PDA

View Full Version : The ghost of "Shoeless Joe" in the stands?

Baby Fisk
08-15-2006, 08:27 AM
Did anyone else who watched the game on TV notice the man sitting behind the visitors' dugout, wearing a complete 1917 Sox uniform? The hat, the jersey, even the pants! He was there for most of the game, but disappeared after about 6 or 7 innings, replaced by someone in modern clothing.

Was it a ghost? Someone from 1917? Perhaps even Shoeless Joe checking out a game in this samfangled new ballpark?

Someone else saw this apparition, surely! :?:

salty99
08-15-2006, 08:29 AM
Did anyone else who watched the game on TV notice the man sitting behind the visitors' dugout, wearing a complete 1917 Sox uniform? The hat, the jersey, even the pants! He was there for most of the game, but disappeared after about 6 or 7 innings, replaced by someone in modern clothing.

Was it a ghost? Someone from 1917? Perhaps even Shoeless Joe checking out a game in this samfangled new ballpark?

I saw and I believed.

lumpyspun
08-15-2006, 08:29 AM
That guy was around last year too during the playoffs...probably the same guy.

SoXPriDe33
08-15-2006, 08:30 AM
Yeah I saw him too. He was also in the World Series DVD but that time he looked like he was standing on the dugout.

itsnotrequired
08-15-2006, 08:34 AM
Some guy decked out in full 1917 gear won the Pepsi Tuesday challenge earlier this year.

NoNeckEra
08-15-2006, 08:35 AM
And last Friday nite I saw him talking to Elvis in the concourse!

Justagirl
08-15-2006, 08:42 AM

I didnt notice him, but for some reason this post really made me lol. I read this to a friend of mine, assuming he'd laugh also but he said he saw him too, and is now convinced that shoeless joe is haunting the cell.

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-15-2006, 08:45 AM
I didnt notice him, but for some reason this post really made me lol. I read this to a friend of mine, assuming he'd laugh also but he said he saw him too, and is now convinced that shoeless joe is haunting the cell.

So this coincides with Costner going back to Iowa to play on the Field of Dreams?

I say, bring 'em all back. We welcome the presence.

credefan24
08-15-2006, 09:05 AM
Wasn't there a rumor that Jackson had haunted the upper deck at the old park? Supposedly there is some tie in with his birthday (July 1), and the last no hitter at Sox park, July 1, 1990 (Andy Hawkins of the Yanks lost that, because of some errors, if memory serves correctly).
At any rate, I may just be totally off, so you can feel free to disregard this post!

Great thread though! LOL

Justagirl
08-15-2006, 09:09 AM
Wasn't there a rumor that Jackson had haunted the upper deck at the old park? Supposedly there is some tie in with his birthday (July 1), and the last no hitter at Sox park, July 1, 1990 (Andy Hawkins of the Yanks lost that, because of some errors, if memory serves correctly).
At any rate, I may just be totally off, so you can feel free to disregard this post!

Great thread though! LOL
Sorry about the off topic random post, but I love your sig. SO true. :smile:

jenn2080
08-15-2006, 09:09 AM
I saw the guy at the home opener this year and maybe one other time. They showed him on tv last night too.

FielderJones
08-15-2006, 09:16 AM

July 1, 1910 is also opening day at old Comiskey.

skottyj242
08-15-2006, 09:39 AM
I've met this guy before, his shoes are vintage. He pointed them out to me on opening day during the rain delay.

Baby Fisk
08-15-2006, 09:41 AM
I've met this guy before, his shoes are vintage. He pointed them out to me on opening day during the rain delay.
Were you able to pass your arm right through his body?

skottyj242
08-15-2006, 09:42 AM
Were you able to pass your arm right through his body?

We had a catch.

sox420fan
08-15-2006, 09:45 AM
I've seen him too....he said that Ty Cobb asked if he could come and they told him to stick it!!!!!

jenn2080
08-15-2006, 09:48 AM
Something about low and away or in your ear....weird.

no ray....it was you!

ajismyhero
08-15-2006, 09:49 AM
IronFisk and I saw him as we were leaving the ball park last night - i gave him a high five and my hand did not pass through his.

Shift
08-15-2006, 09:50 AM
July 1 was the Andy Hawkins no-hitter.

http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlibrary/excerpts/records_registry20.stm

Shoeless was born 16 July, however. This is the first I've heard of the supposed haunting. Maybe if the franchise changed its name to the Cubs or Red Sox the story would get more play. ESPN could do a whole 'Behind the Scenes' on it.

markopat
08-15-2006, 10:21 AM
I saw this guy too...he was using a cell phone? Shoeless Joe Knows Cell Phones!

08-15-2006, 10:41 AM
This thread rules!

HotelWhiteSox
08-15-2006, 10:43 AM
Specifically remember him during Game 1 of the ALDS vs Boston, he was rallying everyone to get up as the Sox rocked Matt Clement

Kub_Killer_15
08-15-2006, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by markopat
I saw this guy too...he was using a cell (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/) phone? Shoeless Joe Knows Cell Phones!

Problay prank calling ghost busters

kninchicago
08-15-2006, 10:47 AM
I've seen this guy around the park a few times. I think his uniform is so awesome. He must have had it custom made? I just get a kick out of it.

Baby Fisk
08-15-2006, 11:24 AM
Here he is inspiring Thome to hit a home run
Wow, you caught him on tape! Well done. Does it look like Joe Jackson or could it be someone else?

soltrain21
08-15-2006, 11:27 AM
Real guy or not...that is creepy.

mikesouthside
08-15-2006, 11:36 AM
Here he is inspiring Thome to hit a home run

Who's the guy sitting right in front of him? He and his brother? are at EVERY GAME !!! Anyone from WSI?

