PDA

View Full Version : Anyone feeling better about the pen?

Save McCuddy's
08-13-2006, 11:02 AM
Loved that McDougal/Thornton/Jenks finish yesterday. It almost looks more dominating in the box score as i'm gloating over my Sun-Times this morning. Knock on wood, but this looks like a very solid late inning lineup for the rest of the way. Matches up well with any of our competitors.

beckett21
08-13-2006, 11:06 AM
The bullpen is outstanding. Agree 100%.

The starting pitching is what needs to be more consistent. If the past week is any indication of the rest of the season, the Sox look to be in good shape for the stretch run.

This is when it gets really fun. :cool:

The Immigrant
08-13-2006, 11:07 AM
When they're on (and Thornton has not been the last couple of weeks), McDougal, Thornton and Jenks may be the most lethal late innings trio in the game. You start with McDougal's fastball in the mid-90's, take it up a notch with Thornton (who's a lefty to boot), and then bring in Jenks with even more gas and a devastating hook. To quote the Super Fans, it's not even fair.

Great pickups by KW across the board.

soxrme
08-13-2006, 11:09 AM
Loved that McDougal/Thornton/Jenks finish yesterday. It almost looks more dominating in the box score as i'm gloating over my Sun-Times this morning. Knock on wood, but this looks like a very solid late inning lineup for the rest of the way. Matches up well with any of our competitors.

Good article in the Trib about the pen today

chisox06
08-13-2006, 11:10 AM
It's nice to have condifence in your bullpen.Thorton/McDougal/Jenks all bring it. Im not worried about those guys.

Corlose 15
08-13-2006, 11:23 AM
When they're on (and Thornton has not been the last couple of weeks), McDougal, Thornton and Jenks may be the most lethal late innings trio in the game. You start with McDougal's fastball in the mid-90's, take it up a notch with Thornton (who's a lefty to boot), and then bring in Jenks with even more gas and a devastating hook. To quote the Super Fans, it's not even fair.

Great pickups by KW across the board.

Thornton looked good against the Yankees on Thursday and had another scoreless outing yesterday so hopefully he's back on track after a little hiccup.

Yes I do like the bullpen and I think the thing I like most about it is that none of these guys are 30 yet. Riske is the elder statesman at 29. The Sox could have a good bullpen for quite a while.

ChiSoxFan7
08-13-2006, 11:29 AM
plus, BM for Long Relief. I would be scared to face this bullpen

SOXSINCE'70
08-13-2006, 11:30 AM
Keep these 6 guys under contract for a while.
Believe it or not,I think they will get better.:cool:

TomBradley72
08-13-2006, 11:33 AM
Still concerned about Cotts. Riske seems decent. The rest look very strong...I saw a stat that the White Sox have the fewest innings pitched by their bullpen so far in 2006 so they should be pretty fresh for the stretch run...I hope Ozzie continues to "shorten the game" when Garcia, Buehrle or Vazquez starts.

Just looked it up on mlb.com...our bullpen has thrown 292 innings this year (the lowest in the AL)...

Lip Man 1
08-13-2006, 12:20 PM
The bullpen looks far better then in the first two months of the season when they were blowing games. Still that wasn't totally their fault. This is the one area where I question Kenny and his off season.

When you have Boone Logan on your opening day lineup and he hasn't pitched above A ball you raise your eyebrows.

Lip

goon
08-13-2006, 12:27 PM
don't want to be a jerk but it's Macdougal. just a heads up.

goon
08-13-2006, 12:30 PM
The bullpen looks far better then in the first two months of the season when they were blowing games. Still that wasn't totally their fault. This is the one area where I question Kenny and his off season.

When you have Boone Logan on your opening day lineup and he hasn't pitched above A ball you raise your eyebrows.

Lip

yeah i suppose when you looked at what happened after the fact, you kind of have to scratch your head at kenny's choice not to pick up another arm for the pen. however, the only really questionable areas were hermanson and another left arm reliever in the pen. with the 50 lefty's we have in our minor league system he just assumed that one of them would step up and take the role in Spring Training never really happened. then the politte situation which was something he more than dealt with...

Lip Man 1
08-13-2006, 12:36 PM
Goon:

Actually he lost half the bullpen from the 2005 season by the middle of the spring. He traded Viz and Marte and Hermanson got hurt (again) throw in the possibility (which turned out to be true) of Politte having a career year in 2005 and like I said, you sit there scratching your head.

Lip

TornLabrum
08-13-2006, 12:44 PM
don't want to be a jerk but it's Macdougal. just a heads up.

Actually its MacDougal. Just a heads up.

