PDA

View Full Version : Levineline Slips

TornLabrum
08-13-2006, 02:01 PM
I don't recall the gist of the conversation mainly because I was dial flipping on my car radio today, but I did catch this. Bruce Levine was discussing the Cubs with someone and began his question, "What if we...uh...the Cubs..."

So now we know the rumors are true. I guess he doesn't need to pretend anymore now that the Sox are off his station.

jdm2662
08-13-2006, 02:04 PM
Nice one Torn! If people don't get he's the biggest Cubs apologist on the radio by now, they never will. When he tried to spin the trash the field incident on Sox fans and no one fell for it pretty much summed it up for me.

CLR01
08-13-2006, 02:18 PM
Levinline Slips

Why do you tease us like that Torn?

Brian26
08-13-2006, 02:49 PM
I don't recall the gist of the conversation mainly because I was dial flipping on my car radio today, but I did catch this. Bruce Levine was discussing the Cubs with someone and began his question, "What if we...uh...the Cubs..."

So now we know the rumors are true. I guess he doesn't need to pretend anymore now that the Sox are off his station.

I haven't listened to this show since last year, but I decided to give it a try this morning while I was reading the paper and having breakfast. Between 9:30 and 11am, it was a solid 90 minutes of Cubs talk. Chris Bodin kept promising to take Sox calls since he didn't want to turn it into an all-Cubs show, but that didn't happen until after the break at 11am. And then it was right back to the Cubs at about 11:25.

Levineline's one juicy idea from today is that the Sox are going to get rid of Pods this winter and go after Juan Pierre, actually putting him in LF and keeping BA in CF. Levine said that he's heard whispers of this (take that for what its worth - not a whole lot). The idea is that Guillen still likes Pierre from their Florida days. Pierre's arm wouldn't be good enough to play CF, but LF and hitting leadoff would work.

slavko
08-13-2006, 06:05 PM
Levineline's one juicy idea from today is that the Sox are going to get rid of Pods this winter and go after Juan Pierre, actually putting him in LF and keeping BA in CF. Levine said that he's heard whispers of this (take that for what its worth - not a whole lot). The idea is that Guillen still likes Pierre from their Florida days. Pierre's arm wouldn't be good enough to play CF, but LF and hitting leadoff would work.

Spoken like a true shill trying to goose up a trade for someone the Cubs want to dump. We're not buying.

ilsox7
08-13-2006, 06:18 PM
Spoken like a true shill trying to goose up a trade for someone the Cubs want to dump. We're not buying.

Pierre is a free agent after this year and probably did not clear waivers. Even if he did, if the Cubs had wanted to trade him, they would have at the non-waiver deadline.

HotelWhiteSox
08-13-2006, 06:24 PM
Levine makes it too obvious. Just listen to the afternoon show when the Cubs are at home and listen to his live update, he screams "This is BRUCE LEVINE reporting!" all happily. At the Sox games, he just says it normally. Yes, nitpicking, but obvious

SOXPHILE
08-13-2006, 06:27 PM
Well, the guy is a writer for Vineline. So, he does work for the Cubs. I've always said that he had a conflict of interest.

SOXSINCE'70
08-13-2006, 06:47 PM
Thank God for my satellite radio!!

Hours of commercial free music is a very,very good thing!!:cool:

buehrle4cy05
08-13-2006, 06:59 PM
I also heard Jeff Brantley refer to the Red Sox as "we" last week.

Vernam
08-13-2006, 07:27 PM
I also heard Jeff Brantley refer to the Red Sox as "we" last week. The other night on BBTN, they were asking Brantley what it's like to play on a team that's in the middle of blowing a big lead in the standings. (Something he knows about from his time with the Giants.) Choking seemed to be the one topic where he has a ton of credibility. :cool:

Speaking of credibility (or really, the lack thereof), Levine today said Buehrle is "sore" after yesterday's outing. He tried to clarify by saying it's possibly just general body soreness instead of anything to do with the arm. Definitely a sign of someone who's spent too long hanging around certain north side pitchers. Considering no other reporter has raised the issue, I'm not going to lose sleep over Mark's health.

Vernam

Ol' No. 2
08-13-2006, 07:28 PM
I haven't listened to this show since last year, but I decided to give it a try this morning while I was reading the paper and having breakfast. Between 9:30 and 11am, it was a solid 90 minutes of Cubs talk. Chris Bodin kept promising to take Sox calls since he didn't want to turn it into an all-Cubs show, but that didn't happen until after the break at 11am. And then it was right back to the Cubs at about 11:25.

