PDA

View Full Version : MLB - Fantasy league lawsuit

Ol' No. 2
08-14-2006, 02:35 PM
Some of you may remember the lawsuit MLB filed against a fantasy baseball league over use of players' names and statistics. A summary judgement was handed down in federal court last week in favor of the fantasy league. MLB is, of course, appealing.

Linky (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060809fantasy,1,6497559.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)

FedEx227
08-14-2006, 02:41 PM
Ugh... I saw this last week and was beyond pissed.

Does MLB realize fantasy baseball actually HELPS their business?

gbergman
08-14-2006, 03:00 PM

:tool
"Fantsasy baseball helps the game you say? Only my judgements help the game, and this time it counts."

BigPapaPump
08-14-2006, 04:08 PM
Ugh... I saw this last week and was beyond pissed.

But it could still help their business even more if they were the only ones dealing it. Supply and Demand, and they'd have all the supplies.

MUsoxfan
08-14-2006, 04:33 PM
But it could still help their business even more if they were the only ones dealing it. Supply and Demand, and they'd have all the supplies.

I disagree. Not as many people would do it if MLB monopolized it and charged for everything. In fact I'd forsee quite a backlash of casual fans giving a big "**** you" to MLB if they were allowed to monopolize it

chaerulez
08-14-2006, 07:51 PM
I disagree. Not as many people would do it if MLB monopolized it and charged for everything. In fact I'd forsee quite a backlash of casual fans giving a big "**** you" to MLB if they were allowed to monopolize it

Well, MLB doesn't want to monopolize it, they just want to cash in from yahoo, espn, and all the other companies that offer fantasy baseball.

FedEx227
08-14-2006, 10:01 PM
But I know a good portion of people are not willing to pay for fantasy baseball, casual players are not going to shell out money to make a team it just won't happen.

I guess they fail to see that the free enterprise of it, gets people into it casual, but turns them into pretty big fans once they enjoy it. Thus they go to more games, being knowing new players, cheering for others, jerseys, etc...

but oh I'm sorry, All Star Game homefield advantage and gigantic coverups are the only means of adding fans.

MUsoxfan
08-14-2006, 10:22 PM
Well, MLB doesn't want to monopolize it, they just want to cash in from yahoo, espn, and all the other companies that offer fantasy baseball.

I guess they'll start charging newspapers a bunch of money for the use of boxscores

SouthSide_HitMen
08-15-2006, 02:55 PM
MLB allowed 5 companies this season to offer fantasy games while denying everyone else the opportunity.

MLB is run by an idiot. I am glad they lost this decision.

Flight #24
08-15-2006, 03:02 PM
But I know a good portion of people are not willing to pay for fantasy baseball, casual players are not going to shell out money to make a team it just won't happen.

I guess they fail to see that the free enterprise of it, gets people into it casual, but turns them into pretty big fans once they enjoy it. Thus they go to more games, being knowing new players, cheering for others, jerseys, etc...

but oh I'm sorry, All Star Game homefield advantage and gigantic coverups are the only means of adding fans.

You're confusing free to the public with non-profit-generating. Yahoo, etc make a bunch of $$$ off of their free fantasy sports, and that stream is what MLB is trying to tap into. Were MLB to win this in the end, it almost certainly would not mean less free fantasy baseball from the major providers, just that they'd share the ad revenue, etc with MLB. I don't really have a problem with it because it's not like they're trying to make fans pay for it and I have no allegiance to Yahoo's profits.

But it would probably be a killer to the smaller providers.

FedEx227
08-15-2006, 05:22 PM
You're confusing free to the public with non-profit-generating. Yahoo, etc make a bunch of $$$ off of their free fantasy sports, and that stream is what MLB is trying to tap into. Were MLB to win this in the end, it almost certainly would not mean less free fantasy baseball from the major providers, just that they'd share the ad revenue, etc with MLB. I don't really have a problem with it because it's not like they're trying to make fans pay for it and I have no allegiance to Yahoo's profits.

But it would probably be a killer to the smaller providers.

I'm all but positive, if MLB began taking cuts of what Yahoo makes, Yahoo would begin charging. No doubt in my mind, this is how American economies have become.

skottyj242
08-16-2006, 11:23 AM
There is so much money to be made off of fantasy sports, it's the only reason I watch the NFL.

mcfish
08-16-2006, 12:51 PM
Some of you may remember the lawsuit MLB filed against a fantasy baseball league over use of players' names and statistics. A summary judgement was handed down in federal court last week in favor of the fantasy league. MLB is, of course, appealing.

Linky (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-060809fantasy,1,6497559.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)After reading the article, the MLB just looks worse. The fantasy site isn't refusing to pay licensing fees to the MLB, the MLB is refusing to renew their license after they were already in business 10 years. So apparently the MLB thought the fantasy site would just shut their doors and close up shop? Now MLB is pissed because they have continued operations without a license, which MLB has made it impossible for them to get. Absolutely rediculous. Exclusive licenses in sports (video games, fantasy, whatever - possibly not even just sports) should somehow be ruled illegal, because this is rediculous.

mcfish
08-16-2006, 12:53 PM

But it would probably be a killer to the smaller providers.The problem with this is - the site was paying MLB for 10 years and MLB just refused to renew the license. Yahoo and others already pay MLB - they were just trying to squeeze out smaller competition by allowing fewer licenses.