PDA

View Full Version : No TV on 9/30 v. Twins

MVP
08-15-2006, 01:08 PM
My schedule says that there's "no tv" available for our game v. the Twins at Minnesota on 9/30 at 11:10 AM, the next to last game of the season.

Last year the exact same thing happened to us in Minnesota. This year however, we get "no tv" on the next to last game of the season- a game which could potentially clinch a playoff berth for us.

I believe this whole situation has to do with some college football team needing to use the Metrodome later that day and MLB's broadcasting restrictions.

What in the world were the schedule makers thinking and why are we the ones that are being affected by this same issue two years in a row? This is ridiculous! Is MLB just out to get the Sox and their fans or what?

If MLB must schedule games they can't broadcast late in the season, why not just schedule those games against teams that aren't expected to challenge for a playoff spot (i.e. the Royals or the Devil Rays).

Also, does anyone know what one would have to do to actually watch this game- outside of going to Minnesota- as this is looking like the only alternative right now.

MUsoxfan
08-15-2006, 01:11 PM
Also, does anyone know what one would have to do to actually watch this game- outside of going to Minnesota- as this is looking like the only alternative right now.

That's about it. You can see highlights on the news

chisoxfan79
08-15-2006, 01:12 PM
Looks like that will be a Farmer and Singleton day or maybe MLB TV

bigsoxfan420
08-15-2006, 01:13 PM
The only way you will be able to SEE the game is if the game becomes the Fox Sat. game (if it's a possible clincher that may happen). Otherwise listen to it and use your MIND. Also search the board for other potential answers, I have seen this thread a dozen times over the years.

Scottiehaswheels
08-15-2006, 01:13 PM
I'm so there! :bandance: Section 120

itsnotrequired
08-15-2006, 01:47 PM
I'm more amazed that it happened to the Sox two years in a row.

MUsoxfan
08-15-2006, 01:52 PM

I wish the dopey Gophers would find a high school field to play at. It's not like they ever make a dent in filling that stadium anyway.

Kogs35
08-15-2006, 01:54 PM
dont blame fox for this one, blame the schedule makers. the gophers schedule is made well in advance. if the game is needed on tv it will get there. its been done once, it can be done again.

TDog
08-15-2006, 01:59 PM
That's about it. You can see highlights on the news

Doesn't no television mean no highlights?

hawkjt
08-15-2006, 02:04 PM
I am guilty of complaining about this situation in the past.

Sox fans have to be patient, only three more years of missing one game that could be a clincher -the gophers will have their new stadium done for the 2010 season.

Hang in there , sox fans, only 3 more years of this.

Schedule seems very consistent year to year. Hope ed and Chris are aware of their big audience that game and hold the golf talk to a minimum.

Best case scenario- sox clinch in cleveland earlier in the week or in chicago against seattle the prior weekend. But more likely that it will come down to that last weekend in minny. Go Sox. I can forego seeing the game or post game celebration if they do happen to clinch that day. Just clinch somehow ,someway.

mrfourni
08-15-2006, 02:04 PM

Does that mean it doesn't really take place?

Timmy D's
08-15-2006, 02:14 PM
If a tree falls in the forest, we'll have to take Farmio's word for it.

MUsoxfan
08-15-2006, 02:51 PM

Just because there's no live broadcast doesn't mean there won't be cameras present

Chicken Dinner
08-15-2006, 03:03 PM
Twins schedule says MLBTV only.

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=min&m=9&y=2006

eriqjaffe
08-15-2006, 03:24 PM
Don't worry, the Sox will already have clinced the A.L. Central by the time that game rolls around.

JohnBasedowYoda
08-15-2006, 03:37 PM
Does that mean it doesn't really take place?

If we lose the game I'll go with that.

DSpivack
08-15-2006, 03:53 PM
Twins schedule says MLBTV only.

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=min&m=9&y=2006

But it's a Saturday, so I assume Fox has rights, which means blackout and no MLB.tv.

