PDA

View Full Version : Will the continued success of the Sox help the SS and near SS?

vegetagd
08-14-2006, 09:39 PM
I was curious if you guys thought that the continued success of the Sox would help develop the South Side & Near South Side.

There are not a lot of nice bars, and places to hang out near the stadium or the near south side. If the staidum continues to stay packed this year and for the next three to five years, and if the Sox can be a runner for the post season every year do you think developers will find properties attractive in the area? Just curious.

SoxFanPrope
08-14-2006, 09:42 PM
I was curious if you guys thought that the continued success of the Sox would help develop the South Side & Near South Side.

There are not a lot of nice bars, and places to hang out near the stadium or the near south side. If the staidum continues to stay packed this year and for the next three to five years, and if the Sox can be a runner for the post season every year do you think developers will find properties attractive in the area? Just curious. Couldn't hurt......

Actually a lot has already been done to improve the areas surrounding USCF. It also seems like Richie has some more plans for the rest of the south side.

EDIT: I only posted about what I have seen. I do not know any specifics if there are any.

havelj
08-14-2006, 09:58 PM
The issue with restaurants and especially bars is if they will get good business from November to March. If not, you won't see any major movement that way.

Article from Trib yesterday (might require registration) on the area:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-0608130239aug13,1,5375939.story

35th&Shields
08-14-2006, 09:58 PM

It already has. Property values in Bridgeport have increased dramatically in recent years and last year was a "shot in the arm." Going east of the stadium many of the projects are coming down and being replaced with mixed income housing (I think it's mixed income). Look at the area around Cabrini Green to see what successful mixed income housing looks like.

maurice
08-14-2006, 10:09 PM
There are not a lot of nice bars, and places to hang out near the stadium or the near south side.

Actually, there are a ton of bars, restaurants, etc. on the near south side. The problem (if there is one) is that they're all 2 blocks or more from the Cell, because it's surrounded by asphalt and controlled by JR and the State. Between 2 blocks and a mile, there are several good options, most of which have been mentioned on this site. When you consider the entirety of Bridgeport and the adjacent neighborhoods, there are tons of places.

lakeviewsoxfan
08-14-2006, 10:25 PM
Actually, there are a ton of bars, restaurants, etc. on the near south side. The problem (if there is one) is that they're all 2 blocks or more from the Cell, because it's surrounded by asphalt and controlled by JR and the State. Between 2 blocks and a mile, there are several good options, most of which have been mentioned on this site. When you consider the entirety of Bridgeport and the adjacent neighborhoods, there are tons of places.

No doubt my favorite mexican joint as well as pizza place are across the street from each other those being Pancho Pistolas and Freddies. Best damn steak tacos in the city and Freddys pizza slices are legendary.

Senerch23
08-14-2006, 10:35 PM

I would love to see a few parking lots built over the Ryan from 33rd to 37th and a couple of the current lots then built on with some mixed-use development. The high-density of the development would ensure that businesses would be visited year round, especially with all the new places being built east of the Ryan.

Frontman
08-14-2006, 10:48 PM
Every time I'm down on the "old neighborhood" I actually am surprised at how much its improved. The newer houses look great, which only helps the property value of a neighborhood to see new houses going up. I personally love heading over to Halsted or Archer and hitting some of the old stand-by resturants/bars, Connie's Pizza always being a favorite.

Front

Scottzilla
08-15-2006, 12:28 AM
for most buyers the stadium would only be a deterrent because of traffic etc.
the revitalization on the near south side is the same thats happening on the near west side. people just want to be in the city again.

Sargeant79
08-15-2006, 10:38 AM
No doubt my favorite mexican joint as well as pizza place are across the street from each other those being Pancho Pistolas and Freddies. Best damn steak tacos in the city and Freddys pizza slices are legendary.

Good choices on both...I eat at each once a week on average. Pancho Pistolas also has very good margaritas.