Mercy!
08-15-2006, 12:18 PM
Well, I love that uni, and the guy always seems to have good seats. But I'm afraid I don't think of Shoeless Joe, I think of Ronnie Woo Woo when I see a civilian walking around in public decked out in a team's complete uniform.

mwc44
08-15-2006, 12:20 PM
Voice in Spring 2005: "Kenny... if you build it, he will come..."

October, 2005: WORLD CHAMPIONS!!!

Monday, August 14, 2006: Look who shows up!

*** Remember, a winter snow went by in Iowa, before Karen said:"Daddy, there's a man out on your lawn..."

lakeviewsoxfan
08-15-2006, 12:21 PM
Who's the guy sitting right in front of him? He and his brother? are at EVERY GAME !!! Anyone from WSI?

Those guys are at every game, sweet season tickets im guessing?? The one guy with the darker hair sits by himself alot during the week I have noticed.

Wsoxmike59
08-15-2006, 01:40 PM
I thought it was a very strange coincidence last year right before the playoffs began, when Roger Clemen's mother Bess passed away, and on her death bed she mentioned "Shoeless Joe".

When this guy at work told me about it before the series began I had that hair stands on the back of the neck type of feeling. It was pretty eerie.

It was like Bess Clemens knew Roger and the Astros were going to face the White Sox in the World Series and Shoeless Joe was coming to meet her and to take her home so to speak.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/10/22/eveningnews/main965256.shtml

hawkjt
08-15-2006, 02:17 PM
I feel like the one guy if front of him is part of the family, I see him so much.

Guess that speaks to the balance in our lineup with some good leftys and hence the many shots with this guy in the background. He is a solid sox fan- studies the game closely, holds his liquor, rarely bathroom breaks, does not eat at all, and never misses a game. Stoic but supportive.

Even middle of the week day games- he is there. I want his job.

lakeviewsoxfan
08-15-2006, 02:35 PM
I feel like the one guy if front of him is part of the family, I see him so much.

Guess that speaks to the balance in our lineup with some good leftys and hence the many shots with this guy in the background. He is a solid sox fan- studies the game closely, holds his liquor, rarely bathroom breaks, does not eat at all, and never misses a game. Stoic but supportive.

Even middle of the week day games- he is there. I want his job.

I dont think he drinks beer. I never have saw him. As for his job my guess would be he owns his own business he has to he is at EVERY GAME, with the best seats to boot.

Baby Fisk
08-15-2006, 02:52 PM
I wonder if these folks have any notion that they have attained a level of notoriety on the internet (the Always In The Same Seat Guy, the 1917 Guy, the M&Ms Guy, etc...)

lakeviewsoxfan
08-15-2006, 03:02 PM
I wonder if these folks have any notion that they have attained a level of notoriety on the internet (the Always In The Same Seat Guy, the 1917 Guy, the M&Ms Guy, etc...)

I would have to guess the guys behind the vistors dugout yes. I bet that they frequently visit WSI often. The one guy is there like I mentioned every game,

DannyCaterFan
08-15-2006, 03:36 PM
That guy we see on TV has been in those seats for years. I always thought he might work for the Sox.

lakeviewsoxfan
08-15-2006, 03:40 PM
That guy we see on TV has been in those seats for years. I always thought he might work for the Sox.

I think they might be in ownership but I think they are just fans like us. If you are one of these guys in ? reply and tell us alll how you find the time to make it to 75+ games a year. Oh and by the way Nice Seats!!

JohnBasedowYoda
08-15-2006, 03:44 PM
This guy and Soxman rule! Also, did anyone notice (maybe I was drunk) but Soxman had a sidekick yesterday.

We definitely have Woo Woo topped.

Baby Fisk
08-15-2006, 03:46 PM
This guy and Soxman rule! Also, did anyone notice (maybe I was drunk) but Soxman had a sidekick yesterday.

Do you mean the guy in the faux-batman costume with white sox hanging off his bat ears? The sidekick, presumably is Robin (Ventura)? Or maybe its his leather-boy slave, but let's not think of things like that...

lakeviewsoxfan
08-15-2006, 03:47 PM
:roflmao: :roflmao: Do you mean the guy in the faux-batman costume with white sox hanging off his bat ears? The sidekick, presumably is Robin (Ventura)? Or maybe its his leather-boy slave, but let's not think of things like that...

Fake Chet Lemon
08-15-2006, 03:56 PM
Last year in August,when Cleveland was charging I dropped to my knees and exhaulted. "LORD!!! Please give me a sign that all will be OK."

Then a ghostly head began floating about my room. It was Shoeless Joe. And he smiled. The vision disappeared as quickly as it appeared, and the next instant.......Joe Crede hit a walk off home run to slay the mighty Indians.

..............somethin like dat anyway

digdagdug23
08-15-2006, 04:04 PM
Or maybe its his leather-boy slave, but let's not think of things like that...

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:2Zbdp25QQJIp8M:http://press.comedycentral.com/images/press/gallery/h/southpark/708_South_Park_Is_Gay_2.jpg

These guys haunt "The Cell"? Oh Jethus Chrithst............

MySoxAreClean
08-15-2006, 06:35 PM
Hey I been looking for that Guy, He owes my Guy some dough.....

GarlandFan21
08-15-2006, 07:18 PM
Soxman has his own myspace
http://www.myspace.com/thesoxman

BV2005
08-16-2006, 03:15 AM
maybe its more than a coincidence that we have a prospect named ray liotta, and all of a sudden this ghost resurfaces.:?: