PDA

View Full Version : KW responds to Exec of Year award snub

ChiSox14305635
08-15-2006, 01:19 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-060814mitchell,1,7175914.column?coll=cs-whitesox-utility

Love this quote:

"The way we were perceived the entire year, all until the last out [in the World Series] really ... the players didn't get many accolades from the national scene. The way I figured it, before me, they certainly should get [recognition]. So if they are not getting it, I don't want it. We are all in this together."
:bandance::cool::bandance:

PKalltheway
08-15-2006, 01:25 AM
That fella in Cleveland (whatever his name is), can keep that Exec of the Year award. KW already has what he set out for, and I can tell you with confidence that it wasn't an Exec of the Year award.:cool: Plus, with each passing year, he's going to feel that he deserves that award less and less if Cleveland continues to stink up the place.

fquaye149
08-15-2006, 06:49 PM
Shapiro made like, one move last year, signing Millwood. Maybe I'm missing one (Wickman perhaps?)...I still have no idea how he won that award.

Meanwhile KW made a slew of moves that were much-maligned at season's start and proved instrumental to the team's success...

I usually don't get too worked up over awards snubs but this one really stumped me. I guess the voters just be bigger morons than I thought.

Ol' No. 2
08-15-2006, 06:51 PM
Shapiro made like, one move last year, signing Millwood. Maybe I'm missing one (Wickman perhaps?)...I still have no idea how he won that award.

Meanwhile KW made a slew of moves that were much-maligned at season's start and proved instrumental to the team's success...

I usually don't get too worked up over awards snubs but this one really stumped me. I guess the voters just be bigger morons than I thought.The voting was done in mid-September. That should tell a lot - both about the process and the people doing the voting.

fquaye149
08-15-2006, 06:54 PM
The voting was done in mid-September. That should tell a lot - both about the process and the people doing the voting.

I understand what you're saying there...but the main components of that run the jndjans made were already on the team.

Was it retroactive respect for having young talent?

Or was it just ignorance? either way it was annoying

Ol' No. 2
08-15-2006, 06:56 PM
I understand what you're saying there...but the main components of that run the jndjans made were already on the team.

Or was it just ignorance? either way it was annoyingPeople got wowed by a pretty nice run with a young team and forgot who was in first place after being picked to finish fourth. And it was more than annoying.

SoxSpeed22
08-15-2006, 07:00 PM
People got wowed by a pretty nice run with a young team and forgot who was in first place after being picked to finish fourth. And it was more than annoying.Don't forget that at that time, it was a forgone conclusion, from the national view, that the young team with the nice run would win the World Series and the team in first place was a sure choke. And it was more than annoying.

IlliniSox4Life
08-15-2006, 07:03 PM
The only thing I really care about is that [World Series] trophy. And I am not trying to diminish the award. But the only thing I care about are championship banners and trophies.
Kenny gets it. I guess a lot of others get it too, so it's not like he's extremely special in understanding that winning is what matters, but it is refreshing to hear. Everything else will fall in line behind winning. If you win, you'll get your share of awards, but in the end, you don't have to put up stats or win awards, you just need banners and trophies.

Scottzilla
08-15-2006, 07:06 PM
how many exec of the year awards do you think KW could trade for his WS ring?

batmanZoSo
08-15-2006, 07:27 PM

Or was it just ignorance? either way it was annoying

More like a complete and utter travesty. Not that hardware means a damn thing, but the sheer principle of the matter just boggles the mind. KW was so unbelievably the Executive of the Year it's not even funny.

Ol' No. 2
08-15-2006, 07:30 PM
More like a complete and utter travesty. Not that hardware means a damn thing, but the sheer principle of the matter just boggles the mind. KW was so unbelievably the Executive of the Year it's not even funny.Who wants to be that Dombrowski will get it this year?

batmanZoSo
08-15-2006, 07:37 PM
Who wants to be that Dombrowski will get it this year?

Probably. KW at least deserves a make-up EotY Award, but he probably won't get it. It won't be as big of a travesty, but still major gyppage. I mean again, what did Dumbrowski do other than watch his young team gel on the field under the miraculous tutelage of Jim Leyland? On the other hand, KW managed to put together an even better team (with a few big trades and some more of his yearly magic, finding quality role guys from nowhere) than the one which won the World Series the previous year. Maintaining a WS team alone is harder than people will ever give credit for, let alone improving one one--that is without the advantage of being able to just throw money at your team.

34rancher
08-15-2006, 09:19 PM
Hmmm....$20,000+ ring? or Paperweight trophy? Hmmm, I know the answer to this one...Wait, let me think.....This one is tough...

Lip Man 1
08-15-2006, 11:25 PM
34:

According to Billy Pierce the ring is not worth 20,000 he said that was a newspaper error. Billy said it's worth about 8,000...still not chump change.

Lip

34rancher
08-15-2006, 11:29 PM
34:

According to Billy Pierce the ring is not worth 20,000 he said that was a newspaper error. Billy said it's worth about 8,000...still not chump change.

Lip
Did they ever announce the actual ring winners? I guess we will find out for sure what they are worth when taxes for said winners are filed....8,000 seems a lot more like it. They should off all of us one too. :cool:

CAREY33
08-16-2006, 09:13 AM
Who wants to be that Dombrowski will get it this year?

Who do you think should get it ?

Oblong
08-16-2006, 09:21 AM
Isn't Executive of the Year just the same criteria as manager of the year?

"Who is the manager/executive of the team that surprised all of us experts the most?"

As we know, the experts don't really know that much. They know less than the fans do. I really believe that. Conventional Wisdom is often wrong. It was conventional wisdom prior to 2005 that Kenny wasn't a good GM and was in over his head. To quote Tony Montana "Look at you now!"

Then when the team that manager/executive belongs to starts to sustain the success the manager gets even less credit as time goes on. "Oh, anybody could manage that team" becomes the mantra.

Baseball America named the Detroit Tigers the "Organization of the Year" in 1997 or 1998. That's all you have to know about that type of stuff.

Kenny Williams has the award he needs.

socko82
08-16-2006, 09:28 AM

It was probably his shrewd move of giving Juan Gonzalez a million bucks for that one at bat he got out of him that clinched the award for Shapiro.

Oblong
08-16-2006, 09:40 AM
He signed Jason Johnson in the offseason, how can he not win it again this year?

Ziggy S
08-16-2006, 04:31 PM
He signed Jason Johnson in the offseason, how can he not win it again this year?
:tealtutor:
:tealpolice:

soxfanreggie
08-17-2006, 12:28 AM
My guess is the value is under $10,000, but the taxes would still look to be over $2,500.

As for Exec of the Year awards...I could see KW winning one in the next few years, but I would love to see him add more championship banners to the trophy case.