PDA

View Full Version : Jenks for ROY?

stacksedwards
08-13-2006, 01:42 PM
I was just looking on booyah.com aka espn.com and they have some poll about who should get Rookie of the Year in the AL. My question is this, why isnt Bobby Jenks' name mentioned. I thought that if you were not on the opening day roster and played the year before you were still considered a rookie until you started on the opening day roster? Did I just make this up? Did Jenks ever begin the season on the Angles roster?

getonbckthr
08-13-2006, 01:47 PM
You have to play a certain number of games and Bobby far exceded that last year. Based on your thought Ryan Howard would be eligible to win back-to-back ROY.

Rgilliam32
08-13-2006, 01:47 PM
Status for being a rookie is determined on games on the major league roster in the previous year, and Jenks surpassed that last year

CLR01
08-13-2006, 01:50 PM
I was just looking on booyah.com aka espn.com and they have some poll about who should get Rookie of the Year in the AL. My question is this, why isnt Bobby Jenks' name mentioned. I thought that if you were not on the opening day roster and played the year before you were still considered a rookie until you started on the opening day roster? Did I just make this up? Did Jenks ever begin the season on the Angles roster?

They go by service time. Jenks spent more than 45 days with the Sox last year so that would qualify as his rookie season.

Brian26
08-13-2006, 02:44 PM
Did Jenks ever begin the season on the Angles roster?

Jenks was on the Sox spring training roster. The Sox claimed him off waivers in December '04.

gbergman
08-13-2006, 04:37 PM
if you play 50 or more innings you lose ROY status

miker
08-14-2006, 11:51 AM
I thought this was a trade rumor thread and the first thing through my mind was that the Sox don't need a goalie and Patrick Roy has retired. *rimshot* :D:

Chicken Dinner
08-14-2006, 12:08 PM
What are the qualifications for a baseball player to be considered a rookie?-- Ted/Judy LohnesA: For hitters, a player will be considered a rookie if he had less than 130 at-bats in any previous season. For pitchers, if they haven't pitched more than 50 innings in a previous season, they are considered rookies. Also, if any player spent more than 45 days on a team's active roster, they cannot be considered a rookie.