As for the neighborhood, residential development and increases in residential property values are usually precursers to business expansion. The more people with money move in, the more businesses will follow them...it just takes a little longer. About 5 years ago, you could get a really nice 3 bedroom ranch house in Bridgeport for less thank 200K. They cost about twice that now, not to mention all the new construction that's going for 500K or more. Once businesses see the income demographic of the neighborhood continue to change, they'll move in to take advantage of it.

sox420fan
08-15-2006, 10:51 AM
Mod Edit: Now if only we could get rid of people's not-so-subtly racist remarks.

MVP
08-15-2006, 11:19 AM

I love Freddies. That Maxwell Street stand on 31st is good too after the game.

The Immigrant
08-15-2006, 11:26 AM
Don't forget that the South Loop has an excellent selection of bars and restaurants, most of which are within a $7-8 cab ride from the Cell, plus it has reasonable parking options. I don't think we should expect bars to pop up immediately around the Cell, mostly because their revenue stream would be limited to the period from April through October (:praying:), but also because the people of Bridgeport are not too keen on additional bars being built in their neighborhood.

As far as the projects are concerned, the mixed income developments around Cabrini have been a success so far, and I hope that the City will try to do the same in the Bronzeville area to the east of the Cell.

hawkjt
08-15-2006, 11:31 AM
I was hoping the bears would have built a new staduim next to Soxpark so that it would have year-round traffic and could incorporate a resturant/bar complex within a new stadium that would service both stadiums year-round.

But I do not live in the neighborhood so I can see why some would not like this. moot point, I know. Just thought it could have worked out.

Senerch23
08-15-2006, 11:41 AM
Eventually with all the new development, the demand will be too much to deny new restaurants and bars from opening. Nobody likes going to the local place and waiting an hour for a table.

Property values will continue to jump, especially once the new park at the old Stearns Quarry site is finished. That is going to be a very large park.

Sargeant79
08-15-2006, 11:51 AM
Eventually with all the new development, the demand will be too much to deny new restaurants and bars from opening. Nobody likes going to the local place and waiting an hour for a table.

Property values will continue to jump, especially once the new park at the old Stearns Quarry site is finished. That is going to be a very large park.

Out of curiosity, do you happen to know how long it's going to be before it's finished? Also, do you know if the new park is going to replace McGuane Park or be linked with it?

Senerch23
08-15-2006, 12:08 PM
Out of curiosity, do you happen to know how long it's going to be before it's finished? Also, do you know if the new park is going to replace McGuane Park or be linked with it?

McGuane will still be there as the new park won't have any indoor facilities but I don't think they will be linked at all. You'll just have to cross the street though. Everything there will be new to parks in the area with a sledding hill, fishing pond and soccer field.

The Bridegport News, if I remember correctly, said it would be done by the end of the year but there hasn't been much going on there in '06.

Luke
08-15-2006, 12:41 PM

Bridgeport has been pretty hot for a while. It looks like it's following a similar pattern to Wicker Park. A lot of artists moved into the area, which is followed by new condos and development, and then the retail and entertainment come.
Hopefully Bridgeport maintains its character and resists the Starbuck's and Corner Bakery.

What is the new park at Stearn's Quarry?

PalehosePlanet
08-15-2006, 12:55 PM
The issue with restaurants and especially bars is if they will get good business from November to March. If not, you won't see any major movement that way.

Article from Trib yesterday (might require registration) on the area:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-0608130239aug13,1,5375939.story

There is already alot of new people and new money in the area. Keep in mind that most people would perfer to walk a block or two for a nice dinner or drinks rather than always have to get in their cars and go. Business would still be solid even in the offseason months. I've talked to people that have recently moved to the area (or some that have moved back to the area) and they'd love a few more restaurants/hangouts.

batmanZoSo
08-15-2006, 01:04 PM
Don't forget that the South Loop has an excellent selection of bars and restaurants, most of which are within a $7-8 cab ride from the Cell, plus it has reasonable parking options. I don't think we should expect bars to pop up immediately around the Cell, mostly because their revenue stream would be limited to the period from April through October (:praying:), but also because the people of Bridgeport are not too keen on additional bars being built in their neighborhood.

As far as the projects are concerned, the mixed income developments around Cabrini have been a success so far, and I hope that the City will try to do the same in the Bronzeville area to the east of the Cell.

Bronzeville is on the way up big time. That's probably one of the best places to buy right now for appreciation.

