PDA

View Full Version : As the Battery Turns

maurice
08-15-2006, 06:55 PM
With Chris Stewart on the DL, Molina was promoted to Charlotte, Lucy to B'ham, and Ricks to W-S.

maurice
08-17-2006, 04:16 PM
- Jack Egbert to B'ham
- Oneli Perez to B'ham
- Clayton Richard to W-S

Randar68
08-21-2006, 10:19 AM
- Jack Egbert to B'ham

This was a long over-due promotion. Once he got his head screwed on right he's been dominant, despite hitting a little mid-season lull there about 3-4 weeks ago.

caulfield12
08-21-2006, 12:26 PM
Who is supposed to be the better prospect, Egbert or Russell?

Fungo
08-21-2006, 01:17 PM
Who is supposed to be the better prospect, Egbert or Russell?Russell. Top pitcher to come out of the State of Ohio that year.

caulfield12
08-21-2006, 01:23 PM
So, plausibly, Russell would be considered our third or fourth best pitching prospect right now?

Broadway
McCullogh
Haeger
Tracey
Liotta (fading fast)

maurice
08-21-2006, 01:27 PM
- Broadway to Charlotte
- RRodriguez back to B'ham
- Cassel to W-S

Some of these were posted in other threads.

maurice
08-21-2006, 01:33 PM
So, plausibly, Russell would be considered our third or fourth best pitching prospect right now?

Depends on how you weigh things: raw talent, MLB-readiness, ability to start games in MLB, left-handedness, physical maturity, etc.

We have about five guys at Charlotte who could be in MLB right now, if they played in a weaker org. Russell's more talented than some of them but still has to develop his secondary pitches before he's MLB-ready.

caulfield12
08-21-2006, 01:49 PM
But do Phillips, Haeger, Tracey, Logan, Reynoso or Montero amount to anything more than a fifth starter or middle reliever at best?

I'll put it this way, if you could go back to the 2001/02 off-season and have the decision to keep Josh Fogg or Chad Bradford (instead of any of the players I listed above), would you think any of those guys would have a better career at the MLB level than either Fogg or Bradford?

maurice
08-21-2006, 02:37 PM
My point is that MLB-ready guys with low ceilings (but fairly established "floors") arguably have greater present-day value than more talented guys who are further from MLB and may never make it. For example, we traded a player who had a ceiling of "middle reliever" straight up for Alex Cintron. I doubt that AZ would have taken Adam Russell instead. A lot of people were surprised by the trade, but different people weigh the factors I listed differently.

Right now, I don't project Russell to be anything more than a fifth starter or middle reliever. In the coming years, he may prove to be better than that . . . or he may prove to be worse than that. IMO, he probably has less present-day value than a handful of guys at Charlotte, similar value to 3 of the guys in B'ham, and less value than McCulloch. Others, like Phil Rogers (who highly values ceiling and almost ignores a player's "floor") might disagree.

caulfield12
08-21-2006, 03:24 PM
Well, we have done a pretty good job at identifying those pitchers who had limited ceilings and getting something back in return that contributed to the big league club's success...

Matt Guerrier
Matt Ginter
Joe Valentine
Jeff Bajenaru
Royce Ring
Aaron Myette (well, I don't know exactly what Clayton contributed)
Esteban Loiaza
Javier Lopez

To name a few...

What's the latest on Josh Rupe's chances to make the Rangers' rotation next season?

maurice
08-24-2006, 03:02 PM
- Stewart activated off Charlotte's DL
- Molina back to B'ham (but Lucy stays)
- DRodriguez to W-S
- Woodson to Kanny
- Texeira to Kanny

Tragg
08-24-2006, 06:13 PM
My point is that MLB-ready guys with low ceilings (but fairly established "floors") arguably have greater present-day value than more talented guys who are further from MLB and may never make it. For example, we traded a player who had a ceiling of "middle reliever" straight up for Alex Cintron. I doubt that AZ would have taken Adam Russell instead. A lot of people were surprised by the trade, but different people weigh the factors I listed differently.

. That's what made it a good trade....a guy who the best you can hope for is middle reliever for an established utility ball player. It's when you trade high ceiling guys for middle relievers and utility ballplayers that I start to worry.
That's probably what Williams figured he did in the Ritchie...notwithstanding his complete mis-evaluation of Ritchie, I think he thought he was trading 2 guys who might be 4th/5th starters at best, so it was worth the risk..and he was right in his evaluation of Fogg and Wells.