PDA

View Full Version : Homestead Greys: whose home?

Baby Fisk
08-14-2006, 05:17 PM
OK, two different teams wore Homestead Greys throwback uniforms this past weekend: Washington and Pittsburgh. Were the Greys a travelling team, or do several cities lay claim to that team?

Homestead Greys: what is the deal here? :?:

eriqjaffe
08-14-2006, 05:20 PM
Their home city was Pittsburgh, but apparently they played a lot of "home" games at Griffith Stadium.

http://www.negroleaguebaseball.com/teams/Homestead_Grays.html

During the late 1930s through the 1940s the Grays played their home games at Pittsburgh's Forbes Field, home of the Pittsburgh Pirates. However, during this same period the club adopted the Washington, D.C. area as its "home away from home" and scheduled many of its "home" games at Washington's Griffith Stadium, the home park of the Washington Senators.

Baby Fisk
08-14-2006, 05:22 PM
Their home city was Pittsburgh, but apparently they played a lot of "home" games at Griffith Stadium.

http://www.negroleaguebaseball.com/teams/Homestead_Grays.html

Thanks! :cheers:

Jurr
08-15-2006, 11:24 AM
The Allegheny (Pittsburgh) sports museum has a good section on the Grays. I can't believe the talent that came out that team!!! It's amazing.

SOXintheBURGH
08-15-2006, 12:12 PM
Homestead, sadly, has gone to hell. I live right next to it. It's like the Alsip of Pittsburgh.

Baby Fisk
08-15-2006, 12:14 PM
Homestead, sadly, has gone to hell. I live right next to it. It's like the Alsip of Pittsburgh.
So "Homestead" is/was an actual municipal name? Is it now part of Pittsburgh proper, or still a town of its own?

SOXintheBURGH
08-15-2006, 01:35 PM
So "Homestead" is/was an actual municipal name? Is it now part of Pittsburgh proper, or still a town of its own?

It's about 5 miles SE of Burgh proper, in the "Mon Valley." There was a labor riot in the year of Our Lord 1892 that was apparently a lot of fun. If I stand on my roof and spit over my right shoulder, I can hit Homestead, if I spit the other way I can hit PNC Park.

eriqjaffe
08-15-2006, 01:52 PM
It's about 5 miles SE of Burgh proper, in the "Mon Valley." There was a labor riot in the year of Our Lord 1892 that was apparently a lot of fun. If I stand on my roof and spit over my right shoulder, I can hit Homestead, if I spit the other way I can hit PNC Park.Legend has it that Josh Gibson could spit all the way from Homestead to where PNC Park is now.

It's kind of funny, in retrospect, how the Grays used the name of the suburb, but played in the city - The Homestead Grays of Pittsburgh?

DSpivack
08-15-2006, 03:57 PM
Legend has it that Josh Gibson could spit all the way from Homestead to where PNC Park is now.

It's kind of funny, in retrospect, how the Grays used the name of the suburb, but played in the city - The Homestead Grays of Pittsburgh?

Yeah, good thing no team does (something like that, actually the opposite) that today!