PDA

View Full Version : Sox fans: Tigers nor the fans are fretting anything.

FloridaTigers
08-15-2006, 05:05 PM
Yes, the lead was reduced by half. But the team came out and kicked some BoSox ass. I think we lost some intensity due to the huge lead, and that bad week was a big wakeup call. So take it from a Tigers fan, I doubt none of the players are fretting, and we fans won't worry until we're in 2nd place. If we fall out, so what? It's been a great season, by FAR exceeding our expectations. We're just along for the ride. Pressure isn't on the Tigers. Its on the Sox. They must get ahead of Detroit and make it to 1st place, or they'll be called one year wonders.

I hope I don't sound like a troll. Thats not my intention. This is a fun divisional race and it'll be a wild ride to the finish. But last month, I would've killed for a 5.5 lead.

Chip Z'nuff
08-15-2006, 05:08 PM
:tealtutor:

ilsox7
08-15-2006, 05:09 PM
Sounds like denial, to be honest.

MarySwiss
08-15-2006, 05:10 PM
:tealtutor:

Omigod! Best answer possible! Chip Z'nuff, you ROCK! :bandance:

MUsoxfan
08-15-2006, 05:11 PM
I doubt none of the players are fretting, and we fans won't worry until we're in 2nd place.

You're right, I doubt none of them are either. There are probably at least two or three:wink:

As for the fans....I've taken a look at what's going on over in Tigerland and there seems to be some cause for concern.

And the pressure is really on the Tigers. They lost half of a huge division lead in ONE WEEK to a team that's 9-3 against them and the defending World Champs. If you ask me, the pressure's on the Tigers because the Sox are doing a sufficient job beating them when it needs to be done.

MarySwiss
08-15-2006, 05:12 PM
Yes, the lead was reduced by half. But the team came out and kicked some BoSox ass. I think we lost some intensity due to the huge lead, and that bad week was a big wakeup call. So take it from a Tigers fan, I doubt none of the players are fretting, and we fans won't worry until we're in 2nd place. If we fall out, so what? It's been a great season, by FAR exceeding our expectations. We're just along for the ride. Pressure isn't on the Tigers. Its on the Sox. They must get ahead of Detroit and make it to 1st place, or they'll be called one year wonders.

I hope I don't sound like a troll. Thats not my intention. This is a fun divisional race and it'll be a wild ride to the finish. But last month, I would've killed for a 5.5 lead.

BTW, "I doubt none of the players are fretting" too.

Edit: MUSoxfan, beat me to it!

FloridaTigers
08-15-2006, 05:12 PM
Sounds like denial, to be honest.

Denial of what?

Chip Z'nuff
08-15-2006, 05:16 PM
TY mary this is too easy.
http://cmsimg.freep.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=C4&Dato=20060812&Kategori=SPORTS02&Lopenr=608120803&Ref=PH&Item=9&MaxW=450&MaxH=400
"Fretting"

ilsox7
08-15-2006, 05:18 PM
Denial of what?

You come on here saying no one in Detroit is worried. Generally, people who go around and say such things do so b/c deep down they are worried. Saying it just makes them feel better. Hence, you're in denial that you're worried.

It's not a big deal. I'd be worried too if I were any potential playoff team. A Pennant Race is a pressure situation. Thus far, the Tigers have given in to the pressure. For their fans, hopefully they can change. For us, hopefully they keep folding to decent and good teams.

Corlose 15
08-15-2006, 05:20 PM

Um no they don't really have to get ahead of Detroit. As of right now the Sox and Tigers would both make the playoffs and considering the head to head records I'd favor the Sox in a potential ALCS matchup.

batmanZoSo
They must get ahead of Detroit and make it to 1st place, or they'll be called one year wonders.

What if we finish second, win the Wild Card and win the World Series again? Will we be called one year wonders then?

MarySwiss
Denial of what?
well, Ilsox7 can speak for himself, but my guess would be that he is referring to the possibility that because you, a Tigers fan, felt the need to post some kind of "we are not afraid" lameass thread, that might actually be interpreted as a "we are scared ****less" thread.

Chicken Dinner
The pressure is on both clubs. With only 40+ games remaining, every one counts big time. With the Yanks and the BlowSox beating up on each other, the Tigers and the White Sox still should both be in the playoffs. It's goin to be good. Good luck. (I'd rather have the Tigers in the post season than an east coast team).

MarySwiss
08-15-2006, 05:22 PM
TY mary this is too easy.
http://cmsimg.freep.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=C4&Dato=20060812&Kategori=SPORTS02&Lopenr=608120803&Ref=PH&Item=9&MaxW=450&MaxH=400
"Fretting"

Yup. Like shooting--oh, I don't know, Tigers?--in a barrel.

MarySwiss
08-15-2006, 05:24 PM
What if we finish second, win the Wild Card and win the World Series again? Will we be called one year wonders then?

