PDA

View Full Version : From Baseball America scouting reports

Daver
02-21-2002, 06:38 PM
For those that don't get it.

White Sox manager Jerry Manuel included 19-year-old Arnie Munoz in a group of lefthanders competing for a spot in the bullpen while Kelly Wunsch is held back by hamstring problems. The 5-foot-9 Munoz is considered a longshot to jump from low Class A Kannapolis to Chicago, though Manuel was encouraged by reports and impressed by his 6-3, 2.49 record last year. Munoz limited South Atlantic League hitters to a .161 average, surrendering 41 hits in 80 innings. He works an average fastball off a plus curveball and changeup.

doublem23
02-21-2002, 06:40 PM
Did someone say Mike Caruso all over again?

czalgosz
02-21-2002, 06:44 PM
He works an average fastball off a plus curveball and changeup.

That's the key to this Munoz guy - is how "plus" his curve and change are. I would hesitate to give this guy a real chance to make the team out of Spring Training until he shows that he can get guys out in the high minors.

Cheryl
02-21-2002, 06:51 PM
I bet he's really 21.

RedPinStripes
02-21-2002, 07:00 PM
I don't like Manuel's idea.

delben91
02-21-2002, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by doublem23
Did someone say Mike Caruso all over again?

I sincerely hope that management learned its lesson on that one after the Caruso screw up. But, that's probably assuming too much.

Nellie_Fox
02-21-2002, 09:40 PM
It's so much fun to be around Sox fans. If this same thread were going on a Cubs board, everybody would be falling all over themselves about how this kid was just making a stop at Wrigley on his way to the Hall of Fame. Sox fans just know it will always work out for the worst. :D:

Daver
02-21-2002, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
It's so much fun to be around Sox fans. If this same thread were going on a Cubs board, everybody would be falling all over themselves about how this kid was just making a stop at Wrigley on his way to the Hall of Fame. Sox fans just know it will always work out for the worst. :D:

Sox fans will take it a step further,they will figure out how to get onto Baseball America without paying the fee.:redneck

RedPinStripes
02-21-2002, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by daver

Sox fans will take it a step further,they will figure out how to get onto Baseball America without paying the fee.:redneck

Are you a happy little hacker now? Fill me in.

Daver
02-21-2002, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

Are you a happy little hacker now? Fill me in.

Take it to e-mail.Enough said.

RedPinStripes
02-21-2002, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by daver

Take it to e-mail.Enough said.

Understood. :smile:

dugwood31
02-21-2002, 11:03 PM
Munoz might be our only hope for a lefty out of the pen. I'm assuming Wunsch will not be successful this year because of the surgery and his herky-jerky delivery. Vining didn't even get an invite to major league camp this year, did he?

kermittheefrog
02-22-2002, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by dugwood31
Munoz might be our only hope for a lefty out of the pen. I'm assuming Wunsch will not be successful this year because of the surgery and his herky-jerky delivery. Vining didn't even get an invite to major league camp this year, did he?

Vining is on the 40 man roster that's an automatic invite. Don't forget about Onan Masoaka and Thomas Jacquez. The idea of bringing Munoz up to the majors this quickly is simply ridiculous. Often guys like him who don't have good fastballs get hammered upon reaching AA because they don't have big league stuff. His numbers were great but there are cases like Christian Parra last year for the Braves who was being trumpetted as a great prospect with numbers as a starter just as good as Munoz's as a reliever. Well Parra, who didn't have a great heater, got smashed at AA. I'm not saying it takes a great fastball to survive beyond A-ball, that's not true at all but AA is a very good testing ground for minor leaguers in general. For the most part if you succeed in AA you'll see some significant time in the majors. Munoz hasn't even touched AA. If he's on the Sox roster at the beginning of the season I might protest to have K-Willy fired.

doctor30th
02-22-2002, 01:13 AM
Actually Vining is not on the 40 man roster. He was not invited to spring training either.

czalgosz
02-22-2002, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

Vining is on the 40 man roster that's an automatic invite.

Nope, Vining is not on the 40-man roster, as surprising as that is.

White Sox 40-man roster (http://wwww.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/team/cws_team_40manroster.jsp?club_context=mlb)

Ken Vining does not figure in the White Sox' future plans.

dugwood31
02-23-2002, 12:57 AM
Vining or no Vining were in trouble when it comes to getting tough lefties out late in the game.