PDA

View Full Version : Dear Ed Farmer

Britt Burns
08-14-2006, 08:17 PM
Ed,

First off, let me say that I am old enough that you used to be one of my favorite players on the Sox. I really liked how you settled your differences with Al Cowens like a man, and I am pretty sure you were the first Sox reliever to get 30 saves (or the first in a while at least). Unlike many on this board, I even think you are a halfway decent announcer, although it is clear you are better at color than play-by-play. I think you have done an admirable job bringing Singleton along, and I can even see you two beginning to get some chemistry going. I live outside of Chicago and listen over the net to every game that is not televised, so I feel confident in saying that you and Chris do a solid if not spectacular job every night and there definitely has been improvement since the beginning of the year.

That being said, you are driving me freaking nuts.

Let me sum up the problem in one word: Golf. I can live with the ludicrously obvious statements ('If the next three batters reach and Konerko homers, that will be a grand slam') and the interminable lags between a play and the call (Dye swings.......................through the hole..............two run single) and even the flat monotone calls for seemingly exciting plays ('AJ homers off Dempster, Sox up by two in the ninth') I can live with those things, but I can not live with hearing every single game-and I am not exaggerating here-listening to you talk about golf in some form or fashion. You have walked me hole by hole, stroke by stroke through at least eighteen courses this season. I am happy that you have a hobby you enjoy so much, I truly am. Oddly enough though, many fans-and I don't feel like it is going out on a limb to speak for others on this board and Sox fans in general-tune in to a baseball game to hear about, you know, baseball. Not golf.

I mean, come on, it is common sense. If you were calling the Kentucky Derby, would you work in a soliloquy on John Daly's swing during the last furlough? If you were doing the Super Bowl, would you meander about the intricacies of Tiger's career during the two minute warning? Okay, so you don't have to answer that, but please Ed, please, lay off the golf talk. Some of us find golf tedious and inane, and others who do enjoy the game would theoretically be actually golfing instead of listening to the Sox if that is what they preferred. Is this a subconscious manifestation of your desire to get out of baseball and start calling games on the PGA tour? If so, more power to you. Hell, I'll fax your resume to ABC myself if that is what you want. Maybe you can work out a deal to bring Singelton along with you.

If not, however, please, please Ed, leave the links out of the broadcast booth, or at least limit yourself to one brief reference a game. One of the happiest days of my life was when I figured out I could listen to every single Sox game over the net for next to nothing. Little did I know my MLB.com membership also cross-enrolled me on PGA webcasts, and I while I am never one to walk away from a freebie I would much prefer to hear you call another world championship season for my beloved White Sox, and not the 3rd Annual Minor Celebrity Scramble that occured last month in Cleveland.

Sincerely,
WSI User Name Britt Burns

p.s. Please pass this note on to Hawk and tell him this applies to him as well.

Frontman
08-14-2006, 08:36 PM
Well, without golf, what would Hawk and Ed have to say to their partners in the booth? Talk baseball?

Nellie_Fox
08-15-2006, 12:11 AM
Oh, thank you. I even like golf, and I'm sick to death of listening to Farmio talk about it.

harwar
08-15-2006, 08:01 AM
Ed,

First off, let me say that I am old enough that you used to be one of my favorite players on the Sox. I really liked how you settled your differences with Al Cowens like a man, and I am pretty sure you were the first Sox reliever to get 30 saves (or the first in a while at least). Unlike many on this board, I even think you are a halfway decent announcer, although it is clear you are better at color than play-by-play. I think you have done an admirable job bringing Singleton along, and I can even see you two beginning to get some chemistry going. I live outside of Chicago and listen over the net to every game that is not televised, so I feel confident in saying that you and Chris do a solid if not spectacular job every night and there definitely has been improvement since the beginning of the year.

That being said, you are driving me freaking nuts.

Let me sum up the problem in one word: Golf. I can live with the ludicrously obvious statements ('If the next three batters reach and Konerko homers, that will be a grand slam') and the interminable lags between a play and the call (Dye swings.......................through the hole..............two run single) and even the flat monotone calls for seemingly exciting plays ('AJ homers off Dempster, Sox up by two in the ninth') I can live with those things, but I can not live with hearing every single game-and I am not exaggerating here-listening to you talk about golf in some form or fashion. You have walked me hole by hole, stroke by stroke through at least eighteen courses this season. I am happy that you have a hobby you enjoy so much, I truly am. Oddly enough though, many fans-and I don't feel like it is going out on a limb to speak for others on this board and Sox fans in general-tune in to a baseball game to hear about, you know, baseball. Not golf.

I mean, come on, it is common sense. If you were calling the Kentucky Derby, would you work in a soliloquy on John Daly's swing during the last furlough? If you were doing the Super Bowl, would you meander about the intricacies of Tiger's career during the two minute warning? Okay, so you don't have to answer that, but please Ed, please, lay off the golf talk. Some of us find golf tedious and inane, and others who do enjoy the game would theoretically be actually golfing instead of listening to the Sox if that is what they preferred. Is this a subconscious manifestation of your desire to get out of baseball and start calling games on the PGA tour? If so, more power to you. Hell, I'll fax your resume to ABC myself if that is what you want. Maybe you can work out a deal to bring Singelton along with you.

If not, however, please, please Ed, leave the links out of the broadcast booth, or at least limit yourself to one brief reference a game. One of the happiest days of my life was when I figured out I could listen to every single Sox game over the net for next to nothing. Little did I know my MLB.com membership also cross-enrolled me on PGA webcasts, and I while I am never one to walk away from a freebie I would much prefer to hear you call another world championship season for my beloved White Sox, and not the 3rd Annual Minor Celebrity Scramble that occured last month in Cleveland.

Sincerely,
WSI User Name Britt Burns

p.s. Please pass this note on to Hawk and tell him this applies to him as well.
Man O Manischewitz .. thats the funiest thing that i've seen on here in quite some time.:roflmao:

eriqjaffe
08-15-2006, 08:32 AM
If Farmio didn't tell me, I'd probably forget Holy Week every year. ;)

lumpyspun
08-15-2006, 08:37 AM
I met Jon Daly when I was Iceland two weeks ago.

MrRoboto83
08-15-2006, 08:42 AM
I need to be told a bloop and a blast will get you within a slam, I'd be lost without Farmio.

roylestillman
08-15-2006, 08:49 AM
You had me until the last furlough...

wdelaney72
08-15-2006, 10:16 AM
Couldn't agree more. If you won't to talk golf, go announce the PGA. I can't stand hearing about it during a baseball game.

cbone
08-15-2006, 10:50 AM
Hawk missed a whole inning last night shooting the crap about old times with the president of the PGA.

Absolutley brutal.

MsSoxVixen22
08-15-2006, 10:56 AM
Hawk missed a whole inning last night shooting the crap about old times with the president of the PGA.

Absolutley brutal.

Oh I know! I was like, call the ****ing game!

cbotnyse
08-15-2006, 11:00 AM
I rarely listen to games on the radio. can someone give me some funny examples of his golf obsessed calls during the game?

PatK
08-15-2006, 11:23 AM
The Sox have always been considered to have more of a blue collar fan base.

Why would they try to reach out and connect to them by talking about the ultimate white collar game?

CaptainBallz
08-15-2006, 11:34 AM

Why would they try to reach out and connect to them by talking about the ultimate white collar game?

:rolleyes:

Kub_Killer_15
08-15-2006, 12:38 PM
You forgot that he doesnt sounded excited. Also he goes to much in detail for a balls and strikes you can say low and outside ball 1 but he goes thats way down and a little outside he missed his target by 2 feet...I think it slipped out of his hand and while doing this he doesnt seem excited at all.

TDog
08-15-2006, 12:42 PM

Maybe because Harrelson is so popular. I can't imagine Farmer would talk more golf than he does.

stacksedwards
08-15-2006, 01:26 PM
If Farmio didn't tell me, I'd probably forget Holy Week every year. ;)

A happy Easter and happy Passover to our Jewish friends. He says it all day for that whole week.

wdelaney72
08-15-2006, 01:26 PM
Maybe because Harrelson is so popular. I can't imagine Farmer would talk more golf than he does.

He at LEAST talks about it as much as Hawk, if not more.

PatK
08-15-2006, 02:15 PM

With Harrelson, at least you have the game that you can watch and zone out what he's talking about. You don't have that option with Farmio.

kninchicago
08-15-2006, 03:58 PM
With Harrelson, at least you have the game that you can watch and zone out what he's talking about. You don't have that option with Farmio.

Exactly. For instance last night, I was teaching a music lesson until 7:30. As I got in my car to head home I had The Score on. You think I was able to figure out what was happening w/the game in the first 5 minutes? Nope. Too busy talking golf.

However I do like how Chris Singleton always messes around with Ed and it annoys the hell out of him. I think Singleton's intentionally trying to push Ed's buttons.

Frontman
08-15-2006, 03:58 PM

Nah, this isn't a perfect example of what we call "narrow minded." Far be it that *gasp* someone who isn't a blue collar worker be a fan of baseball.

Now folks, I'm all for Farmer and Hawk paying attention to baseball and leaving the PGA out of it, but:

A: The PGA is in Chicago this weekend for a major at Medinah. The four major tournaments are the equivalent to a World Series, Superbowl, Final Four. IT IS A BIG DEAL. So some time during the week, the PGA officals will be making the rounds to various places to promote the event. This is a HUGE deal for the game of golf, and all eyes who follow the PGA will be on Chicago this week. I just so happen to be a "blue collar" worker who is going to the Final Round of the tournament this upcoming Sunday for my birthday. So Hawk had them in the booth. It is absolutely no different than having a White Sox promotions person there shilling a 150 buck a plate dinner/fundraiser or their own golf outing. Or how about 20 bucks a ticket for their ring raffle? Granted, I'd prefer for them not to waste ANY time on stuff not related to the game, but the game is also a money maker, as is the broadcasts. We have to accept the fact that they might use air time to promote various events, not just related to the game being played that night.

B: Golf ISN'T just a "white collar" sport. Firemen, mailmen, cops, doctors, teachers, as well as college and high school kids play the game for fun. Some folks even play in small "pick up" tournaments from time to time. It's a sport that isn't just for the rich. So its expensive to play golf. Can be up to 175 bucks a round (especially in Hawaii.) You can also go golf all day for less than 40 bucks. Tell me, how much do you pay when you go to that "blue collar" sport called baseball? I believe its 18 bucks just to park, much less buy a ticket starting at 20 bucks a pop (where some birds and low-flying aircraft might have a better view of the action.) Family of 5 to have some food and a few sodas/beer? Can easily clear 100 bucks. God forbid those kids spot a toy or a souviner they might like. A family trip to a White Sox game can easily clear 300 bucks. Hell, my brother (who is also blue collar, a carpenter) dropped 150 inside the park alone this past weekend; for you guessed it, a family with 3 kids.

So please, tell me exactly how golf is "white collar" and baseball is "blue collar."

Or maybe accept the fact that *gasp* we are in the 21st century, and the White Sox isn't just for the millworkers/stockyard workers of the early 20th century. And given that more than just the "back of the 'yards" or "hardcore" crowd are now fans, and the Sox organization will promote events that appeal to others who might not have the same background/interests you do.

*Kicking his soapbox back under the desk.*

And Farmer from time to time asking Singelton if he golfed today and how did he do ISN'T such a big deal. It's the same as them talking about his lack of wearing socks or Hawk saying, "You know, I've really come to love that duck."

Front

Heffalump
08-15-2006, 04:11 PM
Nah, this isn't a perfect example of what we call "narrow minded." Far be it that *gasp* someone who isn't a blue collar worker be a fan of baseball.