And meanwhile, how do we refer to the Tigers? "No-year wonders" suggests itself.

spawn
08-15-2006, 05:24 PM

They don't have to get ahead of Detroit. The Sox would be in first in any other division in the AL. The Tigers have played extremely well this season. IMHO there would be no shame to finishing second to them. I just want us in the playoffs. Another divison crown would be nice, but getting to the postseason for the second year in a row would be sweet as well.

Last week, I would've killed for a 5.5 game deficit. And here we are.:D:

MarySwiss
08-15-2006, 05:25 PM
Last week, I would've killed for a 5.5 game deficit. And here we are.:D:

Nicely played! :smile:

Mr.1Dog
08-15-2006, 05:30 PM

More or less, you think it would be ok to have the best record in baseball for a majority of the season, then fall off and be ok with it? I could go on with the metaphors here but I won't. Why would you settle for playing so well most of the season and just collapsing? You have a taste of what being at the top is like and you're willing to just accept the possibility of going back to mediocrity. Wow. Well good luck to you on that one.

kobo
08-15-2006, 05:31 PM
If we fall out, so what? It's been a great season, by FAR exceeding our expectations. We're just along for the ride. Pressure isn't on the Tigers. Its on the Sox.
Just along for the ride, huh? So you don't care if the Tigers make the playoffs? And how can the pressure not be on the Tigers? They have played outstanding baseball all year long, now they have the White Sox breathing down their necks. If the Tigers want to prove they are the real deal then they need to keep their lead in the division. Otherwise, the word choke is going to be used to describe the Tigers fall.

MarySwiss
08-15-2006, 05:39 PM
If we fall out, so what? It's been a great season, by FAR exceeding our expectations. We're just along for the ride. Pressure isn't on the Tigers. Its on the Sox.

Just along for the ride, huh? So you don't care if the Tigers make the playoffs? And how can the pressure not be on the Tigers? They have played outstanding baseball all year long, now they have the White Sox breathing down their necks. If the Tigers want to prove they are the real deal then they need to keep their lead in the division. Otherwise, the word choke is going to be used to describe the Tigers fall.

And there you have it, ladies and gentlemen. Can you imagine any true-blue Sox fan last year being perfectly willing to settle for coming close? It's actually kind of sad, but that's their #2 problem.
Do I have to tell you what their #1 problem is? :D:

MadetoOrta
08-15-2006, 05:40 PM
Pressure on the Sox? They just won their first World Series in 88 ____ years. Pressure? This is the most forgiving sports town in America after a win. The '85 Bears still make money off that season even though they are arguably the biggest underacheivers in Chicago sports history. No fella. The pressures on you. Welcome to the ranks of the hunted. We were there last August and Sept. It wasn't fun.

batmanZoSo
08-15-2006, 05:41 PM

The Tigers have had a phenominal season--even if they were to tank the rest of the way and "only" win 95 games and miss the playoffs. Just look where they were three years ago. Hell, look where they were last year. That's a great turnaround to say the least.

To be honest, this thread and threads of this nature are tiresome because right now, barring some unforseen pitfalls, I don't see either of these teams missing the playoffs. Who finishes first doesn't matter much. In October, everyone's back to 0-0.

1951Campbell
08-15-2006, 05:50 PM
Methinks the lady doth protest too much.

:wink:

itsnotrequired
08-15-2006, 05:52 PM
The Tigers have had a phenominal season--even if they were to tank the rest of the way and "only" win 95 games and miss the playoffs. Just look where they were three years ago. Hell, look where they were last year. That's a great turnaround to say the least.

To be honest, this thread and threads of this nature are tiresome because right now, barring some unforseen pitfalls, I don't see either of these teams missing the playoffs. Who finishes first doesn't matter much. In October, everyone's back to 0-0.

I would argue that missing the playoffs would be a disappointment for the Tigers. What fun is a great ride if you crash at the end of it? Detroit has a chance to make the playoffs for the first time in nearly 20 years. To miss it by a game would leave an awfully bitter taste in the mouth.

JB98
08-15-2006, 06:15 PM
Pressure on the Sox?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oblong
08-15-2006, 06:46 PM
More or less, you think it would be ok to have the best record in baseball for a majority of the season, then fall off and be ok with it? I could go on with the metaphors here but I won't. Why would you settle for playing so well most of the season and just collapsing? You have a taste of what being at the top is like and you're willing to just accept the possibility of going back to mediocrity. Wow. Well good luck to you on that one.

What choice is there for a fan? The outcome isn't determined by what fans think. Obviously I want my team to win it all but what I think or hope won't have have any effect on what happens during the game.

If players had that attitude then there'd be a problem.

The Tigers and Sox will succeed or fail regardless of how much their fans want want it.

Win or lose, my mortgage is still due on the first of each month.

JohnBasedowYoda
08-15-2006, 06:49 PM

Let's see how the rest of that Boston series ends up :cool: This is an awesome race though.

fquaye149
08-15-2006, 06:57 PM
I'll tell you this much: when the Sox were (not) collapsing last September and I was ACTUALLY not worried at all about it, I sure didn't go around to Indians boards telling them how unworried I was.

(To be honest, I just berated the chicken littles here for being so morose)

MarySwiss
08-15-2006, 07:45 PM
I'll tell you this much: when the Sox were (not) collapsing last September and I was ACTUALLY not worried at all about it, I sure didn't go around to Indians boards telling them how unworried I was.

(To be honest, I just berated the chicken littles here for being so morose)
Let alone start a thread to that effect! :cool:

HotelWhiteSox
08-15-2006, 09:13 PM
Yes, the lead was reduced by half. But the team came out and kicked some BoSox ass.
You know Boston has been horrible lately. They just got swept by KC. If it wasn't for a worse team (Baltimore), they'd be 2-8 in their last 10 games, but ifs don't count so they're 4-6

Also, you say you'd be happy with a great season even if the team didn't make the playoffs. That's easy to say now, and I will guarantee you you will feel differently if it would actually happen. Especially when watching other teams in the playoffs. The media are *******s now, they'd be feisting on it

spawn
08-15-2006, 10:00 PM
What choice is there for a fan? The outcome isn't determined by what fans think. Obviously I want my team to win it all but what I think or hope won't have have any effect on what happens during the game.

If players had that attitude then there'd be a problem.

The Tigers and Sox will succeed or fail regardless of how much their fans want want it.

Win or lose, my mortgage is still due on the first of each month.
This is the most important thing. And neither the Sox or Tigers organizations are paying it, are they? :D:

DaleJRFan
08-15-2006, 10:53 PM
Are Tigers fans fretting now that Polanco is out after sperating his shoulder??

Chicken Dinner
08-15-2006, 11:38 PM
Tiger fans are excited and worried. Time will tell the out come of this season. Let's not get too cocky here and I for one, will not bash them until we are firmly in first place.

areilly
08-16-2006, 12:13 AM
Pressure isn't on the Tigers. Its on the Sox. They must get ahead of Detroit and make it to 1st place, or they'll be called one year wonders.

By this logic, other great one-year wonders since the dawn of the Wild Card would include the 1996 Dodgers, 2005 Astros, 2004 Angels, 1999 Mets, and the 1999, 2004 and 2005 Red Sox. None of them passed their division leader the second (or third or fourth) time around, but still not bad company to be in.

But you know what? Last year was wonderful...

:cool:

Justagirl
08-16-2006, 12:54 AM
But you know what? Last year was wonderful...

:cool:

Yes it was and you know what else? I have a strong feeling it will be again this year. :smile:

DumpJerry
08-16-2006, 10:58 AM
Are Tigers fans fretting now that Polanco is out after sperating his shoulder??
I was thinking the same thing. Throw in Verlander coming down the Earth, Rogers' second half fade (except for the first 4 innings against us) and you're looking at Tums/Maalox Time!

batmanZoSo
08-16-2006, 11:05 AM
I would argue that missing the playoffs would be a disappointment for the Tigers. What fun is a great ride if you crash at the end of it? Detroit has a chance to make the playoffs for the first time in nearly 20 years. To miss it by a game would leave an awfully bitter taste in the mouth.

Sure, I'd argue the same thing but then as a Sox fan I don't really give a ****...

Baby Fisk
08-16-2006, 11:14 AM
One of my best friends and his brother are lifelong Tigers fans from southern Ontario. They, like us Sox fans, want their team in the playoffs. They, like us Sox fans, know that playoff opportunities do not fall into your lap every other season. They, like us Sox fans, would be crushed if their team faded away and missed the playoffs after such a promising start to the season. They, like us Sox fans, fret and fuss and obsess over the standings every minute of every day.

Any one here from either side who wants to claim they are "not worried" and "feel no pressure" and is "OK with what we've gotten so far" is a lying liar.

To be honest, the Tigers are one of the teams I do not despise (eg. Twins, Jndians, Skankees, Red Cubs, etc etc). If they win the World Series this year, I'll be very happy for my friend, who has suffered through as many miserable baseball seasons as I have. Having gone through a World Championship Season and all of its ecstacies, I wish this kind of experience upon all my friends, regardless of which team they root for in whichever sport.

Now, may the best team win. So long as it isn't New York. :)

AuroraSoxFan
08-16-2006, 11:27 AM
This cracked me up. Nahhhh they're not fretting or frustrated. No way. Must be perfectly normal behavior to charge an ump from the dugout after being called out on strikes. Much as I wanted your "non-frustrated" catcher to be suspended for a while, I'm actually glad Guillen caught him. He would have gotten over his "unfretted" self by beating the crap out of the ump just for doing his job (calling LEGIT strikes).

ShoelessJoeS
08-16-2006, 12:03 PM
Pressure isn't on the Tigers. Its on the Sox. They must get ahead of Detroit and make it to 1st place, or they'll be called one year wonders.Sorry, but the pressure is on you guys to prove that the Tigers aren't a fluke. Kind of like we had to once we made it to the playoffs last year. And why would the Sox feel pressure, we're the defending world champs? Also, not winning the central would not label us one year wonders. There's such thing as the wild card. And how could we be one year wonders if we'd be in first in any other division in baseball and continually beat the **** out of the team with the best record?

*shakes head* Tiger fans...