PDA

View Full Version : Anyone interested in Preston Wilson?

caulfield12
08-13-2006, 07:56 AM
http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/story.asp?id=216364

As a bench player and back-up for Anderson? Hard not to at least consider it, he does have 55 RBI's, twice BA's total.

Don't think it will happen...KW wants to keep the chemistry of this team the same IMO and not change things up now.

They would have to send Gload or Ozuna down and hope they didn't get claimed...

chaerulez
08-13-2006, 09:44 AM
Preston Wilson probably has the plate patience equal to BA. I don't think in any full season he's played he's struck out less than a 100 times. Which is fine if you have the average and power to justify it, but he doesn't. Gload is needed on the team as a backup 1B, and Ozuna has proved very useful this season, so I can't picture this happening.

WSox597
08-13-2006, 10:36 AM
Preston Wilson

Can he play left field and center field? If so, he may be worth considering as a backup outfielder. Ozuna is more comfortable in the infield, and Mackowiak ain't making it in center.

I've heard of the guy, but don't follow the NL so I'm not familiar with him.

bigfoot
08-13-2006, 11:03 AM
He's be a great "fit" on the Northside!:gulp:

Tragg
08-13-2006, 11:09 AM
Absolutely not. Exactly what we don't need.

I agree with the above- he fits the northside profile of player...high strikeout, no patience, etc.

If Aubrey Huff is a free agent, he might be a decent signing at a reasonable price for next year for a 4th outfielder/5th infielder...he can play infield or outfield and has a good lh bat.

A. Cavatica
08-13-2006, 11:53 AM
Absolutely not. Exactly what we don't need.

I agree with the above- he fits the northside profile of player...high strikeout, no patience, etc.

If Aubrey Huff is a free agent, he might be a decent signing at a reasonable price for next year for a 4th outfielder/5th infielder...he can play infield or outfield and has a good lh bat.

Agree on Wilson.

As for Huff -- he'll make way too much money to be a backup.

caulfield12
08-13-2006, 12:04 PM
And I wouldn't want Aubrey Huff anywhere near our outfield either...

Somehow, those darned Astros are going to do it again, and that top of the rotation has to be scaring the heck out of the Mets.

Save McCuddy's
08-13-2006, 12:11 PM
If the Dodgers hadn't just won like 20 games in a row to get back into the hunt, I sure would have been curious about bringing Lofton back to give us more bench talent.

getonbckthr
08-13-2006, 01:49 PM
I want Wily Tavaras as our 4th OF next year, I don't think it would take much to get him from Houston either.

beckett21
08-13-2006, 01:56 PM
I want Wily Tavaras as our 4th OF next year, I don't think it would take much to get him from Houston either.

I like Willy Taveras.

Preston Wilson, not so much.

Tragg
08-13-2006, 02:35 PM
I like Willy Taveras.

Preston Wilson, not so much.
The astros should be patient with him because he could turn into a fine CF.

I don't like him much as a 4th OF though...no pop at all.

santo=dorf
08-13-2006, 02:54 PM
Taveras sucks. Too many K's, not nearly enough walks.

Jose Cruz Jr. would be a much better option than Wilson.

jabrch
08-13-2006, 04:39 PM

I wouldn't mind him, but what about the kids we have on the farm? We could work in a Sweeney or Owens by letting them play a few days a week in a rotation.

I wouldn't mind Wily, but I wouldn't want to give much up for him.

batmanZoSo
08-13-2006, 04:40 PM
http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/story.asp?id=216364

As a bench player and back-up for Anderson? Hard not to at least consider it, he does have 55 RBI's, twice BA's total.

Don't think it will happen...KW wants to keep the chemistry of this team the same IMO and not change things up now.

They would have to send Gload or Ozuna down and hope they didn't get claimed...

This team is hot and clicking on all cylinders finally. We've had the tools all along, now they're all working. No, thank you.

DickAllen72
08-13-2006, 05:34 PM
No.

Domeshot17
08-13-2006, 05:51 PM
I really would not mind it but the question is at the expense of who?
you arent talking about him as a starting OF, you are talking about him as the 4th OF/defensive replacement. How much nicer would it be that when Ozzie Pinch Hits Mack for BA, Wilson trots out there in center (and keep in mind wilson has a FINE glove in the outfield!

The problem is this guy has a little big of an EGO and I am not sure if he would take nicely to being the 4th OF for defensive purposes only and have limited use of his bat

russ99
08-13-2006, 06:09 PM
Preston Wilson probably has the plate patience equal to BA.

Uh, no. Wilson has the worst plate patience as anyone I've seen. He's a horrible pitch chaser when behind in the count. The Astros signed him for power, and of course, his power numbers are horrible this year, especially in the second half. Brian is a solid hitter in comparison.

I saw this coming a mile away, especially with the emergence of Luke Scott. No thanks on Jose Cruz Jr. He's done. The Astros don't want him and his dad (the great "Cheo" Jose Cruz) is one of their coaches.

The Astros need to (and probably will) hold on to Willy Tavarez, he was rushed to the majors from AA and is only now coming into form as a hitter and fielder.

The Sox need to stay far, far away. I'd rather have Crazy Carl.

jabrch
08-13-2006, 06:10 PM
I really would not mind it but the question is at the expense of who?
you arent talking about him as a starting OF, you are talking about him as the 4th OF/defensive replacement. How much nicer would it be that when Ozzie Pinch Hits Mack for BA, Wilson trots out there in center (and keep in mind wilson has a FINE glove in the outfield!

I'd much rather have Mack out there. Heck, I'm not sure that I wouldn't keep BA over Wilson. Not sure if you have noticed, but BA has hit pretty damn well lately.

SOXSINCE'70
08-13-2006, 06:19 PM
I like Willy Taveras.

He sure hit White Sox pitching well in the WS.
But to no avail.The Astros bowed out in 4 games decided
by a total of 6 runs.:cool: :cool:

Daver
08-13-2006, 06:39 PM
Only if Preston Wilson is washing my truck.