Now folks, I'm all for Farmer and Hawk paying attention to baseball and leaving the PGA out of it, but:

A: The PGA is in Chicago this weekend for a major at Medinah. The four major tournaments are the equivalent to a World Series, Superbowl, Final Four. IT IS A BIG DEAL. So some time during the week, the PGA officals will be making the rounds to various places to promote the event. This is a HUGE deal for the game of golf, and all eyes who follow the PGA will be on Chicago this week. I just so happen to be a "blue collar" worker who is going to the Final Round of the tournament this upcoming Sunday for my birthday. So Hawk had them in the booth. It is absolutely no different than having a White Sox promotions person there shilling a 150 buck a plate dinner/fundraiser or their own golf outing. Or how about 20 bucks a ticket for their ring raffle? Granted, I'd prefer for them not to waste ANY time on stuff not related to the game, but the game is also a money maker, as is the broadcasts. We have to accept the fact that they might use air time to promote various events, not just related to the game being played that night.

B: Golf ISN'T just a "white collar" sport. Firemen, mailmen, cops, doctors, teachers, as well as college and high school kids play the game for fun. Some folks even play in small "pick up" tournaments from time to time. It's a sport that isn't just for the rich. So its expensive to play golf. Can be up to 175 bucks a round (especially in Hawaii.) You can also go golf all day for less than 40 bucks. Tell me, how much do you pay when you go to that "blue collar" sport called baseball? I believe its 18 bucks just to park, much less buy a ticket starting at 20 bucks a pop (where some birds and low-flying aircraft might have a better view of the action.) Family of 5 to have some food and a few sodas/beer? Can easily clear 100 bucks. God forbid those kids spot a toy or a souviner they might like. A family trip to a White Sox game can easily clear 300 bucks. Hell, my brother (who is also blue collar, a carpenter) dropped 150 inside the park alone this past weekend; for you guessed it, a family with 3 kids.

So please, tell me exactly how golf is "white collar" and baseball is "blue collar."

Or maybe accept the fact that *gasp* we are in the 21st century, and the White Sox isn't just for the millworkers/stockyard workers of the early 20th century. And given that more than just the "back of the 'yards" or "hardcore" crowd are now fans, and the Sox organization will promote events that appeal to others who might not have the same background/interests you do.

And Farmer from time to time asking Singelton if he golfed today and how did he do ISN'T such a big deal. It's the same as them talking about his lack of wearing socks or Hawk saying, "You know, I've really come to love that duck."

Front

Whoa, settle down Beavis !

I agree that the PGA president coming in to talk to Hawk about the upcoming event is not a big deal. However, I think what everybody is talking about here is how Ed and Hawk spend too much time talking about golf during "non-promotion" game time/events.

Although, I do agree that golf is still considered one of the more "stuffy" sports (even though I do enjoy playing it now and then).

Britt Burns
08-15-2006, 04:13 PM
It's the same as them talking about his lack of wearing socks or Hawk saying, "You know, I've really come to love that duck."

Front

Ha! I'd forgotten about the duck conversations...those were hilarious.

I still would argue that a reference here or there is completely fine, but those two, Farmio and Hawk, go waaaaaaay overboard.

JohnBasedowYoda
08-15-2006, 04:18 PM
Well put

LauraJ14
08-15-2006, 04:29 PM
And Mr. Farmer,
Can we leave the Notre Dame football and Charlie Weis conversation at home also? Thanks, it would be nice to know the score of the game at hand not what ND did at football practice today.

Tragg
08-15-2006, 04:55 PM
I can live with the ludicrously obvious statements ('If the next three batters reach and Konerko homers, that will be a grand slam') The one season I listened to him, 2000 (I had a computer and the broadcasts were free) he'd say something stupid like that at least every game. If we're up 2-0, he'd say "what you have to do is try to add to the lead, run by run; if you do, it decreases the chances that the other team can come back".
It drove me crazy.

Mohoney
08-15-2006, 05:33 PM
Xerxes would be all over this.

Frontman
08-15-2006, 05:51 PM
And Mr. Farmer,
Can we leave the Notre Dame football and Charlie Weis conversation at home also? Thanks, it would be nice to know the score of the game at hand not what ND did at football practice today.

Oh this I totally agree with. That is annoying!

Front

Frontman
08-15-2006, 05:54 PM
Whoa, settle down Beavis !

I agree that the PGA president coming in to talk to Hawk about the upcoming event is not a big deal. However, I think what everybody is talking about here is how Ed and Hawk spend too much time talking about golf during "non-promotion" game time/events.

Although, I do agree that golf is still considered one of the more "stuffy" sports (even though I do enjoy playing it now and then).

Never said it wasn't "stuffy." (Rules for attending Sunday's event. No cell phones, no cameras. I can see the cell phone rule, but no cameras?!?!?!) and I'm a lot calmer about it now, but man, why is it that we get so flamin' ready to "outclass" folks from events? Why is it that "upperclass/white collar" are supposed to enjoy golf and leave baseball to the "middle class/blue collar" fans?

Meh, not meant to start a flame war folks. Just wanted to point out that golf isn't just fat white guys who are rich anymore.

Front

Britt Burns
08-15-2006, 07:41 PM
Farmio is talking about golf right this very moment.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!! Khaaaaaaaaaannnnnn!!!!

http://www.doctorpundit.com/images/uploads/khan.jpg

miker
08-16-2006, 06:30 PM
I SO miss John Rooney... :whiner:

Johnny74
08-16-2006, 10:59 PM
So all of you would rather have a computer with no personality calling the game? At least they add a little something extra. And you are exaggerating about the golf talk. It's not that much. JEEZ!:rolleyes:

Nellie_Fox
08-17-2006, 12:07 AM
So all of you would rather have a computer with no personality calling the game? At least they add a little something extra. And you are exaggerating about the golf talk. It's not that much. JEEZ!:rolleyes:Discussing their golf games more than about once a month is too much.

Heffalump
08-17-2006, 11:06 AM
So all of you would rather have a computer with no personality calling the game? At least they add a little something extra. And you are exaggerating about the golf talk. It's not that much. JEEZ!:rolleyes:

Great idea! Perhap a computer/robot version of John Rooney could call the game !!

I will get started on that right away.....

Scottzilla
08-17-2006, 11:43 AM
oh no the Thom Brenaman / Steve Stone 5000

PatK
08-17-2006, 12:28 PM

Front

Points taken. But I'll respond to them.

Has a tournament been played in Chicago all season? Because the golf talk starts in spring training and doesn't stop until the season is over. And in case you hadn't noticed, the World Cup and Tour de France happened recently, and those are two of the biggest sporting events in the WORLD, yet I can't recall a single mention of them. The Gay Games were in town recently, did I hear daily updates on them? That was a pretty big event. The Bulls were in the playoffs, did we hear endless chatter on them? No. There's been some big NASCAR events, and I don't hear a lot of talk about them either, even with the NASCAR event last year at The Cell.

Yes a lot of people golf. But it still has the stuffiest image of any professional sport. A lot of people sail as well. A lot of people fish. People from all walks of life.

Hell, I love playing paintball, but you know what? I'm not going to talk to people about to people who don't do it and aren't into it. Why? Because for one thing, they're not going to understand it and know what I'm talking about. For another, I'd be boring the hell out of them or annoying them. Why would they want to hear me describe something that they know nothing about or don't care about? Especially if while doing so I'm supposed to be describing something else.

I don't care for golf. Sure, I'll play once or twice a year, that's about it. If I want to hear about golf, I'll watch it on TV, or look it up online. I don't tune into the Sox game to find out how fantastic various golf courses are- I want to listen to the baseball. Instead of hearing the score, I have to wait until Ed gets done describing a course to Singleton who more often than not, has nothing to add other than saying he hasn't played there yet.

There's plenty of other things for Ed to talk about if he needs filler. Everyone eats, talk about a restaurant. People enjoy movies, talk about the latest movies.

It's funny, people honk on Singleton for bringing up how he hit for the cycle with the Sox, but at least that's baseball.

I also don't want to start a blue collar/white collar either. And yes, I realize that golf isn't a rich fat man's sport. I just don't care to hear about it as much as I do during Sox broadcasts.

Frontman
08-17-2006, 05:43 PM
Points taken. But I'll respond to them.

