PDA

View Full Version : What's up with Sweeny hitting lead-off?

CaptUSN
08-13-2006, 07:09 PM
And playing lef and center field? Is he a legit prospect as a lead-off hitter?

Daver
08-13-2006, 07:34 PM
He could be, he's a decent contact hitter, and has some speed, but he will need to learn plate discipline.

Britt Burns
08-13-2006, 11:22 PM
I think Sweeney will eventually hit his way into one of the 2, 3, 5, or 6 holes, but I think he would do a good job as a leadoff hitter next year. If he does well the rest of the season and if he gets a September call up, I think you can pretty much bank on the fact that Pods won't be back next year.

caulfield12
08-14-2006, 12:34 AM
The White Sox don't have the luxury of experimenting with Sweeney in the heat of a pennant race at the big league level.

It will have to wait for the AFL or Winter Ball to see how he progresses, then Spring Training. Plus the Knights will be in the playoffs.

Sargeant79
08-16-2006, 01:00 PM
I think Sweeney will eventually hit his way into one of the 2, 3, 5, or 6 holes, but I think he would do a good job as a leadoff hitter next year. If he does well the rest of the season and if he gets a September call up, I think you can pretty much bank on the fact that Pods won't be back next year.

That was my first thought as well. I think the organization is not as confident in Pods as they would like, and they're probably trying to see if Sweeney might fit in next year as a leadoff hitter. If that happens and it turns out well, watch them sign Dye to an extension real quick.

My knowledge of Sweeney is limited...what are his OBP & steals numbers like? Is he a base-stealing threat?

Lillian
08-16-2006, 02:07 PM
Josh Fields would make a more likely lead off hitter than Sweeney. Moreover, he is ahead of Sweeney on the depth chart, because of his age. Sweeney is still only 21. If you have ever seen Ryan, you would likely conclude that he will ultimately be a middle of the order hitter. He is a tall kid, at 6' 4", and when he fills out some more, he should become a pretty good power hitter.
Fields is a smaller guy, who looks shorter than his listed height of 6' 1". He has plus speed, and is 23 for 28 in stolen base attempts this season. Fields has a higher on base percentage (.384 vs .351) as well. Even though he has hit for more power this season, Fields would have a better potential for a lead off hitter than Sweeney. That said, I don't really think that the Sox project him to be a lead off guy either.

nedlug
08-16-2006, 02:24 PM
FWIW, I would be very scared to just throw a couple of rooks into the 'leadoff' spot, especially with the way the organization's looking for the future. I wouldn't want to throw a year away (well, under-utilizing it) trying to groom a future leadoff in the bigs... look at BA, Crede - pretty much anybody - making the move from the minors to the majors full-time.

I am tempted to say, at this moment, and assuming Pods is not here next year, that BA would be a better, more solid option at the leadoff spot than either JF or RS. Well, I guess it's been said now. What do y'all think?

CashMan
08-16-2006, 02:38 PM
Well, I have thought all season, that Anderson would be hitting #1 next year. I think that next year, Pods will be gone, and Fields will be playing LF, and Dye's option will picked up.

the gooch
08-16-2006, 04:31 PM
Well, I have thought all season, that Anderson would be hitting #1 next year. I think that next year, Pods will be gone, and Fields will be playing LF, and Dye's option will picked up.
That's two positions where a lot of production is expected, and you think you can get it from two young guys that have never been in those roles before? It would be nice to have these guys produce, but this scenario is somewhere between overconfident and silly, IMO.

CashMan
08-16-2006, 06:52 PM
I understand that, but I really think that is the plan next year. He lead off in SP, I know that is not the regular season.

Huisj
08-16-2006, 06:52 PM
Anderson batting leadoff? Fields batting leadoff? These guys are strikeout machines even when they hit well. They are not leadoff hitters.

CleeFan101
08-16-2006, 07:22 PM
With Uribe's play this season its not unheard of to think we might replace him and get our leadoff hitter from the SS position. One name that has been tossed around a little would be Rollins... we could easily do something with the Phillies with Garcia or Vazquez being the main pieces on our side and Rollins on theirs.

EMachine10
08-17-2006, 02:41 AM
If anderson can cut down on some of his k's, which he has a little bit lately, he would be the best candidate on the team without pods. he still may strike out more than pods does, but i dont see any other scenarios with him gone. I also agree that dye will get picked up for next year to give sweeney one more year to develop his body, and then switch fields to left a la carlos lee. I think that every year we're going to break in a new rookie...this year anderson, next year fields and mac into the rotation, and the year after we'll do sweeney.

caulfield12
08-17-2006, 12:48 PM
Anderson strikes out too much and he's been a very much below average baserunner IMO. I would ALMOST rather have Jose Valentin, because at least he makes intelligent decisions 98% of the time once he does get on base.

Fields will never be a leadoff hitter, Sweeney would be a better 2 or 7 hitter eventually, although he will undoubtedly start at 8 or 9.

caulfield12
08-17-2006, 12:49 PM
I would love to get Rollins, but it's going to cost a lot more than either Vazquez or Garcia. Remember, the Phillies were trying to dump salary (see Abreu), they're not in a hurry to get a 4/5 starter that makes $10 million.

It would probably be Uribe, Garcia and a prospect not named Fields/Sweeney/Broadway to get this done.

CleeFan101
08-17-2006, 07:31 PM
I would love to get Rollins, but it's going to cost a lot more than either Vazquez or Garcia. Remember, the Phillies were trying to dump salary (see Abreu), they're not in a hurry to get a 4/5 starter that makes $10 million.

It would probably be Uribe, Garcia and a prospect not named Fields/Sweeney/Broadway to get this done.

Well Garcia/Vazquez would both probably be top of the rotation guys in the NL and yeah we might as well include Uribe since he is being replaced.

MadetoOrta
08-17-2006, 07:37 PM
Omar Vizquel's hitting .325. He'll be playing when he's 40. At any rate, we need a Rollins type

nedlug
08-18-2006, 03:37 PM
Just to clarify - I wasn't suggesting throwing BA in the leadoff spot... just saying that he'd probably do better there than Sweeney or Fields next year, no matter how good those two are in AAA or how good they are projected to be.

For the record, I would love to have Rollins on this team. What's his contract look like?

Sargeant79
08-18-2006, 04:35 PM
Just to clarify - I wasn't suggesting throwing BA in the leadoff spot... just saying that he'd probably do better there than Sweeney or Fields next year, no matter how good those two are in AAA or how good they are projected to be.

For the record, I would love to have Rollins on this team. What's his contract look like?

Rollins is making $5 million this year. I'm not sure about next year, but I seem to remember it going up into the $6-7 million range.

While Rollins would certainly be an upgrade over Uribe on offense, I'm not sure he is an ideal leadoff hitter. He steals a good amount of bases and he's done a nice job of cutting down on his strikeouts the last few years, but his OBP is usually around .335, give or take a little bit. I'd like to see better out of a leadoff hitter.

Also, I have no idea what his defense is like (don't watch many national league games). Anyone?