MUsoxfan
08-15-2006, 03:55 PM
But it's a Saturday, so I assume Fox has rights, which means blackout and no MLB.tv.

Fox might let them do the MLB.tv thing because of the circumstances

itsnotrequired
08-15-2006, 04:07 PM

Yeah, right...

champagne030
08-15-2006, 04:08 PM

It's pure bad luck. Last season we ended the year in Cleveland and the only conflict the Twinkies and Gophers had was when we were in town during mid September. The only Twinkies/Gophers conflict this season is the last Saturday of the regular season. If we would have flopped schedules for last season and this year - no conflict. Actually, I'm guessing this might be more to blame on Disney. The 9/30 Gophers/Michigan game is at night on ESPN/ABC. That game should be at 11:00 like most lower profile Big 10 games. We would then be on TV for a 7:05/7:35 start and no conflicts. I'll be there in person, so all is not lost for me.

Kogs35
08-15-2006, 07:22 PM
It's pure bad luck. Last season we ended the year in Cleveland and the only conflict the Twinkies and Gophers had was when we were in town during mid September. The only Twinkies/Gophers conflict this season is the last Saturday of the regular season. If we would have flopped schedules for last season and this year - no conflict. Actually, I'm guessing this might be more to blame on Disney. The 9/30 Gophers/Michigan game is at night on ESPN/ABC. That game should be at 11:00 like most lower profile Big 10 games. We would then be on TV for a 7:05/7:35 start and no conflicts. I'll be there in person, so all is not lost for me.

all gopher home games when the twins are in town are night.

MVP
08-16-2006, 08:58 AM

Even if the game is broadcast on MLB.tv, isn't the Chicagoland area blocked out from watching it over MLB.tv because the game features a local team?

cbone
08-16-2006, 09:32 AM
I'm so there! :bandance: Section 120

I'm there as well with a group of thugs/friends. :smile: Don't know my seats yet. We're there all weekend.

Sad
08-16-2006, 11:37 AM

I didn't think Fox's game of the week went that late into the season...

I think their Saturday day games end on 9/16... probably because of college football popularity?
seems like sometime in Sep. the MLB Extra Innings Sat. day-game blackout is lifted IIRC...

getonbckthr
08-16-2006, 11:39 AM
Fox will not pick it up because the game time cannot be changed. In fact if the game is not completed by a certain time the game will be suspended til the following day. Gophers are priority #1 in that stadium.

Kogs35
08-16-2006, 12:17 PM
I didn't think Fox's game of the week went that late into the season...

I think their Saturday day games end on 9/16... probably because of college football popularity?
seems like sometime in Sep. the MLB Extra Innings Sat. day-game blackout is lifted IIRC...

from foxsports.com
PROGRAMMING NOTE: The final two Saturdays (September 23 and September 30) are considered "wild-card" dates. Any game or games (up to four) on that day's schedule can be chosen at the network's discretion, given proper identification to Major League Baseball. Games selected will be announced one week prior.

Kogs35
08-16-2006, 12:18 PM
Fox will not pick it up because the game time cannot be changed. In fact if the game is not completed by a certain time the game will be suspended til the following day. Gophers are priority #1 in that stadium.

3 years ago fox had a twins-rangers game that started at 11am central time on there schedule. it was taken off after the rangers flopped in the wild card race earlier in september

Foulke You
08-23-2006, 12:06 PM
I have a feeling if that is a possible wild card clincher for either team or even if we're both tied for the wild card, somehow, they will find a way to negotiate TV rights to broadcast it.

pasquasroachclip
08-23-2006, 03:12 PM
If this game has any playoff implications, Fox better put it on TV. They set a precendent in '03 when the Cubs had a rain out on a Friday afternoon the last weekend vs. Pittsburgh. The game was redscheduled as part of a DH on Saturday. Since the first game started at noon, it was going to be blacked out. The Cubs fans cried enough where Fox allowed the game to be shown in the Chicago & Pittsburgh markets and they used Chip & Steve as the announcers.