Has a tournament been played in Chicago all season? Because the golf talk starts in spring training and doesn't stop until the season is over. And in case you hadn't noticed, the World Cup and Tour de France happened recently, and those are two of the biggest sporting events in the WORLD, yet I can't recall a single mention of them. The Gay Games were in town recently, did I hear daily updates on them? That was a pretty big event. The Bulls were in the playoffs, did we hear endless chatter on them? No. There's been some big NASCAR events, and I don't hear a lot of talk about them either, even with the NASCAR event last year at The Cell.

I also don't want to start a blue collar/white collar either. And yes, I realize that golf isn't a rich fat man's sport. I just don't care to hear about it as much as I do during Sox broadcasts.

Ok, I now understand where you were coming from. Just rubbed me wrong that golf was dismissed as a white collar game. However, I do have to point out possible reasons why Farmer might talk golf over any of the other sporting events you mentioned.

Ok, each sport in turn.

World Cup=even though Soccer has more followers across the globe, it has nowhere near the money that MLB, NFL, NBA, NASCAR or the PGA in the sport itself or spent by the fan. Soccer's appeal? You don't need any equipment beyond a ball and something to designate as goals. (Also, the European's "we don't respect you Americans," mantra is what will continue to turn off the average American sportsfan. If I wanted to hear how bad America is, I'd actually watch something other than sports.) But its a pretty poor (monetary wise) sport. We just hosted the "All-star" game here in Chicago, but MLS; knowing it has very little to offer compared to baseball or even pre-season football, had to have an "All-American" team take on the European champion team, and still the ratings were abysmal. Also, I think we all would of been pretty pissed about the World Series having to be decided by a home run derby if it would of ended in a tie. ;)

Tour de France=besides Lance Armstrong's destruction of the Tour for 7 years, and another American who now has been stripped of his championship (or is on the verge of it) the Tour itself had even less of a following than soccer has 10 years ago. Americans didn't care until Armstrong came along.

The Gay Games= *note-I'm not going to bash gays or try to say anything offensive here. I don't want to join Ozzie in any sensitivity training sessions* This wasn't as big a deal as the promoters hoped. The crowds were nowhere near the level they expected. And I'm sure if this sport was covered or commented on, the homo-phobic nature of the average American male who follows baseball/Football/basketball/hockey would of reared its ugly head. I would not be surprised if Farmer, as well as just about every other sports commentator not with "B&B" for their shows initials made a deliberate choice *not* to comment on the event, as I feel it would of been a "Damned if you do/damned if you don't." situation had they tried to cover it seriously. Comment on it, you will get the usual obnoxious comments. Think about how much some folks don't like Farmer talking about golf, then think about the "hardcore/meat 'n potatoes/men should like women only" morons who would be complaining then. (Please don't think I'm comparing the anti-golf movement to gay bashers. THAT certainly isn't my intent. But you do know some folks wouldn't be happy with the Sox commentators talking about the Gay Games.)

Bulls-playoffs-did anyone honestly give them a chance in heck to get beyond the first round? Seriously? Also, the fact that the Bulls are owned by the same company as the Sox, they might downplay comments on them, as not to appear biased.

NASCAR-this one I don't get. Not the appeal of the sport, even though it doesn't interest me, but why Farmer wouldn't mention it at all, considering he did mention the Blue Angles about 6 or so times over the past two games.

I think at the end of the day, Farmer talks golf with Singelton as an attempt to find a common ground with him. Singelton is from another generation from Farmer, unlike Rooney.

Although, I do believe he did mention golf 4 times during todays game, the Blue Angels 4 times, and Singleton's post-birthday commentary twice.

But hey, we won!

:)

Front

STRETCH!!!
08-17-2006, 08:15 PM

Absolutley brutal.

Got to say that I agree, Hawk is worse than Farmer regarding mentioning golf. I recall one game a decade or so ago when he teamed with Wimpy, he was on celebrity tour and must have been playing somewhat well, and he didn't shut up all game about it.

soxwon
08-17-2006, 08:16 PM
Farmer was talking he took Tiger Woods and gave Joey Cora the rest of the field.
The bet was for dinner and farmer added, if he lost, he wouldnt have to DINE with cora, just get him to dinner, and vice versa.
Farmer is rude alot to Singelton i noticed.
Is he like this in the REAL?

Frontman
08-17-2006, 09:18 PM
Farmer was talking he took Tiger Woods and gave Joey Cora the rest of the field.
The bet was for dinner and farmer added, if he lost, he wouldnt have to DINE with cora, just get him to dinner, and vice versa.
Farmer is rude alot to Singelton i noticed.
Is he like this in the REAL?

I've only met him once, but I would say no. He came into the post office that I work at and brought his World Series ring in for us to see. He actually handed it to one of our clerks to show quote "To the Sox fans in the back who might not be able to come up and see it." I did make a point to go up and thank him in person, and we talked baseball for about 10 minutes or so.

He was quite polite and obviously enjoyed brightening up a few Sox fans day.

Front

hawkjt
08-17-2006, 11:28 PM
while we are ranting on ed and his broadcasts; I normally watch the game but on Tues I was out and listened to that dreadful game on the radio.

I dislike the in-booth interviews with visitors like pat brickhouse ,fireman and policeman ect. They are nice people but the game quickly becomes a sidebar and while listening it is tough to really figure out what is going on.

They are there to communicate about the game on the field. Hope they keep that in mind.

StockdaleForVeep
08-18-2006, 05:49 AM
Heh, till my fathers' dying day, he cursed the name of ed farmer and said he was the biggest disgrace to st rita(apparently they were same class or close to it)

TaquitoElGoocho
08-18-2006, 07:12 AM
while we are ranting on ed and his broadcasts; I normally watch the game but on Tues I was out and listened to that dreadful game on the radio.

I dislike the in-booth interviews with visitors like pat brickhouse ,fireman and policeman ect. They are nice people but the game quickly becomes a sidebar and while listening it is tough to really figure out what is going on.

They are there to communicate about the game on the field. Hope they keep that in mind.
Could not agree with you more. I don't have cable, so I listen to most of the games. The crowd cheers, or lack thereof, were all that guided me.

I understand Jack Brickhouse used to broadcast for the Sox (although not in my lifetime); however, I consider him the face of the Cubs. So it was unpleasant for me to listen to talk about Jack (lower case j ?) while the Sox were losing the game.

Frontman
08-18-2006, 07:42 AM
Heh, till my fathers' dying day, he cursed the name of ed farmer and said he was the biggest disgrace to st rita(apparently they were same class or close to it)

Could of been personal, could be a case that Ed at the time was a jerk, or it could be a situation that your Dad and Farmer just never got along. I can see where folks wouldn't get along with him, but as I said, he was very nice to all of us. One of my coworkers asked him how he liked working with Chris Singelton, and while he didn't give him a ringing endorsement, he didn't say anything mean or nasty either. People do change over time, and considering Ed almost lost his life to polycystic cancer disease, he might be nicer now.

Front

Frontman
08-18-2006, 07:44 AM

Sadly, I don't think this is just a Sox broadcast problem. Monday Night Football with Madden/Michaels calling the action is incredibly brutal and non-game orientated.

Front

SOecks
08-18-2006, 01:08 PM
Why does Farmer always tell us that pretty much every player "Likes the first pitch" and/or "____can hit a homer" as they're coming to the plate. Most times he says they like the first pitch and they take it for a ball it seems. Stupid and overused statement.

GoSox2K3
08-18-2006, 03:55 PM
Ed,

....Let me sum up the problem in one word: Golf. I can live with the ludicrously obvious statements ('If the next three batters reach and Konerko homers, that will be a grand slam') and the interminable lags between a play and the call (Dye swings.......................through the hole..............two run single) and even the flat monotone calls for seemingly exciting plays ('AJ homers off Dempster, Sox up by two in the ninth') I can live with those things, but I can not live with hearing every single game-and I am not exaggerating here-listening to you talk about golf in some form or fashion. You have walked me hole by hole, stroke by stroke through at least eighteen courses this season. I am happy that you have a hobby you enjoy so much, I truly am. Oddly enough though, many fans-and I don't feel like it is going out on a limb to speak for others on this board and Sox fans in general-tune in to a baseball game to hear about, you know, baseball. Not golf. ...

Your description is right on the mark. He really does a terrible job at calling plays.:(: