PDA

View Full Version : Roster expansion?

BigPapaPump
08-14-2006, 08:51 AM
When does the roster get expanded, how many does it expand by, and who do you think is coming up from the minors?:?:

russ99
08-14-2006, 08:59 AM
When does the roster get expanded, how many does it expand by, and who do you think is coming up from the minors?:?:

September 1st - All players on the 40-man roster are eligable for call-up, but usually the Sox add no more than 4-6 players, since why bring them up if they won't play.

sox1970
08-14-2006, 09:24 AM
I'd say these guys have the best chance, but Charlotte will also be in their own playoffs, so I'm not sure if everyone is coming up until they're done with their own season.

RP Sean Tracey
RP Agustin Montero
LP Boone Logan
OF Jerry Owens (to pinch run)
OF Ryan Sweeney
3B Josh Fields
C Chris Stewart

SoxWillWin
08-14-2006, 11:41 AM
since why bring them up if they won't play.
That would also make for a crowded dugout....

DaleJRFan
08-14-2006, 11:51 AM
I'd say these guys have the best chance, but Charlotte will also be in their own playoffs, so I'm not sure if everyone is coming up until they're done with their own season.

RP Sean Tracey
RP Agustin Montero
LP Boone Logan
OF Ryan Sweeney
3B Josh Fields
C Chris Stewart

Dustin Hermanson will also be returning from the DL on Sept 1st, as indicated in TornLabrum's recap from the WCSF luncheon.

Chicken Dinner
08-14-2006, 12:00 PM
September 1st - All players on the 40-man roster are eligable for call-up, but usually the Sox add no more than 4-6 players, since why bring them up if they won't play.

You also have to pay them a prorated league minimum salary so why spend the money if they're not going to help you.

DaleJRFan
08-14-2006, 12:03 PM
You also have to pay them a prorated league minimum salary so why spend the money if they're not going to help you.

Adds to service time as well.

Ol' No. 2
08-14-2006, 12:14 PM
Adds to service time as well.But you're only adding a few weeks to the service time. That's rarely much of a consideration. The bigger consideration is for guys who are not on the 40-man roster. You have to add them, which means you use up an option year the following year if they don't make the club. Sweeney is in that category, so it's possible he won't get a September callup.

gobears1987
08-14-2006, 12:27 PM
I hope they call up Fields. I've been hearing so much about him since 04 and have yet seen him. Besides, Crede has played almost every game thus far. It can't hurt if they give him a chance to rest that back.

DaleJRFan
08-14-2006, 12:49 PM
But you're only adding a few weeks to the service time. That's rarely much of a consideration. The bigger consideration is for guys who are not on the 40-man roster. You have to add them, which means you use up an option year the following year if they don't make the club. Sweeney is in that category, so it's possible he won't get a September callup.

heh... only reason why I mentioned this is because I vaguely remember some posters bitching about McCarthy going up and down last year because "the Sox didn't want to pay him arb, so they were denying him service time"... :rolleyes:

BadBobbyJenks
08-14-2006, 12:51 PM
I hope they call up Fields. I've been hearing so much about him since 04 and have yet seen him. Besides, Crede has played almost every game thus far. It can't hurt if they give him a chance to rest that back.

and this is why we have mack, not to play center to back up crede

KyWhiSoxFan
08-14-2006, 12:55 PM
and this is why we have mack, not to play center to back up crede

Someone forgot to tell Ozzie that.

JB98
08-14-2006, 12:59 PM

RP Sean Tracey
RP Agustin Montero
LP Boone Logan
OF Ryan Sweeney
3B Josh Fields
C Chris Stewart

I don't think they'll bring up Tracey, Montero AND Hermanson. There isn't enough work for them all, so they'll probably bring two of the three. Logan will definitely be up because he's left-handed.

Fields and Stewart are almost certain to be called up. I assume we'll add another outfielder, so we only have three true OFs on the current roster. Whoever they call up needs to be able to play CF better than Mack.

Ol' No. 2
08-14-2006, 01:13 PM
I don't think they'll bring up Tracey, Montero AND Hermanson. There isn't enough work for them all, so they'll probably bring two of the three. Logan will definitely be up because he's left-handed.

Fields and Stewart are almost certain to be called up. I assume we'll add another outfielder, so we only have three true OFs on the current roster. Whoever they call up needs to be able to play CF better than Mack.The only reason to play Mack is to get him playing time, not to give Anderson a rest, so another CF isn't really what they need. I, for one, would like to see him spell Dye a bit. He's played 105 games already, and he could use a rest. (Although he sure isn't hitting like he needs a rest.)

DSpivack
08-14-2006, 03:13 PM
The only reason to play Mack is to get him playing time, not to give Anderson a rest, so another CF isn't really what they need. I, for one, would like to see him spell Dye a bit. He's played 105 games already, and he could use a rest. (Although he sure isn't hitting like he needs a rest.)

How much playing time will guys get in a close race, though? I can't remember anyone last September.

gobears1987
08-14-2006, 03:16 PM
How much playing time will guys get in a close race, though? I can't remember anyone last September.I know Anderson got some playing time last September. Remember the 2 HRs against Seattle? I think Borch got a couple of ABs.

DaleJRFan
08-14-2006, 03:17 PM
How much playing time will guys get in a close race, though? I can't remember anyone last September.

Don't you remember the 3-game set in Cleveland to end the season?? :D: Ozzie threw a AAA lineup against them and the Sox still killed em.

Chez
08-14-2006, 03:23 PM
I know Anderson got some playing time last September. Remember the 2 HRs against Seattle? I think Borch got a couple of ABs.

Actually, I think BA's 2 homer game was when he came up in August to replace either Pods or Crede or El Duque (someone was on the DL) before the roster expanded.

Chicken Dinner
08-14-2006, 03:38 PM
Actually, I think BA's 2 homer game was when he came up in August to replace either Pods or Crede or El Duque (someone was on the DL) before the roster expanded.

http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/wrap.jsp?ymd=20050826&content_id=1184833&vkey=wrapup2005&fext=.jsp&team=away

This one??

Chez
08-14-2006, 03:48 PM
Yep. 8/26 -- before rosters expanded. Thanks.

Foulke You
08-14-2006, 03:54 PM
I could see starting pitcher Tim Redding getting the call up when rosters expand. Redding is 10W-9L this year, has 4 complete games, 3.87 E.R.A., 127 Ks, 54 BBs. He isn't exactly tearing it up but the numbers are serviceable and he has MLB experience which is nice to have in a pennant race. Redding might come in handy as an innings eater/long relief man in blowout games to save our starting pitchers. He could also make a spot start if we end up having a double header from a rainout.

Mohoney
08-14-2006, 04:02 PM
Sweeney is in that category, so it's possible he won't get a September callup.

Don't we have to add him to the 40 man before the next Rule V draft anyway?

Ol' No. 2
08-14-2006, 04:07 PM
Don't we have to add him to the 40 man before the next Rule V draft anyway?Sweeney was drafted in 2003. How many years does he have to have in the minors before that happens? It's got to be more than three years, no?

BigPapaPump
08-14-2006, 04:11 PM
What about Haeger? I was at the game he started in, he looked more nervous than anything. I bet if he got another chance, maybe in a mop up situation, he could settle down and throw strikes.

Mohoney
08-14-2006, 04:16 PM
I don't know how accurate this is, but this is the best I could find:

Eligibility: A player not on a team's Major League 40-man roster is eligible for the Rule 5 draft if: the player was 18 or younger when he first signed a pro contract and this is the fourth Rule 5 draft since he signed, OR if he was 19 or older when he first signed a pro contract and this is the third Rule 5 draft since he signed.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/s/transanctionsprimer.html

Scroll down the page to "Rule 5"

Mohoney
08-14-2006, 04:20 PM
Sweeney was 18 when he was drafted, and the 2007 Rule 5 Draft would be the 4th draft since he signed.

Ol' No. 2
08-14-2006, 04:21 PM
I don't know how accurate this is, but this is the best I could find:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/s/transanctionsprimer.html

Scroll down the page to "Rule 5"His DOB is 2/20/85, so he was 18 when he was drafted in 2003. I'd assume he signed shortly thereafter. That would make 2006 the fourth Rule V draft since he signed. So I guess you're right - they do need to add him to the 40-man roster before then.

DaleJRFan
08-14-2006, 04:56 PM
His DOB is 2/20/85, so he was 18 when he was drafted in 2003. I'd assume he signed shortly thereafter. That would make 2006 the fourth Rule V draft since he signed. So I guess you're right - they do need to add him to the 40-man roster before then.

When is the rule5 draft??

The 40-man roster stands at 38, so there's room for Sweeney without having to outright someone else...

A. Cavatica
08-14-2006, 05:35 PM

RP Sean Tracey
RP Agustin Montero
LP Boone Logan
OF Ryan Sweeney
3B Josh Fields
C Chris Stewart

Tracey and Logan seem like good bets; Fields and Sweeney less so, because of the 40-man roster issue. I'd like to see them come up, though.

I doubt Montero will be back. He was serviceable, but has no future in the organization. Tracey, Hermanson, and Haeger (among RHP) would get summoned before he does. I can't see the Sox bringing up four pitchers, though, so Haeger's chances depend on whether Hermy is healthy enough to be useful.

Don't forget that the Knights will be in the AAA playoffs, and while the Sox will bring up players right away if they want to use them, they're likely to leave some of these guys at Charlotte until the playoffs are over.

Owens probably wouldn't be used except as a pinch runner, but in a crucial game he could be the magic bullet. And they should keep Stewart fresh in case there's a late injury to one of the other catchers. I hope the Sox both of these guys up after the AAA playoffs.

Sox-o-matic
08-14-2006, 05:49 PM
What about Haeger? I was at the game he started in, he looked more nervous than anything. I bet if he got another chance, maybe in a mop up situation, he could settle down and throw strikes.

Easier said than done. Controlling a knuckleball is hard work. Besides, since this thing is most likley going to go down to the wire, I'd be much happier with a veteran coming out of the pen, even if it is in mop up duty. It's too easy for a major league team to put up 4-5 runs or more in an inning off a pitcher who looks lost out on the mound (Logan, Haeger).

My vote goes to Redding and Tracey/Montero, who both looked decent when they were up here.

soxfanreggie
08-14-2006, 06:12 PM
I bet the guys are hoping to get called up. I know the pension standards for the minimum pension are ridiculously easy to get. 43 days vests a player for a lifetime pension and one day for medical benefits (no idea if that is lifetime or just while playing).

http://www.baseballpension.com/synopsis.pdf

Read The Facts, section A

Lip Man 1
08-14-2006, 11:13 PM
Wow...43 days?

In the 60's you had to play five years to qualify and ten years if you wanted top benefits.

Lip

California Sox
08-14-2006, 11:51 PM
Sweeney was drafted in 2003. How many years does he have to have in the minors before that happens? It's got to be more than three years, no?

Ryan Sweeney has to be added to the 40 man this off season as does Josh Fields. Stewart, Montero, Logan, Haeger are already on it.

PeoriaSoxFan
08-15-2006, 08:01 AM
Hermanson will be a call up for sure.