PDA

View Full Version : the legendary Dick Allen jersey is available again

Baby Fisk
08-14-2006, 05:03 PM
Over the years, Dick Allen's legendary baby blue 1972 jersey has mostly been available second hand on eBay (it may be available at Grandstand, but don't quote me on that).

MLB.com just put a new bunch of the jerseys up for sale. For some, this will be a true test of willpower (and credit).

linky (http://shop.mlb.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2430093&cp=1452347)

http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/4410/dickallenjerseykt2.jpg

batmanZoSo
08-14-2006, 05:06 PM
:drool:

300 bucks though? That's a little steep for a shirt that's only to be worn at events involving cups of beer, stair climbing and lots of yellow mustard.

Scottiehaswheels
08-14-2006, 05:10 PM
Man... I just looked.. They have a bunch of new stuff... That Gaelic shirt I might have to add to my collection.. Not meaning to hijack(ok yes I do) but has anyone seen the White Sox hockey jersey anywhere? I saw a guy wearing one during one of the Yankee games... It was a gray long sleeve jersey with the white stripes near the wrists with a big black White Sox logo... I gotta get one... Anyone?

WS in 05
08-14-2006, 05:19 PM
why no throwbacks yesterday?

I want Mags back
08-14-2006, 05:21 PM
$300 ouch

Chicken Dinner
08-14-2006, 05:32 PM
That's a lot of funbiskets for 1 shirt.

dirty_k
08-14-2006, 05:37 PM
And that was only like $25 at the ballpark maybe 12 years ago. Not as nice as the road one shown here but no shirt is worth over $100 to me.

TheDarkGundam
08-14-2006, 05:39 PM
Man... I just looked.. They have a bunch of new stuff... That Gaelic shirt I might have to add to my collection.. Not meaning to hijack(ok yes I do) but has anyone seen the White Sox hockey jersey anywhere? I saw a guy wearing one during one of the Yankee games... It was a gray long sleeve jersey with the white stripes near the wrists with a big black White Sox logo... I gotta get one... Anyone?
I know I saw it online...it was either Grandstand's site or TripleThreatSports.

credefan24
08-14-2006, 05:39 PM
I know I saw it online...it was either Grandstand's site or TripleThreatSports.

Does it come in brown?

Tekijawa
08-14-2006, 05:42 PM

I too have been looking for that Hockey Jersey for awhile... I saw a real nice one on the L this past weekend.

monkeypants
08-14-2006, 06:46 PM
Those road unis are gorgeously ugly. I absolutely hate the home uniforms from that era because our Sox should never be primarily red but there's just something about the away unis that I like. It's like a bizarro Sox jersey from a different dimension.
Then again, looking at my mom and dad's old photos, the early '70s really were a different dimension.

eastchicagosoxfan
08-14-2006, 06:50 PM
Over the years, Dick Allen's legendary baby blue 1972 jersey has mostly been available second hand on eBay (it may be available at Grandstand, but don't quote me on that).

MLB.com just put a new bunch of the jerseys up for sale. For some, this will be a true test of willpower (and credit).

I see that jersey on the Mitchell and Ness site regularly. I'd love to see the red and white pinstripes too. If it's available at the park, the right combination of booze and peer pressure might get it done. But it's only a shirt!! I have this debate three or four times a year. So far, no jersey. For $150, I would be wearing it now.

oscars gamble
08-14-2006, 06:53 PM
The wierdest thing to me about that jersey is that it has a zipper. Having to zip up your jersey is very 70's.

Timmy D's
08-14-2006, 08:02 PM
Bought this DA about 2 years ago from M&N for half the price $149. I know it's just the batting practice jersey, but I just hated that baby blue one.

http://www.mitchellandness.com/detail.aspx?ID=1774

It's a nice cool thin pouros shirt I wear on hot days at the park.

Vernam
08-14-2006, 11:00 PM
The wierdest thing to me about that jersey is that it has a zipper. Having to zip up your jersey is very 70's.The zipper was pretty common back then. For $300, the jersey should be completely accurate, but the numbers on back are way smaller than the oversize ones the Sox wore back then.

Vernam

C-Dawg
08-14-2006, 11:08 PM
For $300, the jersey should be completely accurate, but the numbers on back are way smaller than the oversize ones the Sox wore back then.

I was just thinking that while looking at the picture. I guess after several years of having gigantic names on the jerseys, they wanted to use gigantic numbers for awhile.

Other than that, its pretty sweet. Still, its $300; I paid a lot less than that for my 83 and its currently in the "penalty box" with me since the Sox are 0-4 when I've worn it this season. I may just leave it at home until 07.

Lip Man 1
08-14-2006, 11:09 PM
What's interesting is that I don't ever recall seeing the White Sox wear batting practice jerseys until the early 80's.

They used to open Comiskey Park hours ahead of time so you could watch B.P. and for the number of times I was there (including about 15 in 1972) I never saw a batting practice jersey.

