PDA

View Full Version : Back from Boston

MarqSox
07-30-2001, 08:20 AM
I saw the White Sox winner on Saturday, and I have a few stories from my first trip to Fenway, what I now consider the best park in the league out of the 10 current parks I've seen.

When we sang Na Na Hey Hey after the SWhite ox won, my buddy got hit in the neck with a bratwurst.

The guy in front of me had a T-shirt jersey with "El Guapo" on the back. As if that weren't dumb enough, for some inconceivable reason, there was a tilda over the L.

When the White Sox tied the game in the fifth, the crowd was in the midst of doing the wave. How disappointing to get the wave at a crucial point in the game ... at Fenway Park.

After I said, "Geez, I would expect the wave out of Wrigley morons, but not in Boston," a Cubs fan two rows down turned around and said, "They do the wave at Comiskey, not Wrigley. At Wrigley they just win baseball games." Before I could eve respond, some Red Sox fans in the nearby area began chuckling at the absurdity of that statement.

Another crucial point when the Red Sox were rallying in the eighth, my section began chanting "Yankees suck." Would've have made sense ... if they were playing the Yankees.

They didn't even SING the Seventh Inning Stretch!! They played some music vaguely resembling Take Me Out on the organ, but nobody sang. I didn't realize what was happening until the song was 2/3 over!

Quote of the day from this obnoxious Bostonian who saw that his skanky wife only brought back a beer for herself, not him:
"You'z the waust beez gettaz I eva saw."
It took me about 30 seconds to figure out what he said too. :)

Jerry_Manuel
07-30-2001, 08:24 AM
Quote of the day from this obnoxious Bostonian who saw that his skanky wife only brought back a beer for herself, not him:
"You'z the waust beez gettaz I eva saw."

:sopranos
Doesn't that piss you off when people talk stupid?

cheeses_h_rice
07-30-2001, 09:52 AM
Good stuff, MarqSox. It's always entertaining to hear about other teams' idiotic fans.

I've got nothing against Red Sox fans, per se, but my whole family roots for the Braves (we spent a few years in the South), and my brother told me that at a Yanks/Braves WS game a few years ago, a couple of really obnoxious Red Sox fans were sitting around them. They weren't really rooting for the Braves so much as against the Yanks. Anyway, whenever Derek Jeter would come to the plate or make a play, they'd yell "Nomahhhh's bettahhhh!" Very reminiscent of Flubs fans and their Sam-ME obsession. The "Yankees suck" chant you describe is just plain bizarre.

ma-gaga
07-30-2001, 10:06 AM
Fans in general are great. My favorite team to hate are the Braves. My ire has greatly reduced since Ted Turner sold the team, but if you ask me for my least favorite teams, (all time) the braves-indians are my #1-2 punch. Once the Braves get rid of that 'tomahawk chop' chant, i can maybe respect them again, but it's weird how that chant turns my stomach.

hmm.

Jerry_Manuel
07-30-2001, 10:13 AM
My ire has greatly reduced since Ted Turner sold the team

I might be wrong, but I don't think he actually sold the team. As we know America Online mergered with Time Warner and when that happened AOL cleared out most of Turner's friends and business partners. And in turn Turner lost all of his power at the new AOL/TW. AOL is also clamping down on money when it comes to the Braves. They have them on a budget as opposed to when Turner had the power and gave them as much money as they wanted.

ma-gaga
07-30-2001, 10:18 AM
hmm. you're probably right. Regardless, he's no longer the figurehead who runs the team, and i appreciate teams that can put together a winner without spending the most money.