hitters swung the bats like their cars were double parked outside the stadium last night. No patience, no discipline. Greg Walker must have lost his lunch watching that from the dugout. Our hitters forgot the reasons we've been successful against Hernandez in the past. We're talking about a pitcher who simply cannot throw three strikes before he throws four balls. Man, that was a bad loss.Is it just me or do they do this every game after a blowout?

dagotony06
08-16-2006, 02:02 PM
The question is, obviously, the right level of aggressiveness. It's a careful balance, and I don't have any problem with being more aggressive with two outs in a tie game. Becoming more conservative might get you fewer runners thrown out, but it will also cost you runs that you would have scored otherwise. As I said, the next hitter has a 70% chance of making an out. The defense has to make two good throws to get you. As long as the chances of that happening are less than 70%, it's a good gamble. Also, when the defense knows you're going to run aggressively, they will tend to rush throws, and errors become more likely, so it also has a secondary effect on other plays.

With no outs or one out, sending Iguchi would have absolutely been the wrong thing to do. But with two outs, he's a hell of a lot more likely to die on 3rd than he is to score. Even with a good gamble you're going to lose some percentage of the time, but that doesn't make it a bad bet.

Then what you are saying is that you are more confident having a runner try to score from first on a double, when the relay throw is at the second baseman before Iguchi got to third, than you are in Konerko "your cleanup hitter" getting a base hit against a guy that was starting to look like the guy that has an ERA over 8. We had the guy on the ropes, there is no doubt in my mind. Cora ran us out of the inning. It's that simple, therfore in my eyes he cost us the game. He has done it alot in the last two years, and even when he gets lucky and the guy does score I don't like it. Those plays are rally killers, and give momentum to the other teaam. Grudzalanek had the ball before Iguchi got to third, and even a bad throw would have still got him at the plate. It was a STUPID decision!!

Ol' No. 2
08-16-2006, 02:22 PM
Then what you are saying is that you are more confident having a runner try to score from first on a double, when the relay throw is at the second baseman before Iguchi got to third, than you are in Konerko "your cleanup hitter" getting a base hit against a guy that was starting to look like the guy that has an ERA over 8. We had the guy on the ropes, there is no doubt in my mind. Cora ran us out of the inning. It's that simple, therfore in my eyes he cost us the game. He has done it alot in the last two years, and even when he gets lucky and the guy does score I don't like it. Those plays are rally killers, and give momentum to the other teaam. Grudzalanek had the ball before Iguchi got to third, and even a bad throw would have still got him at the plate. It was a STUPID decision!!The decision has to be made well before that. Throwing up a stop sign when a runner is going full throttle around third is a great way to blow out a hamstring. If the throw to Grudz isn't perfect, if he hesitates slightly getting the ball out of his glove, if he doesn't have a good grip on the ball and double-clutches, if the throw is even a little bit up the line, Iguchi would have been safe and everyone would have been raving about what a great job Cora did. In fact, just last week people were ripping on him because he didn't send Konerko home from first base on a double.

I don't care how good your cleanup hitter his, he's going to make an out 70% of the time. And no matter how much the odds are in your favor, sometimes you roll snake-eyes. It was a calculated gamble, and it was absolutely the right decision.

dagotony06
08-16-2006, 02:47 PM
The decision has to be made well before that. Throwing up a stop sign when a runner is going full throttle around third is a great way to blow out a hamstring. If the throw to Grudz isn't perfect, if he hesitates slightly getting the ball out of his glove, if he doesn't have a good grip on the ball and double-clutches, if the throw is even a little bit up the line, Iguchi would have been safe and everyone would have been raving about what a great job Cora did. In fact, just last week people were ripping on him because he didn't send Konerko home from first base on a double.

I don't care how good your cleanup hitter his, he's going to make an out 70% of the time. And no matter how much the odds are in your favor, sometimes you roll snake-eyes. It was a calculated gamble, and it was absolutely the right decision.

Yes the decision does have to be made well before. And the wrong decision was made. Sanders got to the ball cleanly, didn't bobble it, the throw was perfect, Cora should have seen that, and he also should have seen Grudz handled the relay perfectly. I have seen my share of 3rd base coaches throw up the stop sign whie a runner is going full throttle, so that isn't even an excuse. It wasn't raining or the conditions weren't bad, so to come up with that kind of excuse is just plain ridiculous. As for the 70% your talking about, that's a pretty weak argument. Most hitters are gonna fail 70% of the time, everyone knows that, but I would rather have my cleanup hitter, who is making about 14 million a year, face a pitcher who was clearly struggling in that inning, and had already given up 2 runs. I'd much rather hav Paulie coming up with men on 2nd and 3rd, then try to force a run to score when it was visible to everyone that, there was no way Iguchi was gonna score. If Cora is doing his job then he is watching to see if Sanders get to the ball cleanly, which he did, then he watches the relay throw to see if it was off line,which it wasn't it was a strike to Grudz. Cora should have held him up as soon as he saw Sanders field that ball cleanly!!! It wasn't absolutely the right decision, it was absolutely the wrong decision and one of the dumbest decisions I have see since the last time Cora sent someone and was he was out by a mile. If I am gonna gamble I want a guy batting .300 with 83rbi and men on 2nd and 3rd, against a pitcher with an ERA of 8 who had already given up 2 runs in the inning. I don't want to gamble on a 3rd base coach sending a runner when he shouldn't have.

soxinem1
08-16-2006, 03:01 PM
Yes the decision does have to be made well before. And the wrong decision was made. Sanders got to the ball cleanly, didn't bobble it, the throw was perfect, Cora should have seen that, and he also should have seen Grudz handled the relay perfectly. I have seen my share of 3rd base coaches throw up the stop sign whie a runner is going full throttle, so that isn't even an excuse. It wasn't raining or the conditions weren't bad, so to come up with that kind of excuse is just plain ridiculous. As for the 70% your talking about, that's a pretty weak argument. Most hitters are gonna fail 70% of the time, everyone knows that, but I would rather have my cleanup hitter, who is making about 14 million a year, face a pitcher who was clearly struggling in that inning, and had already given up 2 runs. I'd much rather hav Paulie coming up with men on 2nd and 3rd, then try to force a run to score when it was visible to everyone that, there was no way Iguchi was gonna score. If Cora is doing his job then he is watching to see if Sanders get to the ball cleanly, which he did, then he watches the relay throw to see if it was off line,which it wasn't it was a strike to Grudz. Cora should have held him up as soon as he saw Sanders field that ball cleanly!!! It wasn't absolutely the right decision, it was absolutely the wrong decision and one of the dumbest decisions I have see since the last time Cora sent someone and was he was out by a mile. If I am gonna gamble I want a guy batting .300 with 83rbi and men on 2nd and 3rd, against a pitcher with an ERA of 8 who had already given up 2 runs in the inning. I don't want to gamble on a 3rd base coach sending a runner when he shouldn't have.

I agree with #2 on this one. With two outs, runners are instructed to be running full throttle. While I am not especially fond of Cora's judgement sometimes, this one was warranted.

I was more concerned with the feeble impatient swings most of our hitters displayed. If they exhibited the hitting talent they possess, no way that one play is even a key component of this game.

Baby Fisk
08-16-2006, 03:07 PM
I was there last night and saw it all. but I have to note, he was not a Sox fan, he was a

BANDWAGON JUMPER!!!!!
Did he get tossed or did he make a run for it? On TV they showed him walking up the steps without any escort.

BTW, did anyone get the KC feed for this game? They spent almost an entire inning zoomed in on one Sox fan who was wolfing down some food. The announcers were making some classless comments about the guy, making him out like some kind of pig -- the sorts of things they wouldn't have had the guts to say to the guy's face (he was a tough-guy type who happened to be chowing down on a hot dog).

dagotony06
08-16-2006, 03:17 PM
I agree with #2 on this one. With two outs, runners are instructed to be running full throttle. While I am not especially fond of Cora's judgement sometimes, this one was warranted.

I was more concerned with the feeble impatient swings most of our hitters displayed. If they exhibited the hitting talent they possess, no way that one play is even a key component of this game.

I agree runners should be running full throttle also. I believe they should always being running full throttle, so what's your point. It wasn't warranted. Iguchi isn't exactly fleet of foot to begin with, so to say it was the right call to send a runner when the second baseman has the ball in his hand and the runner is just hitting third is just plain dumb. That one play took the momentum and gave it to the Royals, and they come right back in the top of the 6th and score 2 runs, and we didn't threaten the rest of the game. Don't you think players get annoyed when a coach makes a stupid decision, that they know should have never been made, and takes you out of a potentially big inning. Plus you have a pitcher who has a hard time getting through six innings in the first place, and he has to go out in the 6th inning after that call of sending the runner and getting thrown out at home. I mean, Cora has to be aware of all the situations, he just isn't a very smart man when it comes down to coaching 3rd. He would be better at first base, and maybe have Raines at third. He was a better baserunner in his carrer. Cora wasn't the smartest baserunner when he played.

For you to say that wasn't a key component, I don't know what game you were watching. That was the game in my eyes. They were displaying thier hitting talent in the fifth, by scoring two runs and potentially more, but Cora makes that terrible decision and kills the rally. But they were getting to Hernandez in the fifth. Watch the replay of the game it's on right now, you will see how much of a KEY COMPONENT that play was!!!!

JB98
08-16-2006, 04:19 PM
Is it just me or do they do this every game after a blowout?

I hadn't really considered that. I definitely think the days where they play poor defense are the same days where they give away at-bats.

Maybe Dye was still bothered after being hit by a pitch Monday night, but I thought last night's game was an uncharacteristically poor performance for him. He wasn't alone, but in particular, he seemed to symbolize the struggles of the team throughout this game.

soxinem1
08-16-2006, 05:06 PM
I agree runners should be running full throttle also. I believe they should always being running full throttle, so what's your point. It wasn't warranted. Iguchi isn't exactly fleet of foot to begin with, so to say it was the right call to send a runner when the second baseman has the ball in his hand and the runner is just hitting third is just plain dumb. That one play took the momentum and gave it to the Royals, and they come right back in the top of the 6th and score 2 runs, and we didn't threaten the rest of the game. Don't you think players get annoyed when a coach makes a stupid decision, that they know should have never been made, and takes you out of a potentially big inning. Plus you have a pitcher who has a hard time getting through six innings in the first place, and he has to go out in the 6th inning after that call of sending the runner and getting thrown out at home. I mean, Cora has to be aware of all the situations, he just isn't a very smart man when it comes down to coaching 3rd. He would be better at first base, and maybe have Raines at third. He was a better baserunner in his carrer. Cora wasn't the smartest baserunner when he played.

For you to say that wasn't a key component, I don't know what game you were watching. That was the game in my eyes. They were displaying thier hitting talent in the fifth, by scoring two runs and potentially more, but Cora makes that terrible decision and kills the rally. But they were getting to Hernandez in the fifth. Watch the replay of the game it's on right now, you will see how much of a KEY COMPONENT that play was!!!!

I think Vasquez serving up his usual sixth inning bomb and Dye's blowing the catch in right were more key than this.

Guys get thrown out on the bases all the time, and against a pitcher with a 8+ ERA coming in, they could have swung the bats better.

And by the way, I was at this game, so I watched everything in front of me. Iguchi is not slow. It was just a perfectly executed play. Iguchi was a little past half-way when Grudzielanek made the throw. Get over it.

Grzegorz
08-16-2006, 06:50 PM
Can't this team do anything to make us happy?
On the contrary, I am very happy. The Tiger are having "one of those years" and the White Sox are right there for the playoffs not to mention the division.

From time to time I may be critical but I care; as opposed to those who seem to do neither (see the denizens at 1060 W Addison St Chicago Illinois for a clue).

dagotony06
08-16-2006, 07:56 PM
I think Vasquez serving up his usual sixth inning bomb and Dye's blowing the catch in right were more key than this.

Guys get thrown out on the bases all the time, and against a pitcher with a 8+ ERA coming in, they could have swung the bats better.

And by the way, I was at this game, so I watched everything in front of me. Iguchi is not slow. It was just a perfectly executed play. Iguchi was a little past half-way when Grudzielanek made the throw. Get over it.

You must have been drunk, cause replays show he wasn't no where near half way. I'll get over it when I feel like it!!!

soxinem1
08-17-2006, 10:42 PM
On the contrary, I am very happy. The Tiger are having "one of those years" and the White Sox are right there for the playoffs not to mention the division.

From time to time I may be critical but I care; as opposed to those who seem to do neither (see the denizens at 1060 W Addison St Chicago Illinois for a clue).

Teal means sarcasm, Dude!