Hmmm.....

Lip

Brian26
08-15-2006, 12:05 AM
What's interesting is that I don't ever recall seeing the White Sox wear batting practice jerseys until the early 80's.

They used to open Comiskey Park hours ahead of time so you could watch B.P. and for the number of times I was there (including about 15 in 1972) I never saw a batting practice jersey.

Hmmm.....

Lip

No doubt, that's 70's batting practice jersey never existed. It's something Mitchell & Ness just made up.

russ99
08-15-2006, 12:43 AM
The zipper was pretty common back then. For $300, the jersey should be completely accurate, but the numbers on back are way smaller than the oversize ones the Sox wore back then.

Vernam

Wow. My favorite Sox jersey ever. $300? Seriously tempting.

How many units of blood would I need to sell?

Nellie_Fox
08-15-2006, 01:43 AM
Then again, looking at my mom and dad's old photos, the early '70s really were a different dimension.Every time I look at my wedding photos, I'm frightened all over again. The velvet-lapelled Edwardian tux with the velvet butterfly bow tie. Yow! What the hell were we thinking? :o:

SOXintheBURGH
08-15-2006, 02:17 AM
I would kill a man just to sniff that jersey.

SOXintheBURGH
08-15-2006, 02:17 AM
I would kill a man just to sniff that jersey.

Baby Fisk
08-15-2006, 09:16 AM
Those road unis are gorgeously ugly. I absolutely hate the home uniforms from that era because our Sox should never be primarily red but there's just something about the away unis that I like. It's like a bizarro Sox jersey from a different dimension.
Then again, looking at my mom and dad's old photos, the early '70s really were a different dimension.
The absolute hideousness of the baby blue jersey makes it very hot. But yeah, the only place one could conceiveably wear it and not be received like a freak of nature would be USCF (or Dick Allen's house, but he still won't reply to my letters).

The red pinstripes of that time looked too much like the Phillies. We can't trash the Rockies for stealing our current uniforms while at the same time regaling the red pinstripes that we pretty much stole from Philly.

Scottiehaswheels
08-15-2006, 09:49 AM
I know I saw it online...it was either Grandstand's site or TripleThreatSports.Gracias!

Vernam
08-15-2006, 11:51 AM
The absolute hideousness of the baby blue jersey makes it very hot. But yeah, the only place one could conceiveably wear it and not be received like a freak of nature would be USCF (or Dick Allen's house, but he still won't reply to my letters).At least we still wore belts back then, though we succumbed to the dreaded Sansabelt look in the early 80s. :redneck

A friend on my HS baseball team in the mid-70s worked at a local Sunoco gas station where Allen had his car serviced (at 75th and Rt 83, if you must know). There was a dispute over the bill or something, and Allen just left the car and never picked it up. My buddy ended up with a gym bag full of Allen's stuff, including batting gloves and red baseball shoes. Our school colors were gold and black, so he could only wear the cleats in practice.

Every time I see a photo of Allen back then with brown leather gloves, I think of my teammate wearing them in our crummy games. It was like the holy grail to us then!

Vernam

monkeypants
08-15-2006, 12:22 PM
A friend on my HS baseball team in the mid-70s worked at a local Sunoco gas station where Allen had his car serviced (at 75th and Rt 83, if you must know). There was a dispute over the bill or something, and Allen just left the car and never picked it up. My buddy ended up with a gym bag full of Allen's stuff, including batting gloves and red baseball shoes. Our school colors were gold and black, so he could only wear the cleats in practice.

A fellow Hornet, huh? Did you play on the state champ team or was that after you left?

Uncle_Patrick
08-15-2006, 12:27 PM

I saw it at Grandstand on Saturday. I like the Red Pinstripe jersey, but that baby blue is a little too hideous, especially for $300.

pasquasroachclip
08-15-2006, 12:47 PM
The zipper was pretty common back then. For $300, the jersey should be completely accurate, but the numbers on back are way smaller than the oversize ones the Sox wore back then.

Vernam

Not to be a total geek, but the originals also had the same piping around the neck that the sleeves had.

BTW, for all you throwback collectors, distantreplays.com is having a 30% off sale on everything, but the sale ends tonight.

FielderJones
08-15-2006, 01:40 PM
BTW, for all you throwback collectors, distantreplays.com is having a 30% off sale on everything, but the sale ends tonight.

Thanks for the head-up. I'm not what you'd call a collector but I've had my eye on 1917 threads for a while. Significant savings on that site, but I expect the missus will still give me the evil-eye when she sees my purchase. :tongue:

batmanZoSo
08-15-2006, 01:51 PM
Not to be a total geek, but the originals also had the same piping around the neck that the sleeves had.

If they put piping around the neck that would kill the whole profit margin. :o:

Scottiehaswheels
08-15-2006, 02:00 PM

BTW, for all you throwback collectors, distantreplays.com is having a 30% off sale on everything, but the sale ends tonight.:(: I so wish it was my B-Day soon... quite a few things there for the Sox I wouldn't mind having...

Scottzilla
08-15-2006, 02:24 PM
ewww that thing is u g l y

tacosalbarojas
08-15-2006, 02:25 PM

Hmmm.....

LipOne of my most prized jerseys is one that I never wear but it's an early 80s Aurelio Rodriguez bp'er.

MeteorsSox4367
08-15-2006, 02:28 PM
Anybody know if the Sox logo from the Allen era is available on a t-shirt? Also been looking for the gray Aparicio t-shirt with #11 on the back. Can't find it on the Internet.

stacksedwards
08-15-2006, 02:38 PM
For $300 it should come with his shades, a pair of side burns, a helmet, three baseballs to juggle with, and a pack of smokes.

Awsome jersey but for 300 fazzols, no thanks.

pasquasroachclip
08-15-2006, 03:10 PM
:(: I so wish it was my B-Day soon... quite a few things there for the Sox I wouldn't mind having...

Tomorrow is my sons first birthday...I wonder if the Mrs. would believe that I bought a 68 road Aparicio size 52 for him? :wink:

dickallen15
08-15-2006, 03:10 PM
Anybody know if the Sox logo from the Allen era is available on a t-shirt? Also been looking for the gray Aparicio t-shirt with #11 on the back. Can't find it on the Internet.

I have one, and bought it on ebay from baseballsavvy.com. Go to their website and contact them at baseballsavvy@aol.com. They have a ton of shirts available not on ebay or their website. They will email you a list. I think the only White Sox t-shirts they had were the 1972 Dick Allen, and a 1968 Louis Aparicio.

Baby Fisk
08-15-2006, 03:12 PM
Tomorrow is my sons first birthday...I wonder if the Mrs. would believe that I bought a 68 road Aparicio size 52 for him? :wink:
"Come on, honey, it's a little big but he'll grow into it! Good parents have to think ahead!" :D:

JohnBasedowYoda
08-15-2006, 03:46 PM
:drool:

300 bucks though? That's a little steep for a shirt that's only to be worn at events involving cups of beer, stair climbing and lots of yellow mustard.

A little yellow might fit in.

Timmy D's
08-15-2006, 03:50 PM

WOW!!! good heads up on that sale!! I just realized I coulda got my Sox jacket I bought in October for $150 less though.:whiner: :whiner: Still nice deals they have goin on there. The DA in question here is reduced to a mere bag O' clams price of$210(but only in limited sizes).:D: I have to stop looking at these sites, as my weakness is unis, and jackets.

PalehosePlanet
08-15-2006, 04:09 PM

The original jersey did not have piping; this jersey is accurate in that regard. I'm not certain about the number sizes accuracy though.

Thanks for the sale heads up!
EDIT: It did have piping around the neck but did not run down the middle of the jersey.

Mr. Skin
08-15-2006, 06:16 PM
I just ordered it. Should have in 1-2 business days.:smile:

Baby Fisk
08-16-2006, 09:09 AM
I just ordered it. Should have in 1-2 business days.:smile:
Somebody broke the ice! Will this open the floodgates? Metaphors abound!

I'm seriously tempted to get one of these, but damn it would be hard to coordinate this thing with any other article of clothing. Other than USCF, where else would you folks wear the baby blue?

hi im skot
08-16-2006, 09:15 AM
Somebody broke the ice! Will this open the floodgates? Metaphors abound!

I'm seriously tempted to get one of these, but damn it would be hard to coordinate this thing with any other article of clothing. Other than USCF, where else would you folks wear the baby blue?

Which brings up another good question: do you guys and gals wear your jerseys anywhere else besides games? Work? School? Family photos?

monkeypants
08-16-2006, 01:05 PM

Do you pimp?

Baby Fisk
09-20-2006, 05:32 PM
One month later, I just cracked. Baby Blue is en route. :redface:

I blame the White Sox for tanking this season and forcing fans to seek solace in the form of uproariously overpriced Sox memorabilia.

Did anyone else get one?

eastchicagosoxfan
09-20-2006, 07:56 PM
One month later, I just cracked. Baby Blue is en route. :redface:

I blame the White Sox for tanking this season and forcing fans to seek solace in the form of uproariously overpriced Sox memorabilia.

Did anyone else get one?

I haven't snapped yet. But now that someone I'm almost aqcainted with in cyberspace has one.......

robertks61
09-20-2006, 08:47 PM
I may make it my Christmas present to myself...........

C-Dawg
09-21-2006, 01:51 PM
Which brings up another good question: do you guys and gals wear your jerseys anywhere else besides games? Work? School? Family photos?

I cannot but help feeling like a clown if I wear my 1983 jersey anywhere alse BUT the ballpark.

vegyrex
09-21-2006, 02:17 PM

I wear mine at many places.