The Immigrant
08-13-2006, 12:49 PM

All those Anglo names look alike to me. :tongue:

slobes
08-13-2006, 12:50 PM
Good article in the Trib about the pen today

Yeah it really shows the fun those guys have down there in the pen. Right now I think our bullpen is one of the Sox's strongest aspects. I'd say Cotts is our least reliable guy, and he's still an average/above average reliever. I have complete faith in every guy from the bullpen.

getonbckthr
08-13-2006, 12:52 PM
Can I call him MMac?

doctorlecter
08-13-2006, 12:59 PM
If Cotts can keep the ball down and remember how to get lefties out, he would be a HUGE addition to the pen. Even as is, I don't think that I trade our pen for anybody's.

jabrch
08-13-2006, 03:31 PM
Just 3 weeks ago everyone was bitching about how bad the pen is.

I trust KW, Cooper and Ozzie. I trust their evaluation of talent (Thornton was a fantastic call) and their ability to get these guys to deliver at their best (MacDougal). Nearly everone (starters, relievers and offensive players) will struggle at one point in time or another during a year. Only a few guys will have consistent MVP seasons from April to October. It's nice to see our guys are all starting get their stuff together!!!!

Maybe the Dark Clouds will shut up for a bit, and the Fair Weather Clouds will roll back in? (Not sure if that's good or bad, but the Fair Weather Clouds are at least less annoying.)

tick53
08-13-2006, 05:16 PM

Loved it today too! The acquistion of MacDougal and the maturing of Thornton and the WS experience of Jenks is starting to gel. I'm very optimistic!:smile:

gobears1987
08-13-2006, 05:22 PM
Our pen is an asset right now. I'm sure other teams envy our pen. We now have set roles. We have 3 legit set-up men in addition to good middle relief. Not to mention our closer.

Sox-o-matic
08-13-2006, 05:25 PM
The funny thing is that no one really even talks about Riske, and he's a former closer who can step it up and work a couple innings at once. When you have that type of stuff, and experience as well, coming out in the 6th inning, you have a heck of a pen.

Sox-o-matic
08-13-2006, 05:28 PM
Yeah it really shows the fun those guys have down there in the pen. Right now I think our bullpen is one of the Sox's strongest aspects. I'd say Cotts is our least reliable guy, and he's still an average/above average reliever. I have complete faith in every guy from the bullpen.

Yep. Even last year going into the ALCS against the Angels, I still thought that LAAA had a little bit better pen. Not anymore though. I think the Sox have the strongest bullpen in baseball, period.

Zisk77
08-13-2006, 05:28 PM
But we need to trade McCarthy for Howry & Eyre! :wink:

TornLabrum
08-13-2006, 05:33 PM
But we need to trade McCarthy for Howry & Eyre! :wink:

Isn't it amazing the **** that gets said by people who have trouble comprehending exactly what a 162-game season really is?

southwstchi4life
08-13-2006, 05:35 PM
I remember last year it seems like cotts and polite were always together like a tag team, always warmig up together and pitch right after one another, and were good. NOW Thornton/ Macdougal combo. and I Really like those 2 flame throwers as set up guys.

gobears1987
08-13-2006, 05:39 PM
I remember last year it seems like cotts and polite were always together like a tag team, always warmig up together and pitch right after one another, and were good. NOW Thornton/ Macdougal combo. and I Really like those 2 flame throwers as set up guys.What's even best is having the hard throwing southpaw in Thornton. After batters whiff on his 97 mph offerings, they get to see Jenks and his 99 mph fastball.

Wsoxmike59
08-13-2006, 05:51 PM
Coming out of spring training the bullpen was our biggest problem for the Sox. Hermanson was gone and it's questionable if he'll ever come back. Politte and Cotts who were both "lights out" in 2005 struggled to find their form this season.

The additions of Thornton, Riske, and Mike MacDougal were answers to our prayers. The Sox bullpen is now one of the team's strengths and these guys can be counted on to fill the roles of Politte and Hermanson without skipping a beat.

Kudos to KW, Ozzie and Coop for recognizing what they needed to do to shore up a "leaky" pen.

TornLabrum
08-13-2006, 05:59 PM
Speaking of Hermanson, and I can mention this because it'll be old news by the time the next WCSF newsletter goes out, Joey Cora said that Hermanson MAY be back for the September callups if he's ready. According to Cora, he can't pitch to more than three batters at a time at this point.

goon
08-13-2006, 06:14 PM

give me a break.

Ol' No. 2
08-13-2006, 06:50 PM
Speaking of Hermanson, and I can mention this because it'll be old news by the time the next WCSF newsletter goes out, Joey Cora said that Hermanson MAY be back for the September callups if he's ready. According to Cora, he can't pitch to more than three batters at a time at this point.Sorry, but it's already old news. I read it in last week's Tribune.

TornLabrum
08-13-2006, 07:29 PM
give me a break.

What would you like broken? :D:

goon
08-13-2006, 08:08 PM
What would you like broken? :D:

take my wife, please. :smile: