PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Sox History 8-14

Lip Man 1
08-13-2006, 12:25 PM
More strange things happening versus the Orioles....so what else is new? LOL!

August 14, 1939 - Itís the first time a major league night game is played in Chicago with the Sox besting the St. Louis Browns 5-2.

August 14, 1983 - Carlton Fisk appeared to hit a go ahead home run in the 5th inning off the Orioles Scott McGregor only to have home plate umpire Jim Evans overrule 3rd base umpire Greg Kosc and say it was a ground rule double. The decision was based on the impression that a fan appeared to have leaned over the wall to catch it. The Sox wind up losing 2-1. That fan then called Jimmy Piersallís radio show afterwards to give his side of the story. TV replays showed he was not leaning over the wall when he caught the ball. Manager Tony LaRussa went ballistic.. arguing, kicking dirt, then taking the 3rd base bag out of itís position and flinging it towards the Sox dugout. Naturally he was thrown out for it. Just another in a series of bizarre plays that took place against Baltimore down through the years. In a few weeks we'll have the strangest one of them all!

Lip

Brian26
08-13-2006, 02:16 PM
August 14, 1983- Carlton Fisk appeared to hit a go ahead home run in the 5th inning off the Orioles Scott McGregor only to have home plate umpire Jim Evans overrule 3rd base umpire Greg Kosc and say it was a ground rule double. The decision was based on the impression that a fan appeared to have leaned over the wall to catch it. The Sox wind up losing 2-1. That fan then called Jimmy Piersallís radio show afterwards to give his side of the story. TV replays showed he was not leaning over the wall when he caught the ball. Manager Tony LaRussa went ballistic.. arguing, kicking dirt, then taking the 3rd base bag out of itís position and flinging it towards the Sox dugout. Naturally he was thrown out for it. Just another in a series of bizarre plays that took place against Baltimore down through the years. In a few weeks we'll have the strangest one of them all!

Lip

I remember all of that. Hawk and Drysdale went ballistic. I remember hearing that fan call into Piersall after the game too. Lip- do you have the book, "Who's On Third?" Lindberg wrote a few paragraphs about this game too.

batmanZoSo
08-13-2006, 02:44 PM
More strange things happening versus the Orioles....so what else is new? LOL!

August 14, 1983- Carlton Fisk appeared to hit a go ahead home run in the 5th inning off the Orioles Scott McGregor only to have home plate umpire Jim Evans overrule 3rd base umpire Greg Kosc and say it was a ground rule double. The decision was based on the impression that a fan appeared to have leaned over the wall to catch it. The Sox wind up losing 2-1. That fan then called Jimmy Piersallís radio show afterwards to give his side of the story. TV replays showed he was not leaning over the wall when he caught the ball. Manager Tony LaRussa went ballistic.. arguing, kicking dirt, then taking the 3rd base bag out of itís position and flinging it towards the Sox dugout. Naturally he was thrown out for it. Just another in a series of bizarre plays that took place against Baltimore down through the years. In a few weeks we'll have the strangest one of them all!

Lip

Man it seems like we played Baltimore every day that year.

Funny, on the anniversary of Fisk's fake homer, Sean Casey hits one that's called back (correctly in this case).

DSpivack
08-13-2006, 03:04 PM
Was it against in Baltimore last year, or a couple years ago, that I believe Crede got a HR called foul that was obviously fair?

Brian26
08-13-2006, 03:07 PM
Was it against in Baltimore last year, or a couple years ago, that I believe Crede got a HR called foul that was obviously fair?

2003. I'm not sure if Manual even came out of the dugout to argue it. If he did, it was a quick discussion. The radio shows here got all over him about it, so on the next homestand back in town, he got kicked out of the game on purpose in the bottom of the first inning arguing a play at first.

batmanZoSo
08-13-2006, 03:38 PM
2003. I'm not sure if Manual even came out of the dugout to argue it. If he did, it was a quick discussion. The radio shows here got all over him about it, so on the next homestand back in town, he got kicked out of the game on purpose in the bottom of the first inning arguing a play at first.
Manuel walked out with his hands in his pockets for a chat, and that's it. I was a lot more angry at Jerry than the umps myself. That, then the Cotts thing closed the final chapter of the Manuel era.

Ol' No. 2
08-13-2006, 06:56 PM
2003. I'm not sure if Manual even came out of the dugout to argue it. If he did, it was a quick discussion. The radio shows here got all over him about it, so on the next homestand back in town, he got kicked out of the game on purpose in the bottom of the first inning arguing a play at first.That last year Manuel pretty much knew he was toast. Every time the papers (and most of the fans) started screaming for him to get fired because he was too passive he would purposely get tossed from a game. This was the first of many of those.

Lip Man 1
08-13-2006, 09:14 PM
Brian:

yes I do have Rich's book. I also have the video of Fisk's 'home run,' and Tony's meltdown over it.

And yes that was a home run. The fan clearly caught the ball in the first row while standing up...not bending over and down.

Idiot umpires!

Lip

flo-B-flo
08-13-2006, 09:35 PM
I remember this and this is why I'll read this thread every day. The Sox have a unique history.

voodoochile
08-14-2006, 12:19 AM
I don't think there were any for 8/13 until this afternoon that is...:cool:

Lip Man 1
08-14-2006, 11:48 AM
Voodoo:

Not sure what you mean

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77014

Lip

FARMEO
08-14-2006, 12:15 PM
I was at that game in '83. I also smile when I see Tony throw third base during the intro video.

voodoochile
08-14-2006, 12:35 PM
Voodoo:

Not sure what you mean

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77014

Lip

Whoops... missed it... Oh well, hopefully you will be adding yesterday to the list next year.