Levineline's one juicy idea from today is that the Sox are going to get rid of Pods this winter and go after Juan Pierre, actually putting him in LF and keeping BA in CF. Levine said that he's heard whispers of this (take that for what its worth - not a whole lot). The idea is that Guillen still likes Pierre from their Florida days. Pierre's arm wouldn't be good enough to play CF, but LF and hitting leadoff would work.Why would the Sox want Pierre?? He's much worse getting on base (in the NL Central, mind you) and he has more steals only because they have no one hitting behind him so he might as well run all the time. His arm is, if anything, weaker than Pods.

MarySwiss
08-13-2006, 08:08 PM
Nice thing about living in the Southwest is that I have absolutely no idea who this Levine person is, nor do I care. As for Brantley, he is now and has always been a tool. Just like his colleagues--and I use that word loosely.

They can all go straight to hell. If they can get in.

Palehose Pete
08-13-2006, 08:11 PM
Wow. Pierre in LF would be a nice move... on '03-'04. He's slipped this year and who is to say that he agree to would move to Lf from CF. The Cubs picked up Juan because he was on the Marlings team that handed it to them in '03 and the Cubs cannot forget that. That does not, however, make him valuable. Juan is just not worth it. I agree with whomever said that Levineline is priming the pump for a Cubs trade. Wow. What a shill.

TornLabrum
08-13-2006, 08:35 PM
Hey CLR! I just thought of something. Were you expecting this thread to be about a line of ladies lingerie that Bruce is putting out?

buehrle4cy05
08-13-2006, 08:37 PM
Why would the Sox want Pierre?? He's much worse getting on base (in the NL Central, mind you) and he has more steals only because they have no one hitting behind him so he might as well run all the time. His arm is, if anything, weaker than Pods.

Exactly. If you think people are complaining about our LF now, just wait if we get Pierre.

Lip Man 1
08-13-2006, 10:20 PM
If the Sox decide to upgrade in left field and leadoff, they'll be making a pitch for Ichiro who is in the final year of his contract in 2007 and wants out of Seattle.

The Sox need to grab him before he hits the open market because you know he'll end up with the Yankees just as Williams and Sheffield retire.

Lip

caulfield12
08-13-2006, 10:52 PM
I don't think the Yankees want Sheffield after this year.

Abreu's set for RF, I know Sheffield might be able to adapt to 1B to get through this season, but he should be a full-time DH, and he won't be able to do that with Giambi around.

Abreu, Damon and Matsui don't leave much room for Ichiro, and they also have Melky Cabrera.

Tragg
08-13-2006, 11:04 PM
The Cubs really loaded up with some slugs this year and should be stuck with them for awhile.
Pierre, Jock Jones, 3 no-hit middle infielders (they're paying Nefi Perez like 2 mill a year).
Howry is their bullpen stud (egads!), along with Dempster, who I think was extended.

Yuk.

I wouldn't mind taking matt murton off their hands, though.

buehrle4cy05
08-14-2006, 02:00 AM
If the Sox decide to upgrade in left field and leadoff, they'll be making a pitch for Ichiro who is in the final year of his contract in 2007 and wants out of Seattle.

:praying:

Unfortunately, Seattle's ownership would probably block any trade involving Ichiro.

dickallen15
08-14-2006, 08:49 AM
Ozzie loves Pierre, and while he can't throw at all, he would get to and catch balls Pods winds up tip-toeing to so he can pick it up when it stops rolling. He also isn't going to shut it down on the basepaths, and runs everything out. Pierre is far from a perfect player and far from a perfect leadoff guy. But anyone who doesn't think he's an upgrade over Pods is kidding themselves.

Tragg
08-14-2006, 09:14 AM
Ozzie loves Pierre, and while he can't throw at all, he would get to and catch balls Pods winds up tip-toeing to so he can pick it up when it stops rolling. He also isn't going to shut it down on the basepaths, and runs everything out. Pierre is far from a perfect player and far from a perfect leadoff guy. But anyone who doesn't think he's an upgrade over Pods is kidding themselves.
Juan PIerre hasn't hit an OBP of .330 in the last 2 seasons. During that time, he has a total of 3 homers. If the Cubs want to give him away (and I mean give), fine, bring him to spring training....but to send the cubs any sort of serious baseball talent for Pierre's level of offensive production is nuts.

dickallen15
08-14-2006, 09:25 AM
Juan PIerre hasn't hit an OBP of .330 in the last 2 seasons. During that time, he has a total of 3 homers. If the Cubs want to give him away (and I mean give), fine, bring him to spring training....but to send the cubs any sort of serious baseball talent for Pierre's level of offensive production is nuts.

He's going to be a free agent. Our current leadoff man has 3 homers the last 2 seasons as well.

PatK
08-14-2006, 10:17 AM
Look at their numbers this year and as right now.

I know the Cubs hate is strong here, but Pierre's numbers are the same, if not better.

That being said, I'll take that Ichiro fella in a heartbeat.

miker
08-14-2006, 11:49 AM
Wait a minute! Bruce Levine-line says he's totally objective...

captain54
08-14-2006, 12:34 PM
I remember a couple of years ago when B Levine said in a pre-game show that it was a mistake to play Frank Thomas in a particular game because he didn't
match up well against the opposing pitcher, he was still not 100%, blah, blah, blah...that same night he hit a couple of homers and won the game for the Sox...

who can forget the famous tirade from then pitcher Ed Lynch (in the 90's)
when Levine opened his mouth and told Lynch "without the media you don't have a job".....classic

why Bruce Levine continues to have a job I'll never understand

Foulke You
08-14-2006, 01:53 PM
My opinion on adding Pierre in the offseason to replace Pods is that it really would be kind've a lateral move if anything. They are very similar players. They both hit leadoff, they both steal a lot of bases, they both bring a speed/grinder dynamic to the team, both have poor throwing arms (Pods probably a bit better), and they both lack a power hitting game. If you're going to upgrade at LF, the Sox likely will make it more of an impact player with some pop in their bat. I'm not sure what impact type LFs will be on the market next year except Soriano (who will cost a fortune and isn't a leadoff man) so this might be a situation where they're better off holding on to Pods.

I think Ichiro is a pipe dream because Seattle will not let their #1 gate attraction get away but my goodness would he look good in a Sox uniform.:cool:

wdelaney72
08-14-2006, 02:05 PM
What really bothers me about Levine is that he frequently feels the need to come out and say on the air "since I've been a reporter, I've had to intentionally remove any emotional ties I have to either team" which is a complete joke.

My other favorite quote of Levine's is him referring to Jimy Williams as "a great baseball man". Yeah, that great baseball man failed with the Blow Sox and failed with the Astros. Both teams went on to the World Series after he was shown the door.

nedlug
08-14-2006, 02:06 PM
I think Ichiro is a pipe dream...but my goodness would he look good in a Sox uniform.:cool:

I'll add myself to the huge list of people who would take Ichiro over anyone else in left to replace Pods.

Dick Allen
08-14-2006, 02:11 PM
I thought I once heard Levine say he was in tears after the Sox won it last year. Tears of joy or sadness?

The Critic
08-14-2006, 02:24 PM
I'll add myself to the huge list of people who would take Ichiro over anyone else in left to replace Pods.

Here's a deep-pink followup question:
If the Sox did acquire Ichiro, do you move Dye to LF or put Ichiro there?
I think I'd move Jermaine to left - Ichiro has a stronger arm and is faster.

TornLabrum
08-15-2006, 10:00 AM
What really bothers me about Levine is that he frequently feels the need to come out and say on the air "since I've been a reporter, I've had to intentionally remove any emotional ties I have to either team" which is a complete joke.

My other favorite quote of Levine's is him referring to Jimy Williams as "a great baseball man". Yeah, that great baseball man failed with the Blow Sox and failed with the Astros. Both teams went on to the World Series after he was shown the door.

Hey! Jimy Williams is a great baseball man. He's just a lousy manager.

BainesHOF
08-17-2006, 12:45 AM
Bruce Levine is a joke. So is George Offman. Why do they even pretend to be objective?

Scottzilla
08-17-2006, 12:37 PM

LOL I'd be all for that but its just as likely Christ will return to Earth to play LF for the sox!

Flight #24
08-17-2006, 01:32 PM
I thought I once heard Levine say he was in tears after the Sox won it last year. Tears of joy or sadness?
I heard he got kneed in the groin during the media crush after gm4, hence the tears.

SpartanSoxFan
08-17-2006, 09:21 PM
Guys, we are talking about an individual who has a feature column in Vineline, a Flubbs publication. Need we say more???

miker
08-18-2006, 12:18 PM
I heard he got kneed in the groin during the media crush after gm4, hence the tears.
Does he have anything in the groin area to injure?