PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Jenks - Sox save record holder?

russ99
08-13-2006, 05:01 PM
Big Bad Bobby's now up to 33 saves, with today's win over the Tigers.

Does he have a realistic shot at Thigpen's team (MLB?) record of 57 saves, or Foulke's (2nd place) 42 saves?

There's a lot of baseball left to play, but we also have to think about Oz resting him for (hopefully) the playoffs.

jabrch
08-13-2006, 05:05 PM
Foulke's he should get...

Thiggy - Nope - not this season

CanBuehrleWait
08-13-2006, 05:07 PM
:cleo"I forsee many blowout White Sox wins in the last 40+ games"

34rancher
08-13-2006, 05:09 PM
Was today a save? I thought that the 4 run lead would prohibit it.

JRIG
08-13-2006, 05:11 PM
He entered with the tying run on deck. Thus, a save opportunity.

Sox-o-matic
08-13-2006, 05:16 PM
Thigpen's record is going to stand for a long time, not just on the Sox but in baseball period. A terrific closer wo is healthy and consistent all year long might make it to 70-75 appearances per season. For even 57 of those to be save opportunities means two things:

1. The team the closer is on has either a bad starting staff or weak offense (which lessens the chance of a save opportunity) or

2. That team plays, and wins, a ton of very close games which would ultimately depend on the regular use of a dominant bullpen. That alone would probably mean that many appearances made by the closer would be in tie or down by one or two situations.

No matter what, that 57 saves record is going to be damn hard to break.

A.T. Money
08-13-2006, 05:19 PM
He'll pass Foulke this year, but no way he'll pass Thigpen.

I'm guessing Bobby will finish with about 47 saves.

TDog
08-13-2006, 05:20 PM
Ideally, you wouldn't want Jenks to pitch too many consecutive games during the regular season because he would lose his effectiveness. It also would give hitters a better look at his stuff. I'm sure Guillen didn't want to use him today.

If you see the Sox with three save opportunities in three days, I wouldn't be surprised to see MacDougal closing one of those games.

I think Thigpen's record will be around a long time.

34rancher
08-13-2006, 05:27 PM
I don't care if he even comes close to Thiggy...

The record I am hoping for Big Bad Bobby Jenks would be the career saves, both with the Sox and MLB...That would mean a lot of White Sox Winners over the next decade...

Baby Fisk
08-13-2006, 05:58 PM
Wait, didn't that Papelbon guy already break Thigpen's record? I thought I saw something on ESPN. :rolleyes:

soxfanatlanta
08-13-2006, 07:35 PM
Wait, didn't that Papelbon guy already break Thigpen's record? I thought I saw something on ESPN. :rolleyes:

No NO, you got it all wrong. Papelbon is going to pass Lee Smith in all time saves sometime next month.

Brantley said so. :wink:

Ol' No. 2
08-13-2006, 07:37 PM
Wait, didn't that Papelbon guy already break Thigpen's record? I thought I saw something on ESPN. :rolleyes:Hey, are you sure about that stuff in your sig about the Chinese settlements on the Atlantic Coast? Are you sure it wasn't the Norse eating carry-out Chinese food?

Brian26
08-13-2006, 08:01 PM
Does he have a realistic shot at Thigpen's team (MLB?) record of 57 saves, or Foulke's (2nd place) 42 saves?

Foulke, yes. Thiggy, no way in hell.

Britt Burns
08-13-2006, 08:04 PM
Thiggy's record will last for a while longer. Foulke's Sox record...not so much.

Lip Man 1
08-13-2006, 09:10 PM
Thiggy's 57 saves is going to stand for a very long time.

Lip

Foulke You
08-13-2006, 09:28 PM
Thiggy's 57 saves is going to stand for a very long time.

Lip
I have to agree Lip. I remember in 2001 when Sasaki from the Mariners got off to a really fast start with saves and everyone talked of Thigpen's record falling but it never happened and Sasaki finished with 45. I think Gagne's name was brought up fairly recently too but Thigpen's record is still standing.

Thiggy appeared in 77 games in 1990 and finished with 57 saves. He threw 88.7 innings that year too but those were 88.7 hard innings in key situations. The stress on the arm isn't the same as throwing 88.7 innings in long relief and Thiggy slowed down after that record setting year.

I just think that many managers nowadays wouldn't overwork a closer like that to even make it a possibility for Thigpen's record to fall. Plus, as some posters pointed out, there has to be a lot of close games played for a closer to get that many opportunities to break the record and the 1990 Sox were a scrappy bunch that had to grind out a lot of close ballgames.

slavko
08-13-2006, 09:31 PM
And after that 57 save season Thiggy was never the same. I know about him overthrowing on the side on off days and the club not being able to stop him, but if Cooper can say "We limit throwing on the side," (he did say this), the same thing could have been done then.

Ozzie, don't work him to death.

Tragg
08-13-2006, 10:11 PM
I hope he breaks neither record.

soxfanreggie
08-13-2006, 10:16 PM
I think he can hit 42, but I don't foresee him or any closer for a long while breaking Thigpen's record.

PalehosePlanet
08-13-2006, 10:22 PM
Gagne had 55 saves in 2003; that's the closest anyone has come to Thiggy's record.

ewokpelts
08-13-2006, 10:36 PM
no

Lip Man 1
08-13-2006, 10:48 PM
Slavko:

Read Donn Pall's interview...he talks about Thiggy and his throwing on the sidelines.

Lip

DSpivack
08-13-2006, 10:59 PM
Gagne had 55 saves in 2003; that's the closest anyone has come to Thiggy's record.

Smoltz also had 55 in 2002.

gbergman
08-14-2006, 12:37 AM
25 saves in 46 games is doubtful. On the other hand if he did the sox would be at least a 95 win team. His arm would be dead for the playoffs though. I think he will break Foulkes record though.

soxinem1
08-19-2006, 10:22 AM
I thought Smoltz would get Thigpen's record a few years ago, then he hurt his arm.

For anyone to break that record, you have to look for a team like the 1990 White Sox, which played many low scoring games, but was also a streaky team.

Plus, remember Thiggy had Barry Jones setting him up, and that is key. We haven't really had someone establish themselves in the role this year.

Jenks will have an excellent year, but he won't come close to 57.

ClaudelSleptHere
08-19-2006, 11:33 AM
It didn't take until the following season for Thiggy to start losing it. Many of his second half saves involved getting himself out of jams that he created. Fifty-seven saves is amazing, but Thiggy was hardly lights out. I remember sweating out many of those fifty-seven.

Nellie_Fox
08-20-2006, 01:40 AM
Many of his second half saves involved getting himself out of jams that he created. Yeah, he struggled in a lot of them, but he didn't create his own save situations. The rule is pretty clear; you have to enter the game with a lead of three runs or less and pitch a complete inning, or enter the game with the tying run either on base, at bat, or in the on-deck circle, or pitch at least three effective innings to finish a game in which you are not the pitcher of record (common years ago, almost unheard of these days.) So, you cannot put the runners that create a save situation on base yourself and then get a save.

soxinem1
08-20-2006, 08:44 AM
Yeah, he struggled in a lot of them, but he didn't create his own save situations. The rule is pretty clear; you have to enter the game with a lead of three runs or less and pitch a complete inning, or enter the game with the tying run either on base, at bat, or in the on-deck circle, or pitch at least three effective innings to finish a game in which you are not the pitcher of record (common years ago, almost unheard of these days.) So, you cannot put the runners that create a save situation on base yourself and then get a save.

Very true. Plus, that was not a team that had many big leads, so there were not too many cheapies in that 57. Plus, Bobby was not a really hard thrower or a big K guy, so many balls were put in play off of him.