WikdChiSoxFan
08-15-2006, 01:53 PM
gentrification can suck it. i don't want gold coast tickets or whatever taking away all my good seats. and somebody bought puffers, now its gonna be different. :whiner:

TDog
08-15-2006, 02:00 PM
The success of the Yankees didn't help their neighborhood.

Senerch23
08-15-2006, 02:05 PM
The success of the Yankees didn't help their neighborhood.

Two very different cities. Chicago and New York aren't even on the same scale as each other.

Also, Bridgeport was never even close to the levels of crime and poverty of the South Bronx during the 60's through the 80's. you can make a case for east of the Dan Ryan though.

Walker29
08-15-2006, 02:12 PM
On the topic of development, I heard on the Friday night pre-game remote from Jimbo's that Jimbo's is closing its doors after the season. Either Jimbo's is not re-signing their lease or the building is not allowing Jimbo's to re-sign. Anybody have more info on this? The Score made it sound like there is a whole "Save Jimbo's" campaign starting up.

PalehosePlanet
08-15-2006, 02:21 PM
On the topic of development, I heard on the Friday night pre-game remote from Jimbo's that Jimbo's is closing its doors after the season. Either Jimbo's is not re-signing their lease or the building is not allowing Jimbo's to re-sign. Anybody have more info on this? The Score made it sound like there is a whole "Save Jimbo's" campaign starting up.

Hey Walk, go into the 'What's The Score' section to find the ongoing thread of 'Jimbo's Closing?'

Sargeant79
08-15-2006, 03:52 PM
McGuane will still be there as the new park won't have any indoor facilities but I don't think they will be linked at all. You'll just have to cross the street though. Everything there will be new to parks in the area with a sledding hill, fishing pond and soccer field.

The Bridegport News, if I remember correctly, said it would be done by the end of the year but there hasn't been much going on there in '06.

Thanks for the info - sounds like it will be pretty nice.

maurice
08-15-2006, 04:20 PM

Already in progress. Take a stroll down 35th St. between the Ryan and the Green Line, and note the construction site on the south side of the street. That used to be high-rise projects. Soon, it will be mixed-income homes.

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-15-2006, 04:54 PM
This doesn't really tie into the neighborhoods, but it is an interesting piece of info...

THE ISFA is working with several federal agencies about using the original generators and equipment from the original Comiskey II build to turn the north parking lots into "emergency zones". My company sold the original units and the recent generator upgrade to the Cell, so we are involved with working with the ISFA to upgrade the older equipment and place into the lots in opposite ends. With the location of the Cell to 90/94 and 55 the feds decided that in the event of a major disaster the location and available space make sense. Should have zero impact on parking, traffic flow, etc.

paciorek1983
08-15-2006, 06:39 PM
Already in progress. Take a stroll down 35th St. between the Ryan and the Green Line, and note the construction site on the south side of the street. That used to be high-rise projects. Soon, it will be mixed-income homes.

Here is what it's going to look like:

http://www.parkboulevardchicago.com/about.html

paciorek1983
08-15-2006, 07:19 PM
Here is what it's going to look like:

http://www.parkboulevardchicago.com/about.html

I figure with this development, retail/restaurant/bars will end up somewhere along the east side of State between 35th and Pershing. I think it would be interesting to see that happen. Having a few places to go begore and after the game with the ballpark in sight would be pretty cool.:cool:

NorthSideSox72
08-16-2006, 02:05 PM
I think its interesting that there are so many condos going up in Bridgeport (as opposed to houses). I think that says a lot about the changing crowd.

Also, for those who didn't know... Metra is still planning on putting a stop in at 35th along the Rock Island line (right there on the east side of the Ryan).

Add that to the IIT re-development of the old Taylor Homes land, and things are a-changing.

vegetagd
08-16-2006, 10:07 PM
I guess I have a somewhat vested interest becuase My wife, and I have a condo due for completion right on the corner of 16th & Halsted. There is no question that UIC is throwing money, and investments at that area from the North, but it would also be awesome if the Sox could help turn Halsted into a "Gateway to Cell", and rejuvaenate that area so I could have a beer at a top notch bar every block from my house to the cell!